On this page:
- Definition of the noun disease
- Definition of the verb disease
- Phrases with Disease
- Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Disease
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Disease
- Photos about Disease
- Video language resources about Disease
- Sign language
- Quotes about Disease
- Scrabble value of D2I1S1E1A1S1E1
- Anagrams of DISEASE
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun disease
What does disease mean as a name of something?
Disease is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: diseases
- an impairment of health or a condition of abnormal functioning
- examples: Life is a fatal sexually transmitted disease. | Tension is a major cause of heart disease. | Disease and famine go together. | A curious disease struck the town. | We should check the spread of the disease. | Eating too much fat is supposed to cause heart disease. | The office for disease control reported a 10 percent spread. | Too much alcohol may result in gastric disease. | In medical research, one of the first problems is to isolate the cause of the disease. | The doctor can cure your son of the disease.
- lexical domain: States - nouns denoting stable states of affairs
- more generic words: illness / malady / sickness / unwellness = impairment of normal physiological function affecting part or all of an organism
- more specific terms:
- disease of the neuromuscular junction = a disease characterized by impairment of neuromuscular junctions
- aspergillosis = disease especially in agricultural workers caused by inhalation of Aspergillus spores causing lumps in skin and ears and respiratory organs
- anthrax = a disease of humans that is not communicable
- blackwater = any of several human or animal diseases characterized by dark urine resulting from rapid breakdown of red blood cells
- cat scratch disease = a disease thought to be transmitted to humans by a scratch from a cat
- complication = any disease or disorder that occurs during the course of (or because of) another disease
- crud = an ill-defined bodily ailment
- endemic disease / endemic = a disease that is constantly present to a greater or lesser degree in people of a certain class or in people living in a particular location
- enteropathy = a disease of the intestinal tract
- incompetence = inability of a part or organ to function properly
- mucocutaneous lymph node syndrome / Kawasaki disease = an acute disease of young children characterized by a rash and swollen lymph nodes and fever
- pycnosis / pyknosis = a degenerative state of the cell nucleus
- boutonneuse fever / Indian tick fever / Marseilles fever / Kenya fever = a disease (common in India and around the Mediterranean area) caused by a rickettsia that is transmitted to humans by a reddish brown tick (ixodid) that lives on dogs and other mammals
- Meniere's disease = a disease of the inner ear characterized by episodes of dizziness and tinnitus and progressive hearing loss
- milk sickness = caused by consuming milk from cattle suffering from trembles
- mimesis = any disease that shows symptoms characteristic of another disease
- occupational disease / industrial disease = disease or disability resulting from conditions of employment
- onychosis = any disease or disorder of the nails
- rheumatism = any painful disorder of the joints or muscles or connective tissues
- periarteritis nodosa / polyarteritis nodosa = a progressive disease of connective tissue that is characterized by nodules along arteries
- periodontal disease / periodontitis = a disease that attacks the gum and bone and around the teeth
- liver disease = a disease affecting the liver
- communicable disease = a disease that can be communicated from one person to another
- roseola infantilis / exanthema subitum / roseola infantum / pseudorubella = a viral disease of infants and young children; characterized by abrupt high fever and mild sore throat
- respiratory disorder / respiratory disease / respiratory illness = a disease affecting the respiratory system
- hereditary condition / genetic abnormality / congenital disease / hereditary disease / inherited disorder / inherited disease / genetic disorder / genetic disease / genetic defect = a disease or disorder that is inherited genetically
- inflammatory disease = a disease characterized by inflammation
- autoimmune disorder / autoimmune disease = any of a large group of diseases characterized by abnormal functioning of the immune system that causes your immune system to produce antibodies against your own tissues
- deficiency disease = any disease caused by a lack of an essential nutrient
- fibrocystic disease of the breast / fibrocystic breast disease / cystic breast disease / cystic mastitis = the presence of one or more cysts in a breast
- thyromegaly / goiter / goitre / struma = abnormally enlarged thyroid gland
- pappataci fever / sandfly fever / phlebotomus = a mild viral disease transmitted by the bite of the sand fly Phlebotomus papatasii
- disease of the skin / skin disorder / skin disease = a disease affecting the skin
- malignance / malignancy = a malignant state
- eye disease = any disease of the eye
- animal disease = a disease that typically does not affect human beings
- plant disease = a disease that affects plants
- ozaena / ozena = a chronic disease of the nose characterized by a foul-smelling nasal discharge and atrophy of nasal structures
- filariasis = a disease caused by nematodes in the blood or tissues of the body causing blockage of lymphatic vessels
Alternative definition of the noun disease
- [pathology] An abnormal condition of the body or mind that causes discomfort or dysfunction; distinct from injury insofar as the latter is usually instantaneously acquired.
