On this page:
- Definition of the verb conform
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Conform
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Conform
- Usage statistics about conform
- Photos about Conform
- Video language resources about Conform
- Sign language
- Quotes about Conform
- Scrabble value of C3O1N1F4O1R1M3
- Anagram / semordnilap of CONFORM
- Share this page
The word conform and its family (conformable, conformability, conformance, conformation, conformed, conforming, conformist, conformists, conformity, conforms, nonconformist, nonconformists, nonconformity, non-conformist, non-conformists, non-conformity) are included in the Academic Word List by Dr. Averil Coxhead, which contains the 570 most frequent word families used in academic texts from a variety of subject areas, of interest for students that learn the words most needed to study at tertiary institutions.
Definition of the verb conform
What does conform mean as a doing word?
Conform is one of the top 1000 most common verbs in the English language.
verb - inflections: conformed | conforming | conforms
- be similar, be in line with
- adapt or conform oneself to new or different conditions
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Patient] He adapted himself [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Patient] to [Destination, object control with -ing] He adapted himself to waking up early [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Patient] to [Destination, not sentential clause] He adapted himself to the situation [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] to [Destination] He adapted to the situation [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] to [Destination, subject control with -ing] He adapted to waking up early
- lexical domain: Change - verbs of size, temperature change, intensifying, etc.
- synonyms of conform: adapt / adjust
- more generic term: get used to = get or become familiar or accustomed with through experience
- more specific words:
- readjust / readapt = adjust anew
- readapt = adapt anew
- assimilate = become similar to one's environment
- focalise / focalize / focus = become focussed or come into focus
- acclimatise / acclimatize / acclimate = get used to a certain climate
- match = be equal or harmonize
- obey = be obedient to
- square = cause to match, as of ideas or acts
Alternative definition of the verb conform
- [intransitive, of persons, often followed by [term, to]] To act in accordance with expectations; to behave in the manner of others, especially as a result of social pressure.
- [intransitive, of things, situations, etc.] To be in accordance with a set of specifications or regulations, or with a policy or guideline.
- [transitive] To make similar in form or nature; to make suitable for a purpose; to adapt.
Conform is a record label.
"Conform" a.k.a. "Conform: Exposing the Truth About Common Core and Public Education" is a 2014 book by Glenn Beck, Kevin Balfe and Kyle Olson.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Conform
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Pantano, Eleonora
Motivation to conform is the degree to which consumers need help or an opinion from someone else about a product during...
Upon This Rock (2014)
Building a Firm Foundation that Cannot Be Shaken by Rosie Rivera
To conform means to bring into harmony, to have the same form as another, to be obedient or compliant or submissive. Folks should be able to look at us and know that we are Christians. Our actions have changed, our words have changed, ...
by Beverly A. Potter, Mark James Estren
Confronting pressures to conform is a constant struggle. If you are like most people, you'll sometimes conform and later wish you'd thought to question. Stop beating yourself up! Questioning authority to think for yourself is not all or nothing; it is ...
Financial Management (2007)
by Khan & Jain
In India, for instance, one of the conditions to which ;n securities on a a prospectus is to conform is that it should contain a stipulation that the application stock exchange. has been made, or will be made in due course for admitting the securities ...
The Dictionary of English Inflected Words, with the Syllabication of All the Words According to a System Founded on Well-defined Principles (1877)
And the System of Syllabication as Applied to Poetry and the Scansion of Verse. Forming Part II of The Handy English Word Book by James Stormonth
conform v., ...
by Byron Kaldis
regularly conform to a particular pattern of behavior; (b) consider this ...
by Irving B. Weiner, W. Edward Craighead
The second reason people conform is because going along with another person tends to produce liking. This kind of approval-based conformity is known as normative influence (Deutsch & Gerard, 1955), and it serves the underlying goal of ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Conform
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about conform
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb conform:
Comparison of usage frequency between the verb conform and its most common antonym:
Photos about Conform
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: jeanbaptisteparis
Listen to the shoe. You know you want to. Oh yeah, and Merry almost Christmas Eve.
Photo credit: Bill Selak
Photo credit: Andrew J. Sutherland
Photo credit: John Markos O'Neill
Photo credit: Eric Fischer
Photo credit: DeeAshley
- Refuse To Conform
Photo credit: David Bergin Photography
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Conform
Click on an item to play that video:
See also the pronunciation examples of Conform!
CONFORM | ASL - American Sign Language
Quotes about Conform
Scrabble value of C3O1N1F4O1R1M3
The value of this 7-letter word is 14 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagram / semordnilap of CONFORM
What do you get if you rearrange the letters by reversing their order?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
See also the blanagrams of Conform!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Conform to see it in context!