The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb disguise:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun disguise
- Definition of the verb disguise
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Disguise
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Disguise
- Photos about Disguise
- Video language resources about Disguise
- Sign language
- Quotes about Disguise
- Scrabble value of D2I1S1G2U1I1S1E1
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun disguise
What does disguise mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: disguises
- an outward semblance that misrepresents the true nature of something
- example: the theatrical notion of disguise is always associated with catastrophe in his stories
- lexical domain: Attributes - nouns denoting attributes of people and objects
- synonym of disguise: camouflage
- more generic words: color / colour / gloss / semblance = an outward or token appearance or form that is deliberately misleading
- any attire that modifies the appearance in order to conceal the wearer's identity
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- more generic words: attire / dress / garb = clothing of a distinctive style or for a particular occasion
- more specific terms:
- the act of concealing the identity of something by modifying its appearance
Alternative definition of the noun disguise
- An attire (e.g. clothing) used to hide one's identity or assume another.
- synonym: camouflage
- [figuratively] The appearance of something on the outside which masks what's beneath.
- synonym: guise
- The act of disguising, notably as a ploy
- synonym: mask
Definition of the verb disguise
What does disguise mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: disguised | disguising | disguises
- make unrecognizable
- examples: We disguised our faces before robbing the bank | They disguise themselves
- lexical domain: Perceptions - verbs of seeing, hearing, feeling
- synonym of disguise: mask
- more generic words: conceal / hide = prevent from being seen or discovered
- more specific words:
Alternative definition of the verb disguise
- [transitive] To change the appearance of (a person or thing) so as to hide, or to assume an identity.
- synonym: cloak
- [transitive] To prevent giving away or revealing (something secret).
- synonym: mask
- Disguise is a musical group.
- albums: "Human Primordial Instinct", "Second Coming"
- official website: www.disguise666.it
- Disguise is a musical group.
- album: "Hey Baby"
- "Disguise" is a composition.
- "Disguise" is a musical album of Chuck Mangione.
- released in (31 years ago)
- "Disguise" is a musical single of Ivyrise.
- released on (6 years ago)
- "Disguise" is a musical single of Derek & Vis.
"Disguise" is a 2008 novel by the Irish writer Hugo Hamilton set in Germany.
- language: English Language
- released on (7 years ago)
Disguise: A disguise can be anything which conceals or changes a person's physical appearance, including a wig, glasses, makeup, costume or other ways. Camouflage is a type of disguise for people, animals and objects. Hats, glasses, change in hair style or wigs, plastic surgery, and make-up are also used.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Disguise
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Making Faces, Playing God (2013)
Identity and the Art of Transformational Makeup by Thomas Morawetz
Thus, achieving the perfect disguise is the Mount Everest (or one of the Everests) of the art of makeup. But what cannot be done in...
Even there, however, creating a convincing radical disguise is a challenge. Makeup artists come closest to ...
by Philip Abrams, Andrew McCulloch
You are a better masquerader than the witches and gipsies yonder, for your disguise is a self-deception.' Hawthorne, The Blithedale Romance Much of what has been written about communes and communities is concerned with the problem ...
Masquerade and Identities (2003)
Essays on Gender, Sexuality and Marginality by Efrat Tseëlon
The mask is partial covering; disguise is full covering; masquerade is deliberate covering. The mask hints; disguise erases from view; masquerade overstates. The mask is an accessory; disguise is a portrait; masquerade is a caricature.
A Feast of Creatures (2011)
Anglo-Saxon Riddle-Songs by Craig Williamson
The nonhuman subject taking human disguise is an implicit part of nearly every riddle. 4. Phytomorphic group. The subject is compared to a plant. This is an uncommon form in Old English except where objects were in fact initially plants such ...
A Dictionary of the English Language ... Abridged from the Rev. H. J. Todd's corrected and enlarged ... edition, by Alexander Chalmers (1824)
by Samuel Johnson, Alexander Chalmers, Henry John TODD (Archdeacon of Cleveland.)
A cover to disguise the face; a visor. Sidney. Any pretence or subterfuge. Prior. A festive entertainment, in which the company is masked. Shakspeare. A revel; a piece of mummery. Daniel. . A dramatick performance, written in a ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Disguise
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Disguise
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Katie The Bell
Photo credit: DannonL
Photo credit: Dave Haygarth
- Perfect Disguise
Photo credit: Rod Waddington
- Elephant Disguise
Seen in the window of Louis Vuitton in Bond Street.
Photo credit: garryknight
Photo credit: Roycin
- Illustration Friday - Disguise
Brush used on dress....from yumedust, used with many thanks.
Photo credit: The hills are alive*
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Disguise
Click on an item to play that video:
- Transformers Robots in Disguise Dad Explanation and Grimlock's First Transform
- Disguise Meaning
Video shows what disguise means. Attire (e.g. clothing, makeup) used to hide one's identity or assume another.. The appearance of something on the outside ...
- Vidya Balan On Disguise Looks Hyderabadi Language
Vidya Balan in the third part of her Bollywood Hungama exclusive interview with Content Head Broadband Faridoon Shahryar, talks about her upcoming film ...
- Disguise 2013 Indian Language School, Lagos
Arabian Pricess (Aanya Sharma)
- 03 Language of Music - "Rock Music in Disguise"
- Perfect Disguise - 5 Seconds of Summer [Check description!]
Lyrics: Take a left at the exist please, He's gotta get out of this body. His lungs collapse on the side of his guitar, Regrets with nothing left so far. Cuz he knows ...
- Disguise (Jemi) description
Demi: 15 ran away from Home to play soccer with her older brother the only problem it was an all boys team. Had to be in disguise at all times and is roommates ...
View more videos about Blessing in Disguise.
See also the pronunciation examples of Disguise!
Jesus in Disguise by Brandon Heath in Sign Language
Jesus in Disguise by Brandon Heath in Sign Language Signing for Worship by Cindy Spevere...
Quotes about Disguise
Scrabble value of D2I1S1G2U1I1S1E1
The value of this 8-letter word is 10 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.Couldn't select: Got error 28 from storage engine