Dad appears in the following tongue twister:
- Ken Dodd's dad's dog 's dead.
Dad is a palindrome (it reads the same backward as forward).
It also appears in many palindromes:
- Di as dad said.
- A dad dabs bad dada.
- Boston dad not S.O.B..
Usage statistics for the noun dad:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun dad
- Phrases with Dad
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Dad
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Dad
- Usage statistics about dad
- Photos about Dad
- Videos about Dad
- Sign language
- Quotes about Dad
- Scrabble value of D2A1D2
- Anagrams of DAD
- Share this page
The word dad is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun dad
What does dad mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: dads
- an informal term for a father; probably derived from baby talk
- examples: You should apologize to Dad for not coming home in time for supper. | It looks like Yokkun's dad ran off with his nursery school teacher. | I could say nothing in my dad's presence. | But Dad won't like it. | But I don't think Dad would like me to. | Mom wants to go there, but Dad wants to watch TV at home. | Dad told me to help you, Mom. | Dad is a hard worker. | Dad rarely gets back home before midnight. | My dad has a look at the newspaper every morning.
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- synonyms of dad: dada / daddy / pa / papa / pappa / pop
- more generic terms: begetter / father / male parent = a male parent
- "Dad" is a 1989 American comedy-drama film written and directed by Gary David Goldberg and starring Jack Lemmon, Ted Danson, Olympia Dukakis, Kevin Spacey and Ethan Hawke. It is based on William Wharton's novel of the same name. The original music score was composed by James Horner. The film was produced by Amblin Entertainment and distributed by Universal Pictures.
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- production design by Jackson DeGovia
- art direction by John R. Jensen
- written by Gary David Goldberg
- based on "Dad" by William Wharton
- cinematography by Jan Kiesser
- music by James Horner
- costume design by Molly Maginnis
- location: Los Angeles
- genres: Comedy-drama, Comedy, Drama
- tagline: Sometimes the greatest man you ever meet... is the first one.
- rating: PG (USA)
- released on (25 years ago)
- "Dad" a.k.a. "Daddy": Tato is a 1995 drama film written and directed by Maciej Slesicki.
- read more about Daddy
- "Dad" a.k.a. "Oca" is a 2010 Slovenian drama film directed by Vlado Škafar.
- read more about Oca
- "Dad" is a 2006 short drama film written & directed by Daniel Mulloy.
- also known as Pateras, Tato
- country: United Kingdom
- language: English Language
- producers: Ohna Falby, Amber Templemore-Finlayson, Verity Wislocki
- written by Daniel Mulloy
- casting by Claire Saunders
- cinematography by Jakob Ihre
- edited by Dan Robinson
- genre: Drama
- released on (8 years ago)
- award: - European Film Award for Best Short Film nomination for Daniel Mulloy
- "Dad" is a 1998 documentary film written and directed by Chris Triffo.
- producer: Chris Triffo
- written by Chris Triffo
- edited by Dean Evans
- Donald Brittain Award for Best Social/Political Documentary Program nomination for Chris Triffo
- Gemini Award for Best Direction in a Documentary Program or Series nomination for Chris Triffo
- Gemini Award for Best Picture Editing in a Documentary Program or Series nomination for Dean Evans
- Gemini Award for Best Direction in a Documentary Program or Series, received by Chris Triffo
- Gemini Award for Best Picture Editing in a Documentary Program or Series, received by Dean Evans
"Dad" is a novel written by William Wharton.
- also known as "Dad: a novel"
- language: English Language
- subjects: Family, Father, Father-Son Relationships
- released in (34 years ago)
- award: - National Book Award for Fiction (Hardcover) nomination for William Wharton
- Dad is a fictional character from the 2012 film Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted.
- Dad is a fictional character from the 2007 film Transformers.
- Dad is a fictional character from the 2011 film Dad, Lenin and Freddy.
- Dad a.k.a. Lawrence Fletcher is a fictional character from the TV series Phineas and Ferb.
- read more about Lawrence Fletcher
- Dad is a fictional character from the 2013 film About Time.
- Dad is a fictional character from the 2007 drama film The Inheritance.
- Dad is a fictional character from the 2002 film 40 Days and 40 Nights.
- Dad is a fictional character from Sudkate Salateped.
- Dad is a fictional film character.
- Dad is a fictional character from The Naked Brothers Band series.
- dad a.k.a. Father is a fictional character from the 2012 film The Ugly Duckling.
- read more about Father
- Dad is a fictional character from the 1983 film Monty Python's The Meaning of Life.
- Dad a.k.a. Papà is a fictional character in the 2011 animated short film La Luna.
- read more about Papà
- Dad is a fictional character from the 2012 film Dollhouse.
- Dad is a fictional character from the 2002 film Kamchatka.
- Dad a.k.a. Papa is a fictional character from the 2008 film The Inhabited Island.
- read more about Papa
There are other characters with in their name, like Gay Dad, Ghost Dad, Dad Savage, John's Dad, Henry's Dad, Jason's Dad, Scott's Dad, Deadbeat Dad, Nobita's Dad, Stay at home dad, Worlds Greatest Dad, World's Greatest Dad.
