The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun cob:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun cob
- Definition of the verb cob
- Other definitions of cob
- Phrases with Cob
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Cob
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Cob
- Photos about Cob
- Video language resources about Cob
- Quotes about Cob
- Scrabble value of C3O1B3
- Anagrams of COB
- Share this page
Cob is sometimes a misspelling of chop.
The word cob is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun cob
What does cob mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: cobs
- nut of any of several trees of the genus Corylus
- lexical domain: Foods & Drinks - nouns denoting foods and drinks
- synonyms of cob: cobnut / filbert / hazelnut
- more generic term: edible nut = a hard-shelled seed consisting of an edible kernel or meat enclosed in a woody or leathery shell
- part of: hazel / hazelnut / hazelnut tree = any of several shrubs or small trees of the genus Corylus bearing edible nuts enclosed in a leafy husk
- stocky short-legged harness horse
- white gull having a black back and wings
- lexical domain: Animals - nouns denoting animals
- scientific name: Larus marinus
- synonyms of cob: black-backed gull / great black-backed gull
- more generic terms: gull / sea gull / seagull = mostly white aquatic bird having long pointed wings and short legs
- member of: genus Larus / Larus = type genus of the Laridae
- geographic area: Caribbean, North America
- adult male swan
Alternative definition of the noun cob
- A male swan.
- The portion of a corn plant around which the kernels grow.
- a round loaf of bread; a small (4" diameter), round piece of crusty bread (in the English Midlands)
- short for cobnut
- short for cobble or cobblestone
- A building material consisting of clay, sand, straw, water, and earth, similar to adobe. Also called cobb, rammed earth or pisé.
- a horse having a stout body and short legs
- [context: East Anglia] a gull.
Definition of the verb cob
What does cob mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: cobbed | cobbing | cobs
- To cut, trim or break into blocks of a convenient size.
- To construct using mud blocks or to seal a wall using mud or an artificial equivalent.
- (possibly colloquial, N UK) to throw, chuck, lob
Other definitions of cob
What does cob also mean?
- Close Of Business (Day)
CoB a.k.a. Children of Bodom is a melodic death metal band from Espoo, Finland.
- read more about Children of Bodom
- Cob is a fictional character in the 2010 animated fantasy adventure film Tales from Earthsea.
- Cob is a fictional character from Annoying Orange.
- Cob, cobb or clom is a natural building material made from sand, clay, water, some kind of fibrous or organic material and earth. Cob is fireproof, resistant to seismic activity, and inexpensive. It can be used to create artistic, sculptural forms and has been revived in recent years by the natural building and sustainability movements.
- Cob: A cob is a small horse, usually of a stout build, with strong bones, large joints, and steady disposition; it is a body type of horse rather than a specific breed. Historically, in the United Kingdom and, to a lesser extent, the eastern United States, a 'cob' may be a common horse used for everyday riding.
- Cob a.k.a. Chicomuceltec Language: Chicomuceltec is a Mayan language formerly spoken in the region defined by the municipios of Chicomuselo, Mazapa de Madero, and Amatenango de la Frontera in Chiapas, Mexico, as well as some nearby areas of Guatemala. By the 1970s–80s it had become extinct, with recent reports in Mayanist literature finding that there are no living native speakers. Communities of contemporary Chicomucelteco descendants, numbering approximately 1500 persons in Mexico and 100 in Guatemala are Spanish speakers.
- also known as Cac'chiquel Mam, Cakchiquel Mam, Chicomulcelteco, Chicomuceltec
- Cob is a file format.
Phrases with Cob
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Cob
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Barrett Hazeltine, Christopher Bull
COB STRUCTURES Jessica Wurwarg Cob is an ancient building material composed of clay, sand, ...
The Hand-sculpted House (2002)
A Philosophical and Practical Guide to Building a Cob Cottage by Ianto Evans, Linda Smiley, Michael G. Smith
Cob is a composite building material, a mixture of earth, clay, sand, straw, and water, hand-worked into monolithic earthen walls. No forms, no cement, no ramming, no machinery. Adobe means sundried earthen bricks, the material they are ...
Complete Horse Riding Manual (2012)
by William Micklem
COBS A cob is the ideal flexible family horse. At around 15 hands (5 ft/1.5 m), cobs have great strength and...
A cob is a type of small horse that can carry a heavier rider than a pony. The cob is possibly the most flexible and useful of all the ...
Green Circles (2007)
A Sustainable Journey from the Cradle to the Grave by Chuck Hall
Cob is a versatile and aesthetic material in that it can also be used to build sculpture, garden walls and outdoor ovens. Since its major...
by Rev. William MARRIOTT
BONSAL COB Is a small projection from the western foot of the brow, on the right of the aperture to the Long hill, ...
The Lives of the Right Hon. Francis North, Baron Guilford, Lord Keeper of the Great Seal, Under King Charles II and King James II (1826)
The Hon. Sir Dudley North, Commissioner of the Customs, and Afterwards of the Treasury, to King Charles II : And the Hon. and Rev. Dr. John North, Master of Trinity College, Cambridge, and Clerk of the Closet to King Charles II by Roger North
The Cob is a mole built in the sea, about two furlongs from the town, and named from the cobble stone, of which it is compiled. There is not any one like it in the world : for though it is an immense mass of stone, of the shape of a demilune, with ...
Living Off the Grid (2008)
A Simple Guide to Creating and Maintaining a Self-Reliant Supply of Energy, Water, Shelter, and More by David Black
Cob is a mixture of sand, clay, water, and straw, applied directly to the foundation by hand or shovel, and then massaged into shape. Most of the work is done by LEAvING ThE GRID: ShELTER 61.
by Tom Dalzell, Terry Victor
disagreeable man US, 1954 The president, a fairly rough old cob, said just a little angrily,
by Phil Gunson, Andrew Thompson, Greg Chamberlain
The COB has never been affiliated to any international body, but has close links with the World Federation of Trade Unions (WFTU) and its Latin American wing, CPUSTAL. It has from the beginning been the strongest challenger to the power ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Cob
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Cob
Click on an item to view that photo:
Sigma 120-400mm. 400mm. 1/800 @ f5.6. ISO 200
Photo credit: Flawka
- Cob Web
Photo credit: allie_hogg
- Cob web
Photo credit: cerealbawx
- The Cob
Macro Mondays ~ Found In The Kitchen
Photo credit: 2bmolar ~ Off & On
- Mute Swan ...Adult male ( Cob )
Photo credit: peterichman
- The Cob
Photo credit: Matty Ring
View more pictures about Corn on the cob.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Cob
Click on an item to play that video:
- COB Meaning
Video shows what COB means. Close of Business, usually referring to a deadline for an office in another time zone.. Coordination of Benefits. Chairman of the ...
- Cob Meaning
Video shows what cob means. A male swan.. A corncob.. A round, often crusty roll or loaf of bread.. cob pronunciation. How to pronounce, definition by ...
- TJ-The definition of a cob
- Kearn's lego Plants v Zombies explanation - cob canon
Recorded on November 16, 2011 using a Flip Video camera.
View more videos about Corn on the cob.
See also the pronunciation examples of Cob!
Quotes about Cob
It is a cob stripped of maize in an ashpit.
more quotes about cob...
Scrabble value of C3O1B3
The value of this 3-letter word is 7 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of COB
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of Cob!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Cob to see it in context!