The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun degree:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun degree
- Phrases with Degree
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Degree
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Degree
- Photos about Degree
- Video language resources about Degree
- Quotes about Degree
- Scrabble value of D2E1G2R1E1E1
- Anagrams of DEGREE
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun degree
What does degree mean as a name of something?
Degree is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: degrees
- a position on a scale of intensity or amount or quality
- example: it is all a matter of degree
- lexical domain: Attributes - nouns denoting attributes of people and objects
- synonyms of degree: grade / level
- more generic word: property = a basic or essential attribute shared by all members of a class
- more specific terms:
- caliber / calibre / quality = a degree or grade of excellence or worth
- intensiveness / intensity = high level or degree
- grind = the grade of particle fineness to which a substance is ground
- depth = degree of psychological or intellectual profundity
- highness = a high degree
- high = a lofty level or position or degree
- low = a low level or position or degree
- lowness = a low or small degree of any quality
- extreme = the furthest or highest degree of something
- amplitude level = the level on a scale of amplitude
- moderateness / moderation = quality of being moderate and avoiding extremes
- immoderateness / immoderation = the quality of being excessive and lacking in moderation
- sun protection factor / SPF = the degree to which a sunscreen protects the skin from the direct rays of the sun
- a specific identifiable position in a continuum or series or especially in a process
- example: a remarkable degree of frankness
- lexical domain: States - nouns denoting stable states of affairs
- synonyms of degree: level / point / stage
- more generic word: state = the way something is with respect to its main attributes
- more specific terms:
- ladder = ascending stages by which somebody or something can progress
- superlative / elevation / meridian / pinnacle / height / summit / tiptop / acme / peak / top = the highest level or degree attainable
- extent = the point or degree to which something extends
- end point / resultant = the final point in a process
- standard of living / living standards / standard of life = a level of material comfort in terms of goods and services available to someone or some group
- plane = a level of existence or development
- state of the art = the highest degree of development of an art or technique at a particular time
- ultimateness / ultimacy = the state or degree of being ultimate
- quickening = the stage of pregnancy at which the mother first feels the movements of the fetus
- climax = the most severe stage of a disease
- an award conferred by a college or university signifying that the recipient has satisfactorily completed a course of study
- example: he earned his degree at Princeton summa cum laude
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- synonym of degree: academic degree
- more generic words: accolade / award / honor / honour / laurels = a tangible symbol signifying approval or distinction
- more specific terms:
- associate degree / associate = a degree granted by a two-year college on successful completion of the undergraduates course of studies
- bachelor's degree / baccalaureate = an academic degree conferred on someone who has successfully completed undergraduate studies
- honours degree / honours = a university degree with honors
- master's degree = an academic degree higher than a bachelor's degree but lower than a doctor's degree
- doctor's degree / doctorate = one of the highest earned academic degrees conferred by a university
- law degree = degree conferred on someone who successfully completes law school
- honorary degree / honoris causa = a degree conferred to honor the recipient
- a measure for arcs and angles
- example: there are 360 degrees in a circle
- lexical domain: Quantities - nouns denoting quantities and units of measure
- synonym of degree: arcdegree
- more generic term: angular unit = a unit of measurement for angles
- part of: oxtant = a unit of angular distance equal to half a quadrant; sextant = a unit of angular distance equal to 60 degrees
- part: minute of arc / arcminute / minute = a unit of angular distance equal to a 60th of a degree
- the highest power of a term or variable
- lexical domain: Cognitive Processes - nouns denoting cognitive processes and contents
- more generic words: exponent / index / power = a mathematical notation indicating the number of times a quantity is multiplied by itself
- more specific terms:
- a unit of temperature on a specified scale
- example: the game was played in spite of the 40-degree temperature
- lexical domain: Quantities - nouns denoting quantities and units of measure
- more generic term: temperature unit = a unit of measurement for temperature
- more specific terms:
- the seriousness of something (e.g., a burn or crime)
Alternative definition of the noun degree
- [obsolete except heraldry] A step on a set of stairs; the rung of a ladder. [definition from 13th c.]
- synonym: °
- An individual step, or stage, in any process or scale of values. [definition from 13th c.]
- synonym: °
- A stage of rank or privilege; social standing. [definition from 13th c.]
- [genealogy] A ‘step’ in genealogical descent. [definition from 14th c.]
- [context: now rare] One's relative state or experience; way, manner. [definition from 14th c.]
- The amount that an entity possesses a certain property; relative intensity, extent. [definition from 14th c.]
- A stage of proficiency or qualification in a course of study, now especially an award bestowed by a university or, in some countries, a college, as a certification of academic achievement. (In the United States, can include secondary schools.) [definition from 14th c.]
- [geometry] A unit of measurement of angle equal to 1/360 of a circle's circumference. [definition from 14th c.]
- [physics] A unit of measurement of temperature on any of several scales, such as Celsius or Fahrenheit. [definition from 18th c.]
