On this page:
- Definition of the noun directive
- Definition of the adjective directive
- Phrases with Directive
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Directive
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Directive
- Photos about Directive
- Video language resources about Directive
- Quotes about Directive
- Scrabble value of D2I1R1E1C3T1I1V4E1
- Anagrams of DIRECTIVE
- Share this page
Definition of the noun directive
What does directive mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: directives
- a pronouncement encouraging or banning some activity
- example: the boss loves to send us directives
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- more generic words: dictum / pronouncement / say-so = an authoritative declaration
- more specific term: Presidential Directive = a directive issued by the President of the United States
Alternative definition of the noun directive
- An instruction or guideline that indicates how to perform an action or reach a goal.
- An authoritative decision from an official body, which may or may not have binding force.
- [context: European Union law] A form of legislative act addressed to the Member States. The directive binds the Member State to reach certain objectives in their national legislation.
Definition of the adjective directive
What does directive mean as an attribute of a noun?
- showing the way by conducting or leading; imposing direction on
Alternative definition of the adjective directive
- that directs
- serving to direct, indicate, or guide.
- [grammar] relating to the directive case
"Directive" is a musical album of Rchetype.
- released on
- Directive: A directive is a legal act of the European Union, which requires member states to achieve a particular result without dictating the means of achieving that result. It can be distinguished from regulations which are self-executing and do not require any implementing measures. Directives normally leave member states with a certain amount of leeway as to the exact rules to be adopted. Directives can be adopted by means of a variety of legislative procedures depending on their subject matter.
- also known as European Union directive
- Directive: In computer programming, a directive pragma is a language construct that specifies how a compiler should process its input. Directives are not part of the language proper – they are not part of the grammar, and may vary from compiler to compiler – but instead function either as an in-band form of a command-line option, specifying compiler behavior, or are processed by a preprocessor. In some cases directives specify global behavior, while in other cases they only affect a local section, such as a block of programming code. In some cases, such as some C pragmas, directives are optional compiler hints, and may be ignored, but normally they are prescriptive, and must be followed. However, a directive does not perform any action in the language itself, but rather only a change in the behavior of the compiler.
- also known as 編譯程式定向
- Directive is a means.
Phrases with Directive
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Directive
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
RESULTS Coaching Next Steps (2016)
Leading for Growth and Change by Kathryn Kee, Karen Anderson, Vicky Dearing, Frances Shuster
Being directive means that you are in control of all the decisions.
by Paul G Smith
The EU Drinking Water Directive states a mandatory maximum of 0.1μg/l for any pesticide. It is a List 2 Dangerous Substance (see Dangerous Substances Directive). See chlorophenoxyacetic acids. DAF Dissolved air flotation. daily cover, ...
by Margaret R. O'Leary
See also direct con- tact; directive. direct contact A mode of transmission of infection between an infected host and susceptible host. Direct contact occurs when skin or mucous surfaces touch ...
by Market House Books
directive 1. An instruction to carry out certain moneymarket operations, particularly instructions given by the US Federal Reserve Open Market Committee. 2. A legislative decision by the European Union's Council ...
A Universal Alphabet, Grammar, and Language; comprising a scientific classication of the radical elements of discourse, and illustrative translations, to which is added a Dictionary of the Language (1856)
by George EDMONDS (Attorney, of London.)
Adverbs of Number Adverbs of Negation Negatives Tabular - Negatives Copulative Entitive Negatives Copulative Active Negatives Copulative Directive Entitive Negatives Copulative Directive Active Negatives Potential Adverbs ...
by Anttiroiko, Ari-Veikko
• GSM Directive (87/372/EEC) ...
by Kerric Harvey
Presidential Policy Directive 20 was issued by President Barack Obama in October 2012 in an attempt to formulate a coherent strategy on cyber- security with a particular focus on formulating a distinction between “offensive” and “ defensive” ...
CSR, Sustainability, Ethics and Governance by Samuel O. Idowu, Nicholas Capaldi, Matthias S. Fifka, Liangrong Zu, René Schmidpeter
Massimo Costa The 8th European Union Company Law Directive (8th EU Directive) concerning disclosure and transparency represents a regulation, valid through the European Economic Space (EES), on statutory audit of annual accounts ...
An Encyclopedia by Rik W. Hafer
ASYMMETRIC POLICY DIRECTIVE many resources were expended trying to determine what the Federal Reserve was going to do. Once the FOMC had met, Fed Watchers tried to decipher any change in the direction or emphasis of policy ...
by John Fay
An overly directive approach is apt to encourage dependence rather than self- reliance. The opportunities for a supervisor to counsel are frequent and varied. Certainly one of the earliest opportunities is when an employee first arrives on the ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Directive
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Directive
Click on an item to view that photo:
just paint right over everything
Photo credit: Rusty Clark ~ 100K Photos
Signage, Appalachian Trail, Port Clinton, Schuylkill County.
Photo credit: Nicholas_T
- Clear directive
Photo credit: 5eangallagher
- Save the Maternity Directive: let parents choose
Save the Maternity Directive: let parents choose
The European Commission has stated it will withdraw a proposal to review the EU's legislation on maternity leave. Greens/EFA MEPs are trying to put pressure on the Commission to change its mind. This review was supposed to bring the EU's legislation in line with WHO recommendations on what is in the best interests of babies and their parents from a health perspective.
Photo credit: greensefa
Video language resources about Directive
Click on an item to play that video:
- EU Directive - a definition
A legally binding instruction that is agreed by the Council of Ministers and must be passed into law by each member state within a certain period. One example is ...
- Directive Meaning
Video shows what directive means. An instruction or guideline that indicates how to perform an action or reach a goal.. An authoritative decision from an official ...
- Prime directive Meaning
Video shows what prime directive means. An order or mission which presents the overriding control over a course of action.. Prime directive Meaning. How to ...
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = EC Directive
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = EAEC Directive
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = directive
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = Community directive
- The INSPIRE Directive: a brief description
What is the INSPIRE Directive? Through the Infrastructure for Spatial Information in the European Community (INSPIRE), the European Union has created ...
- Using Directive Language to Create Sales
See also the pronunciation examples of Directive!
Quotes about Directive
Personally, I think that for example the chemical directive in its present form does too much damage to the chemical industry - especially the medium sized businesses - and will hurt our worldwide competitiveness. (Angela Merkel)
more quotes about directive...
Scrabble value of D2I1R1E1C3T1I1V4E1
The value of this 9-letter word is 15 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of DIRECTIVE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Directive!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Directive to see it in context!