Define appears in many palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- Define men as sane men I fed.
- Define vocality ’til a coven I fed.
- Define men I pull, as any nasal lupine men I fed.
On this page:
- Definition of the verb define
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Define
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Define
- Usage statistics about define
- Photos about Define
- Video language resources about Define
- Quotes about Define
- Scrabble value of D2E1F4I1N1E1
- Anagrams of DEFINE
- Share this page
Define is sometimes a misspelling of divine.
The word define and its family (definable, defined, defines, defining, definition, definitions, redefine, redefined, redefines, redefining, undefined) are included in the Academic Word List by Dr. Averil Coxhead, which contains the 570 most frequent word families used in academic texts from a variety of subject areas, of interest for students that learn the words most needed to study at tertiary institutions.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the verb define
What does define mean as a doing word?
Define is one of the top 1000 most common verbs in the English language.
verb - inflections: defined | defining | defines
- determine the essential quality of
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] I presented a solution [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] to [Recipient] I presented a solution to him [Theme] [Verb] [Oblique, reflexive] A solution presented itself yesterday
Verbs of Reflexive Appearance (with the same syntax): announce, assert, declare, exhibit, expose, express, flaunt, form, intrude, manifest, offer, pose, present, proffer, propose, recommend, reveal, shape, show, suggest.
- lexical domain: Stative - verbs of being, having, spatial relations
- synonyms of define: delimit / delimitate / delineate / specify
- more generic word: be = have the quality of being
- more specific words:
- give a definition for the meaning of a word
- determine the nature of
- show the form or outline of
- decide upon or fix definitely
- lexical domain: Communication - verbs of telling, asking, ordering, singing
- synonyms of define: determine / fix / limit / set / specify
- more generic terms: choose / pick out / select / take = pick out, select, or choose from a number of alternatives
- more specific words:
Alternative definition of the verb define
- To determine.
- To express the essential nature of something.
- To state the meaning of a word or word group or a sign or symbol.
- To describe, explain, or make definite and clear.
- To demark sharply the outlines or limits of an area or concept.
"Define" is a book written by Mehmet Rauf.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Define
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Simply Scheme (1999)
Introducing Computer Science by Brian Harvey, Matthew Wright
Special Forms Define is a special form, an exception to the evaluation rule we've been going on about.* Usually, an expression represents a procedure invocation, so the general rule is that Scheme first evaluates all the subexpressions, and ...
But to define means to classify, that is, to situate an idea in relation to other ideas that have been previously defined. Now the science of religions has not yet applied itself sufficiently to produce a methodical classification of the facts with which ...
What Animals Want (2004)
Expertise and Advocacy in Laboratory Animal Welfare Policy by Larry Carbone
and the reaction and damage scored engineering standards Regulations that define means rather than outcomes. Example: dogs under 15 kg receive 8 ft2 of cage floor; contrast “performance standards.” environmental enrichment Provision of ...
Remote Record Access (1980)
Requirements, Implementation and Analysis by Helen M. Wood, Stephen R. Kimbleton, Center for Computer Systems Engineering (Institute for Computer Sciences and Technology)
DEFINE is a non-procedural data descriptive language and CONVERT is a very high level, non- procedural language designed to operate on hierarchical data. In order to use these languages, input data must first be available in a normalized ...
Pocket Optical Dictionary (1908)
Including Pronunciation and Definition of the Principal Words Used in Optometry and Ophthalmology, Together with a Complete Description of the Light Wave Theory, Anatomy of the Eye, Functions and Nerve Supply of the Different Parts... by James John Lewis
Define the incident, the refracted, the reflected ray. 10. Define a one dioptre lens, and tell how you would differentiate between a ...
by John Fay
Competitive Counterintelligence Cycle Define Protection Requirements The competitive ...
by Philip Sheldrake
Spirituality as lived experience Spirituality, like experience, is notoriously difficult to define. However, in the last two decades during which spirituality has emerged as a focus of widespread interest in and outside the churches and ...
by Robert E Stevens, David L Loudon, Henry Cole, Bruce Wrenn
Define the management problem 2. State research objectives 3. Develop research methodology a. Define specific information needs b.
The A to Z Desktop Reference of Photoshop by Philip Andrews
Menu: Edit > Define Custom Shape Shortcut: – See also: Custom Shape tool Version: 6.0, 7.0, CS, CS2, CS3, CS4 The Custom Shape tool in Photoshop draws a variety of vector-based shapes. The package ships with a variety of premade ...
