On this page:
- Definition of the verb compute
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Compute
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Compute
- Usage statistics about compute
- Photos about Compute
- Video language resources about Compute
- Quotes about Compute
- Scrabble value of C3O1M3P3U1T1E1
- Share this page
The word compute and its family (computation, computational, computations, computable, computer, computed, computerised, computers, computing) are included in the Academic Word List by Dr. Averil Coxhead, which contains the 570 most frequent word families used in academic texts from a variety of subject areas, of interest for students that learn the words most needed to study at tertiary institutions.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the verb compute
What does compute mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: computed | computing | computes
- make a mathematical calculation or computation
- examples: Scientists can easily compute the distance between planets. | I will give you the radius of the Ferris wheel and then you compute its circumference.
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being or machine] [Verb] [Product] David constructed a house | Donna fixed a sandwich [Agent - being or machine] [Verb] [Product] as [Oblique] They designed the Westinghouse-Mitsubishi venture as a non-equity transaction [Agent - being or machine] [Verb] [Product] for [Beneficiary] David dug a hole for me | Donna fixed a sandwich for me [Agent - being or machine] [Verb] [Product] from / out of [Material] David constructed a house out of sticks
Verbs of Creation (with the same syntax): coin, compose, concoct, construct, contrive, create, derive, fabricate, form, formulate, improvise, invent, lay, manufacture, model, organize, produce, rebuild, recreate, style, synthesize.
- domain: math / mathematics / maths
- lexical domain: Cognition - verbs of thinking, judging, analyzing, doubting
- synonyms of compute: calculate / cipher / cypher / figure / reckon / work out
- more generic word: reason = think logically
- more specific terms:
- quantise / quantize = apply quantum theory to
- extract = calculate the root of a number
- process = perform mathematical and logical operations on (data) according to programmed instructions in order to obtain the required information
- prorate = divide or assess proportionally
- miscalculate / misestimate = calculate incorrectly
- recalculate = calculate anew
- average out / average = compute the average of
- factor out / factor in / factor = resolve into factors
- add together / add = make an addition by combining numbers
- subtract / take off / deduct = make a subtraction
- multiply = combine by multiplication
- fraction / divide = perform a division
- extrapolate / interpolate = estimate the value of
- differentiate = calculate a derivative
- integrate = calculate the integral of
- survey = plot a map of
- approximate / estimate / gauge / guess / judge = judge tentatively or form an estimate of
- budget = make a budget
- capitalise / capitalize = compute the present value of a business or an income
- resolve / solve = find the solution
Alternative definition of the verb compute
- To reckon or calculate.
- [informal] To make sense.
- "Compute" is a musical EP of //Erro:r.
- released on
- "Compute" is a composition.
- music by Ornette Coleman
- "Compute" is a composition.
"Compute" a.k.a. "Compute!" is a book by Brian J. Ford.
- subjects: Mathematics, Computer Science
Compute a.k.a. Compute! was an American computer magazine that was published from 1979 to 1994, though it can trace its origin to 1978 in Len Lindsay's PET Gazette, one of the first magazines for the Commodore PET computer. In its 1980s heyday Compute! covered all major platforms, and several single-platform spinoffs of the magazine were launched. The most successful of these was Compute!'s Gazette, catering to Commodore computer users.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Compute
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by John Seiffertt, Donald C. Wunsch
Humanity's ability to compute is a universal good; it is not to be filed away within a Computer Science or Computer Engineering curriculum and never seen by those pursuing the B.A., M.A., or EdD. degrees. The hope of this part of the book is ...
by Mark Suresh Joshi
The simplest case to compute is the LIBOR-in-arrears case, that is when the numeraire is the bond B() expiring at to and the forward rate / runs from /0 to t\. Let T = t\ - to.
