The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun denizen:
On this page:
Denizen (an inhabitant; a regular visitor) is considered to be an advanced word, according to the Barron's essential words for the GRE, which includes 800 college- and graduate-level words that frequently appear on the Graduate Record Exam.
Definition of the noun denizen
What does denizen mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: denizens
- a person who inhabits a particular place
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- synonyms of denizen: dweller / habitant / indweller / inhabitant
- more generic words: individual / mortal / person / somebody / someone / soul = a human being
- more specific terms:
- Asiatic / Asian = a native or inhabitant of Asia
- European = a native or inhabitant of Europe
- Australian / Aussie = a native or inhabitant of Australia
- Austronesian = a native or inhabitant of Austronesia
- New Zealander / Kiwi = a native or inhabitant of New Zealand
- American = a native or inhabitant of a North American or Central American or South American country
- American = a native or inhabitant of the United States
- Alsatian = a native or inhabitant of Alsace
- borderer = an inhabitant of a border area
- cottage dweller / cottager = someone who lives in a cottage
- easterner = an inhabitant of an eastern area
- Galilaean / Galilean = an inhabitant of Galilee
- Hittite = a member of an ancient people who inhabited Anatolia and northern Syria about 2000 to 1200 BC
- island-dweller / islander = an inhabitant of an island
- landlubber / landsman / landman = a person who lives and works on land
- Latin = an inhabitant of ancient Latium
- liver = someone who lives in a place
- marcher = an inhabitant of a border district
- Nazarene = an inhabitant of Nazareth
- Northerner = an inhabitant of the North
- Numidian = an inhabitant of ancient Numidia
- Occidental = a native inhabitant of the Occident
- Philistine = a member of an Aegean people who settled ancient Philistia around the 12th century BC
- Phrygian = a native or inhabitant of Phrygia
- plainsman = an inhabitant of a plains region
- occupant / occupier / resident = someone who lives at a particular place for a prolonged period or who was born there
- earthling / tellurian / worldling / earthman = an inhabitant of the earth
- Trinidadian = inhabitant or native of Trinidad
- villager = one who has lived in a village most of their life
- westerner = an inhabitant of a western area
- a plant or animal naturalized in a region
Alternative definition of the noun denizen
- An inhabitant of a place; one who dwells in.
- One who frequents a place.
- synonym: regular
- [Commonwealth, obsolete] A person with rights between those of naturalized citizen and resident alien (roughly permanent resident), obtained through letters patent.
- [biology] Used to describe the range or habitat of an animal or plant.
Definition of the verb denizen
What does denizen mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: denizened | denizening | denizens
- [transitive, British] To grant rights of citizenship to; to naturalize.
"Denizen" is a 2010 low-budget sci-fi horror-action film written and directed by J.A. Steel. The film stars Steel, Julie Corgill, Glen Jensen, Ben Bayless, and Jody Mullins, and is Steel's third feature film.
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- locations: Muskogee, Playa del Carmen, Salt Lake City
- genres: Horror, Action Film, Science Fiction
- released in (6 years ago)
"Denizen" is an action computer game published by Players Software in 1988 for the ZX Spectrum.
- mode: Single-player video game
- genre: Action game
- publisher: Interceptor Micros
- released in (28 years ago)
Denizen is a musical group.
- album: "Audio Paintings"
DENIZEN a.k.a. Denizen Company is a 2013 Telly Award winner.
- read more about Denizen Company
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Denizen
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
containing a sketch of the face of the country, of its rural economy ... and of such of the manners and customs as materially differ from those of England ... the design being to exhibit a true picture of the present state of the people of France. To which is added, a general view of the finances of the kingdom by James Paul Cobbett
A denizen is an alien born, but who has obtained '* ex donatione regis letters patent to make him an " English subject...
by Abraham Jones Le Cras
A Denizen is an alien born, but who has obtained ex dona Hone regis, letters patent to make him an english subject, an high and incommunicable branch of the royal prerogative. A Denizen is a kind of middle state, between an alien and a ...
by William Woodfall, John Tidd Pratt
A denizen is an alien born, but who has obtained, ev donatione regis, letters patent to make him an English subject, an high and incommunicable branch of the royal prerogative. A denizen is a kind of middle state, between an alien and a ...
