On this page:
- Definition of the verb complain
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Complain
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Complain
- Usage statistics about complain
- Photos about Complain
- Video language resources about Complain
- Quotes about Complain
- Scrabble value of C3O1M3P3L1A1I1N1
- Anagrams of COMPLAIN
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the verb complain
What does complain mean as a doing word?
Complain is one of the top 1000 most common verbs in the English language.
verb - inflections: complained | complaining | complains
- express complaints, discontent, displeasure, or unhappiness
- examples: My mother complains all day | They complain that there was a traffic accident
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] Susan complained [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Topic, quotation] Ellen complained, 'The mail didn't come today.' [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Topic, that-complement clause] Susan complained that the party would be tonight [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] about [Topic] Ellen complained about the situation [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] about [Topic] to [Recipient] Ellen complained about the situation to Helen [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] to [Recipient] Susan complained to Rachel [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] to [Recipient] [Topic, quotation] Ellen complained to Helen, 'The mail didn't come today.' [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] to [Recipient] [Topic, that-complement clause] Susan complained to Rachel that the party would be tonight [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] to [Recipient] about [Topic] The prime minister complained to the former president about U.S. interference in his country's affairs
- lexical domain: Communication - verbs of telling, asking, ordering, singing
- synonyms of complain: kick / kvetch / plain / quetch / sound off
- antonym of complain: cheer
- more specific words:
- hen-peck / peck / nag = bother persistently with trivial complaints
- backbite / bitch = say mean things
- grizzle / yammer / whine / yawp = complain whiningly
- grumble / murmur / mutter / croak / gnarl = make complaining remarks or noises under one's breath
- grumble / grouch / scold = show one's unhappiness or critical attitude
- protest = utter words of protest
- repine = express discontent
- bellyache / grouse / holler / squawk / bitch / gripe / beef / crab = complain
- inveigh / rail = complain bitterly
- deplore / bemoan / bewail / lament = regret strongly
- report = complain about
- bleat = talk whiningly
- make a formal accusation; bring a formal charge
Complain is a cataloged instance, musical recording, canonical version.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Complain
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Bimetallic League (Great Britain)
The things measured have indeed increased ; and the fall of price of which you complain is the legitimate and natural, and beneficial consequence of increase of production and facility of communication, which things are an unalloyed benefit ...
The things measured have indee increased, and the and 1 prices 0 which you complain is the legitimate and natural and beaches consequence of increase of production and facility of communication, the“ things are an unalloyed benefit to all ...
The second grievance of which Ireland has to complain is the administration of justice. Yes, the administration of justice.
by Martin H Manser
COMPLAIN verb to make negative comments about something or someone: They complained to the manager about the food in the restaurant. bellyache (informal) to complain in a badtempered way: Jim is bellyaching about having to do the ...
by Louisa Pansegrouw
compare carefully 149 complain repeatedly compare carefully collate compare costs price compare critically collate compared with vis-a-vis compare in detail collate comparison agreement, alliance, analogy, apposition, association, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Complain
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about complain
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb complain:
Comparison of usage frequency between the verb complain and its most common antonym:
Photos about Complain
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Complain
Click on an item to play that video:
See also the pronunciation examples of Complain!
Quotes about Complain
Till people find themselves greatly abused and oppressed by their governors, they are not apt to complain; and whenever they do, in fact, find themselves thus abused and oppressed, they must be stupid not to complain. (Jonathan Mayhew)
more quotes about complain...
Scrabble value of C3O1M3P3L1A1I1N1
The value of this 8-letter word is 14 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.Couldn't select: Got error 28 from storage engine