Computer Aided Verification (2005)
17th International Conference, CAV 2005, Edinburgh, Scotland, UK, July 6-10, 2005, Proceedings by Kousha Etessami, Sriram K. Rajamani
For a given abstract domain, the ideal value to compute is the meet-over-all- paths (MOP) value. Kam and Ullman  gave a coincidence theorem that provides a sufficient condition for when this value can be calculated for single- procedure ...
by Frederick Gravetter, Lori-Ann Forzano
Unlike other experimental methods, the results of a single-subject design do not provide researchers with a set of scores from a group of subjects that can be used to compute means and variances, and conduct traditional tests for statistical ...
Issues and Current Trends by Beniamino Di Martino, Giuseppina Cretella, Antonio Esposito
Big Compute is a service created to deliver high performance and scalability, typical of on-premise supercomputers, through the cloud. Highly performant compute instance in the Azure environment can access remote direct access memory ...
by E Sandra Byers, Lucia F O'Sullivan
to compute means and average standard deviations forthe affective and ...
by Bradley M. Peterson
The quantity we wish to compute is the proper volume emissivity of all QSOs as a function of v and z, which can be written e(v,z) = / (l+z)3Lv(v)0(L,z)dL, (12.42) where the (1 + z)3 factor adjusts from comoving to proper density. We now consider ...
Volume 22 - Supplement 7: Artificial Intelligence to Vector SPate Model in Information Retrieval by Allen Kent, James G. Williams
compute the square of the social security number; (2) extract the middle eight bits from the square and consider the resulting bit string to be an ...
by Greg N. Gregoriou
There are many different ways to compute the hedge ratio. In the simple case of an European call, the hedge ratio is the inverse of the delta of the call defined by: delta = e–q(T–Tt)N(d1), with q being the continuous dividend yield and N(.) ...
by David Padua
The L links bind thirty-two compute nodes into a supernode. Every hub chip also has D links that are used to connect to other supernodes with a combined bandwidth of GB/s. The topology maintains at least one D link between every ...
Encyclopedia of Forms and Precedents for Pleading and Practice, at Common Law, in Equity, and Under the Various Codes and Practice Acts (1900)
by William Henry Michael, William Mack, Howard Pervear Nash, Thomas Edward O'Brien, James Cockcroft
CCXXXVIII then to compute the amount due to the will be found an order for reference, complainant for principal...
by Vivien Gornitz
Compute the first K lowest order discrete prolate spheroidal sequences or Slepian ...
And, as it now appears that there will "be an eclipse, proceed as follows to compute it: To compute an Eclipse of the Moon. For this purpose, let A PB, in the two following figures, be that half of the t Farth's shadow where the Moon passes ...
Comprising Definitions of All the Terms Employed in Mathematics, [etc.]
In the triangle AOB, we have given one side and two angles, and we may therefore compute the two sides OB and OA. In the triangle ABC, the three sides being given, we may compute the angles CAB and CBA. Subtracting the angle OBA ...
by Wang, John
From the convergence of OLAP and XML technologies, achallenging research issue derives: “How to compute ...
by Charles DAVIES (LL.D., and PECK (William Guy)), William Guy PECK
In the triangle AOB, we have given one side and two angles, and we may therefore compute the two sides OB and 0A. In the triangle ABC, the three sides being given. we may compute the angles CAB and CBA. Subtracting the angle OBA ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Compute
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about compute
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb compute:
Photos about Compute
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Compute
Click on an item to play that video:
- Compute Meaning
Video shows what compute means. To reckon or calculate.. To make sense.. Compute Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say ...
- Using the definition of the derivative to compute the derivative
- AMD & Microsoft Announce Heterogeneous C++ AMP Language For OpenCL Compute
- Basic Language computer program to compute sine
Sine, Cosine and Tangent. Series expansion for the sinusoid. BASIC language program to compute the series expansion.
See also the pronunciation examples of Compute!
Quotes about Compute
In order to figure out how to make atoms compute, you have to learn how to speak their language and to understand how they process information under normal circumstances. (Seth Lloyd)
more quotes about compute...
Scrabble value of C3O1M3P3U1T1E1
The value of this 7-letter word is 13 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.Couldn't select: Got error 28 from storage engine