- [mathematics] The sum of the exponents of a term; the order of a polynomial. [definition from 18th c.]
- [graph theory] The number of edges that a vertex takes part in; a valency.
- [surveying] The curvature of a circular arc, expressed as the angle subtended by a fixed length of arc or chord.
Who is Degree?
Degree a.k.a. General Degree: Cardiff Butt, better known as General Degree and later as Snapple Dapple, is a Jamaican dancehall deejay and record producer.
- read more about General Degree
Degree is a brand of antiperspirant for men and women that is manufactured by Unilever. It comes in stick, gel, and spray forms. It is the North American version of Sure in the United Kingdom and Rexona in the rest of the world.
- "Degree" is a musical album of Oslø Telescopic.
- released in (16 years ago)
- "Degree" is a musical album of General Degree.
- released in (18 years ago)
- Degree: In graph theory, the degree of a vertex of a graph is the number of edges incident to the vertex, with loops counted twice. The degree of a vertex is denoted or . The maximum degree of a graph G, denoted by Δ, and the minimum degree of a graph, denoted by δ, are the maximum and minimum degree of its vertices. In the graph on the right, the maximum degree is 5 and the minimum degree is 0. In a regular graph, all degrees are the same, and so we can speak of the degree of the graph.
- Degree: In music theory, a scale degree is the name given to a particular note of a scale to specify its position relative to the tonic. The tonic is considered to be the first degree of the scale, from which each octave is assumed to begin.
- also known as 音級
- Degree: The term degree is used in several scales of temperature. The symbol ° is usually used, followed by the initial letter of the unit, for example “°C” for degree Celsius. A degree can be defined as a set change in temperature measured against a given scale, for example, one degree Celsius is one hundredth of the temperature change between the point at which water starts to change state from solid to liquid state and the point at which it starts to change from its gaseous state to liquid.
- Degree: באלגברה מופשטת, הדרגה של אלגברה מממד סופי היא המעלה של פולינום מינימלי גנרי של לאלגברה. הדרגה חסומה על ידי מימד האלגברה, ושווה לה במקרים מסוימים; למשל, הדרגה של הרחבת שדות ספרבילית שווה לממד. עם זאת, הדרגה יכולה להיות קטנה מהממד: הדרגה של אלגברת המטריצות היא . לכן הדרגה חסומה על ידי מימד ההצגה הלינארית הקטנה ביותר של האלגברה. הדרגה אינה משתנה תחת הרחבת סקלרים.
- Degree: The academic degree this student received from this institution.
- The degree for which this dissertation was written.
Phrases with Degree
Phrases starting with the word Degree:
Phrases ending with the word Degree:
- law degree
- Arts Degree
- first degree
- scale degree
- third degree
- to no degree
- Turing Degree
- honours degree
- to that degree
View more phrases with the word Degree in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Degree
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Joseph T Catalano
Doctoral Programs In the evolution of the various levels of education, the baccalaureate degree is a generalist's degree...
With an Introduction, Historical and Critical ; the Whole Methodically Arranged and Amply Illustrated with ... a Key to the Oral Exercises, to which are Added Four Appendixes, Pertaining Separately to the Four Parts of Grammar by Goold Brown
The positive degree is that which is expressed by the adjective in its simple form t as, “An elephant is large; a mouse, small; a lion, fierce, active, bold, and strong.” The comparative degree is that which is more or less than something contrasted ...
by Clement Segun Oni
Probably, a Bachelor's degree is the least require qualification for an instructor in the secondary and technical colleges in Nigeria. One would as well assume that this should be the required qualification, but Table 1 shows that majority of ...
The Capacity to Share (2012)
A Study of Cuba’s International Cooperation in Educational Development by A. Hickling-Hudson, J. González, R. Preston
The interviews with these graduates illustrated that a characteristic feature of the Cuban degree is that of providing students...
Encyclopaedia of Brewing (2013)
Degree. of. general. hardness. A unit used to quantify the hardness of water and equivalent to a mineral content of 10 mg of...
Degree. Plato. The Plato scale is used to describe the concentration of solutions of worts or sugars. The scale is a ...
by S. Bhushan
Degree, bachelor's Democracy, radical are inferior to others and at a disadvantage due to the presence of biological, cultural, or socio-economic differences. Degree, bachelor's: Any academic degree, earned or honorary, carrying the title of ...
by Janet M. Green, Josephine Thrall
Using the third degree as a root, a triad will contain the degrees 3, 5 and 7. The fact that the intervals of this triad are of the same magnitude as those of the preceding triad makes it self-evident that this also is a minor triad. Using the fourth ...
by Michael Byram, Adelheid Hu
Factors as varied as age, learning style, degree of motivation, level of involvement, attitudinal development, prior knowledge, degree of assistance, etc., appear to affect the level of difficulty of particular exercise types. The relative degree of ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Degree
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Degree
Click on an item to view that photo:
View more pictures about Bachelors Degree.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Degree
Click on an item to play that video:
- Radian and degree | Unit circle definition of trig functions | Trigonometry | Khan Academy
What a radian is. Converting radians to degrees and vice versa. Watch the next lesson: ...
