The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun dike:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun dike
- Definition of the verb dike
- Phrases with Dike
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Dike
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Dike
- Photos about Dike
- Videos about Dike
- Quotes about Dike
- Scrabble value of D2I1K5E1
- Anagrams of DIKE
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun dike
What does dike mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: dikes
- (slang) offensive term for a lesbian who is noticeably masculine
- a barrier constructed to contain the flow of water or to keep out the sea
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- synonyms of dike: dam / dyke
- more generic word: barrier = a structure or object that impedes free movement
- more specific words:
Alternative definition of the noun dike
- [British] The northern English form of ditch.
- A ditch and bank running alongside each other.
- synonym: ditch
- A barrier of stone or earth used to hold back water and prevent flooding.
- [pejorative] A lesbian, especially a manly or unattractive lesbian.
- [geology] A body of once molten igneous rock that was injected into older rocks in a manner that crosses bedding planes.
Definition of the verb dike
What does dike mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: diked | diking | dikes
- enclose with a dike
- Dike is a city in Grundy County, Iowa, United States. The population was 1,209 at the 2010 census an increase of 28% increase from 944 at the 2000 census. It is part of the Waterloo–Cedar Falls Metropolitan Statistical Area.
- Dike a.k.a. Dike, Texas: Dike is an unincorporated community in Hopkins County, Texas, United States. Although it is unincorporated, Dike has a post office, with the ZIP code of 75437.
- read more about Dike, Texas
There are other places with in their name, like Scots' Dike.
Dike is an Horse.
- born in (50 years ago)
- Dike: A dike or dyke in geology is a sheet of rock that formed in a fracture in a pre-existing rock body. However, when the new rock forms within and parallel to the bedding of a layers rock, it is called a sill. It is a type of tabular or sheet intrusion, that either cuts across layers in a planar wall rock structures, or into a layer or unlayered mass of rock.
- also known as Πρόχωμα, Φλέβα λίθων, 岩脈
- Dike: In ancient Greek culture, Dikē was the goddess of justice and the spirit of moral order and fair judgement based on immemorial custom, in the sense of socially enforced norms and conventional rules. According to Hesiod, she was fathered by Zeus upon his second consort, Themis. She and her mother were both personifications of justice. She is depicted as a young slender woman carrying a physical balance scale and wearing a laurel wreath while her Roman counterpart appears in a similar fashion but blind-folded.She is represented in the constellation Libra which is named for the Latin name of her symbol. She is often associated with Astraea, the goddess of innocence and purity. Astraea is also one of her epithets referring to her appearance in the nearby constellation Virgo which is said to represent Astraea . This reflects her symbolic association with Astraea, who too has a similar iconography.
- Dike: A dike, levee, levée, embankment, floodbank or stopbank is a natural or artificial slope or wall, usually earthen and often parallels the course of a river.
Phrases with Dike
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Dike
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The black dike is a rhyolitic member of the latest transitional swarm but has itself been cut by other members of the same...
by Michael O'Donoghue
One sapphire-bearing dike was found in 1889 penetrating argillaceous rocks; the dike is a very finegrained rock and contains feldspar, biotite, augite and a glassy material; sapphire is not very plentiful in it.
Expedition Agroparks (2011)
Research by Design into Sustainable Development and Agriculture in the Network Society by Peter J.A.M. Smeets
The issue of biodiversity is high on the agenda throughout the Dongtan region, because the entire area outside the dike is a designated RAMSAR site (The Ramsar convention is an intergovernmental treaty that provides the framework for ...
Modeling Volcanic Processes (2013)
The Physics and Mathematics of Volcanism by Sarah A. Fagents, Tracy K. P. Gregg, Rosaly M. C. Lopes
A dike is a hydraulic fracture that brings magma through the brittle outer shell of the Earth from a zone of partial melting or storage to the site of a volcanic eruption or intrusion. The term dike originally applied to the solidified “fossil” fissure ...
by John William Carleton
Black Dike is a portion of that part of the Nene which borders upon the great level of the Fens of Cambridgeshire, extending westward over forty miles of country to the sea. It lies half-a-mile or so beyond Northay Gravel, and is, perhaps, one of ...
by Justin Dike
Justin Dike is the creator and lead developer at CartoonSmart.com, an education channel and video production company specializing in high definition tutorials for Xcode, Cocos2d, HTML5, Adobe Flash, Adobe Illustrator, Toon Boom Animate, ...
