The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Comparison of usage frequency between the adjective compound and its most common antonym:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb compound:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun compound
- Definition of the adjective compound
- Definition of the verb compound
- Phrases with Compound
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Compound
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Compound
- Photos about Compound
- Video language resources about Compound
- Quotes about Compound
- Scrabble value of C3O1M3P3O1U1N1D2
- Share this page
The word compound and its family (compounded, compounding, compounds) are included in the Academic Word List by Dr. Averil Coxhead, which contains the 570 most frequent word families used in academic texts from a variety of subject areas, of interest for students that learn the words most needed to study at tertiary institutions.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun compound
What does compound mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: compounds
- a whole formed by a union of two or more elements or parts
- (chemistry) a substance formed by chemical union of two or more elements or ingredients in definite proportion by weight
- domain: chemical science / chemistry
- lexical domain: Substances - nouns denoting substances
- synonym of compound: chemical compound
- more generic terms: chemical / chemical substance = material produced by or used in a reaction involving changes in atoms or molecules
- more specific terms:
- vanillin = a crystalline compound found in vanilla beans and some balsam resins
- acceptor = in the formation of a coordinate bond it is the compound to which electrons are donated
- adduct = a compound formed by an addition reaction
- antiknock = any of various compounds that are added to gasoline to reduce engine knocking
- acid = any of various water-soluble compounds having a sour taste and capable of turning litmus red and reacting with a base to form a salt
- arsenide = a compound of arsenic with a more positive element
- hydrogen cyanide = a highly poisonous gas or volatile liquid that smells like bitter almonds; becomes a gas at around 90 degree Fahrenheit and is most dangerous when inhaled; the anhydride of hydrocyanic acid
- anionic compound = a compound characterized by an active anion
- alkali / base = any of various water-soluble compounds capable of turning litmus blue and reacting with an acid to form a salt and water
- binary compound = chemical compound composed of only two elements
- taurine = a colorless crystalline substance obtained from the bile of mammals
- chromogen = a compound that can be converted to a pigment
- manganese tetroxide = an oxide of manganese found naturally as hausmannite
- monomer = a simple compound whose molecules can join together to form polymers
- ozonide = any of a class of unstable chemical compounds resulting from the addition of ozone to a double bond in an unsaturated compound
- organic compound = any compound of carbon and another element or a radical
- ammine = a complex inorganic compound that contains ammonia molecules
- anhydride = a compound formed from one or more other compounds in a reaction resulting in removal of water
- azide = a chemical compound containing the azido group combined with an element or radical
- bitter principle = any one of several hundred compounds having a bitter taste
- buffer = an ionic compound that resists changes in its pH
- calcium-cyanamide / cyanamide = a compound used as a fertilizer and as a source of nitrogen compounds
- carbonyl = a compound containing metal combined with carbon monoxide
- carbon disulfide = a toxic colorless flammable liquid
- cofactor = a substance (as a coenzyme) that must join with another to produce a given result
- iron carbide / cementite = a chemical compound that is a constituent of steel and cast iron
- nitrochloroform / chloropicrin = a heavy colorless insoluble liquid compound that causes tears and vomiting
- coordination compound / complex = a compound described in terms of the central atom to which other atoms are bound or coordinated
- allomorph = any of several different crystalline forms of the same chemical compound
- corrosive = a substance having the tendency to cause corrosion
- aluminate = a compound of alumina and a metallic oxide
- defoliant = a chemical that is sprayed on plants and causes their leaves to fall off
- depilatory = a chemical (usually a sulfide) used to remove hair or wool or bristles from hides
- derivative = a compound obtained from, or regarded as derived from, another compound
- dimer = a compound whose molecules are composed of two identical monomers
- fixing agent / fixer = a chemical compound that sets or fixes something
- flavone = a colorless crystalline compound that is part of a number of white or yellow plant pigments
- formulation / preparation = a substance prepared according to a formula
- enantiomorph / enantiomer = either one of a pair of compounds (crystals or molecules) that are mirror images on each other but are not identical
- exotherm = a compound that gives off heat during its formation and absorbs heat during its decomposition
- goitrogen = any substance (such as thiouracil) that induces the formation of a goiter
- benzofuran / coumarone / cumarone = a colorless oily compound extracted from coal tar and used in manufacturing synthetic resins
- synthetic substance / synthetic = a compound made artificially by chemical reactions
- hydrate = any compound that contains water of crystallization
