On this page:
- Definition of the verb discern
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Discern
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Discern
- Usage statistics about discern
- Photos about Discern
- Video language resources about Discern
- Quotes about Discern
- Scrabble value of D2I1S1C3E1R1N1
- Anagrams of DISCERN
- Share this page
Discern (to perceive or recognize) is considered to be an advanced word, according to the Kaplan GRE Exam Vocabulary in a Box, which includes 500 college- and graduate-level words that frequently appear on the Graduate Record Exam.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the verb discern
What does discern mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: discerned | discerning | discerns
- detect with the senses
- examples: It is hard to discern between the true and the false. | The inky litre of blueberry juice needed something else to make it taste better, but he could not discern what that something could be. | However, when listening to an unknown foreign language, our ability to discern different words is lost, and we recognize speech as being a stream of sounds without many pauses. | He can't discern fact from fiction.
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Experiencer - being] [Verb] [Stimulus] I saw the play | The crew spotted the island [Experiencer - being] [Verb] [Stimulus] [Predicate, object control with bare infinitive] I saw her bake the cake [Experiencer - being] [Verb] [Stimulus] [Predicate, object control with -ing] I saw him laughing [Experiencer - being] [Verb] [Stimulus] in [Oblique] I sensed the eagerness in him [Experiencer - being] [Verb] [Stimulus, how-extraction] I saw how he arrived [Experiencer - being] [Verb] [Stimulus, possessive with -ing] I saw their laughing and joking [Experiencer - being] [Verb] [Stimulus, that-complement clause] I can see that you are feeling great [Experiencer - being] [Verb] [Stimulus, what-extraction] I saw what they did
- lexical domain: Perceptions - verbs of seeing, hearing, feeling
- synonyms of discern: distinguish / make out / pick out / recognise / recognize / spot / tell apart
- more specific words:
- entailment: comprehend / perceive = to become aware of through the senses
Alternative definition of the verb discern
- [transitive] To detect with the senses, especially with the eyes.
- [transitive] To perceive, recognize, or comprehend with the mind; to descry.
- [transitive] To distinguish something as being different from something else; to differentiate.
- [intransitive] To perceive differences.
Definition of the verb discern for high school students
- to perceive, detect
- example: Though he hid his emotions, she discerned from his body language that he was angry.
The verb discern is considered to be a word that all college-aspiring students should know and understand, so it frequently appears on the SAT, ACT and other college admissions tests.
"Discern" is a composition.
- music and lyrics by Inch Chua
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Discern
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Papers in the Wind (2014)
by Eduardo Sacheri
“Discern means seeing something...
Discovering the Seer in You (2011)
Exploring Your Prophetic Gifts by James W. Goll
To discern means to see —whether it be divine spirits, evil spirits, the human spirit, or even the discerning of the similitude of God.9 The gift of discerning spirits is the Godgiven ability or enablement to recognize the identity (and very often ...
HOW TO CHOOSE A RELIGION (1987)
by K. Sri Dhammananda
People can discover many things in this world but the most difficult thing for them to discern is the truth or reality of all compounded things. We should not depend on speculative rumours to understand the truth. We may accept certain things as ...
by Tammy Hoffmann, Sally Bennett, Christopher Del Mar
DISCERN is a questionnaire designed to assess the quality of written information on treatment ...
Weimar and Nazi Germany (2014)
Continuities and Discontinuities by Panikos Panayi
There is, however, considerable uncertainty about what kind of changes in the texture of German society were actually intended; and even more difficult to discern is the extent to which these plans were made reality by the Nazi leadership.
by Paul Morris
Knowing about Bible background information culled from rabbinic sources The key thing to discern is the value being given to ...
Encyclopaedia Perthensis; Or Universal Dictionary of the Arts, Sciences, Literature, &c. Intended to Supersede the Use of Other Books of Reference (1816)
— What doth better become wisdom to discern what is worthy the loving \ Sidney. You should be rul'd and led By some discretion, that discerns your state Better than yourself. Shakes. King Lear. f .
With Topical Index by W. E. Vine, Merrill Unger
DISCERN, DISCERNER, DISCERNMENT A. Verbs. 1. anakrino (350), “to distinguish, or separate out so as to investigate (krino) by looking throughout ( ana, intensive) objects or particulars,” hence signifies “to examine, scrutinize, question, ...
by William D. Mounce
Alternate translations such as “perceive, discern” may more readily capture the nuance of the term. See understand. New Testament Verb: (diakrin), GK 1359 (S 1252), 19x. diakrin means “to judge, distinguish, evaluate.” When applied to ...
by W.E Vine, Rev Terry Kulakowski, Editor
DISCERN,. DISCERNER,. DISCERNMENT. A. Verbs. 1. (, 350), “to distinguish, or separate out so as to investigate () by looking throughout (, intensive) objects or particulars,” hence signifies “to examine, scrutinize, question, to hold a ...
by Elizabeth Jewell
discern (could distinguish two voices) ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Discern
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about discern
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb discern:
Photos about Discern
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: benjaflynn
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Discern
Click on an item to play that video:
See also the pronunciation examples of Discern!
Quotes about Discern
Scrabble value of D2I1S1C3E1R1N1
The value of this 7-letter word is 10 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.Couldn't select: Got error 28 from storage engine