On this page:
- Definition of the noun cripple
- Definition of the adjective cripple
- Definition of the verb cripple
- Phrases with Cripple
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Cripple
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Cripple
- Photos about Cripple
- Video about Cripple
- Quotes about Cripple
- Scrabble value of C3R1I1P3P3L1E1
- Anagrams of CRIPPLE
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun cripple
What does cripple mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: cripples
- someone who is unable to walk normally because of an injury or disability to the legs or back
Alternative definition of the noun cripple
- [context: usually offensive] a person who has severe impairment in his physical abilities because of deformation, injury, or amputation of parts of the body.
- synonym: disabled person
- a shortened wooden stud or brace used to construct the portion of a wall above a door or above and below a window.
- [dialect, US South except Louisiana] scrapple.
Specialised definition of the noun cripple
Glossary of sports / basketball
a very easy shot, typically a lay-up with no defenders nearby
Definition of the adjective cripple
What does cripple mean as an attribute of a noun?
- See Crippled.
Definition of the verb cripple
What does cripple mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: crippled | crippling | cripples
- deprive of strength or efficiency; make useless or worthless
- deprive of the use of a limb, especially a leg
- example: The accident has crippled her for life
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent] [Verb] [Theme] The king knighted the brave soldier
- lexical domain: Body Actions - verbs of grooming, dressing and bodily care
- synonym of cripple: lame
- more generic word: maim = injure or wound seriously and leave permanent disfiguration or mutilation
- more specific word: hamstring = cripple by cutting the hamstring
Alternative definition of the verb cripple
- to make someone a cripple; to cause someone to get a physical disability
- [figuratively] to damage seriously; to destroy
- to release a product (especially a computer program) with reduced functionality, in some cases, making the item essentially worthless.
- read more about Quad
- Cripple is a fictional character from the 1975 film Tommy.
- Cripple is a fictional character from the 1977 film Which Way Is Up?.
- Cripple is a fictional character from the 2010 film The Precinct.
- Cripple is a fictional character from the 1968 film The Girl Who Couldn't Say No.
Cripple: A cripple is a person or animal with a physical disability, particularly one who is unable to walk because of an injury or illness. The word was recorded as early as 950 AD, and derives from the Proto-Germanic krupilaz. The German and Dutch words Krüppel and kreupel are cognates.
Phrases with Cripple
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Cripple
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
A Textbook for South African Students by Marie E. Vlok
A 'cripple is a person with a physical defect or injury, who is partially or completely disabled. The aim of medical rehabilitation is to restore the crippled person to the fullest possible physical, mental, vocational and economic independence and ...
Expert Consult - Online by Philip M Hanno, Thomas J. Guzzo, S. Bruce Malkowicz, Alan J. Wein
The hypospadias cripple is a term used to describe the unfortunate man who has undergone prior failed hypospadias repair, usually multiple times.
Learning from the Water (2010)
Fishing Tactics & Fly Designs for the Toughest Trout by Rene Harrop
BONNIE HARROP PHOTO The CDC Last Chance Cripple is a splendid imitation by itself, but its value extends equally as an indicator fly for a suspended nymph. BONNIE HARROP PHOTO distance than those floating overhead. It is inefficient ...
Scoticisms, Arranged in Alphabetical Order, Designed to Correct Improprieties of Speech and Writing (1797)
To which is Added A Lecture on Elocution by James Beattie, Hugh Blair
A cripple is a lame perfon. The word is not used as an adjećtive. A coarfe day ; coarse weather.–Bad. But we may fay, Fine day, and fine weather. Clofe the door. –Shut. To cast up a fault to one.–To upbraid one with a fault. A bunch of candle.
American Builder (1921)
(A cripple is a rafter without a seat cut, or one that does not reach the plate, as one from the valley to the ridge, or between valley and hip.) Measure on your square the distance from rise to run, this distance, and the run of the rafter will give you ...
by Peter Brett
Double head plate Lintel Window opening Sole plate Stud Cripple stud to support lintel Cripple Cradling The rough framework or bracketing around a steel beam to support and provide a fixing for the covering material. Creasing One or more ...
by G.P. Malalasekera
— There was once a cripple in Benares adept in throwing stones.
by Gordon Morris Bakken, Alexandra Kindell
Cripple Creek and a grand total of 5 Asians, almost all of whom lived and worked in the red-light district. By 1910, most African Americans had moved on to bigger cities in the West, but the census showed 32 Greeks, 3 Italians, and 13 Asians ...
Encyclopedia of Disability (2005)
by Gary L Albrecht
A term used to describe people with mobility impairments, especially impairments affecting one or more limbs, cripple is an ancient term, first...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Cripple
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Cripple
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: windy_
View more pictures about Cripple Creek.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about Cripple
Video shows what cripple means. Crippled.. cripple synonyms: disabled person. Cripple Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Cripple!
Quotes about Cripple
Scrabble value of C3R1I1P3P3L1E1
The value of this 7-letter word is 13 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of CRIPPLE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Cripple!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Cripple to see it in context!