The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun col:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun col
- Phrases with Col
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Col
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Col
- Photos about Col
- Videos about Col
- Quotes about Col
- Scrabble value of C3O1L1
- Anagrams of COL
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun col
What does col mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: cols
- a pass between mountain peaks
- lexical domain: Natural Objects - nouns denoting natural objects (not man-made)
- synonym of col: gap
- more generic terms: mountain pass / notch / pass = the location in a range of mountains of a geological formation that is lower than the surrounding peaks
- more specific terms:
- Col a.k.a. Colombia, officially the Republic of Colombia, is a country situated in the northwest of South America, bordered to the northwest by Panama; to the east by Venezuela and Brazil; to the south by Ecuador and Peru; and it shares maritime limits with Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, Jamaica, Dominican Republic and Haiti. It is a unitary, constitutional republic comprising thirty-two departments.
- Col a.k.a. Coll Airport: Coll Island Airport is located 5 NM west southwest of Arinagour on the Isle of Coll in the Inner Hebrides. Highland Airways who originally operated the route to Oban went into administration in 2010, but a new operator, Hebridean Air Services now operates the route under a PSO with flights to Oban, Tiree and Colonsay. The aircraft used for the flights are a Britten-Norman Islander.
- part of Coll
- Col a.k.a. Río Colorado Airport is a public use airport located 4 kilometres west of Río Colorado, Río Negro, Argentina.
- Col a.k.a. Colin Mochrie: Colin Andrew Mochrie is a Scottish-born Canadian actor and improvisational comedian, most famous for his appearances on the British and U.S. versions of television improvisation show Whose Line Is It Anyway?.
- read more about Colin Mochrie (comedian)
- Col a.k.a. Samuel Taylor Coleridge was an English poet, literary critic and philosopher who, with his friend William Wordsworth, was a founder of the Romantic Movement in England and a member of the Lake Poets. He wrote the poems The Rime of the Ancient Mariner and Kubla Khan, as well as the major prose work Biographia Literaria. His critical work, especially on Shakespeare, was highly influential, and he helped introduce German idealist philosophy to English-speaking culture. He coined many familiar words and phrases, including the celebrated suspension of disbelief. He was a major influence on Emerson, and American transcendentalism.
- read more about Samuel Taylor Coleridge (philosopher)
- Col a.k.a. Colin McKay is a professional skateboarder who is widely recognized for his involvement with the original Plan B skateboards "superteam", as well as the subsequent relaunch of the brand in 2005.
- read more about Colin McKay
- Col a.k.a. Colleen Dengel is an actress.
- read more about Colleen Dengel (actress)
Col is a record label.
- Col is a fictional character in the 1971 film Carlos.
- Col is a fictional character from the 2011 film The Eye of the Storm.
- Col is a fictional character from the 1992 film The Crying Game.
- Col is a fictional character from the 1987 film High Tide.
- Col is a fictional character from the 1982 Australian children's film Save the Lady.
"Col" is a composition.
"Col" a.k.a. "Çöl" is a 1983 film written by Cüneyt Arkın and Çetin İnanç and directed by Çetin İnanç.
Col is a pencil and paper game, specifically a map-coloring game, involving the shading of areas in a line drawing according to the rules of Graph coloring. With each move, the graph must remain proper, and a player who cannot make a legal move loses. The game was described and analysed by John Conway, who attributed it to Colin Vout, in On Numbers and Games.
- Col a.k.a. Columbia-Wenatchi Language: Columbia-Moses, or Columbia-Wenatchi, is a Southern Interior Salish language, also known as Nxaảmxcín.
- also known as Wenatchi-columbia, Columbia-Moses language
- Col is a file format.
- Col a.k.a. Kiorr Language is an human language.
- read more about Kiorr Language
Phrases with Col
Phrases starting with the word Col:
Other phrases containing the word Col:
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Col
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Gas Cyclones and Swirl Tubes (2013)
Principles, Design, and Operation by Alex C. Hoffmann, Louis E. Stein
and thus col is a function of loading.
