On this page:
- Definition of the noun communication
- Phrases with Communication
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Communication
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Communication
- Photos about Communication
- Video language resources about Communication
- Sign language
- Quotes about Communication
- Scrabble value of C3O1M3M3U1N1I1C3A1T1I1O1N1
- Anagrams of COMMUNICATION
- Share this page
Communication is a member of the word family communicate, included in the Academic Word List by Dr. Averil Coxhead, which contains the 570 most frequent word families used in academic texts from a variety of subject areas, of interest for students that learn the words most needed to study at tertiary institutions.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun communication
What does communication mean as a name of something?
Communication is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: communications
- the activity of communicating; the activity of conveying information
- example: they could not act without official communication from Moscow
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- synonym of communication: communicating
- more generic terms: act / deed / human action / human activity = something that people do or cause to happen
- more specific terms:
- transmission = communication by means of transmitted signals
- intercommunication = mutual communication
- medium = an intervening substance through which signals can travel as a means for communication
- communication channel / channel / line = a means of communication or access
- postal service / mail service / mail / post = the system whereby messages are transmitted via the post office
- dramatic art / dramaturgy / dramatics / theater / theatre = the art of writing and producing plays
- discussion / discourse / treatment = an extended communication (often interactive) dealing with some particular topic
- exhortation = a communication intended to urge or persuade the recipients to take some action
- verbal expression / expression / verbalism = the communication (in speech or writing) of your beliefs or opinions
- examination / exam / test = a set of questions or exercises evaluating skill or knowledge
- persuasion / suasion = the act of persuading
- dissuasion = persuading not to do or believe something
- expostulation / remonstration / remonstrance / objection = the act of expressing earnest opposition or protest
- contact / touch = a communicative interaction
- traffic = the amount of activity over a communication system during a given period of time
- something that is communicated by or to or between people or groups
- lexical domain: Tops - unique beginner for nouns
- more generic terms: abstract entity / abstraction = a general concept formed by extracting common features from specific examples
- more specific terms:
- publication = the communication of something to the public
- message = a communication (usually brief) that is written or spoken or signaled
- contagion / infection = the communication of an attitude or emotional state among a number of people
- linguistic communication / language = a systematic means of communicating by the use of sounds or conventional symbols
- written communication / written language / black and white = communication by means of written symbols
- subject matter / substance / content / message = what a communication that is about something is about
- didacticism = communication that is suitable for or intended to be instructive
- signaling / signal / sign = any nonverbal action or gesture that encodes a message
- sign = a public display of a message
- indication / indicant = something that serves to indicate or suggest
- visual communication = communication that relies on vision
- display = exhibiting openly in public view
- expressive style / style = a way of expressing something (in language or art or music etc.) that is characteristic of a particular person or group of people or period
- paralinguistic communication / paralanguage = the use of manner of speaking to communicate particular meanings
- auditory communication = communication that relies on hearing
- vocalisation / vocalization / phonation / vocalism / voice / vox = the sound made by the vibration of vocal folds modified by the resonance of the vocal tract
- anomalous communication / psychical communication / psychic communication = communication by paranormal means
- voice = something suggestive of speech in being a medium of expression
- document = a written account of ownership or obligation
- a connection allowing access between persons or places
- examples: how many lines of communication can there be among four people? | a secret passageway provided communication between the two rooms
- lexical domain: Relations - nouns denoting relations between people or things or ideas
- more generic words: connectedness / connection / connexion = a relation between things or events
Alternative definition of the noun communication
- [uncountable] The concept or state of exchanging information between entities.
- The potential for information exchange.
- A message; the essential data transferred in an act of communication.
- The body of all data transferred to one or both parties during an act of communication.
- An instance of information transfer; a conversation or discourse.
- A passageway or opening between two locations.
- [anatomy] A connection between two tissues, organs, or cavities.