With Illustrations from English Literature and Colloquial English, Tr. Into Hindustani by S. W. Fallon
Define, v. a. 1. fix the bounds of. had ya sim tbairana, thanni ya bandhna; qayani k; taiyun k ; mahdud k 2. mark 'the limits of, chau- haddi bandana ya muqarrar k. ; danda mend a khara k To define the extent of a kingdom ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Define
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about define
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb define:
Photos about Define
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Define
Click on an item to play that video:
- Grandmas Attempt To Define Modern Slang Words [LABS] | Elite Daily
[Sponsored by T-Mobile] Inevitably, there will be a point in your life when you're finally forced to accept the fact that you're no longer the cool, hip young person ...
- Illuminati Definition - Illuminati Meaning - Define Illuminati ( NEW IN HD !!! )
- Taylor Swift & Meghan Trainor Define 2014 Slang | MTV News
- Abraham Hicks - Define The Meaning Of Sin
Abraham Hicks - Define The Meaning Of Sin The material in this video and other Abraham Hicks 2014 materials are copyrighted by Esther Hicks and Jerry Hicks ...
- 87 | Overloading "-" Operator | Define Operator Function outside Class definition
In This c++ Video tutorial, you will learn how to define operator function outside the class definition using scope resolution operator and also explains how to ...
- Define Timeless - Timeless Definition
- The meaning of GRATITUDE. A tutorial on how to express gratitude. Define gratitude meaning.
The meaning of GRATITUDE explained. A tutorial with free tips on how to express gratitude. Define gratitude. Change your life for the better using gratitude.
- Define Meaning
Video shows what define means. To determine with precision; to mark out with distinctness; to ascertain or exhibit clearly.. To settle, decide (an argument etc.).
- Janet Raftis- The Define Meaning Project-
The define Meaning Project interviews Modern Day Lighthouses to share and shine their personal universal light on the world. Janet Raftis is a Reiki healer and ...
- Let's define forests by their true meaning
Following FAO's criterion for the limits of tree cover for "forest" (canopy cover between 10-30%), the Kyoto Protocol defines a forest as "a minimum area of land of ...
- Using Creo and Pro/E material definition files to define model appearances - EACPDS Tip of the Week
The files you use to define density, mass properties etc. can be setup and used to define a materials appearance in Creo and Pro/E. For instance, you can use ...
- Define meaning indigogo campaign
- Define the Math Meaning of Compatible Numbers : Applied Math Tips
- What is etiquette, etiquette definition manners and politeness let's define etiquette
What is Etiquette?
- LCR Talks: Foreigners Try to Define Idioms and Slang Words
- "Define Definition" - By All Means
- Joelle Brown- The Define Meaning Project- Embracing your inner witch
Have you dabbled in Astrology? Maybe you know your sign? Maybe you know a bit about your Saturn Return? Maybe you have no idea but your curious ( like ...
- The Define Meaning Project interviews Ilumine Ink founder Mel Norton
- What is Wormwood (Star). Define Wormwood. Wormwood Definition
- What is Agoraphobia - Define Agoraphobia Meaning
- English Grammar: Learn How to define Adjective Phrases
Find 1500+ education videos available at...
- Define - Free Cydia Dictionary Notification Center Widget For iPhone & iPod Touch
Define is a well put together cydia notification center widget allowing you to search any word for it's dictionary definition. Clean and simple Name: Define Price: ...
- Define - Offline Dictionary
Define - Offline Dictionary allows you to browse word Meanings without a network connection.This application allows users to search using the simplest and ...
- Dictionary.com - App Review - Speak The Words Your Want To Define
- SpotDefine: Lets You Define Words With the iOS Dictionary Via SpotLight
All info will be displayed in the video ------ Modmyi Article...
- Tonight Show Kid Dictionary. Micah Westin Graff. 3 years Old. Define Rhinoplasty
- Google Dictionary - define:
- Define CCToggle-iOS7-Dictionary Toggle
If you want free gift cards and rewards go to...
- Define Language
How to use the define language tool in oscommerce.
- Define "weenus" for Jimmy Fallon's Kids Urban Dictionary
See also the pronunciation examples of Define!
Quotes about Define
Scrabble value of D2E1F4I1N1E1
The value of this 6-letter word is 10 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of DEFINE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Define!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Define to see it in context!