To which is Added an Appendix of Precedents by William Woodfall
A denizen is an alien born, but who has obtained, er donatione regis, letters patent to make him an English subject, an high and incommunicable branch of the royal prerogative. A denizen is a kind of middle state, between an alien and a ...
With a Full Collection of Precedents and Forms of Procedure by William Woodfall, Samuel Bealey Harrison, Frederick Luard Wollaston
A denizen is an alien born, but who has obtained an: donatione regis letters- patent to make him an English subject, a high and incommunicable branch of the royal prerogative. middle state, between an alien and a natural born subject, and ...
by William Blackstone, Richard Burn
A DENIZEN is an alien born,- but who has obtained ex donationa ...
The Cyclopædia of Law; Or, the Correct British Lawyer; Forming a Complete and Concise Digest of the Various Laws and Statutes Comprehended in the Constitution of England ... In which are Included an Epitome of the Acts of Parliament Passed in the Last Session ... and a Glossary of the Technical Law Terms. The Whole Collected and Arranged by J. H. Adlington. [With Plates.] (1820)
by John Henry ADLINGTON
DENIZEN. A denizen is an alien born, who has ...
The Legacy of Charles Elton by David M. Richardson
By contrast, 'a denizen is an alien born, but who has obtained...
Analysis of American Law (2008)
by Thomas Watkins Powell
A denizen is an alien or foreigner who, by the laws of the country, has obtained, either permanently or for a time, the civil rights of a citizen or subject, without the right to enjoy the same political privileges. In this country aliens have been ...
by Archibald Brown
A denizen is an alien by birth, who has obtained, em donut/ions regis, letters patent making him an English subject. The king may denizenize but not naturalize a man, the latter requiring the consent of Parliament, either pro re natd or under a ...
by Rough Guides
But the lake's strangest denizen is an unknown quantity, an amphibious, horned monster called mokele mbembe, the “river dammer”, often described as a living dinosaur. Colourful, mostly secondhand anecdotes, and some Japanese aerial ...
by George Gregory
DENIZEN. A denizen is an alien-born, who has ...
The Law Student's Helper (1895)
A denizen is an alien born who has obtained by grant of the crown letters-patent to make him a subject.
Political Dictionary (1845)
Forming a Work of Universal Reference, Both Constitutional and Legal
DENIZEN, an alien born, who has been constituted an English subject by letters of denization granted by the crown through the home secretary of state. The facilities for an alien becoming naturalized, which the act 7 & 8 Vict. c. 66, provides ...
by THOMASE E. FINEGAN
Denizen. Denmark. Other works were Manual of Outpott Outitt, Modem Cavalry, etc. Denizen. W*»*m), .ln. English. law,. □ an alien who 1* made a sub- ject by the sovereign's letters patent, holding a middle state between an alien ".
by George Long
DENIZEN, an alien bom, who has been constituted an English subject by letters of denization granted by the crown through the home secretary of state. The facilities for an alien becoming naturalized, which the act 7 & 8 Vict. c. 06, provides ...
DENIZEN, in Law, an alien made a subject by the king's letters patent; otherwise called danaison, ...
A Comprehensive Reference Work by Thomas Edward Finegan
A denizen n thft TI. S. is a naturalized citizen. Denmark (den'mark), a kingdom of northern Europe, consisting of the peninsula of Jutland, north Schleswig, the island of Bornholm, and a group of islands, the most important of which are Zealand, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Denizen
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Denizen
Click on an item to view that photo:
Vocabulary building jeans
Photo credit: bionicteaching
- Garden denizen
Photo credit: xinem
- Georgetown Denizen
Photo credit: bluebrightly
- Doubtful Denizen
Photo credit: Kurayba
- Local denizen
Photo credit: mackensen42
- Avian denizen of Younger Lagoon
Photo credit: oliveoligarchy
- Garden Denizen
Photo credit: OctopusHat
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about Denizen
Video shows what denizen means. An inhabitant of a place; one who dwells in.. One who frequents a place.. A person with rights between those of naturalized ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Denizen!
Scrabble value of D2E1N1I1Z10E1N1
The value of this 7-letter word is 17 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Denizen to see it in context!