On this page:
- Definition of the noun Davara
- Phrases with Davara
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Davara
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Davara
- Photo about Davara
- Video language resources about Davara
- Scrabble value of D2A1V4A1R1A1
- Anagrams of DAVARA
- Share this page
Definition of the noun Davara
What does Davara mean as a name of something?
Davara is a genus of Pyralidae, described by Walker in 1859.
- synonym: genus Davara
- kingdom: Animalia
- phylum: Arthropoda
- class: Insecta
- order: Lepidoptera
- family: Pyralidae
- The Davara was a British steam trawler during World War II that was sunk by the German submarine U-27. On 6 January 1912, the ship was launched from Selby by the shipbuilding company Cochrane & Sons Ltd. The ship's owner, Mount Steam Fishing Co Ltd. christened her the Davara. By March 1912, the trawler was registered and completed and in 1914 she was requisitioned by the British Navy for service in World War I and fitted out for mine sweeping activities. Having survived World War I, she was returned to her owners in 1919 and served as a trawler once more until 13 September 1939 when she was sunk by 35 rounds from U-27's main deck gun. The 12 man crew managed to escape the submarine in a lifeboat while the Davara later sunk at 2:55pm from the damage inflicted by U-27's gunfire. Her crew remained in the water "baling and rowing" for five hours before they were picked up by the steamer Willowpool and safely made landfall. The Davara was the first British trawler to be sunk by enemy action in World War II.
- Davara a.k.a. Tavara: Davara is a demon of the night or nightmare in Turkish folklore of the Trabzon region.
- read more about Tavara
Phrases with Davara
Phrases starting with the word Davara:
- Davara Dalera
- Davara Caricae
- Davara Euthales
- Davara Ponsella
- Davara Nerthella
- Davara Rufulella
- Davara Columnella
- Davara Interjecta
- Davara Paranensis
- Davara Azonaxsalis
Phrases ending with the word Davara:
Other phrases containing the word Davara:
- Species Davara Dalera
- Species Davara Caricae
- Species Davara Euthales
- Species Davara Ponsella
- Species Davara Nerthella
- Species Davara Rufulella
- Species Davara Columnella
View more phrases with the word Davara in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Davara
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
In a fortnight is undertaken the operation of putting fresh earth around the seedlings- It is called Davaran. The implement used in carrying it out is called Davara and is like the Vakhar except that it is of smaller dimensions to admit of its running between the two lines of the sowings. An iron bar, Pas, is attached to the teeth (stage) and it shoves on earth over the roots of the young plants.
by William Hazlitt
DAvARA, a town of Cappadocia, in Taurus m., 6 geog. m. from Irenopolis. Dalak. DAVIANUM, a town of the Vocontii, Viennensis, E.S.E. of Cambonum, DAxATA, a town of Serica. DAxIMONITIs, a district of Pontus, on Iris fl., below Comana. DEA VoconTIORUM, capital ...
Containing Every Name and All that is Either Important Or Useful in the Original Work by John Lemprière
DAvARA, a hill near Mount Taurus, in Asia Minor. Davlis, a nymph, from whom the city of Daulis in Phocis, anciently called Anacris, received its name. DAU N1, a people on the eastern part of Italy.
A classical dictionary (1812)
by John Lempriere
Davara, a hill near mount Taurus, in Asia Minor. Darius, a nymph, from whom ...
A Classical Dictionary ; Containing a Full Account of All the Proper Names Mentioned in Ancient Authors ; With Tables of Coins, Weights, and Measures, in Use Among the Greeks and Romans ... (1844)
• Davara, a hill near mount Taurus, in Asia Minor. DAvus, a comic character in ...
by John LEMPRIERE (D.D.)
DAVARA, a hill near mount Taurus, in Asia NIinoL' D.w'.is,*a nymph, from whom the eiz of Daulis in Phocis, anciently called Anacrir, received its name. n- -. - f-Ps'a- l ._ -.____. si-d-d *-- 'A h_- ---,.-_* A. DA D A '
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Davara
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photo about Davara
Photo credit: campuspartymexico
Video language resources about Davara
Click on an item to play that video:
Scrabble value of D2A1V4A1R1A1
The value of this 6-letter word is 10 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of DAVARA
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Davara!
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Davara to find many related words and phrases!