- "Dad" is the second studio album by the Christian alternative rock band Breakfast with Amy, released in 1991. Produced by the band at Casbah Studios in Fullerton, CA, Dad was the group's second studio album and first studio release with new label Blonde Vinyl Records. Breakfast with Amy's new home with Michael Knott's record company, which was at the time at the forefront of the Christian alternative rock scene in Southern California, allowed the band access to a much larger audience than before with Narrowpath Records. This album saw the band use more punk sounds than in their previous release, although some neo-psychedelic/funk influences are still present.
- genre: Christian alternative rock
- released in (24 years ago)
- "Dad" is a musical single of K's Choice.
- released in (19 years ago)
- "Dad" is a 1989 studio album by the indie rock act A Band Called Bud, later known as the Grifters.
- genre: Indie rock
- released in (26 years ago)
- "Dad" is a composition.
- music by Venetian Snares
- Dad a.k.a. Tyler McGill: Tyler Tennant McGill is an American competition swimmer who is a butterfly specialist and has been a member of two world champion relay teams from the United States. He was a member of the 2012 United States Olympic Team and earned a gold medal as a member of the winning U.S. team in the 4x100-meter medley relay at the 2012 Summer Olympics.
- read more about Tyler McGill
- Dad a.k.a. Sammy Shore is an actor and comedian.
- read more about Sammy Shore (comedian)
- Dad a.k.a. Carlos Eduardo Imperial: Carlos Eduardo da Corte Imperial, better known as Carlos Imperial, was a Brazilian actor, filmmaker, television presenter, songwriter and music producer from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- read more about Carlos Eduardo Imperial (actor)
- Dad a.k.a. Fred Silverstein is a film and television producer.
- read more about Fred Silverstein
- Dad a.k.a. Louis Stone was a stockbroker.
- read more about Louis Stone
- DAD a.k.a. D-A-D is a Danish rock band originally "Disneyland After Dark", a name that had to be changed after a threatening lawsuit from The Walt Disney Company. Their style of music is often categorized as melodic heavy rock. They have also used the names D.A.D., D•A•D and D:A:D, each name representing a period in the band's history.
- read more about D-A-D
- DAD is a musical group.
There are other groups with in their name, like dad's, My Dad, Gay Dad, BK & Dad, Cool Dad, Mum & Dad, Dad Mom God, Mum and Dad, Cordelia's Dad, My Dad Is Dead, Dad's Porno Mag, My Dad Vs Yours, Dad and the Boys and Dad They Broke Me.
- Dad is a village in Komárom-Esztergom county, Hungary.
- Dad a.k.a. Da Nang International Airport: Đà Nẵng International Airport is located in Đà Nẵng, the largest city in central Vietnam. It is the third international airport in the country, besides Noi Bai International Airport and Tan Son Nhat International Airport, and is an important gateway to access central Vietnam.
- also known as Da Nang Airport
- part of Vietnam
- Dad a.k.a. Ḍād is one of the six letters the Arabic alphabet added to the twenty-two inherited from the Phoenician alphabet. In name and shape, it is a variant of ṣād.
- read more about Ḍād
- Dad is a BBC1 sitcom that ran for 13 episodes over two series and a Christmas special. Described by the BBC as a 'generation-gap comedy', it centered on the trials and tribulations of Alan Hook and his father Brian. Alan would often find himself getting increasingly frustrated with the endeavours of his father, whilst the world seemed to be forever against him.
- Dad is the title of a so-called "lost episode" of the British science fiction comedy television series, Red Dwarf. The planned first episode of the show's third series, Dad was never filmed or even fully scripted: writers Rob Grant and Doug Naylor abandoned it halfway through writing it. Instead, the basic events of the episode were written into a pre-title Star Wars-eque scroll sequence of the episode Backwards, which became the new Series III premiere. Jokes from the script were also worked into other episodes: for example, Lister's revealing that he was abandoned at birth and Rimmer's subsequent speculation that Lister was the product of brother-sister incest was written into the episode The Last Day.
- dad is a gene.
- Dad is a 2005 British television film made by BBC Wales. It stars Richard Briers, Kevin Whately, Jean Heywood, Sinéad Cusack and Hannah Daniels. It is written by Lucy Gannon, produced by Hilary Bevan Jones and directed by Sarah Harding.
Phrases with Dad
Phrases starting with the word Dad:
Phrases ending with the word Dad:
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Dad
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Dad Is a "Drinking Man" (1999)
by R. K. Landa
Dad is a T EXT L IVES H ERE “Drinking Man” Subhead Author's name R. K. Landa DAD IS A “DRINKING MAN” DAD IS A “DRINKING MAN”. 0518 -LAND-soft_front.
