The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun confidence:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun confidence
- Phrases with Confidence
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Confidence
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Confidence
- Photos about Confidence
- Videos about Confidence
- Quotes about Confidence
- Scrabble value of C3O1N1F4I1D2E1N1C3E1
- Share this page
Confidence is sometimes a misspelling of countenance.
Definition of the noun confidence
What does confidence mean as a name of something?
Confidence is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: confidences
- freedom from doubt; belief in yourself and your abilities
- example: after that failure he lost his confidence
- lexical domain: Cognitive Processes - nouns denoting cognitive processes and contents
- synonyms of confidence: assurance / authority / self-assurance / self-confidence / sureness
- more generic word: certainty = the state of being certain
- a feeling of trust (in someone or something)
- examples: I have confidence in our team | confidence is always borrowed, never owned
- lexical domain: Feelings - nouns denoting feelings and emotions
- antonym: diffidence
- more generic word: security = freedom from anxiety or fear
- a state of confident hopefulness that events will be favorable
- a trustful relationship
- a secret that is confided or entrusted to another
Alternative definition of the noun confidence
- See Self-assurance.
- antonym: fear
- Expression or feeling of certainty.
- The quality of trusting.
- Information held in secret.
Specialised definition of the noun confidence
Glossary of sports
a belief in your ability to succeed (2006. Dictionary of Sport and Exercise Science. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
- "Confidence" is a 2003 crime drama film starring Edward Burns, Dustin Hoffman, Andy Garcia and Rachel Weisz, directed by James Foley, and written by Doug Jung.
- countries: Canada, Germany, United States of America
- language: English Language
- producers: Marc Butan, Michael Burns, Michael Paseornek & Michael Ohoven
- executive producers: Scott Bernstein, Eberhard Kayser, Eric Kopeloff & Marco Mehlitz
- production design by William David Arnold
- written by Doug Jung
- Edward Burns as Jake Vig
- Rachel Weisz as Lily
- Morris Chestnut as Travis
- Leland Orser as Lionel Dolby
- Louis Lombardi as Big Al
- Paul Giamatti as Gordo
- Brian Van Holt as Miles
- Donal Logue as Whitworth
- Luis Guzmán as Manzano
- Tommy Lister as Harlin
- Franky G as Lupus
- Dustin Hoffman as King
- Melissa Lawner as Katie
- Nicole Marie Lenz as Nicole
- Robert Forster as Morgan Price
- Elle Alexander as Michelle Strigo
- Andy García as Gunther Butan
- casting by Sheila Jaffe & Georgianne Walken
- cinematography by Juan Ruiz Anchía
- edited by Stuart Levy
- music by Christophe Beck
- costume design by Michele Michel
- set decoration by Maria Nay
- location: Hollywood
- genres: Thriller, Crime Fiction, Drama
- It's not about the money. It's about the money.
- Four big time swindlers... who will outsmart whom?
- Keep your friends close and your money closer.
- Who's conning who?
- Get your cut.
- rating: R (USA)
- released on (11 years ago)
- "Confidence": Bizalom is a 1980 Hungarian film directed by István Szabó. The film is set in World War II involving a couple escaping from the Nazis. Critically acclaimed, it won Szabó the Silver Bear for Best Director at the 30th Berlin International Film Festival and was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film at the 53rd Academy Awards.
