The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun difficulty:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun difficulty
- Phrases with Difficulty
- Printed books with definitions for Difficulty
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Difficulty
- Photos about Difficulty
- Video language resources about Difficulty
- Sign language
- Quotes about Difficulty
- Scrabble value of D2I1F4F4I1C3U1L1T1Y4
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun difficulty
What does difficulty mean as a name of something?
Difficulty is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: difficulties
- an effort that is inconvenient
- examples: had difficulty walking | finished the test only with great difficulty
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- synonym of difficulty: trouble
- more generic terms: effort / elbow grease / exertion / sweat / travail = use of physical or mental energy
- more specific terms:
- a factor causing trouble in achieving a positive result or tending to produce a negative result
- lexical domain: Cognitive Processes - nouns denoting cognitive processes and contents
- more generic term: cognitive factor = something immaterial (as a circumstance or influence) that contributes to producing a result
- more specific terms:
- problem / trouble = a source of difficulty
- facer = a serious difficulty with which one is suddenly faced
- killer = a difficulty that is hard to deal with
- kink = a difficulty or flaw in a plan or operation
- pisser = a very disagreeable difficulty
- booby trap / pitfall = an unforeseen or unexpected or surprising difficulty
- snorter = something outstandingly difficult
- hinderance / impediment / deterrent / hindrance / handicap / baulk / check / balk = something immaterial that interferes with or delays action or progress
- wrinkle = a minor difficulty
- a condition or state of affairs almost beyond one's ability to deal with and requiring great effort to bear or overcome
- lexical domain: States - nouns denoting stable states of affairs
- more generic words: condition / status = a state at a particular time
- more specific terms:
- bitch = an unpleasant difficulty
- predicament / quandary / plight = a situation from which extrication is difficult especially an unpleasant or trying one
- rattrap = a difficult entangling situation
- pinch = a painful or straitened circumstance
- kettle of fish / muddle / pickle / hole / mess / fix / jam = informal terms for a difficult situation
- rough sledding / hard time = a difficulty that can be overcome with effort
- strain / stress = difficulty that causes worry or emotional tension
- mire = a difficulty or embarrassment that is hard to extricate yourself from
- problem / job = a state of difficulty that needs to be resolved
- situation = a complex or critical or unusual difficulty
- urinary hesitancy = difficulty in beginning the flow of urine; associated with prostate enlargement in men and with narrowing of the urethral opening in women
- wall = a difficult or awkward situation
- the quality of being difficult
- example: they agreed about the difficulty of the climb
- lexical domain: Attributes - nouns denoting attributes of people and objects
- synonym of difficulty: difficultness
- antonym of difficulty: ease
- more generic word: quality = an essential and distinguishing attribute of something or someone
- more specific words:
- effortfulness = the quality of requiring deliberate effort
- rigourousness / rigorousness / severeness / asperity / grimness / hardship / severity / rigour / rigor = something hard to endure
- ruggedness / hardness = the quality of being difficult to do
- formidability / toughness = impressive difficulty
- burdensomeness / oppressiveness / onerousness / heaviness = unwelcome burdensome difficulty
- niceness / subtlety = the quality of being difficult to detect or analyze
- troublesomeness / inconvenience / worriment = a difficulty that causes anxiety
- attribute: difficult / hard = not easy
Alternative definition of the noun difficulty
- The state of being difficult, or hard to do.
- An obstacle that hinders achievement of a goal.
Specialised definition of the noun difficulty
Glossary of sports
classification or assessment category for the technical difficulty of exercises in sport disciplines where performance cannot be measured directly, but must be judged and assessed according to a point system, e.g. in gymnastics, sport acrobatics (part), figure skating, roller (inline) skating (mark), diving. (Herbert Haag & Gerald Haag. 2003. Dictionary. Sport, Physical Education, Sport Science. Kiel, Institut für Sport und Sportwissenschaften)
- synonym: degree of difficulty
Glossary of sports / alpinism
the classification of the technical difficulty of a climbing route (Herbert Haag & Gerald Haag. 2003. Dictionary. Sport, Physical Education, Sport Science. Kiel, Institut für Sport und Sportwissenschaften)
- synonym: degree of difficulty
"Difficulty" is a composition.
