The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun decoration:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun decoration
- Phrases with Decoration
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Decoration
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Decoration
- Photos about Decoration
- Video language resources about Decoration
- Quotes about Decoration
- Scrabble value of D2E1C3O1R1A1T1I1O1N1
- Anagrams of DECORATION
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun decoration
What does decoration mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: decorations
- something used to beautify
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- synonyms of decoration: ornament / ornamentation
- more generic words: artefact / artifact = a man-made object taken as a whole
- more specific terms:
- adornment = a decoration of color or interest that is added to relieve plainness
- arabesque = an ornament that interlaces simulated foliage in an intricate design
- architectural ornament = something added to a building to improve its appearance
- beadwork / beading = ornamentation with beads
- bow = a decorative interlacing of ribbons
- brass = an ornament or utensil made of brass
- centerpiece / centrepiece = something placed at the center of something else
- Christmas tree = an ornamented evergreen used as a Christmas decoration
- cockade = an ornament (such as a knot of ribbon or a rosette) usually worn on the hat
- pattern / design / figure = a decorative or artistic work
- embellishment = a superfluous ornament
- finial = an ornament at the top of a spire or gable
- floral arrangement / flower arrangement = a decorative arrangement of flowers
- gimcrackery / falderol / folderal / gimcrack / nonsense / trumpery / frill = ornamental objects of no great value
- gargoyle = an ornament consisting of a grotesquely carved figure of a person or animal
- garnish = any decoration added as a trimming or adornment
- graffiti / graffito = a rude decoration inscribed on rocks or walls
- wall hanging / hanging = decoration that is hung (as a tapestry) on a wall or over a window
- hood ornament = an ornament on the front of the hood of a car emblematic of the manufacturer
- encrustation / incrustation = a decorative coating of contrasting material that is applied to a surface as an inlay or overlay
- inlay = a decoration made by fitting pieces of wood into prepared slots in a surface
- interior decoration / decor = decoration consisting of the layout and furnishings of a livable interior
- pommel / knob = an ornament in the shape of a ball on the hilt of a sword or dagger
- lunula = a crescent-shaped metal ornament of the Bronze Age
- moulding / molding = a decorative strip used for ornamentation or finishing
- nailhead = something resembling the head of a nail that is used as an ornamental device
- necklet = decoration worn about the neck (fur piece or tight necklace) as an ornament
- overlay = a layer of decorative material (such as gold leaf or wood veneer) applied over a surface
- rosemaling = a Scandinavian style of carved or painted decoration (as on furniture or walls or dinnerware) consisting of floral motifs
- set decoration = a decoration used as part of the set of a theatrical or movie production
- sgraffito = a ceramic or mural decoration made by scratching off a surface layer to reveal the ground
- spiral / volute = ornament consisting of a curve on a plane that winds around a center with an increasing distance from the center
- sprig = an ornament that resembles a spray of leaves or flowers
- rivet / stud = ornament consisting of a circular rounded protuberance
- tail fin / tailfin / fin = one of a pair of decorations projecting above the rear fenders of an automobile
- tinsel = a showy decoration that is basically valueless
- tracery = decoration consisting of an open pattern of interlacing ribs
- wind chime / wind bell = a decorative arrangement of pieces of metal or glass or pottery that hang together loosely so the wind can cause them to tinkle
- garnish = something (such as parsley) added to a dish for flavor or decoration
- an award for winning a championship or commemorating some other event
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- synonyms of decoration: laurel wreath / medal / medallion / palm / ribbon
- more generic words: accolade / award / honor / honour / laurels = a tangible symbol signifying approval or distinction
- more specific terms:
- Congressional Medal of Honor / Medal of Honor = the highest U.S. military decoration awarded for bravery and valor in action `above and beyond the call of duty'
- Distinguished Service Medal = a United States military decoration for meritorious service in wartime duty of great responsibility
- Distinguished Service Cross = a United States Army decoration for extraordinary heroism against an armed enemy
- Navy Cross = a United States Navy decoration for extraordinary heroism against an armed enemy
