The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb disregard:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun disregard
- Definition of the verb disregard
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Disregard
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Disregard
- Photos about Disregard
- Video about Disregard
- Quotes about Disregard
- Scrabble value of D2I1S1R1E1G2A1R1D2
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun disregard
What does disregard mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: disregards
- lack of attention and due care
- willful lack of care and attention
Alternative definition of the noun disregard
- The act or state of deliberately not paying attention or caring about.
Definition of the verb disregard
What does disregard mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: disregarded | disregarding | disregards
- refuse to acknowledge
- bar from attention or consideration
- lexical domain: Communication - verbs of telling, asking, ordering, singing
- synonyms of disregard: brush aside / brush off / discount / dismiss / ignore / push aside
- more generic word: reject = refuse to accept or acknowledge
- more specific terms:
- cold-shoulder / slight = pay no attention to, disrespect
- discredit = cause to be distrusted or disbelieved
- shrug off = minimize the importance of, brush aside
- pass off = disregard
- flout / scoff = treat with contemptuous disregard
- turn a blind eye = refuse to acknowledge
- laugh away / laugh off = deal with a problem by laughing or pretending to be amused by it
- disoblige = ignore someone's wishes
- give little or no attention to
Alternative definition of the verb disregard
- To ignore.
"Disregard" is a composition by James Dewees.
- music by James Dewees
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Disregard
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Reading Auschwitz (1998)
by Mary Deane Lagerwey
women's embodiment with a male pattern of minimizing the “significance of intimates” noting as we find in Wiesel's writings that “the major exception to this general disregard is the father's death, which often receives considerable attention.
Evidence and Written Evidence, 26 January and 9 February 2011 by Great Britain: Parliament: House of Commons: Work and Pensions Committee
The disregard is the participation tax rate issue. What we find is there is a cliff edge for people going into...
by Sidney L. Landau
ignore, disregard, slight, overlook, omit, forget, let ride , leave alone, blink at, wink at, pass over, pass up, pass by, take no notice of, let slip, let go, skimp, shirk, gloss over. — n. oversight, forgetfulness, neglectfulness, ...
The Dimwit's Dictionary (2002)
5,000 Overused Words and Phrases and Alternatives to Them by Robert Hartwell Fiske
abuse; affront; avoid; disdain; disregard; ignore; insult; neglect; offend; outrage; overlook; rebuff; reject; scorn; shun; sidestep; slap; slight ; slur; ...
by Cleveland Public Library, Bertha Rickenbrode Barden
Disregard marks used to modify vowels and consonants, e. g. Arrange c, 1, fi, as c, 1, n. Arrange a, a, se, 6, 0, in Danish and Swedish as a, o. Arrange a, 6, ti, in German as a, o, u. Example: Mueller, F. B. Muller, A. J. Muller, Max Miinsterberg ...
by Cédric Viale
DISREGARD AND CONTEMPT FOR HUMAN RIGHTS [Méconnaissance et mépris des droits de l'homme] – “Whereas disregard and contempt for human rights have resulted in barbarous acts which have outraged the conscience of mankind, ...
Under the Codes and Practice Acts, at Common Law, in Equity and in Criminal Cases
structions to disregard it, that there ...
by Henry Sweet
ofer-gapian disregard, ...
Encyclopedia of Journalism (2009)
by Christopher H. Sterling
Public figures must meet a higher standard, showing that defendants acted with “ actual malice,” which means either publishing a statement despite knowing that it was false or exhibiting reckless disregard for the truth. Negligence arises from ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Disregard
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Disregard
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Benjamin Dobson
- Flagrant Disregard
Where do broken hearts go?
Can they find their way home?
Photo credit: CarbonNYC [in SF!]
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about Disregard
Video shows what disregard means. The act or state of deliberately not paying attention or caring about; misregard.. Disregard Meaning. How to pronounce ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Disregard!
Quotes about Disregard
The out-of-work actor wears out more than shoe leather. The very sensibilities that make him an artist are shattered by the disregard he is shown as a human being. (Bette Davis)
more quotes about disregard...
Scrabble value of D2I1S1R1E1G2A1R1D2
The value of this 9-letter word is 12 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Disregard to see it in context!