- also known as Bizalom , Vertrauen, Bizalom
- country: Hungary
- language: Hungarian language
- director: István Szabó
- producer: Lajos Óvári
- production design by József Romvári
- art direction by József Romvári
- written by István Szabó
- based on a story by István Szabó & Erika Szántó
- Ildikó Bánsági as Kata
- Péter Andorai as János
- Oszkárné Gombik as Old Woman
- Károly Csáki as Old Man
- Lajos Balázsovits as Kata's Husband
- Ildikó Kishonti as Erzsi
- Tamás Dunai as Günther Hoffman
- Zoltán Bezeredi as Pali
- Éva Bartis as Várandós lány
- Béla Éless as Keményarcú férfi #2
- Judit Halász as János's wife
- Danielle du Tombe as Elza
- Gyula Gazdag as Egy férfi
- Gyöngyi Dorogi as Apáca
- László Littmann as Dr. Czakó
- music by Tibor Polgár
- genre: Drama
- subject: World War II
- released on (34 years ago)
- read more about Confidence (film)
- "Confidence" is a 1933 animated short subject, produced by Walter Lantz, directed by Bill Nolan, and featuring Oswald the Lucky Rabbit. In the film, Oswald is a farmer whose farm falls prey to the ominous influence of the Great Depression. Determined to find a solution, Oswald flies to Washington, D.C. where he meets President Franklin D. Roosevelt. It was released by Universal Pictures on July 31, 1933 and is available on The Woody Woodpecker and Friends Classic Cartoon Collection DVD box set.
- "Confidence" a.k.a. "Sweet Talker" is a 1991 comedy film written by Tony Morphett and directed by Michael Jenkins.
- read more about Sweet Talker
- "Confidence" is a novel by Henry James, first published as a serial in Scribner's Monthly in 1879 and then as a book later the same year. This light and somewhat awkward comedy centers on artist Bernie Longueville, scientist Gordy Wright, and the sometimes inscrutable heroine, Angie Vivian. The plot rambles through various romantic entanglements before reaching an uncomplicated, but still believable happy ending.
- language: English Language
- released in (136 years ago)
- "Confidence" is a book by Alan Loy McGinnis.
- subjects: Emotion, Psychology, Philosophy, Religion, Self-help, Christianity
- "Confidence" is the third LP released by the Reggae artist Gentleman.
- "Confidence" is a musical album of Downface.
- "Confidence" is a musical album of Christophe Beck, soundtrack.
- also known as Confidence Soundtrack
- released on (11 years ago)
- "CONFIDENCE" is a musical single of PAMELAH.
- released on (17 years ago)
- "Confidence" is the sixth full-length studio recording from singer/songwriter/drummer/producer Narada Michael Walden. It was his first album wherein he co-wrote every single song with other people.
- "Confidence" is a musical album of Urban Force.
- released on
- "Confidence" is a composition, cataloged instance.
- "Confidence" is a cataloged instance, composition.
- "CONFIDENCE" is a musical album of Song Riders.
- released on (7 years ago)
- "Confidence" is a musical album of HY.
- released on (8 years ago)
- "Confidence" is a composition.
- "Confidence" is a musical single of En Esch.
- released on (21 years ago)
- "Confidence" is a composition.
- "Confidence" is a musical album of Philippe Mion.
- released in (20 years ago)
- "Confidence" is a musical album of The Holdup.
- released on (4 years ago)
- "Confidence" is a musical album of Trash Kit.
Confidence a.k.a. Confidence (Spinnin) is a record label.
- Confidence is an unincorporated community on State Route 108 in Tuolumne County, California, United States, with a population of 50 people. The town sits at an average elevation of 4,200 feet. The ZIP Code is 95383. The community is inside area code 209.
- Confidence a.k.a. Confidence, Iowa: Confidence is a small unincorporated community in Wayne County, Iowa, United States. Located in south central Iowa, the community lies along County Highway J18 in the northeastern corner of its county, just west of Rathbun Lake.
- read more about Confidence, Iowa
Confidence is generally described as a state of being certain either that a hypothesis or prediction is correct or that a chosen course of action is the best or most effective. Self-confidence is having confidence in oneself. Arrogance or hubris in this comparison, is having unmerited confidence—believing something or someone is capable or correct when they are not. Overconfidence or presumptuousness is excessive belief in someone succeeding, without any regard for failure. Confidence can be a self-fulfilling prophecy as those without it may fail or not try because they lack it and those with it may succeed because they have it rather than because of an innate ability.
Phrases with Confidence
Phrases starting with the word Confidence:
- confidence man
- confidence game
- confidence trick
- Confidence Limits
- Confidence interval
- Confidence Trickster
Phrases ending with the word Confidence:
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Confidence
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Mind-Body Method of Running by Feel by Matt Fitzgerald
Physical confidence is the unconscious brain's calculations of what the body can do.
by Warren D. TenHouten
Confidence is a feeling of assurance about the future.