- music and lyrics by KT Tunstall
"Difficulty" is a book by William Logan.
- also known as "Difficulty: poems"
Phrases with Difficulty
Printed books with definitions for Difficulty
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Ian Cloete, Jacek M. Zurada
The first difficulty is the necessity of prior specification of a network structure. Needless to say...
The third difficulty is a scaling problem: computational cost grows rapidly as the network size increases. The fourth difficulty is a local minima ...
Indeterminate Identity (2000)
Metaphysics and Semantics by Terence Parsons
The first difficulty is that Evans cites Leibniz's Law while using a contrapositive version of it.
The second difficulty is the unjustified assumption (emphasized in Chapter 4) that the abstracts introduced in the proof stand for properties that obey ...
by Russell Daylight
The first difficulty is that the engagement isfragmented. In the early, linguistically oriented, texts of Derrida, the name Saussure appears fitfully: three lines in 'Freud and the Scene of Writing'; a footnote in Speech and Phenomena; five pages in ...
by Ian H. Witten, Eibe Frank, Mark A. Hall
A second difficulty is the plethora of attributes. The computer desktop environment has...
A third difficulty is that the iterative, improvement-driven development style that characterizes data mining applications fails. It is impossible in principle to ...
In Honor of the 65th Birthday of Hans Duistermaat by Erik P. van den Ban, Johan A.C. Kolk
The first difficulty is that as we saw before ∫ S1 | ̇x|2ds = +∞μ t a.e.. (2.20) The second difficulty is that there is no Lebesgue measure Dx on L0X. The third related difficulty is the denominator t∞/2, where ∞ should be understood as dim LX.
Sensor-based Integration by Bhaskar Kumar Ghosh, Ning Xi, Tzyh-Jong Tarn
The first technical difficulty is the development of a mathematical model to describe the plan so that it is inherently flexible relative to the final task goal and can be easily adjusted in real time according to task measurements. The second ...
Criminal Law (2001)
by David C. Brody, James R. Acker, Wayne A. Logan
The difficulty is that society is interested also in the due fulfillment of contracts and the avoidance of traffic accidents and most of the other stuff of civil litigation. The civil law is framed and interpreted and enforced with a constant eye to these ...
The Last Liberal Art by Robert G Hagstrom
Adding to the difficulty is the fear that the uncertainty of long-range forecasts makes using the model suspect. A further difficulty is that determining value is highly sensitive to its ...
by Bagehot, Paul Smith
The difficulty is that the object is in constant change.
The difficulty is the greater because a writer who deals with a living government naturally compares it with the most important other living governments, and these are changing too; what ...
The English Constitution (1930)
And Other Political Essays by Walter Bagehot
The difficulty is that the object is in constant change.
The difficulty is the greater because a writer who deals with a living government [ viii ]naturally compares it with the most important other living governments, and these are changing too; ...
by Franco Sechi, Marina Bujatti
The first difficulty is that the amplifier emits noise, even when the RF pulse is off. This seriously complicates the system design and degrades the performance. The second difficulty is the increase, often by a large amount, of the dc-power ...
by Coel Hellier
The main difficulty is that the eclipse yields one-dimensional information — disc regions all along the secondary limb, with a range of temperature and radii, combine to give only one bit of information, the change in observed light — whereas ...
by Committee on Human Factors
One method is to ask the operator to express it in natural language, but the obvious difficulty is that each operator's expression is...
by Daniel W. Smith, Henry Somers-Hall
A first difficulty is that Deleuze never identified the political as a ...
The Ideas of Biology (2012)
by John Tyler Bonner
As far as man is concerned the difficulty is that nurture has become so tremendously important that nature is increasingly difficult to clearly identify and tag. But we know that some patterns of behavior of human beings must be wholly or at least ...
An Interdisciplinary Perspective by I. Glenn Cohen, Norman Daniels, Nir Eyal
The first difficulty is that these other distinctions, such as the worse off versus the better off, fail always to map onto the identified versus statistical distinction. So these arguments could at most show that the identified/statistical distinction is ...