Principles and Practices for an Adaptive Approach by Charles G. Cobb
DAD is a hybrid approach which extends Scrum with proven strategies from Agile Modeling (AM), Extreme Programming (XP), Unified Process (UP), Kanban, Lean Software Development, Outside In Development (OID) and several other ...
by Richard L. Kradin
Although DAD is the most frequent pathologic cause of the clinical entity known as adult respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS), other diseases, including extensive bronchopneumonia and acute pulmonary hemorrhage, can also lead to ARDS ...
Fantasy Life (2013)
The Outrageous, Uplifting, and Heartbreaking World of Fantasy Sports from the Gu y Who's Lived It by Matthew Berry
Ryan's dad is a competitive guy. Like, competitive competitive. The kind of ...
A - D by Hensleigh Wedgwood
See Dad. 2. Dad. W. tad. Lap. dadda (in ...
by William Reeve, Daniel Sanderson
dad C;Vj to take refuge, seek shelter. B. morragu, See daYrti. C. »Ji)-3A);J morr6, #.
by John Shakespear
ole dad (दङ्क) s. m. A ringworm, herpes, blotch : (dakh. also) the shingles, St. Anthony's fire (Harris). P. ०le ddd, s. f. 1. Gift, giving. 2. Justice, law ...
by Jack Cazes
Table 1 Families of priority and emerging pollutants, principal method of analysis proposed, and main sources SPE, solid-phase extraction; LLE, liquid-liquid extraction; SPME, solid-phase microextraction; DAD, diode-array detector; CD, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Dad
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about dad
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Usage statistics for the noun dad:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun dad:
Photos about Dad
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Dad
Click on an item to play that video:
- Transformers Robots in Disguise Dad Explanation and Grimlock's First Transform
- SLANG CHALLENGE - Ft. Weekly Chris's Dad
Do you know more slang than Weekly Chris? Watch and find out!
- The Meaning of Being a Dad
Author and Envirodad.com creator Eric Novak discusses the meaning of being a Dad in this video montage featuring dozens of fathers, and designed to be a ...
- The raccoons mating and a dad's hard explanation stituation
from the US of a dad trying to explain away a pair of mating raccoons.
- Definition of a Dad [PRO-TV]
Young people discuss and reflect on the importance of having a father. For more info on PRO-TV, DCTV's youth media arts training program, go to ...
- Robert Kiyosaki's Definition of Wealth from Rich Dad Poor Dad
Real estate investor Shauwn Digman of Passive Equity, LLC explains the definition of wealth as described in Robert Kiyosaki's "Rich Dad, Poor Dad."
- Teaching Asian Dad internet slang
- DAD Meaning
Video shows what DAD means. A designation on prerecorded compact discs indicating that the contents were recorded in digital but mixed in analog before ...
- Internet Slang with ma Dad
- Dad's meaning
- Essential Dad and Parent Skills 2-10: Your new definition of a well stocked fridge
So much for the Bud light. A well stocked fridge is a clue to fatherly happiness. Check it out. Love it? Hate it? Like it? Know how to do it better? Just looking for ...
- Mom & Dad : Meaning of Family
- Dad Meaning
Video shows what Dad means. One's father.. Dad Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say Dad. Powered by MaryTTS, Wiktionary.
- Dad Rocks! at New Slang, Kingston
- The Meaning of Being a Dad : Happy Father's Day
- English for children,ESL Kids Lessons - Family members, dad, mum, brother
- How to Pick a Father's Day Gift According to Dad's Love Language
FREE Positive Parenting Training. Sign up here...
- Pittsburgh Dad wants 'jagoff' in the dictionary
- American Dad: Theme (2-Language - [Eng&RuS&Of-RuS])
Original Filiza Studio 2x2 (TV)
- Homefront: Dad Knows Best, ESL Conversational Words
The Homefront videos are free ESL videos intended to inspire and motivate you while learning new everyday words in English. Watch and learn!
- Super Secret Dad Language
- Rachel's description words of her Dad MustangMedic
Customer Testimonial video playlist...
- Haida language: Dad
via YouTube Capture.
- ESL Dad
- Dad's Challenge #1: The Dictionary
See also the pronunciation examples of Dad!
Click on an item to play that video:
- Brides Dad does a SIGN Language tribute at his daughters wedding . . .
Watch this Dad bring the Bride to tears as he surprises her on her wedding day, with the results of his 12 months of hard work ...
- Baby Sign Language for Mom and Dad
Free Baby Sign Language video at...
- DAD in sign language (ASL)
- Ishan and dad arguing in sign language...sep 21 2013
via YouTube Capture.
- American Baby Sign Language - Dad & Grandpa
How to sign Dad & Grandpa? Touch your thumb to your forehead to sign Dad, do the same and bounce it forward to sign Grandpa The clip is taken from Baby ...
Quotes about Dad
I didn't know my dad for a long time. My dad was on drugs and my dad was at the VA Hospital, my dad was off in his own world selling drugs or using them or there would be crack heads in the house or whatever it would be. (Shia LaBeouf)
more quotes about dad...
Scrabble value of D2A1D2
The value of this 3-letter word is 5 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of DAD
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Dad!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Dad to see it in context!