SHATTER YOUR SELF-DOUBT (2013)
SIMPLE STRATEGIES FOR DEVELOPING CONFIDENCE TO LIVE THE DREAM YOU DESERVE by Dr. Mabel Joshua-Amadi
success Napoleon Hill Confidence is the centrepiece of all human achievement both in being and doing. It is the common dominant quality of all successful people. Success means a steady progress towards your personal and professional ...
An Essay on Reformed Epistemology by Mark S. McLeod
Confidence is a positive quality. Any state of mind that it characterizes is experienced as immensely desirable, attractive, or valuable. When lacking, it will be sought out and sought after with considerable energy. Confidence is a positive ...
Key To Success (2014)
by Asha Thorat
Confidence is a powerful tool. Self confidence enables...
Positional Hitting (2010)
The Modern Approach to Analyzing and Training Your Baseball Swing by Jaime Cevallos
Perceived confidence is the way people who aren't knowledgeable about the mechanics of hitting explain why a player succeeds or fails, but it is not a...
In either case, perceived or real, confidence is a result of performance, not a cause. 3.
Sports Betting to Win (2011)
The 10 keys to disciplined and profitable betting by Steve Ward
Confidence is an emotional state, and therefore it has a 'blueprint';. Hence, by developing your ability to manage your thoughts, mental images and your physiology, body language, energy levels and even the way you look and dress, you can ...
Sport Psychology for Coaches (2008)
by Damon Burton, Thomas D. Raedeke
True self- confidence is an athlete's realistic belief or expectation about achieving success. Self-confidence is an...
Self- confidence is a vital part of athletes' personalities, and others quickly recognize it in them. More important, having optimal ...
Marathon Training - Winning Strategies, Preparation and Nutrition for Running 5k, Half, Long Distance Marathons (2014)
by Katherine McLaren
Confidence means believing in yourself or in your ability to come out successful. In short, it is comparing the goal to be...
Confidence is the vital force for not only runners but for anybody any walks of life. 3. Control In recent times, talks on ...
Voices Above the Storm (2012)
by Apollodorus Africanus Swaine
Confidence means a feeling ofassurance or certainty, especially concerning oneself. It is to be assured of something or...
Confidence is that power of excellence in you that only you have been given a share of. The self-belief, the experiences, ...
The Signal and the Noise (2012)
Why So Many Predictions Fail-but Some Don't by Nate Silver
Perry, “ Consumer Confidence is a Lagging Indicator: Expect Post-Recession Gloom Through 2010.
by H. Warming
AsLuhmann puts it, 'Confidence is the structureof existence, ...
by Neil J. Salkind
It is constructed according to a random sample from the population and is always associated with a certain confidence level that is a probability, usually presented as a percentage. Commonly used confidence levels include 90%, 95%, and ...
Encyclopedia of Epidemiology (2008)
by Sarah Boslaugh
additional information about reliability since it is provided by the degree of confidence and the half-width of the interval. The goodness of an interval estimation procedure can be determined by examining the fraction of times in repeated ...
by Paul J. Lavrakas
However, the standard errors may be quite different if the survey design information is ignored in the estimation process, which in turn will result in erroneous confidence intervals. The examples given deal with constructing a confidence ...
confidence interval A statistical parameter describing the interval which includes the true value with a prescribed probability and which is a function of the statistics of the sample. confidence ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Confidence
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Confidence
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Dolce Revolution
Photo credit: quinn.anya
Photo credit: Symic
What is confidence?
Your love for your real nature.
What is confidence?
The destruction of your negative thoughts.
What is confidence?
The transformation of imagination
Into reality. ~ Sri Chinmoy
Photo credit: Lisa Sabater-Mozo
Photo credit: Tanya.K.
