The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun dam:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun dam
- Definition of the verb dam
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Dam
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Dam
- Photos about Dam
- Videos about Dam
- Quotes about Dam
- Scrabble value of D2A1M3
- Anagrams of DAM
- Share this page
Dam is sometimes a misspelling of jam.
The word dam is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun dam
What does dam mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: dams
- a barrier constructed to contain the flow of water or to keep out the sea
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- synonyms of dam: dike / dyke
- more generic word: barrier = a structure or object that impedes free movement
- more specific words:
- a metric unit of length equal to ten meters
- lexical domain: Quantities - nouns denoting quantities and units of measure
- synonyms of dam: decameter / decametre / dekameter / dekametre / dkm
- more generic term: metric linear unit = a linear unit of distance in metric terms
- part of: hectometer / hectometre / hm = a metric unit of length equal to 100 meters
- part: meter / metre / m = the basic unit of length adopted under the Systeme International d'Unites
- female parent of an animal especially domestic livestock
Alternative definition of the noun dam
- Structure placed across a flowing body of water to stop the flow.
- [dentistry] A device to prevent a tooth from getting wet, consisting of a rubber sheet held with a band.
- Mother, generally regarding breeding of animals (compare sire).
Specialised definition of the noun dam
Glossary of sports / dog racing
the mother of a greyhound (2005. Chambers Sports Factfinder. Chambers Harrap Publishers Ltd)
Glossary of sports / equestrian
the mother of a foal (2005. Chambers Sports Factfinder. Chambers Harrap Publishers Ltd)
Definition of the verb dam
What does dam mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: dammed, damming
- obstruct with, or as if with, a dam
- example: dam the gorges of the Yangtse River
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being] [Verb] [Destination] Jessica sprayed the wall | Leslie staffed the store [Agent - being] [Verb] [Destination] in [Theme] Leigh swaddled the baby in blankets [Agent - being] [Verb] [Destination] with [Theme] Leslie staffed the store with employees [Theme - concrete object] [Verb] [Destination] The employees staffed the store
Verbs of Putting (with the same syntax): adorn, anoint, bandage, bathe, bestrew, bind, blanket, block, blot, bombard, carpet, choke, cloak, clog, clutter, coat, contaminate, cover, dapple, deck, decorate, deluge, dirty, disguise, dot, douse, drench, edge, embellish, emblazon, encircle, encrust, endow, enrich, entangle, face, festoon, fill, fleck, flood, frame, garland, garnish, gild, grace, imbue, impregnate, infect, inject, inlay, interlace, interlard, interleave, intersperse, interweave, inundate, lard, lash, line, litter, mask, mottle, ornament, pad, panel, pave, plate, plug, replenish, riddle, ring, ripple, robe, saturate, season, shroud, smother, soak, soil, speckle, splotch, spot, staff, stipple, stop up, stud, suffuse, sully, surround, swaddle, swathe, taint, tile, trim, veil, vein.
- lexical domain: Contact - verbs of touching, hitting, tying, digging
- synonym of dam: dam up
- more generic terms: block / close up / impede / jam / obstruct / obturate / occlude = block passage through
Alternative definition of the verb dam
- To block the flow of water.
- DAM is a Palestinian hip-hop group. Based in Lod, Israel, DAM was founded in 1999 by brothers Tamer and Suhell Nafar and their friend Mahmoud Jreri. Their songs are largely about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and poverty. The group's name is the Arabic verb for "to last forever/eternity" and the Hebrew word for "blood", but can also be an acronym for "Da Arabian MCs." The Arabic word for "blood" is spelled similarly, but without an alif.
- Dam a.k.a. Dãm: Dam are an English extreme metal band from London, formed in 1997. The band's music, heavily influenced by early-1990s death metal, can be characterised as a fusion of death metal, black metal, and thrash metal, with some hints of progressive rock and heavy metal. The band describe their style as extreme metal.
- read more about Dãm
- released in (20 years ago)
"Dam" is a painting, printmaking (metal, oil paint) by Robert Rauschenberg, completed in (56 years ago).