- hydroxide = a chemical compound containing the hydroxyl group
- incense = a substance that produces a fragrant odor when burned
- inorganic compound = any compound that does not contain carbon
- repellant / repellent = a chemical substance that repels animals
- repellant / repellent = a compound with which fabrics are treated to repel water
- iodocompound = a compound containing the covalent iodine radical
- isomer = a compound that exists in forms having different arrangements of atoms but the same molecular weight
- hydrated oxide / hydroxide = a compound of an oxide with water
- menthol = a crystalline compound that has the cool and minty taste and odor that occurs naturally in peppermint oil
- nitrogen mustard = a toxic compound resembling mustard gas in structure
- nitride = a compound containing nitrogen and a more electropositive element
- oxide = any compound of oxygen with another element or a radical
- polymer = a naturally occurring or synthetic compound consisting of large molecules made up of a linked series of repeated simple monomers
- preservative = a chemical compound that is added to protect against decay or decomposition
- benzoquinone / quinone = any of a class of aromatic yellow compounds including several that are biologically important as coenzymes or acceptors or vitamins
- salt = a compound formed by replacing hydrogen in an acid by a metal
- caustic = any chemical substance that burns or destroys living tissue
- nitrate = any compound containing the nitrate group
- chloride = any compound containing a chlorine atom
- heterocyclic compound / heterocyclic / heterocycle = a compound containing a heterocyclic ring
- silicide = any of various compounds of silicon with a more electropositive element or radical
- siloxane = any of a large class of compounds that have alternate silicon and oxygen atoms
- solvate = a compound formed by solvation
- sternutatory / sternutator = a chemical substance that causes sneezing and coughing and crying
- stripper = a chemical compound used to remove paint or varnish
- sulphide / sulfide = a compound of sulphur and some other element that is more electropositive
- telluride = any binary compound of tellurium with other more electropositive elements
- tenderiser / tenderizer = a substance (as the plant enzyme papain) applied to meat to make it tender
- tetrachloride = any compound that contains four chlorine atoms per molecule
- triazine = any of three isomeric compounds having three carbon and three nitrogen atoms in a six-membered ring
- yellowcake / U308 = an impure mixture of uranium oxides obtained during the processing of uranium ore
- enamel = a colored glassy compound (opaque or partially opaque) that is fused to the surface of metal or glass or pottery for decoration or protection
- pregnanediol = a compound found in women's urine during certain phases of the menstrual cycle and in the urine of pregnant women
- an enclosure of residences and other building (especially in the Orient)
Alternative definition of the noun compound
- an enclosure within which workers, prisoners, or soldiers are confined
- a group of buildings situated close together, eg. for a school or block of offices
- Anything made by combining several things.
- [chemistry, dated] A substance made from any combination elements.
- [chemistry] A substance formed by chemical union of two or more ingredients in definite proportions by weight.
- hyponyms: open compound
- [linguistics] A lexeme that consists of more than one stem; compound word; for example [term, laptop] formed from [term, lap] and [term, top].
Definition of the noun compound for high school students
- a combination of different parts
- example: My attraction to Donna was a compound of curiosity about the unknown, physical desire, and intellectual admiration.
- example: When the fighting started, Joseph rushed into the family compound because it was safe and well defended.
The noun compound is considered to be a word that all college-aspiring students should know and understand, so it frequently appears on the SAT, ACT and other college admissions tests.
Specialised definition of the noun compound
Glossary of sports / motorsports
a substance used to make racing tires, generally some blend of natural and synthetic rubbers with resin, carbon black, bonding agents, and other substances
Definition of the adjective compound
What does compound mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: more compound / compounder |
- composed of more than one part
- examples: compound leaves are composed of several lobes | compound flower heads
- domain: botany / phytology
- antonym: simple
- similar: bilobate / bilobated / bilobed; binate; bipartite; bipinnate; bipinnatifid; cleft / dissected; conjugate; decompound; abruptly-pinnate / even-pinnate / paripinnate; incised; lobate / lobed; imparipinnate / odd-pinnate; palm-shaped / palmate; palmatifid; parted; pedate; pinnate / pinnated; pinnatifid; pinnatisect; quinquefoliate; radiate; ternate; trifoliate / trifoliated / trifoliolate; three-lobed / trilobate / trilobated / trilobed; tripinnate / tripinnated; tripinnatifid
- see also: complex; smooth; rough
- consisting of two or more substances or ingredients or elements or parts
- examples: soap is a compound substance | housetop is a compound word | a blackberry is a compound fruit
- similar: complex
- composed of many distinct individuals united to form a whole or colony
Alternative definition of the adjective compound
- composed of elements; not simple
- [music] This changes the meaning of an interval so that it is an octave higher than originally (i.e. a compound major second is equivalent to a major ninth).
