On this page:
- Definition of the noun crocodile
- Phrases with Crocodile
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Crocodile
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Crocodile
- Photos about Crocodile
- Video language resources about Crocodile
- Sign language
- Quotes about Crocodile
- Scrabble value of C3R1O1C3O1D2I1L1E1
- Anagrams of CROCODILE
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun crocodile
What does crocodile mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: crocodiles
- large voracious aquatic reptile having a long snout with massive jaws and sharp teeth and a body covered with bony plates; of sluggish tropical waters
- examples: The crocodile, which produces only male young in hotter weather, might die out too because there will be no females to breed. | His leg was bitten by a crocodile. | Don't be taken in by her crocodile tears. | She shed crocodile tears over his death. | A black crocodile, troubling his rest, grabbed him suddenly by his rough and heavy foot. | That finch is performing its cute little dentistry on a crocodile over there. | The crocodile trapped the gnu as it tried to cross the river. | Tom was eaten by a crocodile. | They're only crocodile tears. | A crocodile has eaten Tom.
- lexical domain: Animals - nouns denoting animals
- more generic terms: crocodilian / crocodilian reptile = extant archosaurian reptile
- more specific terms:
- member of: Crocodilus / Crocodylus / genus Crocodilus / genus Crocodylus = type genus of the Crocodylidae
- young animal: hatchling
- female animal: cow
- male animal: bull
- collective noun: bask / congregation / float / nest
- collateral adjective: crocodilian
Alternative definition of the noun crocodile
- Any of a variety of related predatory amphibious reptiles, related to the alligator.
- synonym: croc [informal]
- A long line or procession of people (especially children) walking together.
- "Crocodile" is a 2000 American horror film, directed by Tobe Hooper and released direct-to-video on 26 December 2000. It was followed by a sequel, Crocodile 2: Death Swamp, released in 2002.
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- producers: Frank Strausser, Ronnie Truss, Mark Wooding
- written by Jace Anderson, Michael D. Weiss, Adam Gierasch
- based on a story by Boaz Davidson
- Mark McLachlan as Brady Turner
- Caitlin Martin as Claire
- Summer Knight as Sunny
- Chris Solari as Duncan McKay
- Marti Pellow
- Harrison Young as Sheriff Bowman
- Julie Mintz as Annabelle
- D.W. Reiser as Kit
- Terrence Evans as Shurkin
- Rhett Wilkins as Foster
- Miles as Princess
- Kip Addotta as Stanley The Fisherman
- Adam Gierasch as Lester
- Crystal Dillan Atkins
- Larry Udy as Arnold
- Vern Crofoot as Harvey
- Greg Wayne as Hubs
- cinematography by Eliot Rockett
- edited by Alain Jakubowicz & Andy Horvitch
- music by Serge Colbert
- genres: Horror, Natural horror film, Teen film, Action/Adventure, Thriller, Action Film
- rating: R (USA)
- released on (15 years ago)
- "Crocodile" is a 1996 South Korean film. It was the directorial debut of Ki-duk Kim and stars Cho Jae-hyun as "Crocodile".
- also known as Ageo, Ag-o, Ak ŏ, Ag-eo
- country: South Korea
- language: Korean Language
- director: Kim Ki-duk
- producers: Kim Byeong-su, Jin-cheol Kim, Soon-young Kim
- art direction by Kim Ki-duk & Nam Tae-woo
- written by Kim Ki-duk
- music by Lee Mun-hee
- genres: East Asian cinema, World cinema, Drama
- released on (19 years ago)
- read more about Crocodile (film)
- "Crocodile" a.k.a. "Blood Surf" a 2000 horror film directed by James D.R. Hickox. It was released in the United States on June 26, 2001 but was released earlier in some countries. The plot of the movie entails a pair of entrepreneurs with more bravery than brains hit upon the idea of blood surfing: spreading chum in the water in order to attract sharks, then hopping on a surfboard and riding through the middle of the pack. As they are filming their promotional documentary, the fun gets interrupted by a thirty-foot long salt water crocodile that begins snacking on everyone in the expedition.
- read more about Blood Surf
- "Crocodile" is a 1979–1980 Thai monster film directed by Sompote Sands.
