The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun decoration:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun decoration
- Phrases with Decoration
- Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Decoration
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Decoration
- Photos about Decoration
- Video language resources about Decoration
- Quotes about Decoration
- Scrabble value of D2E1C3O1R1A1T1I1O1N1
- Anagrams of DECORATION
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun decoration
What does decoration mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: decorations
- something used to beautify
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- synonyms of decoration: ornament / ornamentation
- more generic words: artefact / artifact = a man-made object taken as a whole
- more specific terms:
- adornment = a decoration of color or interest that is added to relieve plainness
- arabesque = an ornament that interlaces simulated foliage in an intricate design
- architectural ornament = something added to a building to improve its appearance
- beadwork / beading = ornamentation with beads
- bow = a decorative interlacing of ribbons
- brass = an ornament or utensil made of brass
- centerpiece / centrepiece = something placed at the center of something else
- Christmas tree = an ornamented evergreen used as a Christmas decoration
- cockade = an ornament (such as a knot of ribbon or a rosette) usually worn on the hat
- pattern / design / figure = a decorative or artistic work
- embellishment = a superfluous ornament
- finial = an ornament at the top of a spire or gable
- floral arrangement / flower arrangement = a decorative arrangement of flowers
- gimcrackery / falderol / folderal / gimcrack / nonsense / trumpery / frill = ornamental objects of no great value
- gargoyle = an ornament consisting of a grotesquely carved figure of a person or animal
- garnish = any decoration added as a trimming or adornment
- graffiti / graffito = a rude decoration inscribed on rocks or walls
- wall hanging / hanging = decoration that is hung (as a tapestry) on a wall or over a window
- hood ornament = an ornament on the front of the hood of a car emblematic of the manufacturer
- encrustation / incrustation = a decorative coating of contrasting material that is applied to a surface as an inlay or overlay
- inlay = a decoration made by fitting pieces of wood into prepared slots in a surface
- interior decoration / decor = decoration consisting of the layout and furnishings of a livable interior
- pommel / knob = an ornament in the shape of a ball on the hilt of a sword or dagger
- lunula = a crescent-shaped metal ornament of the Bronze Age
- moulding / molding = a decorative strip used for ornamentation or finishing
- nailhead = something resembling the head of a nail that is used as an ornamental device
- necklet = decoration worn about the neck (fur piece or tight necklace) as an ornament
- overlay = a layer of decorative material (such as gold leaf or wood veneer) applied over a surface
- rosemaling = a Scandinavian style of carved or painted decoration (as on furniture or walls or dinnerware) consisting of floral motifs
- set decoration = a decoration used as part of the set of a theatrical or movie production
- sgraffito = a ceramic or mural decoration made by scratching off a surface layer to reveal the ground
- spiral / volute = ornament consisting of a curve on a plane that winds around a center with an increasing distance from the center
- sprig = an ornament that resembles a spray of leaves or flowers
- rivet / stud = ornament consisting of a circular rounded protuberance
- tail fin / tailfin / fin = one of a pair of decorations projecting above the rear fenders of an automobile
- tinsel = a showy decoration that is basically valueless
- tracery = decoration consisting of an open pattern of interlacing ribs
- wind chime / wind bell = a decorative arrangement of pieces of metal or glass or pottery that hang together loosely so the wind can cause them to tinkle
- garnish = something (such as parsley) added to a dish for flavor or decoration
- an award for winning a championship or commemorating some other event
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- synonyms of decoration: laurel wreath / medal / medallion / palm / ribbon
- more generic words: accolade / award / honor / honour / laurels = a tangible symbol signifying approval or distinction
- more specific terms:
- Congressional Medal of Honor / Medal of Honor = the highest U.S. military decoration awarded for bravery and valor in action `above and beyond the call of duty'
- Distinguished Service Medal = a United States military decoration for meritorious service in wartime duty of great responsibility
