Dim appears in the following pangram (a sentence using every letter of the alphabet at least once):
- Foxy parsons quiz and cajole the lovably dim wiki-girl. (45 letters)
Dim appears in many palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- Diarmid, assess a dim raid.
- A dim or fond 'No' from Ida?
- Sir, bed dim Ann amid debris.
Dim is sometimes a misspelling of dime.
The word dim is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the adjective dim
What does dim mean as an attribute of a noun?
Dim is one of the top 1000 most common adjectives in the English language.
adjective - degrees: dimmer | dimmest
- lacking in light; not bright or harsh
- lacking clarity or distinctness
- made dim or less bright
- offering little or no hope
- slow to learn or understand; lacking intellectual acuity
Alternative definition of the adjective dim
- not bright or colorful
- not smart or intelligent
- indistinct, hazy or unclear
- disapproving, unfavorable, rarely used outside the phrase "take a dim view of".
Definition of the verb dim
What does dim mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: dimmed, dimming
- switch (a car's headlights) from a higher to a lower beam
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Patient] Bill dried the clothes [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Patient] [Adjective] The clothes dried wrinkled [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Patient] [Adjective] with [Instrument] Tony broke the piggy bank open with a hammer [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Patient] to / into [Oblique, state] Tony broke the glass to pieces [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Patient] to / into [Oblique, state] with [Instrument] Tony broke the glass to pieces with a hammer [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Patient] with [Instrument] Bill dried the clothes with a hairdryer [Instrument] [Verb] [Patient] The hairdryer dried the clothes [Patient] [Verb] The clothes dried | The roses bloomed [Patient] [Verb] [Adjective] Piggy banks break open [Patient] [Verb] [Adjective] with [Instrument] Piggy banks break open with a hammer [Patient] [Verb] [Adverb] Copper rods bend easily | Cotton clothes dry easily | Crystal vases break easily | Idaho potatoes bake beautifully [Patient] [Verb] to / into [Oblique, state] Glasses break to pieces [Patient] [Verb] to / into [Oblique, state] with [Instrument] Glasses break to pieces with a rock
Verbs of Change of State (with the same syntax): abase, abate, abbreviate, abrade, abridge, accelerate, acetify, acidify, activate, advance, age, agglomerate, air, alkalify, alter, ameliorate, americanize, amplify, anesthetize, anglicize, animate, apostatize, atomize, attenuate, augment, awake, awaken, balance, beautify, bedew, bifurcate, bisect, blacken, blast, bleach, bloody, blunt, blur, bolshevize, botch, brighten, broaden, burn, burst, calcify, capacitate, capsize, caramelize, carbonize, castrate, categorize, catholicize, cauterize, change, char, cheapen, chill, chlorinate, christianize, circumcise, civilize, clean, clear, clog, close, clouded, coagulate, coarsen, collapse, collect, commercialize, compress, condense, constrict, constringe, construct, contract, cool, correct, corrode, corrugate, corrupt, cremate, crimson, crisp, crumble, crystallize, curdle, dampen, darken, de-escalate, deafen, decelerate, decentralize, decrease, deepen, deflate, defrost, degenerate, degrade, dehumidify, dehydrate, demagnetize, demobilize, democratize, depressurize, desalinate, desiccate, destabilize, deteriorate, detonate, devalue, diffract, diffuse, dilate, dilute, diminish, dirty, disintegrate, dislocate, disorganize, disperse, dissipate, dissolve, diversify, divide, domesticate, double, drain, dry, dull, ease, effeminate, emaciate, emasculate, embitter, embrocate, empty, emulsify, energize, enhance, enlarge, equalize, equilibrate, eternalize, europeanize, evaporate, even, expand, explode, fade, famish, fatten, federate, feminize, fertilize, fill, firm, flatten, flood, fossilize, fray, freeze, freshen, frost, fructify, fuse, gasify, gelatinize, gladden, granulate, gray, grow, halt, harden, harmonize, hasten, heal, heat, heighten, humidify, hush, hybridize, hydrogenate, ignite, improve, incinerate, increase, incubate, inflate, intensify, invert, iodize, ionize, kindle, laminate, lengthen, lessen, level, levitate, light, lighten, lignify, liquefy, loop, loose, loosen, macerate, magnetize, magnify, mature, mechanize, mellow, melt, mineralize, mobilize, moderate, modernize, modulate, moisten, motorize, muddy, multiply, mute, narrow, nasalize, nationalize, naturalize, neutralize, nitrify, normalize, objectify, obscure, open, operate, ossify, overturn, oxidize, pale, paralyze, pasteurize, perfect, petrify, polarize, polymerize, pop, popularize, proliferate, propagate, publicize, pulverize, purify, purple, putrefy, quadruple, quicken, quiet, quieten, rarefy, reanimate, redden, regularize, rekindle, reopen, reproduce, resuscitate, reverse, revive, ripen, roughen, rupture, saponify, scorch, sear, secularize, sharpen, short, short-circuit, shorten, shrink, shrivel, shush, shut, sicken, silence, silver, singe, sink, slack, slacken, slim, slow, smooth, soak, sober, soften, solidify, sour, sovietize, sprout, stabilize, standardize, steady, steep, steepen, sterilize, stiffen, stratify, strengthen, submerge, subside, sunburn, sweeten, tame, tan, taper, tauten, tense, thaw, thicken, thin, tighten, tilt, tire, topple, toughen, tousle, tranquilize, treble, triple, ulcerate, unionize, urbanize, vaporize, vary, ventilate, vibrate, vitrify, volatilize, vulcanize, wake, waken, warm, weaken, westernize, wet, whiten, widen, worsen, yellow.