- "Crocodile" is a 2014 family drama short film written by Robin French and directed by Gaëlle Denis.
- also known as Cocodrilo
- country: United Kingdom
- language: English Language
- producers: Ohna Falby & Zorana Piggott
- executive producers: Nicky Bentham & Emily Kyriakides
- production design by Carly Reddin
- art direction by Toby Browne & Alex Woodward
- written by Robin French
- casting by Sophie North
- cinematography by David Ungaro
- edited by Nicolas Chaudeurge & Paul Hardcastle
- music by Tara Creme, Mara Carlyle
- costume design by Susie Coulthard
- genres: Drama, Family
- released on
- official website: gaelledenis.com/work/crocodile
- "Crocodile" is a 2009 short animation film written and directed by Kaspar Jancis.
- Crocodile is a fictional character from the 1996 film Crocodile.
- Crocodile is a fictional character from the 2003 film Scooby-Doo! and the Legend of the Vampire.
- Crocodile is a fictional charater from the 2001 film Guru Mahaaguru.
- Crocodile is a fictional character from the 1995 film Jumanji.
- Crocodile is a fictional character from the 2000 film Peter Pan.
- Crocodile is a fictional character from the 2006 film Elephant Tales.
- Crocodile is a fictional film character.
Phrases with Crocodile
Phrases starting with the word Crocodile:
Phrases ending with the word Crocodile:
- nile crocodile
- asian crocodile
- Cuban Crocodile
- Dwarf Crocodile
- Marsh Crocodile
- Swamp Crocodile
- Belize Crocodile
- Mugger Crocodile
- african crocodile
- Mindoro Crocodile
- Orinoco Crocodile
- Siamese Crocodile
- American Crocodile
- Cociella Crocodile
View more phrases with the word Crocodile in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Crocodile
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Christopher T. Dieter
The Saltwater Crocodile (Crocodylus porosus) Origin and Habitat The saltwater crocodile is a wide-ranging species found in Australia, Papua New Guinea, Indonesia, and Southeast Asia. The saltwater crocodile has a great tolerance for ...
Classification The saltwater crocodile is a huge carnivorous reptile. Its scientific name is Crocodylus porosus. It belongs to...
by Amanda Wise
The crocodile is the most important symbol in the Timorese creation myth. The island of Timor is...
Odd Scratches! (2002)
by Mayunga N'Ntangalo
A Crocodile Is A Parson With our naked eyes: Some of us living on the Gondwanaland dry trees Killing others while celebrating deaths of dwellings Nowadays we believe this Mapelelo's sayings free us and knife ourselves. 'A crocodile is a ...
Simone de Beauvoir (1991)
A Biography by Deirdre Bair
TWENTY-SEVEN The Crocodile Is the Frog's Destiny A JL \. lgren filled a very important role in Beauvoir's life, that of mentor for all things American, especially the political and social history of the United States. In almost every letter, ...
How to Write About Music (2015)
Excerpts from the 33 1/3 Series, Magazines, Books and Blogs with Advice from Industry-leading Writers
Crocodile is the Rolls-Royce of machete makers.) A bowl from Heath Ceramics ( the interior glaze is a different yet complimentary color to the outer finish, like Japanese ceramics but a lot sturdier). Novel: Denis Johnson—Jesus' Son.— Richard ...
Vertebrate Life (2016)
by CTI Reviews
The American crocodile is a species of crocodilian found in the Neotropics. It is the most widespread of the four extant species of crocodiles from the Americas. Populations occur from the Atlantic and Pacific coasts of southern Mexico to South ...
The Tickle Test (2017)
by Kathryn White
but tickling a crocodile is the hardest one – with those sharp teeth! This is a ticklish tale that children will love.
East of Suez (2011)
A Play in Seven Scenes by W. Somerset Maugham
A small stuffed crocodile is a prominent object. Next to this is a shop where crockery is sold, large coloured jars, plates, and all manner of strange animals. In all the shops two or three Chinamen are seated. Some read newspapers through ...
and More True Stories of Adventures with Animals by Brady Barr, Kathleen Weidner Zoehfeld
°e ndnev a-leho Chdtc -"l The American crocodile is an endangered species in ...