- Distinguished Service Cross = a United States Army decoration for extraordinary heroism against an armed enemy
- Navy Cross = a United States Navy decoration for extraordinary heroism against an armed enemy
- Distinguished Flying Cross = a United States Air Force decoration for heroism while participating in an aerial flight
- Air Medal = a United States Air Force decoration for meritorious achievement while participating in an aerial flight
- Silver Star Medal / Silver Star = a United States military decoration for gallantry in action
- Bronze Star Medal / Bronze Star = a United States military decoration awarded for meritorious service
- Order of the Purple Heart / Purple Heart = a United States military decoration awarded to any member of the armed forces who is wounded in action
- Oak Leaf Cluster = a United States military decoration consisting of bronze or silver oak leaves and acorns awarded to anyone who has won a given medal before
- Victoria Cross = a British military decoration for gallantry
- Distinguished Conduct Medal = a British military decoration for distinguished conduct in the field
- Distinguished Service Order = a British military decoration for special service in action
- Croix de Guerre = a French military decoration for gallantry
- Medaille Militaire = a French military decoration
- the act of decorating something (in the hope of making it more attractive)
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- more generic term: change of state = the act of changing something into something different in essential characteristics
- more specific terms:
- adornment = the action of decorating yourself with something colorful and interesting
- embellishment / ornamentation = the act of adding extraneous decorations to something
- window dressing = the decoration of shop windows
- trimming = the act of adding decoration
- tessellation = the act of adorning with mosaic
- figuration = decorating with a design
- tattoo = the practice of making a design on the skin by pricking and staining
- tittivation / titivation = sprucing up
- marking = the act of making a visible mark on a surface
Alternative definition of the noun decoration
- The act of adorning, embellishing, or honoring; ornamentation.
- That which adorns, enriches, or beautifies; something added by way of embellishment; ornament.
- Specifically, any mark of honor to be worn upon the person, as a medal, cross, or ribbon of an order of knighthood, bestowed for services in war, great achievements in literature, art, etc.
Decoration is a musical group.
- album: "Don't Disappoint Me Now"
"Decoration" is an artwork by Roger Kemp.
Decoration is a software application for applying effects to digital photos. Decoration contains more than 100 effects and is specialized in applying effects to photo albums.
- genre: Image editing
- official website: decoration.japplis.com
Phrases with Decoration
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Decoration
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
A Documentary History, from 1000 to 1810 by Liane Lefaivre, Alexander Tzonis
Decoration is the most effective means of impressing distinctive character upon buildings; and it is also the most effective means of muddling everything, and failing to give character, if the two following principles are lost from view. One is to ...
Handbook of Ornament (1957)
by Franz Sales Meyer
The simplest decoration is the many-rayed star, which is termed the Uraniscus, in the coffers or Greek ceilings (comp. Plate 151, fig. 1). The centre of the figure is generally accentuated by the addition of a rosette, and the direction of growth, ...
Design, Management and Maintenance of Healthcare Premises by Liz Haggard, Sarah Hosking
Decoration is a visual quality rather than a category of objects (Fig. 7.1). It often...
Decoration is an essential ingredient of the traditional popular arts inherent in fairgrounds, pub signs, caravans, circuses and the folk arts of any nation. It is also ...
Be a Champion of Youth (2007)
Standing With, By, and for Young People by Maggie Wilson McCarty, Robert J. McCarty
Decoration is the second rung of the ladder and can happen when the role of youth is geared toward prompting an emotional response from the audience. For example, decoration occurs when adults ask young people to show up at an event ...
Christmas Collectables (2009)
by Tracy Martin, Christopher Biggins
You can always tell that it is a Christopher Radko ornament because the decoration is a lot heavier and is quite solid to touch as opposed to other decoration makers who tend to use lower grade glass which is not as strong and is easily ...
