On this page:
- Definition of the noun disconnect
- Definition of the verb disconnect
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Disconnect
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Disconnect
- Usage statistics about disconnect
- Photos about Disconnect
- Video language resources about Disconnect
- Quotes about Disconnect
- Scrabble value of D2I1S1C3O1N1N1E1C3T1
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun disconnect
What does disconnect mean as a name of something?
- an unbridgeable disparity (as from a failure of understanding)
Alternative definition of the noun disconnect
- A break or interruption in an existing connection, continuum, or process; disconnection.
- synonym: disconnector
- A switch used to isolate a portion of an electrical circuit.
- A lack of connection or accord; a mismatch.
- [Scientology] The deliberate severing of ties with family, friends, etc. considered antagonistic towards Scientology.
Definition of the verb disconnect
What does disconnect mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: disconnected | disconnecting | disconnects
- pull the plug of (electrical appliances) and render inoperable
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula Verbs with the same syntax [Agent - being or machine] [Verb] [Patient] I unscrewed the handle Verbs of Disassembling: carve, detach, disassemble, dismantle, dismount, pare, partition, segregate, sift, slice, sunder, unbolt, unbuckle, unbutton, unchain, unclasp, unclip, unfasten, unhinge, unhitch, unhook, unlace, unleash, unlock, unpin, unscrew, unseal, unstaple, untie, unzip [Agent - being or machine] [Verb] [Patient 1] from [Patient 2] I unscrewed the handle from the box [Patient - concrete object, plural] [Verb] [Adverb] That new handle unscrews easily [Agent - being] [Verb] [Patient, plural] I separated the yolk and the white Verbs of Separating: dissociate, part, separate [Agent - being] [Verb] [Patient 1] from [Patient 2] I separated the yolk from the white [Patient, plural] [Verb] The yolk and the white separated [Patient, plural] [Verb] [Adverb] Egg yolks and egg whites separate easily [Patient 1] [Verb] [Adverb] from [Patient 2] Cream separates easily from milk [Patient 1] [Verb] with [Patient 2] The yoke parted with the white
- lexical domain: Contact - verbs of touching, hitting, tying, digging
- synonym of disconnect: unplug
- more generic word: undo = cancel, annul, or reverse an action or its effect
- make disconnected, disjoin or unfasten
- syntax: the same syntax as for the sense 1
- lexical domain: Contact - verbs of touching, hitting, tying, digging
- antonym: connect
- more generic words: disunite / divide / part / separate = force, take, or pull apart
- more specific words:
Alternative definition of the verb disconnect
- [transitive] To sever or interrupt a connection.
- [intransitive] To become detached or withdrawn.
- [transitive] To remove the connection between an appliance and an electrical power source.
- "Disconnect" is a 2012 American drama film directed by Henry Alex Rubin and stars an ensemble cast, which includes Jason Bateman, Hope Davis, Frank Grillo, Andrea Riseborough, Paula Patton, Michael Nyqvist, Alexander Skarsgård, Max Thieriot and fashion designer Marc Jacobs in his debut acting role.
- also known as Nepovezano, 斷線, 斷了線, 失聯, 掉線, Prekinuta veza
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- producers: William Horberg, Mickey Liddell, Jennifer Hilton
- executive producers: Bradford Simpson, Scott Ferguson, Marc Forster
- production design by Dina Goldman
- art direction by Jennifer Dehghan
- written by Andrew Stern
- casting by Billy Hopkins & Deanna Brigidi-Stewart
- cinematography by Ken Seng
- edited by Lee Percy & Kevin Tent
- music by Max Richter
- costume design by Catherine George
- set decoration by Amanda Carroll
- genres: Thriller, Drama
- released in
- official website: www.disconnectthemovie.com
- "Disconnect" is a 2010 drama mystery film directed and written by Robin Christian.
- "Disconnect" a.k.a. "Disconnect: Cell Phones & Cancer" is a film, directed by Kevin Kunze.
- read more about Disconnect: Cell Phones & Cancer
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Disconnect
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
How Engaging Workspaces Lead to Transformation and Growth by Rex Miller, Mabel Casey, Mark Konchar
” That disconnect is a leading cause of disengagement, and a disengaged workforce cannot drive ...