- Distinguished Flying Cross = a United States Air Force decoration for heroism while participating in an aerial flight
- Air Medal = a United States Air Force decoration for meritorious achievement while participating in an aerial flight
- Silver Star Medal / Silver Star = a United States military decoration for gallantry in action
- Bronze Star Medal / Bronze Star = a United States military decoration awarded for meritorious service
- Order of the Purple Heart / Purple Heart = a United States military decoration awarded to any member of the armed forces who is wounded in action
- Oak Leaf Cluster = a United States military decoration consisting of bronze or silver oak leaves and acorns awarded to anyone who has won a given medal before
- Victoria Cross = a British military decoration for gallantry
- Distinguished Conduct Medal = a British military decoration for distinguished conduct in the field
- Distinguished Service Order = a British military decoration for special service in action
- Croix de Guerre = a French military decoration for gallantry
- Medaille Militaire = a French military decoration
- the act of decorating something (in the hope of making it more attractive)
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- more generic term: change of state = the act of changing something into something different in essential characteristics
- more specific terms:
- adornment = the action of decorating yourself with something colorful and interesting
- embellishment / ornamentation = the act of adding extraneous decorations to something
- window dressing = the decoration of shop windows
- trimming = the act of adding decoration
- tessellation = the act of adorning with mosaic
- figuration = decorating with a design
- tattoo = the practice of making a design on the skin by pricking and staining
- tittivation / titivation = sprucing up
- marking = the act of making a visible mark on a surface
Alternative definition of the noun decoration
- The act of adorning, embellishing, or honoring; ornamentation.
- That which adorns, enriches, or beautifies; something added by way of embellishment; ornament.
- Specifically, any mark of honor to be worn upon the person, as a medal, cross, or ribbon of an order of knighthood, bestowed for services in war, great achievements in literature, art, etc.
Decoration is a musical group.
- album: "Don't Disappoint Me Now"
"Decoration" is an artwork by Roger Kemp.
Decoration is a software application for applying effects to digital photos. Decoration contains more than 100 effects and is specialized in applying effects to photo albums.
- genre: Image editing
- official website: decoration.japplis.com
Phrases with Decoration
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Decoration
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Frank Moore Colby, Talcott Williams
The decoration is the iron crown of Lombardy under the double-headed Austrian eagle bearing upon its breast a shield of blue enamel with...
The Ceramic Monthly (1895)
China may be decorated by two very distinct processes; in the strong or furnace The strong fire decoration or underglaze decoration is that which is obtained while the paste acquires the qualities which characterizes it, that is to say, the ...
A Documentary History, from 1000 to 1810 by Liane Lefaivre, Alexander Tzonis
Decoration is the most effective means of impressing distinctive character upon buildings; and it is also the most effective means of muddling everything, and failing to give character, if the two following principles are lost from view. One is to ...
Handbook of Ornament (2012)
by Franz Sales Meyer
The simplest decoration is the many-rayed star, .Which is termed the Uraniscus, in the cofi'e1's or Greek...
by Robert Willis
The archway is a semicircular compound arch of three chamfered arches, with nookshafts; and the extramural decoration is a gable resting on face shafts, which have lion-bases. It is plain in this example that the three parts of the composition ...
Be a Champion of Youth (2007)
Standing With, By, and for Young People by Maggie Wilson McCarty, Robert J. McCarty
Decoration is the second rung of the ladder and can happen when the role of youth is geared toward prompting an emotional response from the audience. For example, decoration occurs when adults ask young people to show up at an event ...
Christmas Collectables (2009)
by Tracy Martin, Christopher Biggins
You can always tell that it is a Christopher Radko ornament because the decoration is a lot heavier and is quite solid to touch as opposed to other decoration makers who tend to use lower grade glass which is not as strong and is easily ...
The rich natural decoration is an heritage from ...
by Neal French
decoration The chapter of this book devoted to decoration consists of a collection of illustrations showing the many effects obtainable by decorating at the various stages of making a pot. This is not a "how to do it" ...