- lexical domain: Perceptions - verbs of seeing, hearing, feeling
- synonym of dim: dip
- more generic term: change intensity = increase or decrease in intensity
- become dim or lusterless
- make dim or lusterless
- make dim by comparison or conceal
- become vague or indistinct
Alternative definition of the verb dim
- [transitive] To make something less bright.
- [intransitive] To become darker.
- Dim a.k.a. John Wooldridge: Wing Commander John De Lacy Wooldridge, DSO, DFC and Bar, DFM, was a British film composer.
- read more about John Wooldridge (composer)
- Dim a.k.a. Dimitri Halby is a musical artist.
- read more about Dimitri Halby
- Dim is a fictional character from the 1971 film A Clockwork Orange.
- Dim is a fictional character from the 2006 comedy film Dikkenek.
- Dim is a fictional character from the 1998 film A Bug's Life.
- Dim is a fictional character from the 2007 film Deserted: The Online Microseries.
- "Dim" is the fourth studio album by Japanese rock band The Gazette. It was released on July 15, 2009 in Japan. It includes the three lead up singles: "Guren", "Leech", and "Distress and Coma". The album scored #2 on the Oricon Daily Charts and #5 on the Oricon Weekly Charts, selling 37,797 copies in its first week.
- "DIM" is a composition.
- music by Motoi Sakuraba
- DIM a.k.a. 3,3'-Diindolylmethane: 3,3′-Diindolylmethane or DIM is a compound derived from the digestion of indole-3-carbinol, found in cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage and kale. The reputation of Brassica vegetables as healthy foods rests in part on the activities of diindolylmethane.
- read more about 3,3'-Diindolylmethane
- Dim a.k.a. Dime Language: Dime or Dima is an Afro-Asiatic language spoken in the northern part of the Selamago district in the Southern Nations, Nationalities and Peoples Region of Ethiopia, around Mount Smith. Dime divides into at least two dialects, which include Us'a and Gerfa. It has six case suffixes in addition to an unmarked nominative. It is overwhelmingly suffixing, but uses prefixes for demonstratives and reduplication. Phonologically, it is noteworthy among the Omotic languages for having velar and uvular fricative phonemes. The basic word order is SOV, as in other Omotic languages, indeed as in all the languages of the core of the Ethiopian Language Area.
- also known as Dima
Phrases with Dim
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Dim
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Based Upon the Unabridged Dictionary of Noah Webster : with a Reference Library and Treasury of Facts by Noah Webster, Harry Thurston Peck
— Dim. Eveline. CHRISTIAN NAMES OF WOMEN of.
by Jeanne Mager Stellman
Great Lakes Pollution Prevention Initiative Program key HM - Pollution prevention project initiated by industries/municipalities dim = Pollution prevention being developed with industries/municipality EC . Project funded by Environment Canada ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Dim
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about dim
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the adjective dim:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb dim:
Photos about Dim
Click on an item to view that photo:
Dim and Den Sum Truck - Peggy's Tots
Tator tots with onion soup powder, gruyere cheese, and picked thyme
The onion soup mix had nice toasty bits of onion. The fresh thyme is a nice touch.
Photo credit: Edsel L
View more pictures about Dim sum.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Dim
Click on an item to play that video:
- Dim - Vocabulary Builder 2 - ESL British English Pronunciation
- NEW Volvo V70 / XC70 2009 - ICM / DIM switching language (radio)
Switching language on Volvo V70 2009 using VDASH Gui appl. Change of language is applied in DIM (driver Information Module) and ICM (Infotainment ...
- Learning English Words - suspend, dim, bright - ESL Lesson 242
Learning English through photos. SCRIPT The lights are suspended from the ceiling. The light is dim. The light is bright. A) A light is being mounted on the ...
- Dim - Vocabulary Builder 2 - ESL British English Pronunciation
- C Language 013 Single Dim. Array Population via For Loop
See also the pronunciation examples of Dim!
Quotes about Dim
Scrabble value of D2I1M3
The value of this 3-letter word is 6 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of DIM
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of Dim!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Dim to see it in context!