21st Century Geography (2011)
by Joseph P. Stoltman
Backyard Spaces Not surprisingly, one of the weaknesses of the rural– urban explanation for the millennial disconnect is that it implies that nature is “out there” in the countryside and that migration to the cities is solely to blame for this new, ...
by Martin H. Weik
discrimination 287 disconnect. In telephony, the release of a switched circuit, that is, the disassociation of two stations or of a calling party and a called party after a call is finished. disconnect command (DISC). In a data communication network, ...
Encyclopedia of Engineering (1906)
A Treatise on Boilers, Steam Engines, the Locomotive, Electricity, Machine Shop Practice, Air Brake Practice, Engineer's Catechism, Gas, Oil, Traction and Automobile Motors, Refrigeration by Calvin Franklin Swingle
If tests are not made until fixtures have been connected, it is often necessary to disconnect them again to determine whether a fault is in the fixture or in the wiring. Where there are several fixtures on one circuit and a short circuit should be ...
One fused disconnect switch was missing its fuses and the aluminum wiring previously attached to it had been cut off (Photograph 50). Heat damage was found on the cut-off wires (Photograph 51). The manufacturer's label on the inside of the ...
by John E. Traister
Figure D-17: Typical disconnect switch. dispersion: Holding fine particles in suspension throughout a second substance. displacement current: An expression for the effective current flow across a capacitor. dissipation factor: Energy lost when ...
by Matthew W. Robinson
Disconnect. &. Swivel. A quickdisconnect (QD)coupling could be placedon the low pressure hose that connects thefullface mask to the air supply. The QD should bepositioned within in about 2.5 to 3 feet (0.76 to 0.91 meters) from the mask ...
Encyclopedia of railroading (1910)
First remove the steam-chest head, then disconnect the valve stem. Take the valve out of the valve chamber, place the two heads together; canvas should then be wrapped around the spool of the valve and the valve again placed in the ...
Symbols, Signs, and Meanings by J.M. DeBord
Floating through the air can symbolize the high experienced from drugs such as opioids and cannabis, or the desire to disconnect the mind from the body. When dreams use this meaning of the symbolism, it is accompanied often by your ...
by Elaine Costello
disconnect e. To break or interrupt the connection of or between: to disconnect the phone. Same sign used for: detach, let go, loose, part from, release, withdraw. □ [Demonstrates releasing of a connection] Beginning with the ...
by Thomas Fenby
free, loose, liberate, separate, extricate, disentangle, detach, withdraw, wean, isolate, unfasten, unfetter, disconnect. To DISENTANGLE («.) — unravel, unfold, untwist, free, extricate, disengage, disembarrass, liberate, unfasten. To DISFIGURE ...
free, loose, liberate, separate, extricate, disentangle, detach, withdraw, wean, isolate, unfasten, unfetter, disconnect. To Disentangle (v.) — unravel, unfold, untwist, free, extricate, disengage, disembarrass, liberate, unfasten. To Disfigure ( v.) ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Disconnect
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about disconnect
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun disconnect:
Comparison of usage frequency between the verb disconnect and its most common antonym:
Photos about Disconnect
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: cogdogblog
Stillman St, San Francisco
Photo credit: thepatrick
Photo credit: Vitorcius
vivitar ultra wide & slim | dnp centuria 200
Photo credit: Charley Lhasa
Photo credit: Beshef
- YPAL Disconnect Line Side
Photo credit: jblevine2004
- Brand disconnect
Photo credit: Paul Papadimitriou
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Disconnect
Click on an item to play that video:
- Disconnect Meaning
Video shows what disconnect means. A break or interruption in an existing connection, continuum, or process; disconnection.. A switch used to isolate a portion ...
- Success Disconnect | A New Definition for SUCCESS
Based on the book by the same name, in this series host Bill Connolly interviews individuals who have achieved unique success, and helps viewers identify a ...
- "Disconnect between narrow definition of aid and reality of people's lives"
- Disconnect to Connect via Facebook -- A boon for an engaging language learners
See also the pronunciation examples of Disconnect!
Quotes about Disconnect
If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is compromise. (Robert Fritz)
more quotes about disconnect...
Scrabble value of D2I1S1C3O1N1N1E1C3T1
The value of this 10-letter word is 15 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Disconnect to see it in context!