Difference appears in the following tongue twister:
- There are two minutes difference from four to two to two to two, from two to two to two, too.
Usage statistics for the noun difference:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun difference
- Phrases with Difference
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Difference
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Difference
- Usage statistics about difference
- Photos about Difference
- Video language resources about Difference
- Quotes about Difference
- Scrabble value of D2I1F4F4E1R1E1N1C3E1
- Share this page
The word difference is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun difference
What does difference mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: differences
- the quality of being unlike or dissimilar
- example: there are many differences between jazz and rock
- lexical domain: Attributes - nouns denoting attributes of people and objects
- antonym: sameness
- more generic word: quality = an essential and distinguishing attribute of something or someone
- more specific words:
- distinctness / separateness / otherness = the quality of being not alike
- differential = a quality that differentiates between similar things
- differentia = distinguishing characteristics
- distinction = a distinguishing difference between similar things or people
- disagreement / discrepancy / divergence / variance = a difference between conflicting facts or claims or opinions
- dissimilarity / unsimilarity = the quality of being dissimilar
- variety / change = a difference that is usually pleasant
- inequality = lack of equality
- attribute: different = unlike in nature or quality or form or degree
- a variation that deviates from the standard or norm
- lexical domain: Natural Events - nouns denoting natural events
- synonyms of difference: departure / deviation / divergence
- more generic words: fluctuation / variation = an instance of change
- more specific words:
- a disagreement or argument about something important
- example: there were irreconcilable differences
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- synonyms of difference: conflict / difference of opinion / dispute
- more generic word: disagreement = the speech act of disagreeing or arguing or disputing
- more specific words:
- collision = a conflict of opposed ideas or attitudes or goals
- contestation / disceptation / controversy / disputation / contention / argument / arguing / tilt = a contentious speech act
- gap = a difference (especially an unfortunate difference) between two opinions or two views or two situations
- quarrel / wrangle / dustup / run-in / words / row = an angry dispute
- a significant change
- the number that remains after subtraction; the number that when added to the subtrahend gives the minuend
Alternative definition of the noun difference
- [uncountable] The quality of being different.
- [countable] A characteristic of something that makes it different from something else.
- [countable] A disagreement or argument.
- synonym: remainder
- [countable, uncountable] Significant change in or effect on a situation or state.
- synonym: nevermind
- [countable, arithmetic] The result of a subtraction; sometimes the absolute value of this result.
Difference is a record label.
- "Difference" is the third album of the Finnish power metal band Dreamtale released on 25 April 2005 on Spinefarm Records. It was also released in Japan. It features on vocals for the first time in the band Jarkko Ahola of the band Teräsbetoni.
- genre: Power metal
- released on (10 years ago)
- "Difference" is a musical album of Yoon Do Hyun.
- released on (10 years ago)
- "Difference" is a musical single of Djum Djum.
- released in (26 years ago)
- "Difference" is a musical album of Larry Coryell.
- released in (38 years ago)
- Difference is a key concept of philosophy, denoting the process or set of properties by which one entity is distinguished from another within a relational field or a given conceptual system. In the Western philosophical system, difference is traditionally viewed as being opposed to identity, following the Principles of Leibniz, and in particular, his Law of the Identity of indiscernibles. In structuralist and poststructuralist accounts, however, difference is understood to be constitutive of both meaning and identity. In other words, because identity is viewed in non-essentialist terms as a construct, and because constructs only produce meaning through the interplay of differences, it is the case that for both structuralism and poststructuralism, identity cannot be said to exist without difference.
- Difference a.k.a. Differences: differences: A Journal of Feminist Cultural Studies is a peer-reviewed academic journal that was established in 1989 by Naomi Schor and Elizabeth Weed. It covers research in cultural studies. The current editors-in-chief are Elizabeth Weed and Ellen Rooney. The journal, though autonomous, is housed by the Pembroke Center for Teaching and Research on Women. It was originally published by Indiana University Press, but since 2003 it has been published by Duke University Press.
- read more about Differences
- Difference is a cataloged instance, musical recording, canonical version.
Phrases with Difference
Phrases starting with the word Difference:
- difference limen
- Difference engine
- difference equation
- difference threshold
- difference of opinion
- Difference of two squares
Phrases ending with the word Difference:
- Goal difference
- Same Difference
- Time Difference
- Common Difference
- Finite difference
- Make A Difference
- Spot the difference
- Tell the Difference
- potential difference
- Symmetric difference
- Deflection Difference
- Set-Theoretic Difference
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Difference
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Embracing Theory and Practice of Bookkeeping and Accounting for High Schools, Parochial Schools, Academies and All Other Schools Teaching the Subject by William Adam Sheaffer
The difference is the cost of the goods sold. This result is subtracted from the - credit side, which is the value of the...
Electronic Funds Fraud (1993)
by James M Tien
One major difference is that while ATM incidents occur frequently, with the largest banks experiencing several thousand incidents per year, wire transfer incidents are rare, with even the largest banks experiencing only a few incidents per year.
Onto-Theology Vindicated by W.F. Vallicella
The second, call it the minor difference, is that between the existence unique to a particular existent and that particular existent. To anticipate a later conclusion, the major existential difference is the difference between the paradigm existent ...
by Conrad Bessant, Darren Oakley, Ian Shadforth
A Perl hash is similar to an array in that it is a list of scalar variables, the difference is that a hash is not a number indexed list—the...
