Deck appears in the following palindrome (phrase that reads the same backward as forward):
- To get a dastard-named spot to grade deck cats, animals I slam in a stack ceded argot tops demand rats a date got.
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb deck:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun deck
- Definition of the verb deck
- Phrases with Deck
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Deck
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Deck
- Photos about Deck
- Video language resources about Deck
- Quotes about Deck
- Scrabble value of D2E1C3K5
- Share this page
Deck is sometimes a misspelling of date.
The word deck is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun deck
What does deck mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: decks
- any of various platforms built into a vessel
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- more generic word: platform = a raised horizontal surface
- more specific terms:
- afterdeck = a deck abaft of midships
- landing deck / flight deck = the upper deck of an aircraft carrier
- foredeck = the deck between the bridge and the forecastle
- gun deck = formerly any deck other than the weather deck having cannons from end to end
- hurricane deck / hurricane roof / promenade deck / awning deck = a deck at the top of a passenger ship
- lido deck = an open deck including a swimming pool
- lower deck / third deck = the deck below the main deck
- second deck / main deck = the uppermost sheltered deck that runs the entire length of a large vessel
- fourth deck / orlop deck / orlop = the fourth or lowest deck
- quarterdeck = the stern area of a ship's upper deck
- upper deck = a higher deck
- part of: ship = a vessel that carries passengers or freight
- street name for a packet of illegal drugs
- a pack of 52 playing cards
- lexical domain: Groups - nouns denoting groupings of people or objects
- synonyms of deck: deck of cards / pack of cards
- more generic word: pack = a complete collection of similar things
- a porch that resembles the deck on a ship
Alternative definition of the noun deck
- Any flat surface that can be walked on: a balcony; a porch; a raised patio; a flat rooftop.
- A pack or set of playing cards.
- [nautical] The floorlike covering of the horizontal sections, or compartments, of a ship. Small vessels have only one deck; larger ships have two or three decks.
Specialised definition of the noun deck
Glossary of sports
a platform on which physical exercises are performed, e.g. in a gym (2006. Dictionary of Sport and Exercise Science. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
Glossary of sports / skateboard
the board (2005. Chambers Sports Factfinder. Chambers Harrap Publishers Ltd)
Glossary of sports / surfing
the top surface of the surfboard (2005. Chambers Sports Factfinder. Chambers Harrap Publishers Ltd)
Definition of the verb deck
What does deck mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: decked | decking | decks
- be beautiful to look at
- example: Holly flowers deck the halls
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being] [Verb] [Destination] Jessica sprayed the wall | Leslie staffed the store [Agent - being] [Verb] [Destination] in [Theme] Leigh swaddled the baby in blankets [Agent - being] [Verb] [Destination] with [Theme] Leslie staffed the store with employees [Theme - concrete object] [Verb] [Destination] The employees staffed the store
Verbs of Putting (with the same syntax): adorn, anoint, bandage, bathe, bestrew, bind, blanket, block, blot, bombard, carpet, choke, cloak, clog, clutter, coat, contaminate, cover, dam, dapple, decorate, deluge, dirty, disguise, dot, douse, drench, edge, embellish, emblazon, encircle, encrust, endow, enrich, entangle, face, festoon, fill, fleck, flood, frame, garland, garnish, gild, grace, imbue, impregnate, infect, inject, inlay, interlace, interlard, interleave, intersperse, interweave, inundate, lard, lash, line, litter, mask, mottle, ornament, pad, panel, pave, plate, plug, replenish, riddle, ring, ripple, robe, saturate, season, shroud, smother, soak, soil, speckle, splotch, spot, staff, stipple, stop up, stud, suffuse, sully, surround, swaddle, swathe, taint, tile, trim, veil, vein.