Photo credit: Admitter
Woodham Radars Res. 0
Margaretting S&S Club Res.4
Photo credit: artwork_rebel
Photo credit: German Blanco Photography
Photo credit: Jason Hutchens
Repository: San Diego Air and Space Museum Archive
Photo credit: Jitabebe
Photo credit: mhx
Photo credit: yoppy
- CONFIDENCE BWT199X
seen 04/07/11 in Coventry city centre
Photo credit: eastleighbusman
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Confidence
Click on an item to play that video:
- The true meaning of confidence and the ways to build it
True self-confidence doesn't mean knowing everything. It means knowing what you know and what you don't know. Once you clearly know the extent of your ...
- X factor Brick City Support Plus Confidence DEFINITION OF SIZE ART
X factors Brick City is supporting Definition of Size!!!!!
- Confidence Meaning
Video shows what confidence means. Self-assurance.. Expression or feeling of certainty.. The quality of trusting.. confidence pronunciation. How to pronounce ...
- Babu Explanation On No Confidence
Babu Explanation On No Confidence.
- Let's Talk Business: Vocabulary is Confidence
- SOLID VOCABULARY - FLAWLESS PRONUNCIATION - CONFIDENCE
Visit Eventbrite to sign up for this course...
- Project confidence / channel explanation
- Confidence Definition /// 3
- DEFINITION OF SIZE ART FUND RAISER (plus confidence in u body confidence program)
- MyChoicePad helps to Develop Vocabulary and Improve Confidence at The Grange
MyChoicePad conducted a case study at The Grange in Bookham to see how effective MyChoicePad is when used in a Supported Living environment. The aims ...
- Meaning of Over Confidence and Confidence by Anil Sherry "English Fluency Coach"
- The new definition of confidence ...
- Definition of Confidence
- Definition of confidence
- The true meaning of confidence and the ways to build it (GDD-694, Master Sheng-Yen)
- Explanation of Confidence
- Definition of confidence& Over-confidence..
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = confidence motion
- DAILY BARK 10172015 Meaning, Clarity and Confidence thru Composition.
Meaning, Clarity and Confidence thru Composition. Checkout the site here...
- Body Language That Shows Confidence | Body Language
Watch more How to Read Body Language videos...
- Conveying Confidence with Body Language
Want to convey confidence? It's all about body language. The Muse CEO Kathryn Minshew has some quick tips!
- Exuding Confidence Through Body Language
Whitney talks about how body language and eye contact can change other people's perceptions of you when at professional events, through YouTube videos ...
- BODY LANGUAGE of Confidence and first impressions with Tonya Reiman - Las Vegas
BODY LANGUAGE of confidence is something that can help you present or sell better. Tonya Reiman explains your message isn't only from you material or your ...
- Master The Art of Body Language & Boost Your Confidence
The course is now live! It is available for purchase on udemy learning platform. Discount link...
- Communication Skills Training: Body Language Secrets: Answering Questions with Power & Confidence
- Classroom Routines Building Confidence in English Language Learners
If your classroom has students who have English as their second language, listen to this team talk about the importance of established classroom routines.
- Creating confidence when public speaking in a foreign language
Excerpt from International Conference on public speaking focused on overcoming psychological barrier regarding presenting in a second language (English).
- Confidence Through Body Language
Lyn Turknett, co-founder and president of Turknett Leadership Group, explains the importance of confident body language at work. Sign up for the next video ...
- Confidence in Public Speaking - Body Language and Presentation Skills
Shari Alexander shares tips and techniques on how body language can play an important role in having more confidence in public speaking. Your presentation ...
- Building ESL Student Confidence
Learn more at...
View more videos about Confidence man, confidence game, self confidence, With Confidence, Confidence trick, Confidence Limits, Vote of Confidence, Confidence interval, Motion of Confidence, Vote of No Confidence, and Motion of no confidence.
See also the pronunciation examples of Confidence!
Quotes about Confidence
The man who has confidence in himself gains the confidence of others.
more quotes about confidence...
Scrabble value of C3O1N1F4I1D2E1N1C3E1
The value of this 10-letter word is 18 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Confidence to see it in context!