A second major difference is that Mexico completely eliminated its PAYG system whereas Chile and Argentina retained the option to contribute to the...
A third major difference is the terms and conditions of the minimum pension guarantee.
by P. C. Roy
The first numismatic difference is that on the coins of Narwar Chahadadeva there is the use of the prefix as Snmat,1TM...
The third difference is the absence of the words Asdvan and Samantadeva on the coins of Narwar Chahadadeva.
by Colin Boyd, Anish Mathuria
The main difference is that the shared secret is ZAB = grarn but this seems ...
Code of Federal Regulations (2008)
However, if the application of the levy is neither different by its terms nor different in practice for dual capacity taxpayers from its application to Other perSons, or if the only difference is that a lower rate (but the same base) applies to dual ...
by CTI Reviews
Difference is a key concept of philosophy, denoting the process or set of properties by which one entity is distinguished from another within a relational field or a given conceptual system. In the Western philosophical system, difference is ...
by CTI Reviews
Difference is a key concept of philosophy, denoting the process or set of ...
Building a New World (2015)
by Luce Irigaray
For Irigaray, sexuate difference is a basic and universal mode of being, of beingtwo, and it cannot be approached in the same light as the question of race or religion. Sexuate difference is a way of being in the world that is rooted in the ...
Wherein is Contain'd, Not Only the Explanation of the Bare Terms, But Likewise an History of the Rise, Progress, State, Properties, Etc. of Things, Both in Pure Mathematics and Natural Philosophy, So Far as These Last Come Under a Mathematical Consideration by Edmund Stone
Latitudes and Distance given : to find the Course, Departure, and Difference of Longitude. For the Course : As the Diitance A c is to the Radius, fo is A b the Difference of Latitude, to the Sine of A c b the Complement of the Course.
by Muhammad Rashid Usman
Logarithmic mean concentration difference: The ...
A Complete Dictionary of Astrology, in which every technical ... term belonging to the Science is ... explained and the various systems of the most approved Authors accurately defined, etc (1819)
by James WILSON (Philomath.)
ASCENSIONAL DIFFERENCE, the difference between the right and oblique ascension of any star or part of the ecliptic. It is found by taking the declination of the star, ...
by Adrian Parr
DIFFERENCE 75 a universal grouping, such as Being, a conception of presence that alone makes the groups wholly consistent and meaningful. It is because Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel drew a comprehensive and cohesive world of Being ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Difference
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about difference
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Usage statistics for the noun difference:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun difference:
Photos about Difference
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: emily792872
Photo credit: Rico Marcelli
Photo credit: Enzo_Trần
Photo credit: CreativeRosh
Photo credit: therapycatguardian
Photo credit: Timothy Tolle
Photo credit: akk_rus
Photo credit: Faisal Akram Ether
Photo credit: Monika Kostera (urbanlegend)
Photo credit: PJ Nelson
Photo credit: laurita13
Mallard and Coot in Lurgan Park.
Photo credit: Kris Campbell
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Difference
Click on an item to play that video:
- Solution Solvent Solute - Definition and Difference
Kids can learn about meaning ,definition and difference among of solute,solvent and solution in this animation video.
- Intermediate Algebra - Set Difference - Definition, Properties, Example 1
Definition and properties of the set operation known as the difference of sets. Also has a brief example.
- Factoring binomials - difference of squares: Quick Explanation!
- Math Terminology: Difference between Equation and Expression
Free Online Office Hours...
- Difference between Hair and Hairs (Vocabulary Confusion in English)
- Difference between Good & Well - Vocabulary Confusion in English
'Good' and 'Well' are two English words that people might often confuse. They are similar in meaning, but have different applications and should not be used in ...
- Time difference Meaning
Video shows what time difference means. The difference between one measurement of time and another taken later, the length of a time interval.. The difference ...
- English vocabulary difference between look see watch English grammar lesson
- Difference between Advice and Advise (English vocabulary from WabsTalk)
- Difference In Hyperbole And Idiom
Hyperbole vs idiom what's the difference . , . . . . Exaggerations, hyperboles, and idioms are literary devices that are so closely related that people often consider ...
- Difference between Beside and Besides - English Vocabulary from WabsTalk
- Difference Definition (Subtraction)
Difference definition for subtraction. What is a difference in math? Find out here!
- Advanced English Lesson - Difference between See, Look and Watch (ESL)
Advanced English Lesson - Difference between See, Look and Watch ( ESL lesson) In this spoken English lesson you will learn the difference between the ...
- Difference between 'See', 'Watch' and 'Look' - English Grammar lesson ( ESL )
Difference between 'See', 'Watch' and 'Look' - English Grammar lesson Take a test...
- Difference between EFL and ESL
In the world of English language teaching, acronyms and abbreviations abound but are not always fully understood - or in some cases they mean different things ...
- Difference between Job Description and Job Specification.
In this video , Mrs. Tripti Vijayvergiya, Asst. Professor, Biyani Groups of Colleges explained about job description which is a written description of a job which ...
- Difference between a speech disorder and language disorder
There are several differences between the two disorders, speech and language.
See also the pronunciation examples of Difference!
Quotes about Difference
There is little difference in people, but that little difference makes a big difference. That little difference is attitude. The big difference is whether it is positive or negative. (Robert Collier)
more quotes about difference...
Scrabble value of D2I1F4F4E1R1E1N1C3E1
The value of this 10-letter word is 19 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Difference to see it in context!