The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun disputation:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun disputation
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Disputation
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Disputation
- Photos about Disputation
- Video about Disputation
- Quotes about Disputation
- Scrabble value of D2I1S1P3U1T1A1T1I1O1N1
- Share this page
Definition of the noun disputation
What does disputation mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: disputations
- the formal presentation of a stated proposition and the opposition to it (usually followed by a vote)
- a contentious speech act; a dispute where there is strong disagreement
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- synonyms of disputation: arguing / argument / contention / contestation / controversy / disceptation / tilt
- more generic terms: conflict / difference / difference of opinion / dispute = a disagreement or argument about something important
- more specific words:
Alternative definition of the noun disputation
- The act of disputing; a reasoning or argumentation in opposition to something, or on opposite sides; controversy in words; verbal contest respecting the truth of some fact, opinion, proposition, or argument.
- A rhetorical exercise in which parties reason in opposition to each other on some question proposed.
Disputation: In the scholastic system of education of the Middle Ages, disputations offered a formalized method of debate designed to uncover and establish truths in theology and in sciences. Fixed rules governed the process: they demanded dependence on traditional written authorities and the thorough understanding of each argument on each side.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Disputation
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Colyer Meriwether
The more theoretical by a special term is called Disputation ; the more practical is indeed called Conference. II. Disputation therefore is that sort of treatment of a problem or connected matter in which two adversaries contend with each other so ...
The Atlantic Monthly (1894)
“Disputation is a proof of not seeing clearly.” This objection to talking in the place of being or living is constantly raised. The same wise master, in describing the character of a true philosopher, says in epigrammatic form, which would be well ...
Action, Language, and Ethics in Zhuangzi by Eske Møllgaard
disputation is a purely technical procedure and entirely inscribed in the world of man (ren). According to Zhuangzi , only saying ...
Healing the Angry Brain (2012)
How Understanding the Way Your Brain Works Can Help You Control Anger and Aggression by Ronald Potter-Efron
Disputation is a technique in ...
Enhancing Performance, Development and Wellbeing by Mark Adams
To this end, the coach introduced Michael to the cognitive-behavioural method of disputation. Disputing self-limiting thoughts Disputation is a process in which questioning is used to challenge and evaluate the validity and utility of thinking ...
The Catholic Encyclopedia (1913)
An International Work of Reference on the Constitution, Doctrine, Discipline, and History of the Catholic Church by Charles George Herbermann
On the day set apart for this purpose the lectures and other exercises were suspended, so that all the masters, bachelors, and scholars might be present at the disputation. One of the masters (disputans) announced, in the form of question or ...
A Religious Encyclopædia, Or, Dictionary of Biblical, Historical, Doctrinal and Practical Theology (1884)
Based on the Real-encyklopädie of H Erzog, Plitt and Hauck by Philip Schaff
The disputation ended with a complete victory for Zwingli: the Reformation was formally adopted for the territory of Zurich. An artfully written letter ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Disputation
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Disputation
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about Disputation
Video shows what disputation means. The act of disputing; a reasoning or argumentation in opposition to something, or on opposite sides; controversy in words; ...
Quotes about Disputation
Scrabble value of D2I1S1P3U1T1A1T1I1O1N1
The value of this 11-letter word is 14 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Disputation to find many related words and phrases!