- What is one radian - Definition- Relationship Between Radian and Degree
- Associate's degree Meaning
Video shows what associate's degree means. An academic degree awarded after the equivalent of approximately 2 years of college education.. Associate's ...
- Ex: Polynomial Terminology: Name, Coefficient, Constant, Degree
This video explains how to determine the best name for a polynomial, the leading coefficient, constant term, and degree.
- 90 degree explanation
- Definition and Degree of a Monomial
Explains the definition of a monomial and the degree of a monomial with examples and no examples to help illustrate the range of possibilities.
- Sources: AAP Seeking Explanation From Jitender Singh Tomar On Fake Degree Issue
According to reports, the Aam Aadmi Party and Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal are upset with Jitender Singh Tomar over the fake degree controversy. The party has ...
- Degree Meaning
Video shows what degree means. A step on a set of stairs; the rung of a ladder.. An individual step, or stage, in any process or scale of values.. A stage of rank or ...
- Master's degree Meaning
Video shows what master's degree means. A postgraduate degree which aims to assist students in developing a mastery for a particular academic field or ...
- Murder in the first degree Meaning
Video shows what murder in the first degree means. first-degree murder. murder in the first degree pronunciation. How to pronounce, definition by Wiktionary ...
- 180 Degree Explanation
- Murder in the second degree Meaning
Video shows what murder in the second degree means. second-degree murder. Murder in the second degree Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio ...
- Tuning Defines the Meaning of a History Degree
History professors say Tuning helps define relevance of degrees for students and employers. | Project funded by Lumina Foundation | documented by Catalytica ...
- Limit Definition of the Derivative: 1st Degree Radical Polynomial Function Example
Detailed, step-by-step walk-through example problem of using the limit definition of the derivative to differentiate a first-degree radical polynomial function.
- Video | degree definition
- Limit Definition of the Derivative: 2nd Degree Polynomial Function Example
Detailed, step-by-step walk-through example problem of using the limit definition of the derivative to differentiate a second-degree rational polynomial function.
- Definition od success! The extra degree
- V756D D1 Definition 4 way 360 Degree camera system
All New Parking Surveillance Mode: - Programmable recording time-reduce vehicle battery exhausting. - Programmable fps - prolong recording time. Mobile ...
- Sociology degree: the meaning of Christmas
Dr Paul Chambers, a sociologist of religion who teaches on the University of Glamorgan's sociology degree, explores the various meanings that people apply to ...
- Degree Transfer Program Explanation
- English Grammar-Adverb of Degree
- What schools hire ESL teachers in Vietnam without degree and teaching certificate
Those who want to find an English teaching job in Vietnam and they don't have a university degree and a certificate still can find a job in Vietnam. Written ...
- Too young to teach ESL in Vietnam 20 years old, no degree, TEFL online
Many young people who are in their early 20s have no university degree and would like to teach ESL abroad. If that is your case then this podcast is for you.
- Fontbonne University: Speech-Language Pathology Degree
Julie, a major in speech-language pathology at Fontbonne University, talks about the individualized, hands-on learning experiences that her undergraduate ...
- OUHK - JUPAS 2015 Info Day - Double degree: English Language Teaching & English Language Studies
OUHK - JUPAS 2015 Info Day - Double degree: English Language Teaching & English Language Studies AND English Language Studies OUHK Open ...
- Speech Language Pathology (MS) degree, Faculty Advice Video from drkit.org
All Speech-Language Videos -...
- Degree of Adjective 02, Degree of Adjective Chart for Competitive Exam
Degree of Adjective, Degree of Adjective Chart for Competitive Exam, English Made Easy for Competition.
- Teach English Abroad With No Degree --For ESL Teachers Overseas
- Software Engineering degree at Beijing Jiaotong University by Beijing Language Cutlure Institute
Beijing Jiaotong University(BJTU, formerly known as Northern Jiaotong University), centrally located in Beijing, is a key Chinese national university. With a rich ...
- Spoken English, Adjective,Degree Class 24
Adjective, Degrees, Positive degree, Comparative degree, Superlative degree, Spoken English classes in Udaipur, English speaking classes in Udaipur, ...
View more videos about 3rd Degree, Law Degree, Arts Degree, Third Degree, Turing degree, degree Celsius, Degree Program, Positive Degree, Degree Fahrenheit, Degree of Freedom, comparative degree, Crank Angle Degree, Superlative Degree, and Degree of ionization.
See also the pronunciation examples of Degree!
Quotes about Degree
All women's issues are to some degree men's issues and all men's issues are to some degree women's issues because when either sex wins unilaterally both sexes lose. (Warren Farrell)
more quotes about degree...
Scrabble value of D2E1G2R1E1E1
The value of this 6-letter word is 8 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of DEGREE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Degree!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Degree to see it in context!