On this page:
- Definition of the verb clothe
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for clothe
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for clothe
- Usage statistics about clothe
- Photos about clothe
- Video about clothe
- Quotes about clothe
- Scrabble value of C3L1O1T1H4E1
- Anagrams of CLOTHE
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the verb clothe
What does clothe mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections:
|simple past||past participle||present participle||third-person singular|
|primarily used in British English||clad||clad||clothing||clothes|
- provide with clothes or put clothes on
- lexical domain: Body Actions - verbs of grooming, dressing and bodily care
- synonyms of clothe: apparel / dress / enclothe / fit out / garb / garment / habilitate / raiment / tog
- more generic terms: change state / turn = undergo a transformation or a change of position or action
- more specific terms:
- prim out / prim up / prim = dress primly
- wrap up / cover = clothe, as if for protection from the elements
- jacket = put a jacket on
- frock = put a frock on
- shirt = put a shirt on
- habit = put a habit on
- vesture = provide or cover with a cloak
- overclothe / overdress = dress too warmly
- underdress = dress without sufficient warmth
- corset = dress with a corset
- shoe = furnish with shoes
- coat = cover or provide with a coat
- dress up / costume = dress in a costume
- robe / vest = clothe formally
- gown = dress in a gown
- furnish with power or authority; of kings or emperors
- cover as if with clothing
Alternative definition of the verb clothe
- [transitive] To adorn or cover with clothing; to dress; to supply clothes or clothing.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for clothe
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Robert McGill Loughridge, David M. Hodge
to clothe. Vtcecv'ketv ...
The London encyclopaedia, or, Universal dictionary of science, art, literature, and practical mechanics, by the orig. ed. of the Encyclopaedia metropolitana [T. Curtis]. (1839)
by Thomas Curtis (of Grove house sch, Islington)
Clothes, plural. Clothe, v. a. k. n. Clo'thieb, n. ». Clo'thinc, n.s. Cloth-shearer, n.s. Cloth- pbessing, ...
by Matthias Bedrossian
clothes, garments. * Holme-os, +kgo, vna. to clothe, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for clothe
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about clothe
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb clothe:
Photos about clothe
Click on an item to view that photo:
Clothes are delivered to cupministry.org along with several other locations.
Photo credit: James Willamor
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about clothe
Video shows what clothe means. To adorn or cover with clothing; to dress; to supply clothes or clothing.. To cover or invest, as if with a garment.. Clothe Meaning ...
See also the pronunciation examples of clothe!
Quotes about clothe
Scrabble value of C3L1O1T1H4E1
The value of this 6-letter word is 11 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.Couldn't select: Got error 28 from storage engine