The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun deceiver:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun deceiver
What does deceiver mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: deceivers
- someone who leads you to believe something that is not true
- example: It's double pleasure to deceive the deceiver.
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- synonyms of deceiver: beguiler / cheat / cheater / slicker / trickster
- more generic words: offender / wrongdoer = a person who transgresses moral or civil law
- more specific terms:
- four-flusher / bluffer = a person who tries to bluff other people
- chiseller / defrauder / chiseler / swindler / grifter / scammer / gouger = a person who swindles you by means of deception or fraud
- steerer / decoy = a beguiler who leads someone into danger
- slyboots / dodger / fox = a shifty deceptive person
- double-crosser / double-dealer / two-timer / betrayer / traitor = a person who says one thing and does another
- defalcator / embezzler / peculator = someone who violates a trust by taking (money) for his own use
- falsifier = someone who falsifies
- finagler / wangler = a deceiver who uses crafty misleading methods
- counterfeiter / forger = someone who makes copies illegally
- fortune hunter = a person who seeks wealth through marriage
- nominal head / figurehead / front man / straw man / strawman / front = a person used as a cover for some questionable activity
- dissimulator / dissembler / hypocrite / pretender / phoney / phony = a person who professes beliefs and opinions that he or she does not hold in order to conceal his or her real feelings or motives
- impersonator / imitator = someone who (fraudulently) assumes the appearance of another
- role player / pretender / imposter / impostor / shammer / pseudo / faker / fraud / pseud / fake / sham = a person who makes deceitful pretenses
- prevaricator / liar = a person who has lied or who lies repeatedly
- misleader = someone who leads astray
- mountebank / charlatan = a flamboyant deceiver
- obscurantist = a person who is deliberately vague
- sandbagger = someone who deceives you about his true nature or intent in order to take advantage of you
- two-timer = someone who deceives a lover or spouse by carrying on a sexual relationship with somebody else
- utterer = someone who circulates forged banknotes or counterfeit coins
Alternative definition of the noun deceiver
- A person who lies or deceives.
"Deceiver" is a 1997 murder mystery film. It won Best Cinematography and Best Screenplay at the 1997 Stockholm Film Festival, and the Special Jury Prize at the 1998 Cognac Police Film Festival.
- country: United States of America
- languages: English Language, Spanish Language
- directors: Jonas Pate & Josh Pate
- producer: Peter Glatzer
- executive producer: Mark Damon
- production design by John D. Kretschmer
- written by Jonas Pate & Josh Pate
- Chris Penn as Detective Phillip Braxton
- Ellen Burstyn as Mook
- Tim Roth as James Walter Wayland
- Renée Zellweger as Elizabeth
- Michael Rooker as Detective Edward Kennesaw
- Rosanna Arquette as Mrs. Kennesaw
- Michael Parks as Dr. Banyard
- Mark Damon as Wayland's Father
- Paul Smith as Wayland's Girlfriend's Father
- J. C. Quinn as Priest
- Don Winston
- casting by Laurel Smith
- cinematography by Bill Butler
- edited by Dan Lebental
- music by Harry Gregson-Williams
- costume design by Dana Allyson
- set decoration by Chuck Potter
- location: Charleston
- genres: Neo-noir, Crime Fiction, Crime Thriller, Thriller, Psychological thriller, Mystery, Drama
- tagline: There are two sides to every lie.
- rating: R (USA)
- released on (17 years ago)
- award: - Cognac Festival du Film Policier Special Jury Prize, received by Jonas Pate
"Deceiver" is a written work, book.
- author: C. J. Cherryh
- character: Bren Cameron
- genre: Science Fiction
- subject: Atevi
- released on (4 years ago)
- "Deceiver" is the debut full-length album by metalcore band The Word Alive. It was released on August 31, 2010 through Fearless Records. The title derives from a passage of lyrics within the chorus of the song "The Wretched".
- "Deceiver" is the fourth solo album by American newgrass mandolinist Chris Thile, released on Sugar Hill in 2004. It features a total of 39 instruments, all played by Thile himself. The instruments played on the album include the mandolin, mandola, bass guitar, electric guitar, violin, banjo and various percussion instruments. In 2005, the album was nominated the Grammy Award for Best Engineered Album, Non-Classical to the album's engineers, Thile and Gary Paczosa.
