The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun differential:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun differential
- Definition of the adjective differential
- Phrases with Differential
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Differential
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Differential
- Photos about Differential
- Video language resources about Differential
- Quotes about Differential
- Scrabble value of D2I1F4F4E1R1E1N1T1I1A1L1
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun differential
What does differential mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: differentials
- the result of mathematical differentiation; the instantaneous change of one quantity relative to another; df(x)/dx
- lexical domain: Cognitive Processes - nouns denoting cognitive processes and contents
- synonyms of differential: derivative / derived function / differential coefficient / first derivative
- more generic words: calculation / computation / figuring / reckoning = problem solving that involves numbers or quantities
- more specific terms:
- a quality that differentiates between similar things
- a bevel gear that permits rotation of two shafts at different speeds; used on the rear axle of automobiles to allow wheels to rotate at different speeds on curves
Alternative definition of the noun differential
- the differential gear in an automobile etc
- a qualitative or quantitative difference between similar or comparable things
- [mathematics] an infinitesimal change in a variable, or the result of differentiation
Specialised definition of the noun differential
Glossary of sports / motorsports
the final link in the drive train, which transmits power to the wheels
Definition of the adjective differential
What does differential mean as an attribute of a noun?
- relating to or showing a difference
- example: differential treatment
- lexical domain: Relational Adjectives (pertainyms)
- involving or containing one or more derivatives
Alternative definition of the adjective differential
- of, or relating to a difference
- dependent on, or making a difference; distinctive
- having differences in speed or direction of motion
- [mathematics] of, or relating to differentiation, or the differential calculus
- "Differential" is a composition.
- "Differential" a.k.a. "Monochrome Rust / Differential" is a musical album of Bernhard Günter.
- read more about Monochrome Rust / Differential
Differential: The term differential is used in calculus to refer to an infinitesimal change in some varying quantity. For example, if x is a variable, then a change in the value of x is often denoted Δx. The differential dx represents an infinitely small change in the variable x. The idea of an infinitely small or infinitely slow change is extremely useful intuitively, and there are a number of ways to make the notion mathematically precise.
Phrases with Differential
Phrases starting with the word Differential:
- differential cost
- differential gear
- differential limen
- Differential Medium
- differential analyzer
- differential calculus
- differential equation
- Differential geometry
- Differential topology
- differential diagnosis
- differential threshold
- differential psychology
- differential blood count
- differential coefficient
- Differential Grasshopper
- Differential thermal analysis
Other phrases containing the word Differential:
- Delay differential equation
- partial differential equation
- Ordinary differential equation
- Stochastic differential equation
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Differential
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Gary L. Gastineau, Mark P. Kritzman
An option on the forward interest rate differential (DIFF) between comparable instruments denominated in different currencies. (2) A spread or outperformance option with a payout linked to the ...
Ent - Fra
and its differential is the first term ph. In conformity with this definition, the differential of the variable x itself will be its increment A, which, because of its ...
by Michiel Hazewinkel
Furthermore, the differential operator and the supplementary conditions are decoupled. Through a simple and systematic algorithm, which treats the differential operator and supplementary conditions with similar machinery, this technique ...
The Mathematics Dictionary (1992)
by R.C. James, Glenn James
Differential 119 Differential For a function f(x, y) of two variables, df df df=—dx+— dy. dx dy The function / is differentiable at (x, y) if, for any e > 0, there is a S > 0 such that if Ax and Ay are numbers with |A;r| and |Ay| each less than S, then ...
by Phillip A. Laplante
differential length vector joint velocity vector to the r < m components of the velocity vector v of concern for the specific task. Here n denotes number of degrees of mobility of the structure, m is the number of operational space variables, and r is ...
by Eric W. Weisstein
Differentiable Manifold Differentiable Manifold SMOOTH MANIFOLD Differential A ONE-FORM.
See also INTEGRAL CALCULUS Differential Equation An equation which involves the DERIVATIVES of a function as well as the function ...
by Laura L. Finley
DIFFERENTIAL IDENTIFICATION THEORY DIFFERENTIAL IDENTIFICATION THEORY. Differential identification theory is a learning theory of crime, first introduced in 1956 by Daniel Glaser as an extension to Edwin Sutherland's ...
by Ronald G. Driggers
The broadband differential target-to-background radiance is calculated for some given target temperature and background temperature [''•2 AL,gt ...
Comprising Definitions of All the Terms Employed in Mathematics - an Analysis of Each Branch, and of the Whole, as Forming a Single Science by Charles Davies
By some the differential is considered infinitely small, ...
by W. Gellert
Preliminary survey Basic concepts Differential equation. If a relation exists between a function of one or more variables and some of its derivatives, in the form of an equation in which the independent variables can also occur, then one speaks ...
by Nathan Bailey
DIFFERENTIAL£w<aiwy [in the higher Geometry] an infinitely smill quantity, or puticle of a ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Differential
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Differential
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: trevormarron
Photo credit: MikeSpeaks
Photo credit: 2stops
- Differential marking
Photo credit: mathrock
- Radiator and Differential
Photo credit: chuckoutrearseats
- Differential Respirometer
Photo credit: Michael Newton
- Nice Differential
Photo credit: cogdogblog
- Differential compaction
Monterey Formation, California, USA
Photo credit: mark i geo
View more pictures about Differential Grasshopper.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Differential
Click on an item to play that video:
- Calculus- differential definition
Calculus- differential definition.
- Lecture 18 - ADC Terminology, Offset and Gain Error, Differential Nonlinearity (DNL).
Video Lecture Series by IIT Professors ( Not Available in NPTEL) "VLSI Data Conversion Circuits" By Prof. Nagendra Krishnapura and Prof.Shanthi Pavan For ...
- Explanation of DPA: Differential Power Analysis (from the paper of Kocher et al)
This is an explanation of the Kocher et al paper on Differential Power Analysis. MISTAKE : DPA and SPA are non-invasive, source: ...
- Differential of a function and its geometrical meaning
The notion of differential is presented. by Prof. Enzo Tonti...
- Differential thermal analysis Meaning
Video shows what differential thermal analysis means. the branch of materials science that studies the temperature dependant properties of materials compared ...
- Differential Meaning
Video shows what differential means. of, or relating to a difference. dependent on, or making a difference; distinctive. having differences in speed or direction of ...
- Best 1st Order Differential Explanation in under 5 minutes
- First order linear differential explanation
- Differential topology Meaning
Video shows what differential topology means. Field dealing with differentiable functions on differentiable manifolds.. Differential topology Meaning. How to ...
- Really simple to understand how a Differential works explanation
- Differential medium Meaning
Video shows what differential medium means. growth medium that allows two or more organisms to be distinguished from one another by some parameter, such ...
- What Is The Definition Of Automated white cell differential Medical Dictionary Free Online
- Differential gear Meaning
Video shows what differential gear means. An arrangement of bevel gears permitting the rotation of two shafts at two different speeds whilst supplying the same ...
- Morgan White Differential and Regearing Definition COMM 1110
- Differential structures: Definition and classification - Lec 07 - Frederic Schuller
This is from a series of lectures - "Lectures on the Geometric Anatomy of Theoretical Physics" delivered by Dr.Frederic P Schuller.
See also the pronunciation examples of Differential!
Quotes about Differential
There's no doubt that scientific training helps many authors to write better science fiction. And yet, several of the very best were English majors who could not parse a differential equation to save their lives. (David Brin)
more quotes about differential...
Scrabble value of D2I1F4F4E1R1E1N1T1I1A1L1
The value of this 12-letter word is 19 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.Couldn't select: Got error 28 from storage engine