- "Communication" is a 1971 R&B album recorded by Bobby Womack. It reached No. 5 on the Billboard R&B chart and No. 20 on the Billboard Jazz Chart in 1972. It included the hit single, "That's The Way I Feel About Cha", which charted at No. 2 on the Billboard R&B Singles chart and No. 27 on the Billboard pop chart. The album became Womack's breakthrough spawning the hit single "That's The Way I Feel About Cha" and a favorite Womack album track, " Give It Back", which Womack recorded three times after the original, the first remake, a slower acoustic version, was issued on the soundtrack of the film, Across 110th Street, and an instrumental by J. J. Johnson's band. The fourth time Womack recorded it was with Rolling Stones singer and musician Ron Wood. Womack recorded his own versions of James Taylor's "Fire and Rain", Ray Stevens' "Everything Is Beautiful" and featured a spoken word monologue in his cover of the Burt Bacharach and Hal David standard, " Close to You".
- "Communication" released in 2003, is the first solo album of Karl Bartos, featuring such songs as "I'm the Message", "Camera" and "Ultraviolet". Some editions of the CD comes in a special Burgopak -case, which is unusual in that the CD tray and booklet both emerge sliding out from opposite sides of the case and must be opened together.
- "Communication" is the debut album by the Jazz Composer's Orchestra featuring compositions by Michael Mantler and Carla Bley performed by Paul Bley, Steve Lacy, Jimmy Lyons, Roswell Rudd, Archie Shepp, John Tchicai, Fred Pirtle, Willie Ruff, Ken McIntyre, Robin Kenyatta, Bob Carducci, Kent Carter, Steve Swallow, Milford Graves, and Barry Altschul. The album was released on the Fontana label in 1965.
- "Communication" a.k.a. "Communication!!!" is the second studio album by American-born Japanese pop singer Leah Dizon. It was released on August 20, 2008 by Victor Entertainment. Dizon herself also wrote or co-wrote 10 of the tracks, along with composing 2 herself. It was released in a CD-only and CD + DVD format and it includes the title tracks from her two latest singles, Love Paradox and Vanilla, as well as two b-sides.
- genre: J-pop
- released on (6 years ago)
- "Communication" was released as the third single from The Power Station's 1985 debut album. It featured "Communication", "Communication" and "Murderess" as the B-side. The remixes were done by Bernard Edwards and Josh Abbey.
- "Communication" is a 1971 album by Nelson Riddle and his orchestra. It was Riddle's first album for German record label MPS preceding Changing Colors.
- "Communication" is Hitomi Takahashi's 4th single under the Sony Records label. The single was released in only one format on July 12, 2006, nearly eight months after her last single Aozora no NAMIDA.
- "Communication" is a musical single of Armin van Buuren.
- released in (16 years ago)
- "Communication" a.k.a. "Communication Part 3" is a cataloged instance, composition.
- also known as Communication Part 2; Communication, Part 2
- music and lyrics by Armin van Buuren
- "Communication" is a musical EP of Andreas Leifeld.
- released in (19 years ago)
- "Communication" a.k.a. "comunication" is a musical album of Isis Signum.
Communication: By and large, Communication is a purposeful activity of exchanging information and meaning across space and time using various technical or natural means, whichever is available or preferred.
- also known as Communications
Phrases with Communication
Phrases starting with the word Communication:
- Communication Mix
- communication system
- communication theory
- communication trench
- communication channel
- Communication studies
Phrases ending with the word Communication:
- data communication
- oral communication
- Space Communication
- voice communication
- animal communication
- phatic communication
- Record Communication
- speech communication
- spoken communication
- Verbal Communication
- visual communication
- digital communication
- psychic communication
- Two-way communication
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Communication
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Business Communication (2009)
by Vikram Bisen, Priya
Communication is the life blood of any organization and its main purpose is to effect change to influence action.
Advertising Management (2004)
by C.L. Tyagi, Arun Kumar
CONSUMER COMMUNICATION Consumer communication is the tool that marketers use to persuade consumers to act in a desired way such as to vote, to make a purchase...
Communication is a continuous process of telling, ordering, commanding, listening, questioning and answering.
