On this page:
Definition of the verb disgorge
What does disgorge mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: disgorged | disgorging | disgorges
- cause or allow (a solid substance) to flow or run out or over
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - intentional control or organization] [Verb] [Theme] Doug removed the smudges | The men mined the gold [Agent - intentional control or organization] [Verb] [Theme] from / out / out of / off / off of [Source] Brian wiped the fingerprints from the counter | Carla shoveled the snow from the walk | Doug removed the smudges from the tabletop
Verbs of Removing (with the same syntax): abolish, abstract, cull, deduct, delete, depose, discharge, disengage, dislodge, dismiss, draw, eject, eliminate, eradicate, evict, excise, excommunicate, expel, extirpate, extract, extrude, lop, omit, ostracize, oust, partition, pry, reap, remove, retract, separate, sever, shoo, subtract, uproot, winkle, withdraw, wrench.
- lexical domain: Contact - verbs of touching, hitting, tying, digging
- synonyms of disgorge: shed / spill
- more generic words: displace / move = cause to move or shift into a new position or place, both in a concrete and in an abstract sense
- more specific word: seed = go to seed
- eject the contents of the stomach through the mouth
- lexical domain: Body Actions - verbs of grooming, dressing and bodily care
- synonyms of disgorge: barf / be sick / cast / cat / chuck / honk / puke / purge / regorge / regurgitate / retch / sick / spew / spue / throw up / upchuck / vomit / vomit up
- more generic words: egest / eliminate / excrete / pass = eliminate from the body
Alternative definition of the verb disgorge
- To vomit or spew, to discharge.
- To surrender (stolen goods or money, for example) unwillingly.
- [context: oenology] To remove traces of yeast from sparkling wine by the méthode champenoise.
- Disgorge is a death metal band from San Diego, California, formed in 1992.
- Disgorge is a Mexican goregrind band.
- genres: Death metal, Deathgrind, Goregrind
- albums: "Chronic Corpora Infest", "Forensick", "Gorelics", "Necrholocaust", "Gore Blessed to the Worms", "Grind Your Fucking Head"
- official website: disgorge-mex.com
- Disgorge is a musical group.
- album: "Gorge This"
There are other groups with in their name, like Intestinal Disgorge.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Disgorge
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
London Encyclopaedia; Or, Universal Dictionary of Science, Art, Literature and Practical Mechanics (1829)
Comprising a Popular View of the Present State of Knowledge
DISGORGE, v.a. Fr. degorger, from gorge, the throat. To discharge by the mouth; vomit; • pour out violently. So, so, thou common dog, didst ...
by Oxford Dictionaries,
disgorge. knowledge about, or become aware of. 3 be the first to find or observe something. discovery noun (plural discoveries) 1 the action of discovering. 2 a person or thing discovered. discredit verb (discredits, discrediting, discredited) 1 ...
by Oxford University Press
a new and original work presenting ... every word in the English language ... and an exhaustive encyclopaedia of all the arts and sciences by Robert Hunter, Charles Morris
didst thou disgorge Thy glutton bosom of the royal Richard T" Shakesp. ; 2 U-nrylV., L S. 2. To eject or emit with violence ; to discharge violently. " The dim-wood glen The martial flood disgorged agen." Scott : Lady o/ ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Disgorge
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about disgorge
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb disgorge:
Photos about Disgorge
Click on an item to view that photo:
Guppy prepares to disgorge
Shuttle Trainer Delivery, Museum of Flight, Seattle
Photo credit: striatic
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about Disgorge
Video shows what disgorge means. To vomit or spew, to discharge.. To surrender (stolen goods or money, for example) unwillingly.. To remove traces of yeast ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Disgorge!
Scrabble value of D2I1S1G2O1R1G2E1
The value of this 8-letter word is 11 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.Couldn't select: Got error 28 from storage engine