- genre: Progressive bluegrass
- released on (10 years ago)
- "Deceiver" is an album by Muslimgauze released in a numbered limited edition of 800 copies as part of Staalplaat's subscription-only series of Muslimgauze releases.
- "Deceiver" is a composition.
- "Deceiver" is a musical album of Harry Gregson-Williams, soundtrack.
- also known as Deceiver Soundtrack
- released in (18 years ago)
- "Deceiver" is a musical single of Munk.
- released on
- "Deceiver" is a musical album of Triage.
- released on
- "Deceiver" is a musical single of Wayne Tomsett.
- released on
- "Deceiver" is a musical EP of Deceiver.
- released in (11 years ago)
Deceiver is a musical group.
- albums: "Riding With the Reaper", "Deceiver", "Thrashing Heavy Metal", "Holov Posen Tro May Trot"
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Deceiver
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The deceiver is the guihy party, the deceived is only to be pitied, not reproached. And when Generals in America, in the very scene and centre of action, tell us, that they are unable to acquire information, on which they dare rely, is it strange, ...
Last Judgment...dead (194?)
by John R. Rice
The covetous is a thief; the deceiver is a liar; the hater is a murderer; the lustful is an adulterer! Many of us are like the Pharisees, outwardly whited sepulchers, but inwardly full of dead men's bones and all uncleanness! Many of us have ...
Spiritual Truth (2010)
by Richard D. Danso
The Deceiver is a legalist and legally rules this physical world because those in the physical world choose to sin and it is through those sins that the ...
Your Ultimate A to Z Guide to Being a Better Angler by Tom Rosenbauer
dead drift deceiver fly live in moving water are only capable of crawling along the bottom and have feeble movements when they break loose from the bottom. Eggs of fish deposited during spawning and terrestrial insects that fall into the water ...
by Edwin Arthur Watkins
A deceiver Ookukuyasimewao, n. an. A deceiver Ookukuyasimew askew, n. an. A deceiver Ookukwachehewao, n. an. A tempter Ookunachehoo, n. an. A saint Ookunatis, n. an. A saint Ookunatisew, n. an. A saint Ookunoonowoosoo, n. an.
Mandaic Dictionary (2012)
English Mandaic by Dakhil Shooshtary
Deacon Dead Deaf Deaf Deaf Deal Dealer dealing Dear Dearth Death Death Debauchery Debility Dcbility Decadence Decay Decay Decay decayed Deceit Deceit Deceit Deceitful Deceive Deceive Deceive Deceived Deceiver Deceiver ...
by John Jamieson
A deceiver. Douglas. TRUGS, adv. A mode of profane swearing, used among the vulgar, S. B. Moes.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Deceiver
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Deceiver
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Girl Interrupted Eating
Photo credit: PMT.CR
- Amethyst Deceiver
Photo credit: - C_G -
- The True Deceiver by Tove Jansson
Cover showing Tove Jansson's original artwork for the cover of The True Deceiver.
Photo credit: NYRB Classics
- Amethyst deceiver
Photo credit: diamondflamer
- Amethyst Deceiver
Photo credit: orestART
- Beaver Deceiver Removal
Removal of beaver deceiver on north shore of Dream Lake
Photo credit: LassenNPS
- Amethyst Deceiver
Photo credit: aegidian
View more pictures about Yip Deceiver.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Deceiver
Click on an item to play that video:
- The Ghost Inside - "Deceiver" Song Meaning Webisode
The meaning of "Deceiver" by The Ghost Inside from the album, Get What You Give - available now on Epitaph Records! Site...
- Deceiver Meaning
Video shows what deceiver means. A person who lies or deceives.. deceiver synonyms: Wikisaurus:deceiver. Deceiver Meaning. How to pronounce, definition ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Deceiver!
Quotes about Deceiver
Scrabble value of D2E1C3E1I1V4E1R1
The value of this 8-letter word is 14 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of DECEIVER
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Deceiver!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Deceiver to see it in context!