Communication is the conveying of information from one person to another. It is two-way...
Ubiquitous Computing and Ambient Intelligence: Context-Awareness and Context-Driven Interaction (2013)
7th International Conference, UCAmI 2013, Carrillo, Costa Rica, December 2-6, 2013, Proceedings by Gabriel Urzaiz, Gabriela Ochoa, Jose Bravo, Liming Luke Chen, Jonice Oliveira
Easing Communication Means Selection Using Context Information and Semantic Technologies Koldo Zabaleta, Pablo Curiel, and Ana B. Lago Deusto Institute of Technology, DeustoTech MORElab, Envisioning Future Internet University of ...
Effective Tech Communication (2005)
Firstly, communication is a dynamic interactive process that involves the effective transmission of facts, ideas, thoughts, feelings, and values. It is not...
Communication is any behavior that results in an exchange of meaning. American Management Association Communication is an exchange of meaning and understanding.
Basics in Medical Education (2003)
by Zubair Amin, Hoon Eng Khoo
Communication is a Learnable Skill There is increasing realization that teaching and learning communication is a...
Good communication is an inherent quality of the person and therefore good communicators are born and not trained. Current ...
BUSINESS STUDIES (2016)
(E-BOOK) by Dr. S. K. Singh, Sanjay Gupta
Communication means conveying of information from one person to another. Hudson 4. Communication is an exchange of facts, ideas, opinions or emotions by two or more persons. William Newman The...
by group of authors
Communication is an irreversible process; it is possible to correct sent information, but it is not possible to withdraw it • It...
• Communication is a complex process because it consists of many elements Table 1.
An Introduction and Recontextualization for Our Times by J. Garrison, S. Neubert, K. Reich
Explaining participation Dewey says, “Communication is the process of creating participation, of making common what had been isolated and...
The concept of communication is a key element in Dewey's theories of culture and education.
by Omar Swartz
For example: ́ Communication is a method of conveying ideas, emotions, information, and directing between people and...
by Shalini Verma
Communication is a social activity.
Another very simple definition of ' communication' has been provided by W. H. Newman and C. F. Summer Jr: ' communication is an exchange of facts, ideas, opinions, or emotions by two or more persons';.3 ...
by Manjunath V.S.
Communication is the process of transmission of information or message from one person to another. It involves exchange of...
Internal Audit Knowledge Elements by S. Rao Vallabhaneni
Downward communication refers to the messages and information sent from a higher-level to a lower-level in the management hierarchy (e.g., goals, strategies, mission, vision, directives, policies, procedures, and performance feedback).
The Knowledgeable Patient (2011)
Communication and Participation in Health by Sophie Hill
Communication is a key component of patient satisfaction surveys and may inform policies for achieving more responsive services internationally (see Chapters 1 and 2). But more than that, in a hospital and healthcare context, communication ...
Caged in Our Own Signs (1996)
A Book about Semiotics by Kyong Liong Kim
Communication is a foundational process laying the ground for, and preparing for , a broader semiosis. It may constitute a fundamental network on which signification can occur collectively within a subculture. Furthermore, communication takes ...
FAA-H-8083-9A by Federal Aviation Administration
Effective communication is an essential element of instruction.
by Federal Aviation Administration, United States. National Weather Service
Effective communication is an essential element of instruction.
Social Encounters (1973)
Communication is a term used to describe the structured dynamic processes relating to the interconnectedness of living...
Professional Communication (2008)
Communication is an essential requirement for all human performance and interaction. It welds individuals into groups: by developing common interests, by crystallising common concepts, by establishing relationships, by extending ...
by Wolfgang Donsbach
health campaigns, communication in health...
by Stephen W. Littlejohn, Karen A. Foss
Practical Theory Cognitive Theories Indian Rasa Theory Broadcasting Theories Critical Theory Frankfurt School Modernism in Communication Theory Popular Culture Theories Power and Power Relations Motivated ...
by Susanna Hornig Priest
Technical communication involves managing technical information in ways that allow people to take action. This definition is broadly stated, because the field of technical communication is evolving rapidly due to advances in electronic forms ...
by Wang, Victor C. X.