- lexical domain: Stative - verbs of being, having, spatial relations
- synonyms of deck: adorn / beautify / decorate / embellish / grace
- more generic word: be = have the quality of being
- more specific word: ornament = be an ornament to
- examples: deck the halls with holly | They deck the halls with holly
- syntax: the same syntax as for the sense 1
- lexical domain: Creation - verbs of sewing, baking, painting, performing
- synonyms of deck: bedeck / bedight
- more generic words: adorn / beautify / decorate / embellish / grace / ornament = make more attractive by adding ornament, colour, etc.
- more specific word: plume = deck with a plume
- knock down with force
Deck a.k.a. DeckDisc is a Brazilian record company that was founded in 1998.
- read more about DeckDisc
- Deck is a fictional character from the 2003 film Marines.
- Deck is a fictional character from the 2008 crime, drama, thriller film, Killshot.
- Deck is a fictional character from the 2008 film Subtle Seduction.
- Deck: A deck is a permanent covering over a compartment or a hull of a ship. On a boat or ship, the primary or upper deck is the horizontal structure which forms the 'roof' for the hull, which both strengthens the hull and serves as the primary working surface. Vessels often have more than one level both within the hull and in the superstructure above the primary deck which are similar to the floors of a multi-storey building, and which are also referred to as decks, as are specific compartments and decks built over specific areas of the superstructure.
- Deck: In architecture, a deck is a flat surface capable of supporting weight, similar to a floor, but typically constructed outdoors, often elevated from the ground, and usually connected to a building. The term is a generalization of decks as found on ships.
- Deck: A bridge deck or road bed is the roadway, or the pedestrian walkway, surface of a bridge. It is not to be confused with any deck of a ship. The deck may be of concrete,wood which in turn may be covered with asphalt concrete or other pavement. The concrete deck may be an integral part of the bridge structure or it may be supported with I-beams or steel girders. The deck may also be of wood, or open steel grating.
Phrases with Deck
Phrases starting with the word Deck:
Phrases ending with the word Deck:
- On Deck
- to deck
- gun deck
- Pec Deck
- sun deck
- Top Deck
- bell deck
- boat deck
- Cold deck
- lido deck
- main deck
- poop deck
- tape deck
- Well deck
- cargo deck
- Cloud Deck
View more phrases with the word Deck in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Deck
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Scientific American (1898)
Above the shade deck is the commander's bridge, where the telegraph for the engineers, the compass and the steering apparatus are arranged. One who has never seen a great ocean steamer can scarcely conceive of the degree of luxury ...
No. 1- no. 50 (1842)
by William Chambers, Robert Chambers
The forecastle is appropriated to the best or ablebodied seamen, the quarter- deck is the proper situation for the officers, and in the poop are stationed themarines. The quarter-deck is a privileged spot, and as, by a fiction, the sovereign is ...
Simply Tarot (2005)
by Leanna Greenaway
" The surprising answer: the Tarot deck is the best possible way to find out! Follow this guide and uncover your gifts, while you explore the mysteries of the Tarot through the clear directions and explanations.
Dangerous Waters (2003)
by John Burnett
9Poop deck is a common nautical term with an uncertain origin. The Oxford English Dictionary...
Murray Darling Paddleboats (2005)
by Peter Plowman
The tall twin smokestacks are for effect only, while the ornate wheelhouse on the top deck is a dummy, and both these...
A Popular Encyclopædia by William Chambers, Robert Chambers
The forecastle is appropriated to the best or able-bodied seamen, the quarter- deck is the proper situation for the officers, and in the poop are stationed the marines. The quarter-deck is a privileged spot, and as, by a fiction, the sovereign is ...
The Oriental Annual (1837)
Or, Scenes in India by Hobart Caunter, Thomas Bacon
The deck is a floor of bamboos, placed close together, and united by cords of coir , a description of rope manufactured from the husk of the cocoa-nut. It is sometimes interlaced with strips of the same cane. The cabin beneath is roofed in a ...
by Richard H. Enns, George C. McGuire
The bridge deck is a steel truss of 48, 000 kg weight, Figure 2.16: Suspension bridge. supported by six pairs of vertical cables spaced 9 m apart and each carrying an equal amount of the weight. The two central pairs of vertical cables are 2 m ...