- synonym: illness
- [by extension] Any abnormal or harmful condition, as of society, people's attitudes, way of living etc.
- synonym: malady
Definition of the verb disease
What does disease mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: diseased | diseasing | diseases
- [obsolete] To cause unease; to annoy, irritate.
- To infect with a disease.
- "Disease" is the second studio album by the industrial/horror techno band G.G.F.H.. This album saw the band take a more techno approach, pushing aside the sludgier sound of their earlier material. The album features three of the tracks recorded for the Reality EP, albeit in a more techno-inspired form.
- artist: G.G.F.H.
- released in (22 years ago)
- "Disease" is a musical album of Regenerator.
- released in (10 years ago)
- "Disease" is a musical EP of Matchbox Twenty.
- released in (13 years ago)
- "Disease" is a composition.
- "Disease" is a musical single of Marina Sirtis & Marina Siertis.
- released in (9 years ago)
- "Disease" a.k.a. "Desease" is a musical EP of Bardoseneticcube.
- released in (16 years ago)
Phrases with Disease
- eye disease
- Meb Disease
- tin disease
- leaf disease
- loco disease
- lyme disease
- pink disease
- ring disease
- skin disease
- wilt disease
- black disease
- blood disease
- brain disease
- Fifth disease
- gland disease
- heart disease
- kakke disease
- liver disease
- plant disease
- sachs disease
View more phrases with the word Disease in thesaurus!
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Disease
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Oral health : dental disease is a chronic problem among lowincome populations : report to congressional requesters
Dental disease is a chronic problem among low-income populations. Key markers of dental health and the use of services for dental problems, such as untreated caries and lost teeth, show that low-income populations bear a disproportionate ...
by Courtney Cumbart
Heart disease is a serious threat to human health because the cardiovascular system is of critical importance in the...
by Ann Ehrlich, Carol L. Schroeder, Laura Ehrlich, Katrina A. Schroeder
Although Alzheimer's disease is the primary cause of dementia, vascular dementia accounts for about 10 to 20% of all cases. n...
by David M. Yousem
Kikuchi disease is an inflammatory adenitis that is common in Japan. Affected patients have fever, enlarged necrotic nodes, rash, and headaches. 4. A. Kimura disease is a chronic inflammatory process with associated diffuse hypervascular ...
How to Detect Disease in Your Energy Field Before It Manifests in Your Body by Christina L. Ross, PhD, BCPP
Chronic disease is an opportunity to improve our quality of life. Incurable diseases such as heart disease, cancer, HIV/AIDS, and...
by James M. Rippe
Although heart disease is an equal-opportunity killer, many people, men and women alike, continue to think that heart...
5 Books in 1 by Fred F. Ferri
DEFINITION Von Willebrand's disease is a congenital disorder of hemostasis characterized by defective or deficient von Willebrand factor (vWF).
Acquired von Willebrand's disease is a rare disorder that usually occurs in elderly patients and usually presents with...
GENERAL Rx • The mainstay of treatment in von Willebrand's disease is the replacement of the deficient protein at the time of spontaneous ...
by Robert H. Seller, Andrew B. Symons
Benign breast disease is a continuum of entities, from fibroadenoma and cysts with atypia to cystic changes with marked atypia. The most common breast lesions are fibrocystic breasts, fibroadenomas, breast cancer, mastitis (especially in ...
by Hunter Manasco
Alzheimer's disease is a cortical dementia that is the most common cause of dementia. Alzheimer's disease is a progressive and fatal disease with no known treatments to stop or slow its progression.
by Ernest Holmes
Disease Is Impersonal The word disease means lack of ease — dis-ease.
Focus on Neuroimaging (2009)
by Patricio S. Espinosa, Charles D. Smith
Canavan disease is an autosomic recessive disorder that is characterized by megalencephaly, seizures, spasticity, ...
by Alicia J. Jenkins, Peter P. Toth, Timothy J. Lyons
Cardiovascular disease is the largest single cause of premature mortality in developed nations and it is increasing as such in developing and emerging...
Cardiovascular disease is the commonest cause of death of adults with diabetes [ 1].
5 Books in 1 by Fred F. Ferri
DEFINITION Von Willebrand's disease is a congenital disorder of hemostasis characterized by defective or deficient von Willebrand factor (vWF).