Judith Parker Columbia University, USA ABSTRACT Communication technology has influenced every aspect of our personal and professional lives. Yet, much of the literature on this influence focuses on the impact it has had on our actions ...
by Guido Hermann Stempel
Marc Edge FAMILY COMMUNICATION PATTERNS 47 FALWELL, ...
Encyclopaedia of AIDS (2003)
by G.C. Satpathy
Introduction An effective communication strategy is a critical component of the global endeavours in HIV/ AIDS prevention and education. Such a strategy should be grounded in a sound theory such that the resulting framework is flexible ...
by Joyce J. Fitzpatrick, PhD, MBA, RN, FAAN, Meredith Kazer, PhD, APRN, A/GNP-BC
strategies for improving nursing student's interpersonal communication skills were also explored without any reference to interpersonal models of practice as a guiding factor (Jones, 2007). Interpersonal communications problems in the ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Communication
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Communication
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: "KIUKO"
Photo credit: http://underclassrising.net/
Satellite television is television programming delivered by the means of communications satellite and received by an outdoor antenna, usually a parabolic reflector generally referred to as a satellite dish, and as far as household usage is concerned, a satellite receiver either in the form of an external set-top box or a satellite tuner module built into a TV set. Satellite TV tuners are also available as a card or a USB peripheral to be attached to a personal computer. In many areas of the world satellite television provides a wide range of channels and services, often to areas that are not serviced by terrestrial or cable providers.
Direct-broadcast satellite television comes to the general public in two distinct flavors - analog and digital. This necessitates either having an analog satellite receiver or a digital satellite receiver. Analog satellite television is being replaced by digital satellite television and the latter is becoming available in a better quality known as high-definition television.
Photo credit: Helgi Halldórsson/Freddi
Photo credit: David Bergin Photography
Communication Revolution in rural India.
Photo credit: Koshyk
Photo credit: Transformer18
Lensbaby Composer Pro/Sweet-35
Photo credit: Anne Worner
Photo credit: shikeroku
Photo credit: hardi_wb
a communication tower in downtown dallas with dark and cloudy skys
Photo credit: urbanfeel
Photo credit: jfinnirwin
Photo credit: ~Pawsitive~Candie_N
Photo credit: http://underclassrising.net/
Saving this for a presentation slide someday. Cheesy, right?
Photo credit: jackracker
Photo credit: nillamaria
- Ant communication
Photo credit: Dzipi
- Communication Room
Photo credit: Royal Sapien
- Communication room
Communication room in Titos bunker in Konjic, Bosnia.
Photo credit: petzoj
View more pictures about Communication Breakdown.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Communication
Click on an item to play that video:
- P3 Professionals Communication Jargon & Common language
P3 Professionals Ltd [email protected] A couple of snippets to highlight cgood communication should eliminate jargon where possible as well as use a common ...
- A Definition of Communication
- Definition of IMC ( Integrated Marketing Communication ) by Dr Yahya Alavi
- The Meaning of Development Communication
Created using PowToon -- Free sign up at...
- Semantic Triangle of Meaning for Interpersonal Communication
Video lecture by Associate Professor Cichy for college class in Interpersonal Communication at Sinclair Community College, Dayton, Ohio.
- Meaning of communication
The true meaning of communication which goes beyond the conventional belief (talking, understanding, getting a message across) and helps one become more ...
- Interpersonal Communication Vocabulary
- Autism Jargon: Functional Communication Training
Like Autism Live on Facebook at...
- Clinical communication skills - explanation Skills
A demonstration of the explanation skills used in a primary care consultation.
- DISC Communication Tool Explanation
This Online DISC Interactive Communications Tool should use on a daily basis when you want to know how to deal with anyone in any situation. If used often ...
- Multi-Cultural Communication: Slang
- Scaling Reciprocal Communication - the Search for Meaning: John Burger at TEDxUtrecht
John Burger has more than 20 years of experience in managing teams of professionals, projects, communication and change in international enterprises. After a ...
