Crowd appears in the following pangram (a sentence using every letter of the alphabet at least once):
- My ex pub quiz crowd gave joyful thanks (32 letters)
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun crowd:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb crowd:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun crowd
- Definition of the verb crowd
- Phrases with Crowd
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Crowd
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Crowd
- Photos about Crowd
- Video language resources about Crowd
- Quotes about Crowd
- Scrabble value of C3R1O1W4D2
- Anagrams of CROWD
- Share this page
The word crowd is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun crowd
What does crowd mean as a name of something?
Crowd is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: crowds
- a large number of things or people considered together
- example: a crowd of insects assembled around the flowers
- lexical domain: Groups - nouns denoting groupings of people or objects
- more generic words: assemblage / gathering = a group of persons together in one place
- more specific words:
- army = a large number of people united for some specific purpose
- crush / press / jam = a dense crowd of people
- drove / horde / swarm = a moving crowd
- huddle = a disorganized and densely packed crowd
- rabble / rout / mob = a disorderly crowd of people
- phalanx = any closely ranked crowd of people
- flock / troop = an orderly crowd
- an informal body of friends
Alternative definition of the noun crowd
- Several things collected or closely pressed together; also, some things adjacent to each other.
- A group of people congregated or collected into a close body without order.
- (with definite article) The so-called lower orders of people; the populace, vulgar.
- A group of people united or at least characterised by a common interest.
- [obsolete] A crwth, an Ancient Celtic plucked string instrument.
- [now dialectal] A fiddle.
Definition of the verb crowd
What does crowd mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: crowded | crowding | crowds
- cause to herd, drive, or crowd together
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being] [Verb] [Destination] Jessica sprayed the wall | Leslie staffed the store [Agent - being] [Verb] [Destination] with [Theme] Jessica loaded the wagon with boxes [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] Jessica squirted water [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] at [Destination] Jessica squirted water at me [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] [Locative Preposition] [Destination] Jessica loaded boxes into the wagon [Theme - substance or concrete object, plural] [Verb] [Destination] Crowds packed the stands [Theme - substance or concrete object, plural] [Verb] [Locative or Directional Preposition] [Destination] Paint sprayed onto the wall
- lexical domain: Motions - verbs of walking, flying, swimming
- synonym of crowd: herd
- more generic words: displace / move = cause to move or shift into a new position or place, both in a concrete and in an abstract sense
- more specific word: overcrowd = cause to crowd together too much
- fill or occupy to the point of overflowing
- to gather together in large numbers
- example: men in straw boaters and waxed mustaches crowded the verandah
- lexical domain: Motions - verbs of walking, flying, swimming
- synonym of crowd: crowd together
- more generic words: assemble / foregather / forgather / gather / meet = collect in one place
- more specific words:
- approach a certain age or speed
Alternative definition of the verb crowd
- [transitive] To push, to press, to shove.
- [transitive] To press or drive together; to mass together.
- [transitive] To fill by pressing or thronging together; hence, to encumber by excess of numbers or quantity.
- [transitive] To press by solicitation; to urge; to dun; hence, to treat discourteously or unreasonably.
- [nautical] To approach another ship too closely when it has right of way
- [intransitive] To press together or collect in numbers; to swarm; to throng
- [intransitive] To urge or press forward; to force one's self; as, a man crowds into a room
- [nautical] (of a square-rigged ship) [transitive] To carry excessive sail
- "Crowd" a.k.a. "The Crowd" is a 1928 American silent film directed by King Vidor and starring Eleanor Boardman and James Murray.
- country: United States of America
- languages: English Language, Silent film
- producer: Irving Thalberg
- written by King Vidor & John V. A. Weaver
- set decoration by Cedric Gibbons
- genres: Black-and-white, Silent film, Drama
- released in (87 years ago)
- "Crowd" is a 2012 animated short film directed by Boris Labbe.
- country: France
- genre: Animation
- released in
- "Crowd" is a musical single of Gimmick.
- released on (9 years ago)
- "Crowd" is a musical single of Havergal.
- released in (17 years ago)
- "Crowd" is a musical EP of Nox.
- released in (27 years ago)
Crowd is a musical group.
- album: "Jūtu evolūcija"
- official website: www.crowd.lv
Phrases with Crowd
Phrases starting with the word Crowd:
- Crowd Up
- Crowd Art
- crowd out
- Crowd Catch
- Crowd Surfer
- crowd control
- Crowd surfing
- crowd together
Phrases ending with the word Crowd:
Other phrase containing the word Crowd:
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Crowd
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
A Journey to Freedom (2000)
An Interdisciplinary Approach to the Anthropology of Formation by Franco Imoda
A crowd is the social equivalent of a cancer;
The New State (1920)
Group Organization the Solution of Popular Government by Mary Parker Follett
A crowd is an undifferentiated mass; a group is an articulated whole. It is often difficult to...
The Genealogy of Violence (2001)
Reflections on Creation, Freedom, and Evil by Charles K. Bellinger
"The crowd" is a phenomenon that arises out of spiritual evasion; thus it does not express the "nature" of human beings as they were intended by God in creation. The crowd is a perversion of nature; it is social sickness that replaces what ought ...
Contagion Theory in the Age of Networks by Tony D. Sampson
The Crowd is the neurotic guided by a “psychological reality” or “hysterical symptom” rather than the “repetition of real experience”:75 The sense of guilt [of the neurotic crowd is] an obsessional neurosis based upon the fact of an evil intention ...