Acquired von Willebrand's disease is a rare disorder that usually occurs in elderly patients and usually presents with mucocutaneous...
Encyclopedia of the Yoruba (2016)
by Toyin Falola, Akintunde Akinyemi
Akíntúndé Akínyẹmí dIsease Strictly speaking, a disease is an impairment of health or a condition of abnormal functioning that renders a person unable to perform or...
Disease refers to disorderliness in the cosmos.
In other words, disease is a hostile influence and agency that besets humans from the cradle to the grave.
by Lynn Wecker, Stephanie Watts, Carl Faingold, George Dunaway, Lynn Crespo
Parkinson's disease is a progressive neurodegenerative disorder caused by a loss of dopamine (DA) neurons in the...
. . . At Any Age by Donald Vickery, Larry Matson, Carol Vickery
Chronic disease is the leading cause of death and disability, responsible for seven out of...
Rubin's Pathology (2011)
Clinicopathologic Foundations of Medicine by Raphael Rubin, David S. Strayer, Emanuel Rubin
Lyme disease is a chronic systemic infection that begins with a characteristic skin lesion and later manifests as cardiac,
Lyme disease is a growing problem in the United States, where it is the most common tick-borne illness, causing an ...
The Chiropractor (1994)
by D. D. Palmer
Disease is a disturbed condition, functions performed abnormally, in too great a degree or not enough; it is not something foreign to the body which by some means...
Disease is the result of releasing too much or not enough stored energy .
Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management, Expert Consult Premium Edition - Enhanced Online Features by Mark Feldman, Lawrence S. Friedman, Lawrence J. Brandt
TANGIER DISEASE Tangier disease is an autosomal recessive disorder characterized by accumulation of cholesterol...
Gaucher's disease is a rare, usually autosomal recessive deficiency of the enzyme acid ...
How to stay healthy before, during and beyond the menopause by Marilyn Glenville
Cardiovascular disease is the biggest killer, so you want to put the emphasis onkeeping your heart healthy; and one in two women will get osteoporosis, soyou need to keep your bones in good shape (see chapter 15). In this chapterI will cover ...
by CIBA Foundation Symposium
Cardiovascular disease is the major cause of death and disability in the elderly. Atherosclerotic coronary heart disease is the most prevalent problem, followed by hypertensive cardiovascular disease ...
Technique, Diagnosis, and Clinical Applications by Antonello Trecca
Introduction Celiac disease is a permanent autoimmune enteropathy that is triggered, in genetically determined...
Celiac disease is the most common food intolerance worldwide and its reported incidence is increasing annually. Although ...
Lysosomal Storage Diseases (2010)
Early Diagnosis and New Treatments by Rossella Parini, Generoso Andria
Gaucher disease is a clinically heterogeneous disorder and it is traditionally classified as type 1 (non-neuronopathic...
by Stephen Hauser
SHAH, MD Epidemiology and Clinical Spectrum Public Health Significance Alcoholic liver disease is a major cause of morbidity and mortality worldwide. Globally, approximately 2 billion people ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Disease
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Disease
Click on an item to view that photo:
Its like a cancer, or as already pointed out, bad acne.
Photo credit: tourist_on_earth
Photo credit: mikecogh
Photo credit: erix!
Photo credit: Erik Starck
- Ash Disease
Forestry Commission. Ho ckhan Fen. TM o4169410
Photo credit: gailhampshire
- Tree disease
Photo credit: dimsis
- Checking salmon for disease
DFG pathologist checks spawning salmon and egg batches for any sign of disease at each hatchery. California Department of Fish and Game photo by Harry Morse.
Photo credit: CaliforniaDFW
- A mysterious disease
Photo credit: wwhyte1968
- Butternut Disease
Diseased butternut tree in Governor Dodge State Park.
Photo credit: Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources
View more pictures about skin disease.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Disease
Click on an item to play that video:
- Vocabulary health and disease 1
- The Germ Theory of Disease: Definition & Louis Pasteur
- The Metaphysical Meaning of Disease (Introduction)
Contents: A brief intro on a FREE video series to find the deeper meaning and purpose of an illness or imbalance. Facebook Fan Page: ...
- What is Alzheimer's Disease Definition
What is Alzheimer's Disease Definition. All About Alzheimer's Disease...
- Disease Meaning
Video shows what disease means. An abnormal condition of the body or mind that causes discomfort or dysfunction; distinct from injury insofar as the latter is ...
- Kienbock's disease Meaning
Video shows what Kienbock's disease means. A painful disease of the wrist that results from loss of circulation to the lunate bone.. Kienbock's disease ...
- Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Graves disease, and Endemic Goiter Explanation
Discussion of thyroid pathophysiology and physiology. Watch more videos below: Why Disability Adjusted Life Years Reflects Burden of Disease at ...
- Parkinson's disease Meaning
Video shows what Parkinson's disease means. A chronic neurological disorder resulting in lack of control over movement; poor balance and coordination; and ...
- Bright's disease Meaning
Video shows what Bright's disease means. Any of several diseases of the kidney characterized by inflammation, and the presence of albumin in the urine; ...
- Johne's disease Meaning
Video shows what Johne's disease means. A chronic, contagious and often fatal disease of cattle, sheep and goats, caused by the intestinal bacterium ...
- Graves' disease Meaning
Video shows what Graves' disease means. Hyperthyroidism accompanied by protrusion of the eyeballs.. Graves' disease synonyms: exophthalmic goiter, ...
- The Meaning of Islands, the Genesis of Disease & the Wonders of Botany (1997)
The Island of the Colorblind is a book by neurologist Oliver Sacks about achromatopsia on the Micronesian atoll of Pingelap. The second half of the book is ...
- Lumpy Louise - An explanation of Dercum's Disease
Meet Louise and an explanation of the rare disorder she suffers from, Dercum's Disease.
- Hansen's disease Meaning
Video shows what Hansen's disease means. The disease leprosy, caused by infection by Mycobacterium leprae.. Hansen's disease Meaning. How to ...
- The Meaning of Mitochondrial Disease
What does it mean to be living with Mitochondrial Disease? MitoAction is a Boston based nonprofit dedicated to improving quality of life for the thousands of ...
- Meniere's Disease: A definition from a patients perspective
Meniere's Disease: A definition from a patients perspective.
- Kimura disease Meaning
Video shows what Kimura disease means. A rare benign chronic inflammatory disorder whose primary symptoms are subdermal lesions in the head or neck or ...
- Marie's disease Meaning
Video shows what Marie's disease means. The disease acromegaly.. The disease hypertrophic pulmonary osteoarthropathy.. Marie's disease synonyms: ...
- Pott's disease Meaning
Video shows what Pott's disease means. A presentation of extrapulmonary tuberculosis that affects the spine, a kind of tuberculous arthritis of the intervertebral ...
- Addison's disease Meaning
Video shows what Addison's disease means. A disorder in which the adrenal glands fail to produce a sufficient quantity of steroids, causing a brownish ...
- Now 10 Dead - Deadly LEGIONNAIRES DISEASE Ravage NEW YORK | UPDATES See 'DESCRIPTION'
- Disease - Disorder - Illness - Ailment - The Difference - ESL British English Pronunciation
- Aimee Pierce - Alzheimer's Disease and Language
UCI MIND Presents: 25th Annual Southern California Alzheimer's Disease Research Conference September 12, 2014 University of California, Irvine.
- 63 Disease Symptoms : Module 3 : English Language Training
Module 3 : English Language Training English & Hindi 1 ) To introduce the user to fundamental information related to Numbers, Alphabets, Names of Months ...
- What Is The Definition Of Bowen disease Medical Dictionary Free Online
what is the definition of medical terminology, medical dictionary, medical dictionary free download, medical terminology made easy, medical terminology song ...
- What Is The Definition Of Dercum disease - Medical Dictionary Free Online
- What Is The Definition Of Alzheimer disease early onset familial (Medical Dictionary Online)
what is the definition of Alzheimer's disease: A progressive degenerative disease of the brain that leads to dementia. On a cellular level, Alzheimer's disease is ...
- What Is The Definition Of Addison disease Medical Dictionary Free Online
what is the definition of Addison disease: Long-term underfunction of the outer portion of the adrenal gland. In medical terms, chronic insufficiency of the adrenal ...
- Dreadful BAT!! Disease AFRICA - EBOLA | See 'DESCRIPTION'
View more videos about eye disease, Fifth disease, heart disease, kidney disease, caisson disease, genetic disease, Kawasaki disease, Newcastle disease, Infectious disease, Ebola virus disease, Heart valve disease, respiratory disease, Sickle cell disease, Cardiovascular disease, Coronary Artery Disease, and Degenerative disc disease.
See also the pronunciation examples of Disease!
Strike out against American Sign Language (Lou Gehrig's disease)
Quotes about Disease
Scrabble value of D2I1S1E1A1S1E1
The value of this 7-letter word is 8 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of DISEASE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Disease!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Disease to see it in context!