- media: metal, oil paint
- genre: Abstract art
Dam is a fictional character from the 1914 film De besejrede Pebersvende.
- DAM is a record label.
- Dam is a record label.
Dam a.k.a. Damascus International Airport is a public airport located in Damascus, the capital of Syria. Officially opened in the mid-1970s, DAM is Syria's busiest international airport. In 2010, an estimated 5.5 million passengers used the airport, an increase of more than 50% since 2004.
- Dam: A dam is a barrier that impounds water or underground streams. The reservoirs created by dams not only suppress floods but provide water for various needs to include irrigation, human consumption, industrial use, aquaculture and navigability. Hydropower is often used in conjunction with dams to generate electricity. A dam can also be used to collect water or for storage of water which can be evenly distributed between locations. Dams generally serve the primary purpose of retaining water, while other structures such as floodgates or levees are used to manage or prevent water flow into specific land regions.
- also known as 水坝
- Dam: A Dam was a small Indian copper coin. The coin was first introduced by Sher Shah Suri during his rule of India between 1540 and 1545, along with Mohur, the gold coin and Rupiya the silver coin Later on, the Mughal Emperors standardised the coin along with other silver and gold coins in order to consolidate the monetary system across India.
- Dam a.k.a. Dam methylase, an abbreviation for Deoxyadenosine methylase, is an enzyme that adds a methyl group to the adenine of the sequence 5'-GATC-3' in newly synthesized DNA. Immediately after DNA synthesis, the daughter strand remains unmethylated for a short time.
- read more about Dam methylase
- dam is a gene.
- Dam a.k.a. Ndam Language: Ndam, also known as Dam and Ndamm, is an Afro-Asiatic language spoken in the southwestern Chadian prefectures of Tandjilé and Lai. Most of the speakers generally practice traditional religions, Islam, or Christianity. There are two dialects of Ndam—northern and southern, respectively—Ndam Dik, and Ndam-Ndam.
- read more about Ndam Language
- DAM in the context of chemotherapy is an acronym that means a chemotherapy regimen most often used as an induction regimen in acute myelogenous leukemia, usually for those who are refractory to the standard "7+3" induction regimen or who has relapsed. But this regimen also can be used as primary, first-line induction therapy.
- Dam a.k.a. Damakawa language: Damakawa is a moribund Benue–Congo language of northwest Nigeria. There are no longer any speakers of the language, although the oldest people can remember a few words. Approximately 80 or so words and phrases were collected, with difficulty, in April 2008.
- DAM is a record label.
- dam is a genomic locus.
- Dam is a website.
- official website: stateofwisconsin.info/people/Dam
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Dam
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Marlon Henkel
Parker Dam is a constantangle arch dam.
Basic Civil Engineering (2010)
A saddle dam is an auxiliary dam constructed to confine the reservoir created by a primary dam either to permit a higher...
Conversely, a wing dam is a structure that only partly restricts a waterway, creating a faster channel that resists the ...
by Truman, Harry S.
Kortes Dam is a product of a different philosophy about resources, and a different kind of government. High up in a mountain canyon on the North Platte River, this dam is a new source of wealth and strength for the people of the West. This is ...
PRO 32: International Conference on Advances in Concrete and Structures - ICACS 2003 (Volume 1) (2003)
by Ying-shu Yuan, Surendra P. Shah, Heng-lin Lü
Introduction LianYun-Harbor west dam is an important part of the second stage of MiaoLing Harbor...
LianYun-Harbor-west dam is the longest sea-protection project in China, and its engineering quantity is also the highest. LianYun-Harbor ...
Applications of Optimal Decision Making by Katta G. Murty
Chapter 7 Designing Earth Dams Optimally G. S. R. Murthy, Katta G. Murty and G. Raghupathy 1 Introduction A dam is a barrier that impounds water or underground streams. Dams generally serve the primary purpose of retaining water, while ...
by Meifeng Cai
Tailings dam is an important manufacturing facility for metal mines and metalloid mines. At the same time, they are the major hazardous sources. According to the study of public nuisance evaluation group in Clark University in USA (Li 1996), ...