Decoration, Graffito. See Graffito decoration.
by William S. Lyon
Pottery decoration from Santo Domingo, New Mexico [Southwest Museum specimen] Design on painted pottery, Homolobi Ruin No. 1, Arizona [Fewkes 1904] Painted snake design on pottery, ...
by American Library Association
See also Bric-a-brac ; Candlesticks ; Carpets ; Decoration and ornament ; Fancy work ; Furniture ; Paper-hanging ; Upholstery ; Wall decoration. Refer from Architecture, domestic ; Arts, fine ; Carpets ; Decoration and ornament ; Domestic ...
by Jennifer D. Milam
INTERIOR DECORATION. The Rococo emerged within French interior decoration around 1700 as a novel type of ornamentation. It spread quickly throughout Europe and to Great Britain, largely through the increased movement of artists, ...
100 Plates, Including 75 in Full Color by H. Dolmetsch
Keystone decoration from the cathedral at Naumburg. 4. Projecting bracket of a capital from the church at Gelnhausen. 5. Projecting bracket of a capital of French origin. 6. Finial from Notredame at Paris. 7. Crocket of a finial from Notre dame, ...
Common Names, Scientific Names, Eponyms, Synonyms, and Etymology by Umberto Quattrocchi
Epacridaceae Origins: From the Greek kosmos "ornament, decoration, form," kos- meo "to rule, ...
by Diagram Group
inlaying The decoration of an object with fine materials set into its surface. macramé Ornamental work created by weaving and knotting coarse thread into patterns. marquetry Colored or varnished woods, ...
Containing Useful Facts to Supply the Daily Need of All Classes of People by Richard Linthicum
Washington's Birthday , Decoration Day (May 30), Fourth of July, Labor Day (the first Monday in September), General, State, County and City Election Days, Thanksgiving Day, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Decoration
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Decoration
Click on an item to view that photo:
A decoration cast into the concrete on the front of a building in Monrovia, Liberia.
Photo credit: Mark Fischer
Photo credit: bencrowe
Photo credit: Iain Farrell
Probably from one of the German markets in Edinburgh, Leeds or Manchester, or from the christmas shop in Bruges.
Photo credit: chatirygirl
Large Christmas Decorations in Covent Garden
Photo credit: oatsy40
Photo credit: sokolovs
- Christmas decoration
Photo credit: Jonas B
- Wedding Decoration
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
Photo credit: teodorpk
- For decoration
Photo credit: Infomastern
- Tent Decoration
Spangly decoration in amongst flowers
Photo credit: county marquees
- Tree decoration
Photo credit: dierken
View more pictures about Table Decoration.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Decoration
Click on an item to play that video:
- Decoration Meaning
Video shows what decoration means. The act of adorning, embellishing, or honoring; ornamentation.. That which adorns, enriches, or beautifies; something ...
- Meaning of Take Your Decoration to Every Mosque
Dec 21, 2013 KL, Malaysia Shaykh Hisham kabbani Time is not real. Do not underestimate anyone, you do not know their value to Allah. A holy man in the ...
- Interior decoration Meaning
Video shows what interior decoration means. The decoration of the inside homes and buildings, such as the decor and furnishings.. Interior decoration Meaning.
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = Miscellaneous decoration items
- The Longest Language Christmas Decoration Attempt
- Nail Art 3D Slice Golden Christmas Sticker Design Decoration Wheel - Product Description
- The Longest Language Christmas Decoration Attempt Video 3 TVAM Malta
- Sa Kaeo SDA English Language School Room Decoration
Teacher Chris Lane.
- The Longest Language Christmas Decoration - video 5 NET TV Malta
- The Longest Language Christmas Decoration -Video 4 TVM NEWS
- Description of house decoration
- The Longest Language Christmas Decoration Attempt - VIDEO 2
- The Y.K. Dictionary - Decoration
View more videos about Table Decoration.
See also the pronunciation examples of Decoration!
Quotes about Decoration
Any new venture goes through the following stages: enthusiasm, complication, disillusionment, search for the guilty, punishment of the innocent, and decoration of those who did nothing.
more quotes about decoration...
Scrabble value of D2E1C3O1R1A1T1I1O1N1
The value of this 10-letter word is 13 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of DECORATION
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Decoration!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Decoration to see it in context!