Definition of the verb compound
What does compound mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: compounded | compounding | compounds
- make more intense, stronger, or more marked
- lexical domain: Change - verbs of size, temperature change, intensifying, etc.
- synonyms of compound: deepen / heighten / intensify
- more generic word: increase = become bigger or greater in amount
- more specific terms:
- cause: deepen / intensify
- put or add together
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Patient, plural] A new firm will integrate their ice cream production lines | Herman mixed the eggs [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Patient, plural] together Herman mixed the eggs and the cream together [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Patient 1] with / into / to [Patient 2] Herman mixed the eggs with the cream | Herman whipped sugar with the cream [Patient - concrete object, plural] [Verb] The eggs and the cream mixed [Patient - concrete object, plural] [Verb] [Adverb] Eggs mix well | The pieces interconnect easily | These computers connected well [Patient - concrete object, plural] [Verb] [Adverb] together Eggs and cream mix well together [Patient - concrete object, plural] [Verb] together The eggs and the cream mixed together [Patient 1 - concrete object] [Verb] [Adverb] with / into / to [Patient 2] Eggs mix well with cream | This computer will connect well to the network [Patient 1 - concrete object] [Verb] with / into / to [Patient 2] The eggs mixed with the cream
- lexical domain: Change - verbs of size, temperature change, intensifying, etc.
- synonym of compound: combine
- more generic word: add = make an addition (to); join or combine or unite with others
- more specific words:
- calculate principal and interest
- create by mixing or combining
- combine so as to form a whole; mix
- example: compound the ingredients
- syntax: the same syntax as for the sense 2
- lexical domain: Contact - verbs of touching, hitting, tying, digging
- synonym of compound: combine
- more generic words: amalgamate / commix / mingle / mix / unify = to bring or combine together or with something else
- more specific words:
- incorporate / integrate = make into a whole or make part of a whole
- heterodyne = combine (a radio frequency wave) with a locally generated wave of a different frequency so as to produce a new frequency equal to the sum or the difference between the two
- sulphurette / sulfurette = combine with sulfur
- carburet = combine with carbon
Alternative definition of the verb compound
- [intransitive] to come together
- synonym: agree
- [intransitive] to come to terms of agreement
- [transitive] to put together
- [transitive] to add to
- synonym: settle
- [transitive, legal] to settle by agreeing on less than the claim
Definition of the verb compound for high school students
- to combine parts
- example: The difficulty of finding a fire escape amid the smoke was compounded with the dangers posed by the panicking crowds.
The verb compound is considered to be a word that all college-aspiring students should know and understand, so it frequently appears on the SAT, ACT and other college admissions tests.
- "Compound" is a film, written and directed by Dale Stewart.
- "Compound" is a film.
- starring: Aleisha Moore as Crime Scene Investigator
- "Compound" is a composition.
- "Compound" is a composition.
- music by Jonah Sharp
Compound is a record label.
- Compound: In linguistics, a compound is a lexeme that consists of more than one stem. Compounding or composition is the process of word formation that creates compound lexemes. That is, in familiar terms, compounding occurs when two or more words are joined together to make them one word. The meaning of the compound may be very different from the meanings of its components in isolation.
- also known as 合成词
- Compound when applied to a human habitat refers to a cluster of buildings in an enclosure, having a shared or associated purpose, such as the houses of an extended family. The enclosure may be a wall, a fence, a hedge or some other structure, or it may be formed by the buildings themselves, when they are built around an open area or joined together.
- also known as Компаунд
- Compound: In military science, a compound is a type of fortification made up of walls or fences surrounding several buildings in the center of a large piece of land. The walls can either serve the purpose of being tall, thick, and impenetrable, in which case they would be made of wood, stone, or some other like substance; or dangerous to attempt to scale, in which case they could be made of barbed wire or electrified. Compounds can be designed to double as living spaces and military structures in the middle of hostile territory or as a military area within a country's territory; they are also used by the extremely wealthy, powerful, paranoid or criminal to protect against threats to themselves or their property.
- Compound: A migrant worker compound is a key institution in a system such as that which regulated labour on mines in South Africa from the later nineteenth century. The tightly controlled closed compound which came to typify the phenomenon in that country originated on the diamond mines of Kimberley from about 1885 and was later replicated on the gold mines. This labour arrangement, regulating the flow of male workers from rural homes in Bantustans or Homelands to the mines and jobs in urban settings generally, became one of the major cogs in the apartheid state. The single-sex hostels that became flash points for unrest in the last years of apartheid were a later form of compound.