The crocodile is a gigantic animal of 4 m in length. Its body is covered in hard scales and bony shields. It hunts large mammals such as buffalos and gnus. It loves floating in the river looking for prey. The electric eel can be as much as 2.4 m in ...
The Secret Doctrine (1993)
(Three Volumes in a Slipcase) by Helena Petrovna Blavatsky
The crocodile is the Egyptian dragon. It was the dual symbol of Heaven and Earth , of Sun and Moon, and was made sacred, in consequence of its amphibious nature, to Osiris and Isis. According to Euse- bius, the Egyptians represented the ...
Dictionary of Proverbs of the Sinhalese Including Also Their Adages, Aphorisms, Apologues, Apothegms, Bywords, Dictums, Maxims, Mottoes, Precepts, Saws, and Sayings, Together with the Connected Myths, Legends, and Folk-tales (2005)
by John M. Senaveratna
" CROCODILE Like the arrangement of a ...
by Vern L. Bullough
One provides for the feces of crocodile ...
by John F. Mongillo, Linda Zierdt-Warshaw
Crocodiles are narrowly distributed in tropical and subtropical regions. The largest member of the order, which may grow to lengths of 9 meters (30 feet), is the salt-water crocodile, which inhabits coastal Notice the head shapes of the crocodile ...
The Antarctic Dictionary (2000)
A Complete Guide to Antarctic English by Bernadette Hince
|Crocodile. probably from the long snout and plentiful teeth of the fish. Some of the icefish have names which translate into English from other languages as crocodile fish: the South Georgia icefish is draco cocodrilo in Spanish and crocodile ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Crocodile
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Crocodile
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Swaroop C H
Photo credit: RichardBowen
Photo credit: Neil T
Photo credit: Ben124.
Photo credit: Swaroop C H
A good thing to do at Selous is take a boat trip; the river is infested with crocodiles...
Photo credit: NH53
Photo credit: dgoomany
This crocodile wasn't asleep, in spite of appearances!
Photo credit: NH53
crocodilw resting in the sun
Photo credit: ralky
A Crocodile at Symbio.
Photo credit: jonisanowl
Photo credit: Mon Œil
Photo credit: Swaroop C H
Oldsmobile Super 88 (1953)
Photo credit: Rob Oo
Photo credit: albertstraub
Photo credit: RichardJames1990
Photo credit: Ravi Jandhyala
- Young crocodile
This one, living together with a number of turtles, is less than a meter long. Wonder if he gets bullied by the turtles :)
Photo credit: Leszek.Leszczynski
- Crocodile Smiling
Photo credit: laradanielle
- Crocodile Sculptor
British Ironworks Centre
Photo credit: MICOLO J Thanx
Photo credit: K Mick
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Crocodile
Click on an item to play that video:
- Rugby jargon 'missile, 'can-opener' and 'crocodile roll' | Against The Head
Bernard Jackman demystifies the 'missile', the 'can-opener' and the 'crocodile roll' and the panel discuss the usefulness of rugby jargon.
- Crocodile Meaning
Video shows what crocodile means. Any of the predatory amphibious reptiles of the family Crocodylidae; a crocodilian, any species of the order Crocodilia, ...
- Hatcham Social - Crocodile - at New Slang, Kingston - Jan 2014
Hatcham Social - Crocodile - at New Slang, Kingston - Jan 2014.
- Crocodile mh description
- Crocodile Dentist - Blethers Speech and Language Therpy
Using crocodile dentist for speech & language therapy work, Edinburgh & Lothian.
- Crocodile V Great White Shark FIGHT Underwater Camera | Description only
croc alligator gator shark great white hammer head hammerhead bull underwater sea ocean pacific channel fight teeth rows river nile saltwater salt water gangs ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Crocodile!
Alligator Crocodile Sign Language
Open and close "curved-five-handshapes" to represent the teeth of an alligator or crocodile.
Quotes about Crocodile
On the black-berry tree
I have left my lungs and heart
On crocodile's back
When I started my journey
in to the sea.
I have not show my
Disregard to anybody
And my co-villagers
All support me
And the crocodile
Never seen as before. (Gajanan Mishra)
more quotes about crocodile...
Scrabble value of C3R1O1C3O1D2I1L1E1
The value of this 9-letter word is 14 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of CROCODILE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Crocodile!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Crocodile to see it in context!