On this page:
- Definition of the verb devour
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Devour
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Devour
- Usage statistics about devour
- Photos about Devour
- Video language resources about Devour
- Quotes about Devour
- Scrabble value of D2E1V4O1U1R1
- Anagrams of DEVOUR
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the verb devour
What does devour mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: devoured | devouring | devours
- destroy completely
- enjoy avidly
- eat up completely, as with great appetite
- example: They devour more bread
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being] [Verb] [Patient] Cynthia devoured the pizza
- lexical domain: Consumption - verbs of eating and drinking
- synonyms of devour: consume / demolish / down / go through
- more generic terms: eat up / finish / polish off = finish eating all the food on one's plate or on the table
- eat greedily
Alternative definition of the verb devour
- To eat quickly, greedily, or hungrily; to eat by swallowing large bits of food with little or no chewing.
- "Devour" is a 2005 horror film directed by David Winkler.
- also known as Adoradores do Diabo
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- producer: Neal H. Moritz
- Shannyn Sossamon as Marisol
- Dominique Swain as Dakota
- William Sadler as Ivan Reisz
- Jensen Ackles as Jake Gray
- Martin Cummins as Aiden Kater
- R. Nelson Brown as Walt
- Teach Grant as Conrad Dean
- Emy Aneke as Darius
- Chaz Chamberlain as Frat boy
- Rob Stewart as Ross North
- Jenn Griffin as Older Anne Kilton
- Wanda Cannon as Kathy Gray
- Alan Roger Ackles as Paul Kilton
- Rob Allen as Young Paul
- Tami DeSchutter as Young Kathy
- John Innes as Father Moore
- Reg Tupper as Hartney
- Michael P. Northey as Riley
- Andee Frizzell as Beast
- Noelle Reno as Kelly
- Patrick Gilmore as Deputy #1
- Chris Duggan as Deputy #2
- Kyle Cassie as Frat Boy #2
- Ellen Ewusie as Party Girl
- Jenafor Ryane as Additional Party Girl
- Sandra-Jessica Couturier as Hospital Visitor
- Michelle LaFrance as Coed
- Aaron Pearl
- music by Joseph LoDuca
- genres: Horror, Psychological thriller, Sci-Fi Horror
- rating: R (USA)
- released in (10 years ago)
- "Devour" is a 2012 horror film written and directed by John D. Robinson.
"Devour" a.k.a. "Devour: A Collection of 8 Full Length New Adult Novels" is a 2014 book by E.K. Blair, Ilsa Madden-Mills, K.A. Robinson, Lexi Buchanan, Missy Johnson, S.E. Hall, Sandi Lynn and Tijan.
- read more about Devour: A Collection of 8 Full Length New Adult Novels
Devour is a fictional film character.
- "Devour" is a song recorded and performed by the hard rock band Shinedown. The song was released as the first single in promotion of the band's third studio album, The Sound of Madness. The track landed online and at multi-format rock radio outlets nationwide on May 5. As has been the case with other new singles by bands such as Disturbed, Theory of a Deadman, and Seether, "Devour" is so far Shinedown's fastest rising single to date, reaching the top five of the Billboard Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks chart in four weeks. In a No. 1 countdown interview, vocalist Brent Smith said that the single was "a letter to the President," and that it is about Smith's distaste towards George W. Bush. It is their second #1 song on the Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks chart.
- "Devour" is the second solo album from Dave Hause of The Loved Ones. It is scheduled to be released on October 8, 2013 by Rise Records.
- "Devour" is a musical single of Shinedown.
- released on (6 years ago)
- "Devour" is a musical album of Kaos Krew.
- "Devour" is a composition.
- "Devour" is a musical album of End Transmission.
- released on (5 years ago)
- "Devour" is a musical album of Devour.
- released in (7 years ago)
- "Devour" is a composition.
Devour is a musical group.
- album: "Devour"
Devour is a record label.
Devour: Around 48 hours of video is uploaded to YouTube every minute. It would take you approximately 2800 years to watch all those millions of videos. So good luck trying to find something worth watching on your lunch break.
- official website: devour.com
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Devour
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Lawrence O. Richards
DEVOUR. The Hebrew word is ʾāḵal, "to eat, or consume." One major use of the word is symbolic, to indicate hardships that ensue when an individual or a people's resources are consumed. Usually the consuming force is some disaster, ...
Devour, devowr′,v.t.toswallow greedily: to eatup: to consumeorwaste withviolenceor wantonness:todestroy: togaze ...
Clarified by Ancient Documents by Vogt Ernst, Fitzmyer Joseph A
j:t5 : eat, devour. nrnwm ...
A Library of Universal Knowledge and an Unabridged Dictionary of the English Language ...
The Imperial Dictionary (1863)
English, Technological, and Scientific by John Ogilvie
DEVOUR DEXIARLE DEVOTED, pp. Appropriated by vow; solemnly set apart or dedicated; consecrated; addicted; given up; doomed; consigned. DEVOTEDNESS, n. The state of being devoted or given; addictedness; as, devotedness to ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Devour
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about devour
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb devour:
Photos about Devour
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: dreamerofmb
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Devour
Click on an item to play that video:
- Devour Meaning
Video shows what devour means. To eat quickly, greedily, hungrily, or ravenously.. To rapidly destroy, engulf, or lay waste.. To take in avidly with the intellect.
- ESL Self-Study Program for Beginners - English Lesson 202 - greasy, jam, devour
Learning English without your language. SCRIPT The pot is very greasy. The road is jammed with cars. The animal is devouring a piece of meat. A) The pot is ...
- Devour.tv:The Wine Snobs Dictionary - Wrap Up (#105)
Devour.tv's Philip Newlin interviews David Kamp (from snobby Vanity Fair Magazine) and David Lynch (James Beard Award Winner), the authors of The Wine ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Devour!
Quotes about Devour
Scrabble value of D2E1V4O1U1R1
The value of this 6-letter word is 10 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.Couldn't select: Got error 28 from storage engine