Using Simulation to Improve Our Understanding of Demographic Behaviour by Francesco C. Billari, Alexia Prskawetz
The first difficulty is the potentially thin character of information and activities relevant to contraception within the wider framework of social action. The second difficulty is ensuring the correct relationship between ABM and existing theories, ...
Basics of Video Lighting (2013)
by Des Lyver, Graham Swainson
A common difficulty is the creation of unwanted shadows on backgrounds. Very often these can be alleviated by...
Future is Tomorrow (1987)
17 Prospective Studies - 2 volumes by Martinus Nijhoff
The second difficulty is that the adaptation of education to various types of children presupposes an extremely fine psychological understanding of the children, but most teachers are selected because of the knowledge which they possess, ...
by Stephen David Ross
The immediate difficulty is that complete knowledge of all events entails that the future is actual relative to a divine standpoint. God's omniscience is effectively antithetic to possibilities, rendering everything actual from a cosmic point of view.
Models of Mental Disorders (2012)
A New Comparative Psychiatry by William T. McKinney Jr.
The third difficulty is the heterogeneity in the behavior of human psychotic patients; that is, there are the schizophrenias rather than a single syndrome, and we are likely to need several animal models rather than any single comprehensive one ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Difficulty
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Difficulty
Click on an item to view that photo:
SMC Pentax-M 1:2 35mm
Rollei Retro 400
Scanned on Epson V700
Milland Rec, Milland, West Sussex
Photo credit: willjackson.eu
Photo credit: Go-tea 郭天
- Relief and difficulty
After every Difficulty
Photo credit: Iqbal Osman1
- Technical Difficulty
Photo credit: Forsaken Fotos
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Difficulty
Click on an item to play that video:
- The Definition of Item Difficulty
What exactly is item difficulty - and how do you measure it? Aaron Dewald explains how a simple calculation can illustrate which of your exam questions are ...
- DD difficulty explanation 2. - Freestyle (FISAC-IRSF Judges Training Videos)
- DD Difficulty explanation 3. (FISAC-IRSF Judges Training Videos)
FISAC-IRSF Judges Training Videos: DD difficulty explained with a freestyle.
- DD difficulty explanation 1. (FISAC-IRSF Judges Training Videos)
FISAC-IRSF Judges Training Videos: Description of the theory of difficulty double dutch. (after this video look at: Difficulty double dutch practice)
- Tech difficulty explanation
- Difficulty Meaning
Video shows what difficulty means. The state of being difficult, or hard to do.. An obstacle that hinders achievement of a goal.. difficulty pronunciation. How to ...
- A Bit of Difficulty With Abstract vs. Literal Language
Mr. Benton and Brian run into a snag with communication.
- Mx vs Atv untamed (All Time Difficulty) Description
- Defeat Maexxna on Heroic Difficulty (check description)
- Defeat Noth the Plaguebringer on Heroic Difficulty (check description)
- Defeat Grand Widow Faerlina on Heroic Difficulty (check description)
- Defeat Gothik the Harvester on Heroic Difficulty (check description)
- The difficulty faced by EFL Arab learners in Uttering English Consonant Clusters
- Defeat Grobbulus on Heroic Difficulty (check description)
- Defeat Gluth on Heroic Difficulty (check description)
- Defeat Thaddius on Heroic Difficulty (check description)
- Defeat Loatheb on Heroic Difficulty (check description)
- Defeat Baron Rivendare on Heroic Difficulty (check description)
See also the pronunciation examples of Difficulty!
Difficulty -- Interpreting Sign Language
Difficulty -- Interpreting Sign Language.
Quotes about Difficulty
Deep down, no one really believes they have a right to live. But this death sentence generally stays tucked away, hidden beneath the difficulty of living. If that difficulty is removed from time to time, death is suddenly there, unintelligibly. (Jean Baudrillard)
more quotes about difficulty...
Scrabble value of D2I1F4F4I1C3U1L1T1Y4
The value of this 10-letter word is 22 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Difficulty to see it in context!