The rich natural decoration is an heritage from ...
by Herbert Joseph Spinden
The decoration is a repeated motive. The head of the feathered serpent projects outward from the terrace walls and from the balustrade of the stairway, while the body is in low relief. The tail of the serpent has a rattle, and the body is covered ...
by Katharine Reynolds Brown
Such surface decoration is an integral part of the traditional Frankish bow fibula.
by Dr. Mahendra Kumar Padhy
and precise blinds for room decoration is a dream of every housewife. Nobody in the country, however, choose to be outlandish for the sake of cosy-comfort in export-oriented markets, when there is an abundance of such finery and tapestry ...
by Michel Delon
Decoration. Découpage. See Silhouettes and Découpage Deism Demography 1.5 14 2...
decoration of the home was an important aesthetic concern throughout the 18th century. The first decades of the century were marked by the growing ...
The decoration is a golden, white enamelled Maltese cross, ...
by Marc H.V. van Regenmortel, Brian W.J. Mahy
Immunoelectron Microscopical Decoration Tests In the immunoelectron microscopical decoration test (Figures 2(c), 4(c), and 4(d)), the reaction between free antibodies and viruses which have been immobilized on electron microscope ...
Vol 7: Foodways: Easyread Large Bold Edition by John T. Edge
The name Decoration Day was thought to be too super- cial to convey the idea of remembrance of America's fallen soldiers, so it was changed to Memorial Day. In the South, however, the name Decoration Day clung to the holiday well into the ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Decoration
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Decoration
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: bencrowe
Photo credit: erix!
Quite intricate actually.
Photo credit: Abi Skipp
Photo credit: zimpenfish
Photo credit: sokolovs
A decoration cast into the concrete on the front of a building in Monrovia, Liberia.
Photo credit: Mark Fischer
Photo credit: Jori Samonen
Photo credit: franklin_hunting
Photo credit: franklin_hunting
Photo credit: Jeroen Sangers
Photo credit: Iain Farrell
Photo credit: sk8geek
Probably from one of the German markets in Edinburgh, Leeds or Manchester, or from the christmas shop in Bruges.
Photo credit: chatirygirl
Photo credit: sk8geek
Large Christmas Decorations in Covent Garden
Photo credit: oatsy40
Photo credit: sokolovs
- For decoration
Photo credit: Infomastern
- Wedding Decoration
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
Photo credit: teodorpk
- Christmas decoration
Photo credit: Jonas B
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Decoration
Click on an item to play that video:
- Decoration Meaning
Video shows what decoration means. The act of adorning, embellishing, or honoring; ornamentation.. That which adorns, enriches, or beautifies; something ...
- Meaning of Take Your Decoration to Every Mosque
Dec 21, 2013 KL, Malaysia Shaykh Hisham kabbani Time is not real. Do not underestimate anyone, you do not know their value to Allah. A holy man in the ...
- Interior decoration Meaning
Video shows what interior decoration means. The decoration of the inside homes and buildings, such as the decor and furnishings.. Interior decoration Meaning.
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = Miscellaneous decoration items
- The Longest Language Christmas Decoration Attempt
- Nail Art 3D Slice Golden Christmas Sticker Design Decoration Wheel - Product Description
- The Longest Language Christmas Decoration Attempt Video 3 TVAM Malta
- Sa Kaeo SDA English Language School Room Decoration
Teacher Chris Lane.
- The Longest Language Christmas Decoration - video 5 NET TV Malta
- The Longest Language Christmas Decoration -Video 4 TVM NEWS
- Description of house decoration
- The Longest Language Christmas Decoration Attempt - VIDEO 2
- The Y.K. Dictionary - Decoration
View more videos about Table Decoration.
See also the pronunciation examples of Decoration!
Quotes about Decoration
Any new venture goes through the following stages: enthusiasm, complication, disillusionment, search for the guilty, punishment of the innocent, and decoration of those who did nothing.
more quotes about decoration...
Scrabble value of D2E1C3O1R1A1T1I1O1N1
The value of this 10-letter word is 13 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of DECORATION
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Decoration!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Decoration to see it in context!