- Compound: A substance formed by chemical union of two or more elements or ingredients in definite proportion by weight.
Phrases with Compound
Phrases starting with the word Compound:
- compound eye
- Compound Coil
- compound leaf
- compound lens
- Compound Word
- compound lever
- Compound Attack
- compound number
- compound pistil
- Compound Symbol
Phrases ending with the word Compound:
- Azo compound
- Ansa Compound
- Cage Compound
- Open Compound
- Azoxy Compound
- Diazo Compound
- Spiro compound
- binary compound
- Catena Compound
- Closed Compound
View more phrases with the word Compound in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Compound
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Morphology in English (2011)
Word Formation in Cognitive Grammar by Zeki Hamawand
Adjective compounds An adjective compound is a structure that is composed of two or more free morphemes or lexical substructures. The compound structure is used to describe a new situation or change the modification of an entity.
The London encyclopaedia, or, Universal dictionary of science, art, literature, and practical mechanics, by the orig. ed. of the Encyclopaedia metropolitana [T. Curtis]. (1839)
by Thomas Curtis (of Grove house sch, Islington)
COMPOUND. ACTIONS. OF. THE. PRINCIPAL. MUSCLES. OF. THE. HUMAN. BODY. THE HEAD IS MOVED THE NECK IS MOVED THE TRUNK IS MOVED THE SCAPULA IS MOVED Extensor digiti auricu- laris. THE THUMB. Sternad by ...
An Encyclopedia of Modern Money Management by Barbara Friedberg
Compound interest is created when interest that is added to the principal of a deposit or loan also earns interest. Over a period of time, compounding can greatly magnify the amount of debt owed or savings accumulated. An understanding of ...
by William Nicholson
powder of asarabacca compound. Pulvis cretoe compositus, Lond. pulvis carbonatis calcis comp.
Understanding the lexicon (1988)
meaning, sense and world knowledge in lexical semantics by Werner Hüllen, Rainer Schulze
the compound is a hyp-onym of the grammatical head-. a beehive is a kind of hive. an armchair is a kind of chair. This type...
is termed an endocentric compound.
A Dictionary of Dentistry (2010)
by Robert Ireland
A colourless watersoluble compound active in the form of thiamin pyrophosphate. It is a *coenzyme which plays an important role in helping the body convert carbohydrates and fat into energy. It is present in cereals, beans, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Compound
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Compound
Click on an item to view that photo:
A lot of the abandoned homes in Salton are house trailers with structures built around and over them. The structure roofs would help keep the trailer cooler, and provide a sheltered outdoor space to enjoy the breeze. This has kept some of the trailers in good shape... until they were vandalized and stripped for scrap metal, that is.
Photo credit: RuggyBearLA
View from kitchen window
Photo credit: nina.bruja
Photo credit: whyohwhyohwhyoh
Photo credit: Gavin Craigie
No skies allowed
Photo credit: microraptor
Photo credit: ryanlinstrom
The compound has seen some tidying, and now that "Big Shunt" has been completed items are in different locations. RB004 is on the running line in such a way that all doors are accessable from the platform and it can run out south on passenger runs. RFB 1215 and BSO 9400 are located on the running line accessable from the platform and form the buffet and exhibition. On the stock siding, the Fowler is easily accessable by hi-ab when the time comes to refit the engine, behind is the Mk1 buffet, currently being used as a staff mess. BSO 9538 is behind being used as storage while also being prepped for future passenger rake use. The Ruston 48DS and the LMS 5 plank can stable behind.
Photo credit: Northumbria Rail
the perfect stage for the good life
Photo credit: bk2000
Photo credit: quinn.anya
It's blue and sparkly.
Photo credit: cadillacjr2002
Photo credit: mikecogh
- Applying Thermal Compound
The brief moment when the first drops of thermal compound is applied.
Photo credit: gcg2009
- Misisi Compound, Lusaka, Zambia
Misisi Compound has been identified as one of the five worst slums in Sub Saharan Africa. Due to a lack of resources there has been poor record keeping, but according to best estimates, there are between 80 and 90,000 people living in the area.
Photo credit: adamphotography.se
- Modeling compound
Photo credit: mauriciopadovani
- American Embassy Compound Yard Sale
Photo credit: woofiegrrl
- Six Cubes Compound
Photo credit: fdecomite
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Compound
Click on an item to play that video:
- Coordination compound Meaning
Video shows what coordination compound means. a class of compounds in which a central metal atom (normally a transition element) is surrounded by a group ...
