On this page:
Definition of the noun composite plant
What does composite plant mean as a name of something?
- considered the most highly evolved dicotyledonous plants, characterized by florets arranged in dense heads that resemble single flowers
- lexical domain: Plants - nouns denoting plants
- synonym of composite plant: composite
- more generic word: flower = a plant cultivated for its blooms or blossoms
- more specific terms:
- compass flower / compass plant = any of several plants having leaves so arranged on the axis as to indicate the cardinal points of the compass
- everlasting flower / everlasting = any of various plants of various genera of the family Compositae having flowers that can be dried without loss of form or color
- stinking chamomile / stinking mayweed / Anthemis cotula / dog fennel / mayweed = widespread rank-smelling weed having white-rayed flower heads with yellow discs
- Anthemis tinctoria / golden marguerite / dyers' chamomile / yellow chamomile = Eurasian perennial herb with hairy divided leaves and yellow flowers
- Anthemis arvensis / field chamomile / corn chamomile / corn mayweed = European white-flowered weed naturalized in North America
- Chrysanthemum maximum / Leucanthemum maximum / oxeye daisy = similar to oxeye daisy
- Chrysanthemum maximum maximum / Leucanthemum superbum / shasta daisy = hybrid garden flower derived from Chrysanthemum maximum and Chrysanthemum lacustre having large white flower heads resembling oxeye daisies
- Chrysanthemum lacustre / Leucanthemum lacustre / Pyrenees daisy = perennial of Portugal similar to the oxeye daisy
- Chrysanthemum ptarmiciflorum / Tanacetum ptarmiciflorum / dusty miller / silver lace / silver-lace = shrubby perennial of the Canary Islands having white flowers and leaves and hairy stems covered with dustlike down
- Tanacetum vulgare / golden buttons / scented fern / tansy = common perennial aromatic herb native to Eurasia having buttonlike yellow flower heads and bitter-tasting pinnate leaves sometimes used medicinally
- crown beard / crown-beard / crownbeard = any plant of the genus Verbesina having clustered white or yellow flower heads
- member of: aster family / Asteraceae / Compositae / family Asteraceae / family Compositae = plants with heads composed of many florets: aster; daisy; dandelion; goldenrod; marigold; lettuces; ragweed; sunflower; thistle
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Composite Plant
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Derek Johnson M.D.(Alt. Med)
Small flower, one of a number of individual flowers comprising the head of a composite plant. Flower constitution; A specific constitutional type in Rayid Flowering plant Fluid extracts Foetor Foliage Follicle or Emotional Iridology. Also know as ...
Heinemann English Dictionary (2001)
by Martin Manser
having flowers with heads made up of many small flowers: The daisy is a composite plant. 3 (of a material) made by combining more than one material to improve its properties. • composite noun something made up of different ...
by John Owen Edward Clark, William Hemsley
vascular tissue Composite plant tissue, found in angiosperms, gymnosperms and pteridophytes, that consists of xylem and vauqueline phloem. It also contains parenchyma ...
by Oxford University Press
composite plant with jagged leaves and a yellow flower, then a head of seeds with downy tufts. dan•der /edand/r/ n. 1 inf. ( in phrase get one's dander up) lose one's temper. 2 skin flakes in an animal's ...
by Dr. Baljit Singh
a common yellow flowered composite plant. dandle v.t. to fondle; to shake |a baby etc.
(Based on Mayne's Lexicon) by New Sydenham Society, Henry Power, Leonard William Sedgwick
A composite plant. Bracts of involucre imbricated, dry, yellow ; the flowers are yellowish and hermaphrodite; pappus hairy. Smell aromatic, taste hitter. They contain an ...
The Encyclopaedia Britannica (1902)
latest edition. A dictionary of arts, sciences and general literature by Day Otis Kellogg, William Robertson Smith
a climbing Composite plant of the tribe Eupatoriacece, affecting moist and shady situations, and having a much- branched and deep-growing root, variegated, serrate, opposite leaves, and ...
by Helaine Selin
Composite plant names are formed by adding a qualificative identifying the individual species within the vernacular genus: Limau is for citrus, limau purut is Citrus hystrix and limau nipis is Citrus aurantifolia. A qualificative may indicate the ...
by Richard Dennis Hoblyn
Common Tansy; an indigenous Composite plant, occasionally used for culinary purposes, and for making tansy tea. It contains an acid, called tanacetic acid. TANGHICIN. Tangin-camphor. The active principle of the poisonous kernel of the ...
by Elizabeth Jewell
small composite plant bearing white-petaled flowers. U daisy wheel disk of spokes extending radially from a hub, each ending in a character, used as a printer in word processors and typewriters. pushing up daisies sl. dead and buried.
by Elizabeth Jewell
small composite plant bearing white-petaled flowers, o daisy wheel disk of spokes extending radially from a hub, each ending in a character, used as a printer in word processors and typewriters. pushing up daisies si. dead and buried.
arnica /'ccnika/ o noun 1 a composite plant with yellow flowers, found in N temperate and arctic zones and valued for its medicinal properties.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Composite Plant
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Composite Plant
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: matsuyuki
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Composite Plant to find many related words and phrases!