Personalized Learning Environments by George D. Magoulas, Sherry Y. Chen
Text- Col is a tool designed to support readers in deep processing of texts by letting the readers change appearance of the text based on different strategies for categorizing words. Text-Col is a reading tool and exploring tool aimed to make ...
The col is the depression between the buccal and lingual papillae of two adjacent teeth. It is made of nonkeratinized tissue and conforms to the interproximal contact area. ANS: A Both statements are true (A). The col is the depression between ...
by David H. Jonassen, Association for Educational Communications and Technology
COL is an intergovernmental organization made up of leaders of more than 50 commonwealth governments including...
by Graham Robb
A col is the lowest point on the saddle between two mountains. Graham Robb has spent years uncovering and cataloguing the 2,002 cols and 105 passes scattered across the British Isles.
Walks and Strolls Near Lodgings by Kathy Morey
Lamarck; Lamarck Col is a little left of it; and Peak 12153 towers to the right.
by Tom Dunmore
Deportivo Cali (COL) 1979 Olimpia (PAR) Boca Juniors (ARG) 1980 Nacional ( URU) ...
ENCYCLOPAEDIA BRITANNICA; Or, A DICTIONARY of Arts and Sciences, Compiled Upon a New Plan. In Wich the Different Science and Arts are Digested Into Distinct Treatises Or Systems; and The Various Technical Terms, ... are Explained as They Occur in the Order of the Alphabet. Illustrated with One Hundred and Sixty Copperplates, by a Society of Gentlemen in Scotland. IN THREE VOLUMES. Edinburgh: Printed for A. Bell and C. Macfarquhar; and Fold by Colin Macfarquhar, at this Printing-office, Nicolson Street. M.D.CC.LXXI. (1771)
column 2. line 39. For fig. 31. read fig. 3. P. 425. col.
by Joan M. Marter
col.), in which the reactions between two people inside a confined ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Col
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Col
Click on an item to view that photo:
View more pictures about Col du Tourmalet.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Col
Click on an item to play that video:
- THE TRUE DEFINITION OF VALOR & COURAGE!!! - COL. Robert L. Howard, SF (Green Beret)
Medal of Honor citation The President of the United States in the name of The Congress takes pride in presenting the MEDAL OF HONOR to FIRST ...
- Col Meaning
Video shows what col means. A dip between mountain peaks in a summit-line.. col pronunciation. How to pronounce, definition by Wiktionary dictionary. col ...
- Lt Col Peters Discusses Ash Carter's explanation of Obama's non-strategy
This video is about Lt Col Peters Discusses Ash Carter's explanation of Obama's non-strategy.
- Col (P) Combs Air Assault explanation
Colonel (P) Peggy Combs, Deputy Commander, U.S. Army Cadet Command, Fort Knox Kentucky, was the guest of honor at the Union League Club, Boys and ...
- Soccer Explanation-4 COl. Class
- C9 vs coL | Cloud 9 vs compLexity Gaming (05.09.2015) [NA] ESL HML Summer 2015 Playoff
ESL Heroes Major League Summer 2015 Playoff Cloud 9 vs compLexity Gaming Organizer - ESL Stream -...
- New coL & dig Players, ESL Australia, CPS Finals, OGN - February 4th - League of Legends Daily News
Complexity picks up The Brunch Club...
- COL In Local Language
Commonwealth of Learning, COL, encourages the use of local languages for Open Distance Learning, ODL to inform and educate communities on mother and ...
- MouzCC Hasu vs coL Killer - Best of 5 - Intel Extreme Masters ESL 2012 - Starcraft 2
- 5/25/14 Col 4: 3-6 "Salty Language" Series: The mission of Jesus Christ and his Church
View more videos about Col legno.
See also the pronunciation examples of Col!
Quotes about Col
Scrabble value of C3O1L1
The value of this 3-letter word is 5 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of COL
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of Col!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Col to see it in context!