On this page:
- Definition of the noun de gaulle
- Phrases with De Gaulle
- Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for De Gaulle
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for De Gaulle
- Photos about De Gaulle
- Video about De Gaulle
- Quotes about De Gaulle
- Anagrams of DE GAULLE
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun de gaulle
What does de gaulle mean as a name of something?
- French general and statesman who became very popular during World War II as the leader of the Free French forces in exile (1890-1970)
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- synonyms of de Gaulle: Charles Andre Joseph Marie de Gaulle / Charles de Gaulle / General Charles de Gaulle / General de Gaulle
- instance of: full general / general = a general officer of the highest rank; national leader / solon / statesman = a man who is a respected leader in national or international affairs
Who is De Gaulle?
De Gaulle a.k.a. Charles de Gaulle: Charles André Joseph Marie de Gaulle was the dominant military and political leader of France for much of the period from 1940 to 1969. Refusing to accept his government's armistice with the German invaders in 1940, he set up his base in London, proclaimed himself the incarnation of France, and created the Free French movement. During the war he rallied the overseas colonies, organized the Resistance from abroad, and struggled to gain full recognition from the British and Americans. A firm proponent of democracy, he became the leader of the Provisional Government of France following its liberation in 1944 and destroyed the vestiges of the authoritarian Vichy regime. He retired from office in 1946, but returned in 1958 as France verged on civil war over the Algerian crisis. As president during the new Fifth Republic, he revised the constitution to provide for presidential control of foreign and military policy, granted independence to Algeria and the African colonies, stabilized politics, and restored the nation's economic health.
- read more about Charles de Gaulle
- "De Gaulle" is a book by Bernard Ledwidge.
- "De Gaulle" is a book by Andrew Shennan.
- "De Gaulle" is a book by Edward Ashcroft.
- "De Gaulle" is a book by Jean Lacouture.
Phrases with De Gaulle
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for De Gaulle
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Robert W. Hamblin, Charles A. Peek
DE GAULLE STORY, THE ner represents a patriarchal Christian Southern culture that is founded on a number of oppositions of unexamined privilege and domination (white/black, planter/poor white, husband/wife, community/individual, ...
by The Staff of Congressional Quarterly
De Gaulle, Charles political theory on which they were based. The Declaration of Independence was based on the ideas of John Locke, who emphasized the rights of individuals. The French declaration was influenced by Jean-Jacques ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for De Gaulle
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about De Gaulle
Click on an item to view that photo:
View more pictures about Charles de Gaulle.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about De Gaulle
General Ch. de GAULLE visit CAMBODIA 1966 - Sub All Language
Clik on "CC" for Subtitle...** 16.09.1966 Travel General de Gaulle in the Kingdom of Cambodia: Angkor, canoe race, motorcade, and extracted the famous ...