Amiel's Journal (1889)
The Journal Intime of Henri-Frédéric Amiel by Henri Frédéric Amiel
A crowd is a material force, and the support of numbers gives a proposition the force of law ; but that wise and ripened temper of mind which takes everything into account, and therefore tends to truth, is never engendered by the impetuosity of ...
McCarthy's Bar (2014)
A Journey of Discovery In Ireland by Pete McCarthy
The crowd is the usual mix of solemn Scandinavians, Teutons and Mediterranean types at the front, and Irish atthe back. TheGerman couple atthetable nextto us – a heavily madeup womanin furfabric animal prints, anda manwith a serial ...
by Hensleigh Wedgwood (M.A.)
Crowd. — Crowder. The crowd or fiddle was recognised by the Romans as a British instrument. Romanusque lyra plaudat tibi, Barbarus barpii, Grsecus Achilliaca ; crotla Britanna placet. Fortunatus in Due. Named from the hollow sounding ...
Crowd C25 certain group, it would be worthwhile to relate class to the extent of malnutrition for meaningful understanding. More variables like sex can also be added. Thus one can find out whether girls of a poor class have higher incidence of ...
by Blair A. Rudes
''tey- crowd, drove, herd, team; sweet cicely.
by Linda E. Swayne, Mark Dodds
Casual, conventional, expressive, and acting are the four basic crowd types. Many researchers add a fifth, protesting, which can lead to a riotous or moblike scenario. A casual crowd is one that has no binding element for the participants.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Crowd
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Crowd
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: lorenkerns
Photo credit: lisa-skorpion
Photo credit: markoknuutila
Photo credit: Peter Kaminski
A small crowd of people waiting for a Jeepney. Bacolod City, Philippines.
Photo credit: Beegee49
A large crowd, taken just after a Muse concert in Paris (not that you can tell). Incredible density of people as they walked slowly to the exit, without a hint of overcrowding. Great to have been in such a good position to get faces and a good smattering of colour.
Photo credit: James Cridland
4-th week, the 9449 km project, theme: "Crowd", try 2
Photo credit: nicubunu.photo
Just showing how packed it can be
Photo credit: Moot Point Photographs
A very crowded south bank near the London Eye
Photo credit: oatsy40
- TVFestival crowd
Photo credit: @boetter
- Graduation crowd
Large crowd at graduation.
Photo credit: UNE Photos
- Rally crowd
Photo credit: soukup
- Otakon Crowd
Yes, even a crowd in the lobby of Otakon is bigger than most conventions.
Photo credit: Apreche
- Typical Crowd
Photo credit: andrewmalone
Don't Chicken Out!
Photo credit: hwanation
- Crowd Blur
Photo credit: jojo nicdao
- Zombie crowd!
Photo credit: Björn Söderqvist
- Illuminated Crowd
Photo credit: pthread1981
- Reboot7 crowd
Photo credit: @boetter
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Crowd
Click on an item to play that video:
- Rapture Ruckus: "In Crowd" Meaning
WJTL at Creation Festival 2014: John Staffieri talks to Brad Dring of Rapture Ruckus.
- Crowd Explanation for Dome nose cone
- Crowd Meaning
Video shows what crowd means. To push, to press, to shove.. To press or drive together; to mass together.. To fill by pressing or thronging together; hence, ...
- Further Explanation That The Great Crowd Go To Heaven!
- Idiom: TWO'S COMPANY, THREE'S A CROWD
- Crowd Funding wtih Dr. Wright #5 Terminology
- Never Shout Never talking to crowd before California Slang - Manchester 9/5/2013
- Out Crowd 110 - Pinky Rang Slang
- Idiom Running with the wrong crowd
- OASIS - The meaning of soul - Live in Buenos Aires 2009 - Great crowd - Original release
3 de Mayo, 2009... Oasis en Buenos Aires Argentina... Tremendo Show!
- ESL One Frankfurt: Alliance wins against Cloud9 (crowd reaction)
After an incredible 70+ minutes game full of action and back and forths Alliance finally beat Cloud9.
- ESL one 2015 techies - crowd experience
- ESL One NYC crowd
- Crowd Funding for English Language School in China
This is an Indiegogo Crowd Funding Project to raise money that will be used to improve and expand the school. This will enhance the income earning potential ...
- ESL One Frankfurt 2014 crowd [short video]
Dota 2 only event that took place on 28 - 29 July in Frankfurt, Germany. Over 12k people present.
- Flothemes :: Crowd - Menu Description
- Esl one ffm15 crowd - EG vs Secret - Final ggWp
Crowd goes crazy after the final gg wp in Match no. 4 of Secret vs EG @esl one ffm15.
- Neuro Liguistic Programming on Visual Audio Kinesthetic language in a mixed Crowd mlk
Communicating with a VAK-Mixed audience When your dealing with writing copy, or a book for people you will never interact with. You need to be able to ...
- Language Changes Draw SRO Crowd
- Social Media Language Lab - CROWD SOURCING
Social Media Language Lab tutorial on Crowd Sourcing. A definition with an illustrative example.
- MLK supporters clash with Glenn Beck crowd in DC (caution: language)
- "Jump in, Jump out" for the ESL crowd :-)
- Drama Signing Dictionary Crowd
- Crowd, Boo - Medium Indoor Crowd: Booing with Some Vulgar Language Angry, Booing, Hissing,...
Provided to YouTube by The Orchard Enterprises Crowd, Boo - Medium Indoor Crowd: Booing with Some Vulgar Language Angry, Booing, Hissing, Yelling ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Crowd!
Quotes about Crowd
Scrabble value of C3R1O1W4D2
The value of this 5-letter word is 11 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of CROWD
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Crowd!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Crowd to see it in context!