- Communication - Using Slang, Colloquialism
- Lessons in Detachment 8 of 10: Meaning of Communication is Response You Get
Vibrational Video Coaching: Lessons in Detachment #8 of 10: The Meaning of Your Communication is the Response You Get and If You Want to Know What ...
- Temporary Vocabulary for a Low Tech Communication Board
A demonstration of a dry erase board being used to "store" temporary vocabulary on a low tech communication board. Used by a individual with ALS (Lou ...
- Communication Skills - Avoiding Jargon & Slang
Jargon and slang can turn any business meeting into a communication nightmare.
- Explanation of minister of communication about web and blocking social networks
- NHB Academy Talk - Communication, Meaning-Making and Evaluation in the Museum
An excerpt of the NHB Academy Talk on Communication, Meaning-Making and Evaluation in the Museum by Dr Viv Golding on 4 November 2011. For more ...
- Welcome to Contemporary Communication: Making Sense of Text, Image and Meaning
A short welcome video for students of ALC101 Contemporary Communication: Making Sense of Text, Image and Meaning, a first-year undergraduate unit in ...
- Communication Meaning
Video shows what communication means. The act or fact of communicating anything; transmission.. The concept or state of exchanging data or information ...
- Language as Cultural Behavior: Context, Culture, and Communication
Series: House of Learning Speaker: Paul Warnick Title: Language as Cultural Behavior: Context, Culture, and Communication Date: January 15, 2009.
- Language as Communication
Table of Contents: 00:43 -
- Language Isn't for Communication 2
From : Noam Chomsky Grammar, Mind and Body A Personal View An incredibly difficult argument to get your head around, because the intuition that language ...
- A Mathematical Theory of Communication (Language of Coins: 12/16)
Claude Shannon demonstrated how to generate "english looking" text using Markov chains and how this gives a satisfactory representation of the statistical ...
- Body Language at Work and in Business: Tips for Better Communication
- Body Language Secrets: The #1 Mistake People Make--Eye Contact Communication Skills Training Video
- Dog Communication: Dog Body Language
New Puppy or Rescue dog? Don't miss this simple and fun video to learn dog language. Once you know how to speak dog your relationship will thrive! For more ...
- Communication Skills Training: body language secrets, speaking with confidence, magic responses++
- GENDER & COMMUNICATION Male Female Differences in Language and Nonverbal Behavior
- Terence Mckenna - Time, language and a new form of communication
See also the pronunciation examples of Communication!
Click on an item to play that video:
- Motor imitation/turn taking - a prerequisite for communication (American Sign Language)
This is a cute video of Sharon Weisz's son turn taking (motor imitation) - a prerequisite for communication Sharon is a speech-language pathologist and certified ...
- CESCES2008: VPAD by Viable, deaf people do sign language with video communication Pad
VPAD is a Smart device for Deaf people to communicate with sign language and video through the internet. The way they 'talk' about it is is amazing.
- Sign language communication using flex sensors Rs.8000/-
Sign language communication using Microcontroller and Flex Sensors with Voice Circuit Students will be provided with complete working hardware kit, project ...
- Marcos' Story - Sign Language and Effective Communication - HSBC NOW
Two years ago, Marcos Souza began to work with six deaf employees in his team in HSBC Brazil. Having never worked alongside members of the hearing ...
- Sign language launches communication, minimizes frustration
PULLMAN, Wash. - Infant/young toddler communication is often a challenge for everyone involved. It can include hand waving, indistinguishable noises, crying, ...
Quotes about Communication
The speed of communication, the speed of information transfer, the cheapness of communication, the ease of moving things around the world are a difference in kind as well as degree. (Paul A. Volcker)
more quotes about communication...
Scrabble value of C3O1M3M3U1N1I1C3A1T1I1O1N1
The value of this 13-letter word is 21 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of COMMUNICATION
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Communication!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Communication to see it in context!