Liquid Assets (2005)
The Critical Need to Safeguard Freshwater Ecosystems by Sandra Postel, Lisa Mastny
The dike is a desperate attempt to arrest this cascade of unintended consequences. Officials hope to raise the Small Aral by 3 meters, cover some 1,000 square kilometers of desiccated seabed with water, increase rainfall, and lessen the ...
by Christian Libery Press
Since a dike is a strong wall of earth and stone, it keeps the sea from flooding the land. Research Challenge: Answers will vary.
The Geology and Mineral Deposits of Part of the Western Half of the Hailey 1° × 2° Quadrangle, Idaho
The dike is a feeder for basalt flows that cap the gravels in this area. Late Cenozoic basaltic dikes are common along the southern edge of the Atlanta lobe and are related to young Snake River Plain basaltic volcanism. Many such dikes are ...
by Karel van der Toorn, Bob Becking, Pieter Willem van der Horst
The didactic poet Hesiod was the first to personify Dike (Homer, Iliad 16: 387-8, is a dubious instance and probably an interpolation based upon Hesiod' s Ergo). Hesiod transforms Dike into a daughter of -••Zeus and -*Themis (Themis is the ...
Volume 54 - Steam Reforming: Operating Experience to Storage Tank Explosion Safeguards by John J. McKetta Jr
Examples include double-walled tanks or singlewalled tanks with either an open- top steel dike or a concrete vault as an integrated module. A dike is a containment area beneath and surrounding an AST. The code language is fairly well ...
by Donald Langmead, Christine Garnaut
the impressive earthwork known as Offa's Dike formed a boundary, albeit discontinuous, between England and Wales. One of the most remarkable structures in Britain, it runs ...
by Mark Dike DeLancey, Rebecca Mbuh, Mark W. Delancey
Mark Dike DeLancey, Rebecca Mbuh, Mark W. Delancey. Editor's. Foreword. The Republic of Cameroon is one of the most intriguing countries in Africa. As the authors of this book show, it truly is an “Africa in Miniature.” Geographically ...
Abridged in One Volume by Gerhard Kittel, Gerhard Friedrich, Geoffrey W. Bromiley
dike. A. The Idea of Law in the Classical and Hellenistic Greek World. Law, religious, political, and ethical, forms the basis and center of Greek thought and society. The starting point is the goddess Dike. This goddess ...
An Encyclopedia of the Pacific Rim's Earthquakes, Tsunamis, and Volcanoes by Bethany D. Rinard Hinga Ph.D.
A dike is a vertically or semi-vertically oriented crack in the earth's crust that has been injected with magma. It is a magma pathway that forms beneath and within a volcano. It can carry magma from a magma ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Dike
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Dike
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Graham of the Wheels
Dike protecting EGF
Photo credit: darinzimmerman
Photo credit: Marcel Oosterwijk
Photo credit: mrhayata
Photo credit: mrhayata
This is near the Spanish Peaks in southern Colorado.
Photo credit: Jeffrey Beall
- On the dike
Photo credit: lennox_mcdough
- Dike under dutch sky
Photo credit: Jorick77
- Building the dike
Photo credit: Maurits Verbiest
- Bushes, fields, dike and clouds
Photo credit: Jorick77
- Lucky Dike
Photo credit: erix!
- Behind the dike
Photo credit: Nederland in foto's
- Higbees Dike
Photo credit: Seabamirum
- River dike
Photo credit: Darren_Curtis
- The dike
Photo credit: Sam Beebe
- Volcanic dike
Photo credit: Ruth and Dave
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Dike
Click on an item to play that video:
- Dike Meaning
Video shows what dike means. Archaic spelling of all meanings of dyke.. A barrier of stone or earth used to hold back water and prevent flooding.. A lesbian ...
- Dike Meaning
Video shows what Dike means. for someone living near a dike.. Dike Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say Dike. Powered by ...
- Destiny Dike - vocabulary rich activity
- Language and culture by chima dike and gabriel anu ajayi
a video on the relationship between language and culture.
See also the pronunciation examples of Dike!
Quotes about Dike
He who starts a lawsuit makes a hole in the dike.
more quotes about dike...
Scrabble value of D2I1K5E1
The value of this 4-letter word is 9 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of DIKE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Dike!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Dike to see it in context!