Proceedings of the Tenth Conference of the BDS Held at the University of Wales, Bangor on 9-12 September 1998 by British Dam Society. Conference, P. Tedd
INTRODUCTION The Enguri High Arch Dam is a double curvature arch dam with gravity blocks at both abutments. The height of the...
Proceedings of the 6th International Symposium, Oslo, Norway, 23-26 September 2003 by F. Myrvoll
BACKGROUND Katse dam is a 1 85 m high double curvature concrete arch...
by R.B. Jansen
SCHRADER Civil Engineer and Concrete Specialist Walla Walla, Washington INTRODUCTION A gravity dam is an essentially solid concrete structure that resists ...
by Ajuruchukwu Obi
Infrastructure The Kat Dam is the main bulk water infrastructure in the Kat River Valley. It supplies...
The Michigan Technic (1909)
The earth dam is the common type of construction. It is natural that it should be the...
by Joseph Liow, Michael Leifer
Situated on the lower stretches of the Mekong River in northern Laos, the Xayaburi Dam is a proposed US$3.5 billion, 1,285-megawatt hydropower project whose construction is spearheaded by Thailand's second largest construction ...
by Gerald W. Fry, Gayla S. Nieminen, Harold E. Smith
PAK MUN DAM. A controversial dam built in Ubon province in the Northeast by the Electrical Generating Authority of Thailand in 1994 with $240 million of World Bank funding. The dam is located 5.5 km west of the confluence of the Mekong ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Dam
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Dam
Click on an item to view that photo:
nothing on reverse
Photo credit: anyjazz65
Photo credit: Richard Weil
Photo credit: Igor Gusarov
The Springbank dam has been opened up this summer, for some sort of renovation. This might be why the water is low.
Photo credit: timshortt
- The Historic Dam
Photo credit: Kool Cats Photography over 10 Million Views
- Hakusui dam
Photo credit: kentamabuchi
- Gartmorn Dam
Photo credit: robertpaulyoung
- Dam Square
Photo credit: tee.kay
- Cougar Dam
View of Cougar Dam and the McKenzie River valley.
Photo credit: PortlandCorps
- Jatiluhur Dam
Photo credit: Michael Tanujaya
- Tomahawk Dam
Photo credit: ThreeIfByBike
- Mill Dam
Photo credit: ramendan
- Pioneer Dam
Pioneer Hide, South of Mopani, Kruger NP, SOUTH AFRICA
Photo credit: berniedup
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Dam
Click on an item to play that video:
- Mill dam Meaning
Video shows what mill dam means. A dam constructed across a river or stream to raise the water level so that it can turn a millwheel, also, the millpond so ...
- Joey van dam: slang en vogelspin in de etalage
- Learn English Slang: The difference between Dam, and Damn.
Do you know the difference between Dam, and Damn...
- Oh hell no hidden meaning red steel dam
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = Dam design services
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = Dam inspection services
- Dam Brewery Van Gogh Bier De Garde Description
Dillon Dam Brewery Brewmaster Cory Forster describes the bier de garde brewed for the upcoming Denver Art Musuem Becoming Van Gogh exhibit.
- FPV Brno dam - description
Biplane MissBipe (Scorpio-Frnace manufactured) electronic 7 RemoteController (8ch)from HobbyKing.com 19g/19 Camera Turnigy from HK. Click Like if you ...
- U vs SYM(Dam)RU ESL (3rd place)
- ESL iXBT 4c vs Random Team (Lancang Dam)
- DAM Tutorial 01 - Setting DAM UI language
- The Human Dictionary Visits the Hoover Dam
- ESL Versus | Lancang Dam | 14.08.2014
See also the pronunciation examples of Dam!
Quotes about Dam
Every artist wants his work to be permanent. But what is The Aswan Dam covered some of the greatest art in the world. Venice is sinking. Great books and pictures were lost in the Florence floods. In the meantime we still enjoy butterflies. (Romare Beardon)
more quotes about dam...
Scrabble value of D2A1M3
The value of this 3-letter word is 6 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of DAM
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of Dam!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Dam to see it in context!