Encyclopaedia Metropolitana; Or, Universal Dictionary of Knowledge on an Original Plan Comprising the Twofold Advantage of a Philosophical and an Alphabetical Arrangement, with Appropriate Engravings Edited by Edward Smedley, Hugh James Rose, Henry John Rose (1845)
Mixed sciences, vol. 4
mason,“ For the gun deck about .
Originally Published as ÒFrom Keel to TruckÓ by Captain Heinrich Paasch
Dead-flat Dead-light Dead-rising Dead-wood Dead-work * Deck d'équipage; Poste. Varangue. Guirlande arrière, Fourcat. Chandelier. Courbure. Mannschaftraum; Logis. Cap de mouton. Die Krümmung des Partie-maîtresse d' un navire.
by V.S. Matyushenkov
deck 1. esp.Am., Can. /Br.,Aus. pack/ a set ofplaying cards: The black detectives rakedin the pot and shuffled the deck. R.J. Randisi., M. Wallace. 2. Am., Aus. /esp. Br. terrace/ roofless raised wooden ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Deck
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Deck
Click on an item to view that photo:
This was un-decked a month ago, it's repaired now.
Photo credit: Beige Alert
Photo credit: rossgram
Wooden deck in Baie des Anges near Nice
Photo credit: briandeadly
Photo credit: Will Folsom
Photo credit: YourCastlesDecor
Photo credit: mikecogh
Photo credit: Field Outdoor Spaces
- On the deck
Photo credit: Infomastern
- Composite Deck
Replaced existing deck with new composite decking. Replaced railing with composite railing.
Photo credit: ntm1909
- Deck Construction
St. Louis, Missouri
Photo credit: ChrisYunker
- Wood Deck
Treated wood deck with handicap ramp
Photo credit: ntm1909
- Wood Deck
New Screen room on existing deck.
Added new deck with treated lumber
Photo credit: ntm1909
- Composite Deck
Replaced existing deck with new composite decking. Replaced railing with vinyl railing.
Photo credit: ntm1909
- Deck Panorama
Photo credit: Elaine with Grey Cats
- Deck Construction
St. Louis, Missouri
Photo credit: ChrisYunker
- DECK HD
Photo credit: W.A.K.I PICTURES
- Front deck
Photo credit: Drregor
- Backyard from Deck
Renovated backyard from the deck view; don't know whose sunglasses those are, if you're missin' them let us know.
Photo credit: mikeatqazam
- Itami viewing deck
What all airport viewing should be like!
The deck at Osaka-Itami...complete with garden centre.11/11/08.
Photo credit: Alec BHX/KKC
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Deck
Click on an item to play that video:
- Shaddoll deck tutorial, explanation, guide, tech choices and deck profile!
0:45 Introduction 03:18 Part 1, monster descriptions, effects. 14:35 Part 2, deck profiles, choices. 16:05 Part 3, tech choices, card ideas, side deck options. 31:47 ...
- Tech Deck Terminology | Fingerboarding
Get your Hands on these Fingerboard Products: Hey! It's a Fingerboard Frenzy! VHS Video...
- Yugioh Best Blackwing OTK DECK Profile!!! Combos and Explanation!! July 2015!!
Hey guys hope you enjoyed this deck profile Ive been working on. It shows how crazy and strong blackwings can get when useing Blackwing sirrocco true ...
- Linkedin Marketer PRO 2.53 New Lead Deck explanation
This is the explanation for the new version of Linkedin Marketer. Dan explains us how this works and have saved us from the past layout that was dividing the ...
