On this page:
Definition of the noun clupeid
What does clupeid mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: clupeids
- any of numerous soft-finned schooling food fishes of shallow waters of northern seas
- lexical domain: Animals - nouns denoting animals
- synonym of clupeid: clupeid fish
- more generic terms: malacopterygian / soft-finned fish = any fish of the superorder Malacopterygii
- more specific terms:
- shad = herring-like food fishes that migrate from the sea to fresh water to spawn
- Pomolobus pseudoharengus / Alosa pseudoharengus / alewife = shad-like food fish that runs rivers to spawn; often salted or smoked
- Brevoortia tyrannis / menhaden = shad-like North American marine fishes used for fish meal and oil and fertilizer
- Clupea harangus / herring = commercially important food fish of northern waters of both Atlantic and Pacific
- sardine = any of various small edible herring or related food fishes frequently canned
- Sardina pilchardus / pilchard / sardine = small fishes found in great schools along coasts of Europe
- member of: Clupeidae / family Clupeidae = herrings; shad; sardines
Alternative definition of the noun clupeid
- Any of many soft-finned fish of the family Clupeidae
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for clupeid
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Clupeoid Fishes of the World (suborder Clupeoidei): Chirocentridae, Clupeidae, and Pristigasteridae (1985)
by Peter James Palmer Whitehead
Throughout the Catalogue the term clupeoid refers to members of the suborder Clupeoidei; clupeid refers to the family Clupeidae, pristigasterid to the family Pristigasteridae, and enqraulid to the family Engraulididae; the subfamily names are ...
Clupeid,e. The fishes of this family exhibit considerable analogies to the Salmonoids, differing, however, in the absence of an adipose dorsal. Both maxillaries and intermaxillaries are employed in forming the margin of the upper jaw, instead of ...
by Clive Upton, William A. Kretzschmar, Jr.
-z AM ' klonkor, -Z Cluny BR "kluni AM "kluni clupeid BR 'klu.piid AM 'klupid clupeoid BR ...
A Standard Work of Reference in Art, Literature, Science, History, Geography, Commerce, Biography, Discovery and Invention... with New American Supplement, Complete in Thirty Volumes
CLUPEID/E, a formerly recognized family of fishes, nearly allied to the Salmonz' dte. In this family the herring, pilchard, anchovy, sardine, etc., were included, but it is now subdivided into several families. CLUSERET, GUSTAVE PAUL, a French ...
A Dictionary of Literature, the Sciences and the Arts, for Popular Use
Clupeid*, of diminutive size.
The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia: The Century dictionary ... prepared under the superintendence of William Dwight Whitney (1903)
In Cuvier's system, the fifth family of Mala# abdominales: same as Clupeidae, (a). S o Clupeoidei. clupeid (klö'pë-id), n. A fish of the family [NL., & Clupea Clupeidae.
A New and Original Work Presenting for Convenient Reference the Orthography, Pronuciation, Meaning, Use, Origin and Development of Every Word in the English Language... by Robert Hunter, Charles Morris
Chambers's Encyclopaedia (1883)
A Dictionary of Universal Knowledge for the People
CLUBBING— CLUPEID.E. CLUPESOCIDiE— CLYDE. CLYDE— COACH. COACH-DOG— COAL. COAL. COAL-BEDS— CO ALITION. system. There ore ulso about 20 woiking-men's clubs.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for clupeid
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Video about clupeid
Video shows what clupeid means. Any of many soft-finned fish of the family Clupeidae.. Clupeid Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to ...
Scrabble value of C3L1U1P3E1I1D2
The value of this 7-letter word is 12 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.Couldn't select: Got error 28 from storage engine