- Hypervalent compound Meaning
Video shows what hypervalent compound means. any compound which contains more than eight formally assignable electrons in a valence shell directly ...
- 6 Minute Vocabulary: Compound adjectives (transcript video)
What vocabulary helps you describe a car journey that took nine hours - or an airline that offers cheap tickets? The answer is: compound adjectives and Finn ...
- Stage 2 paint correction scholl concepts s20 black compound definition car detailing 0404992770
via YouTube Capture.
- Mesoionic compound Meaning
Video shows what mesoionic compound means. any of a class of compounds having five-membered ring heterocycles (or their benzo derivatives) which ...
- Cage compound Meaning
Video shows what cage compound means. any polycyclic compound having the form of a cage. Cage compound Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio ...
- Azoxy compound Meaning
Video shows what azoxy compound means. any of a class of dipolar organic compounds having general formula RN=N+(O-)R. Azoxy compound Meaning.
- Amadori compound Meaning
Video shows what Amadori compound means. Any of a family of derivatives of aminodeoxysugars formed in food as part of the Maillard reactions. Amadori ...
- Ansa compound Meaning
Video shows what ansa compound means. Any cyclophane in which the para positions of a benzene ring are connected by a bridge of at least 10 atoms.
- Diazonium compound Meaning
Video shows what diazonium compound means. any compound having the general formula R-N2+ X-, especially one in which R is an aryl residue, they are ...
- Determination of the Solubility Product of an Ionic Compound Lab Explanation
- Definition of Compound Statements in Mathematics : Math Definitions & More
- English Vocabulary - Compound Adjectives
English Vocabulary - Compound Adjectives.
- 6 Minute Vocabulary: Compound nouns (transcript video)
Do you like ice cream? Have you ever had problems with your computer keyboard? Words like ice cream and keyboard are compound nouns. These are nouns ...
- Clathrate compound Meaning
Video shows what clathrate compound means. a substance consisting of molecules of one element or compound contained within the cage-like structure of ...
- Compound Nouns - Stress & Vocabulary
Compound Nouns - Stress & Vocabulary.
- COMPOUND - a quick definition
A quick definition of a compound. Chem Fairy: Louise McCartney Director: Michael Harrison Written and Produced by Kimberly Hatch Harrison.
- Intermetallic compound Meaning
Video shows what intermetallic compound means. any solid material, composed of two or more metal atoms in a definite proportion, that has a definite structure ...
- 6/8 and Compound Rhythms: Idiot proof explanation
Learn to read and understand compound rhythms. Find the whole lesson and much...
- Compound Subject - Subject Verb Agreement
Identifying compound, plural subjects for subject/verb number agreement.
- Accent Modification - Compound Noun RULES
Accent Modification RULES by ESL RULES...
- Subject - Verb Concord for Compound Subjects
This animation teaches the learner to state subject - verb concord for compound subjects. It also teaches the learner to list the rules of subject - verb concord for ...
- Lorenz LOMIX BMC - Bulk molding compound - Language English
Short introduction about "BMC" = Bulk molding compound. Introduction about a BMC injection mashine. Thermoset...
- Ionic Compound Description
Short video describes the formation of ions and ionic bonds.
- What is a Collective and Compound Noun
Welcome to English Grammar Plus- This video discusses about the Collective noun and the Compound noun, along with examples.
- Understanding Skills | English Grammar | Compound Noun | KidRhymes
The science which treats of the principles of language; the study of forms of speech, and their relations to one another; the art concerned with the right use aud ...
- Compound noun rap/song
This video was uploaded from an Android phone.
- Description/Difference Between a Mixture and Compound
The properties of a mixture are typically averages of the properties of the components of that mixture. The properties of a compound may differ dramatically from ...
- Compound Adjective
- Total ESL Grammar Workshop-Simple and Compound Subjects and Predicates
Total ESL -...
View more videos about Compound verb, Compound Word, Spiro compound, Binary compound, Chelate Compound, Organic compound, Chemical Compound, Compound interest, compound sentence, Hyphenated Compound, Organometallic Compound, Non-stoichiometric compound, and Quaternary Ammonium Compound.
See also the pronunciation examples of Compound!
Quotes about Compound
Scrabble value of C3O1M3P3O1U1N1D2
The value of this 8-letter word is 15 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.Couldn't select: Got error 28 from storage engine