- [New Year] Underground CK Cup 2015. Dai's Deck Explanation of the "Plant Queen!" Vol. 11, 2015
[New Year] Underground CK Cup 2015. Dai's Deck Explanation of the "Plant Queen!" Vol. 11, 2015 The Plant Queen deck Dai used in the Underground CK will ...
- Haiku Deck Vocabulary Tutorial
This video shows how students can use their vocabulary words to create a presentation using Haiku Deck. Haiku Deck uses Creative Commons images to build ...
- Oracle Deck Explanation
- Spellweaver TCG - Red Rush Deck (Deck Explanation)
Red (rage) rush deck explained: 2x Lizard Barbarian 4x Goblin Warrior 2x Fia, Dragon Daughter 2x Spirits Walker 2x Goblin Fireworker 4x Gibo and Roni 2x ...
- Karakuri Deck Explanation
- Saffira Deck Profile (with Explanation)
Jack with another uncommon deck Don't worry guys, he didn't bend his card.
- Juan Tamariz' Mnemonica to New Deck Order Explanation.
This is an explanation of how to get from Juan Tamariz' mnemonica stack into stay stack, and finally into new deck order. Any method of dealing 9 cards into four ...
- Phantom Deck Explanation
- Magic Card Trick Deck Arrangements : Explanation of the Red & Black Separation Card Trick
See an explanation of the Red and Black Separation in this free card magic video.
- Explanation On The Deck Building Process!!!
- Anki Fluent Forever vocabulary deck builder: Cards creation demo
This is an example of how to build anki cards for learning vocabulary of a language as suggested by Gabriel Wyner in it's Fluent Forever method using the Fluent ...
- Jurrac Deck Explanation
- Stripper Deck explanation
You can get this Stripper deck from a magic shop or if you are going to Disney Land California you get this stripper with the Gambler's Marked Deck Book ...
- [New Year] Underground CK CUP 2015 JC Uesaka's "Des Gardius" Deck Explanation! Vol. 8, 2015
[New Year] Underground CK CUP 2015 JC Uesaka's "Des Gardius" Deck Explanation! Vol. 8, 2015 Introduction of the Players...
- Lightsworn Infernoids Deck Profile w/ Effect Explanation Jan. 2015
- Free Magic Card Tricks: Full Deck Arrangements : Explanation of the Poker Magic Card Trick
See an explanation of the Poker Trick in this free card magic video. Expert: Malik Haddadi...
- EDH Douchebag Deck Tek :: Mono-Blue Control :: Deck Description
EDH Douchebag Deck Tek, Mono-Blue Control, Deck Description by wrongwaygoback.tv.
- Oracle Deck Review: The Secret Language of Animals
A review of The Secret Language of Animals oracle deck, by Chip Richards. Beautiful artwork and highly recommended!
- Product Review: The Hypnotic Language Shortcut System Card Deck
Get Your Hypnotic Language Shortcut System Card Deck here...
- Hearthstone - Featured Deck: Reynad's Tempo Mage (from ESL Legendary Series Season 2 LAN)
If you liked this video, please show your support by clicking the "Thumbs Up" button!
- Best Gimmick puppet deck (check description for deck list)
Gorz the emissary of Darkness card trooper x2 (for Necro doll to be in grave or for machinas) gearspring spirit x3 (special summons when machine monster in ...
- Stereo deck and aws description
Recorded on June 18, 2011 using a Flip Video camera.
- EDH Douchebag Deck Tek :: Goblin Down The Ooze :: Deck Description
EDH Douchebag Deck Tek, Goblin Down The Ooze Deck Description by wrongwaygoback.tv.
See also the pronunciation examples of Deck!
Quotes about Deck
When he stood up, it was a very complicated motion. If the deck chairs on the Ship to the Sea of Night had opened up, they would have done so like that. It was like he was unfolding himself forever. (Neil Gaiman)
more quotes about deck...
Scrabble value of D2E1C3K5
The value of this 4-letter word is 11 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Deck to see it in context!