The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Usage statistics for the noun district:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun district:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun district
- Definition of the verb district
- Phrases with District
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for District
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for District
- Photos about District
- Videos about District
- Sign language
- Quotes about District
- Scrabble value of D2I1S1T1R1I1C3T1
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun district
What does district mean as a name of something?
District is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: districts
- a region marked off for administrative or other purposes
- lexical domain: Locations - nouns denoting spatial position
- synonyms of district: dominion / territorial dominion / territory
- more generic word: region = a large indefinite location on the surface of the Earth
- more specific terms:
- administrative district / administrative division / territorial division = a district defined for administrative purposes
- border district / borderland / marchland / march = district consisting of the area on either side of a border or boundary of a country or an area
- city district = a district of a town or city
- congressional district = a territorial division of a state
- development = a district that has been developed to serve some purpose
- enclave = an enclosed territory that is culturally distinct from the foreign territory that surrounds it
- palatinate = a territory under the jurisdiction of a count palatine
- residential district / residential area / community = a district where people live
- goldfield = a district where gold is mined
- jurisdiction = in law
- mandatory / mandate = a territory surrendered by Turkey or Germany after World War I and put under the tutelage of some other European power until they are able to stand by themselves
- associated state / protectorate = a state or territory partly controlled by (but not a possession of) a stronger state but autonomous in internal affairs
- possession = a territory that is controlled by a ruling state
- trust territory / trusteeship = a dependent country
- British East Africa = the former British territories of eastern Africa, including Kenya, Tanganyika, Uganda, and Zanzibar
- British West Africa = the former British territories of western Africa, including Nigeria, Cameroon, Gambia, Togo, Sierra Leone, and the Gold Coast
- Rhineland-Palatinate / Rheinland-Pfalz = a state in southwestern Germany
- Mount Athos / Athos = an autonomous area in northeastern Greece that is the site of several Greek Orthodox monasteries founded in the tenth century
- Attica = the territory of Athens in ancient Greece where the Ionic dialect was spoken
- Boeotia = a district of ancient Greece to the northwest of Athens
- Papal States = the temporal dominions belonging to the pope
- Acadia = the French-speaking part of the Canadian Maritime Provinces
- Northwest Territories = a large territory in northwestern Canada
- Nunavut = an Arctic territory in northern Canada created in 1999 and governed solely by the Inuit
- Yukon Territory / Yukon = a territory in northwestern Canada
- Northern Territory = a territory in north central Australia
- Northern Mariana Islands / Northern Marianas = a self-governing territory comprising all of the Mariana Islands except Guam
- Acre = a territory of western Brazil bordering on Bolivia and Peru
- Lake District / Lakeland = a popular tourist area in northwestern England including England's largest lake and highest mountain
- Galloway = a district in southwestern Scotland
- Lothian Region = a district in southeast central Scotland (south side of the Firth of Forth) and the location of Edinburgh
- East Malaysia = the part of Malaysia that is on the island of Borneo
- Peninsular Malaysia / West Malaysia / Malaya = the region of Malaysia on the Malay Peninsula
- KwaZulu-Natal / Natal = a region of eastern South Africa on the Indian Ocean
- American Samoa / Eastern Samoa / AS = a United States territory on the eastern part of the island of Samoa
- Aragon = a region of northeastern Spain
- Castilla / Castile = a region of central Spain
- Catalonia = a region of northeastern Spain
- Darfur = an impoverished region of western Sudan
- Kordofan = a mountainous province of central Sudan
- Louisiana Purchase = territory in the western United States purchased from France in 1803 for $15 million
Alternative definition of the noun district
- An administrative division of an area.
- An area or region marked by some distinguishing feature.
Definition of the verb district
What does district mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: districted | districting | districts
- regulate housing in; of certain areas of towns
District is a restaurant.
- also known as District Corporation
District is a musical group.
- albums: "Don't Mess With the Hard Punx", "My Dad's a Punk", "Bad News! for This District"
- "District" is the third EP by the Pinoy rock band Sponge Cola, released under Universal Records last November 9, 2012.
- also known as District EP
- released on
- "District" is a musical single of Electronic Home Entertainment.
- released in (18 years ago)
- "District" is a composition.
- District is a Venue in Washington, D.C..
- also known as District Adams Morgan
- District is a Venue in Boston.
- also known as District Restaurant & Lounge
There are other places with in their name, like District 1, District 2, district 6, District 7, Bo District, district 10, district 11, La District, Li District, Bak District, Bia District, Boe District, Bor District, District One, District Six, Ewo District, Haa District, Has District, Kep District and Lee District.
- District: A district is a type of administrative division that, in some countries, is managed by local government. Across the world, areas known as "districts" vary greatly in size, spanning entire regions or counties, several municipalities, or subdivisions of municipalities.
- also known as Bezirk
- District: The term district, in the context of China, is used to refer to several unrelated political divisions in both ancient and modern China.
- also known as County-controlled district, Districts of the People's Republic of China
- District: A district of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is a geographical administrative unit composed of a number of congregations called branches. A district is a subdivision of a mission of the church and in many ways is analogous to a stake of the church. The leader of a district is the mission president, who selects a local district president as his agent. The district president may choose two men to assist him; the three together form the district presidency. The three members of the district presidency are given the honorific title "President".
- District: Describes a grouping of human shelters and associated commercial and non-commercial places.
Phrases with District
Phrases starting with the word District:
Phrases ending with the word District:
- city district
- Bogra District
- Pabna District
- Udupi District
- border district
- school district
- bathyal district
- federal district
- Tangail District
- business district
- election district
- Habiganj District
- Sanitary district
- tenement district
- Electoral district
View more phrases with the word District in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for District
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Evliya Çelebi, Joseph von Hammer
The second district is that of Seravurfid on the west side of Tabriz ; containing eighty well cultivated villages. The third district is that of Dideher, four farsangs south-west of Tabriz, twenty-four kents with mosques, khans, baths and gardens.
by A. R. Fairall
The Carnegie District is the desert area of Western Australia. The principal vegetation is low sparse shrubby growth and spinifex with areas of red sand hills. Little is known of the rainfall and climatic conditions of this largely unsettled district. 3.
by Adam Arnell
The Lake District is a National Park in North-West England. National...
The Lake District is an upland area created by glaciation. lts combination of hills, lakes, farmland and picturesque towns make it a very attractive place for tourists to visit.
One Out of Three (2013)
Immigrant New York in the 21st Century by Nancy Foner
The Korean Business District is a rectangle area covering Twenty-Seventh Street through Thirty-Fifth Street on Broadway, Sixth, and Fifth Avenues. The heart of the district is the intersection between Broadway and Thirty-Second Street.
by Virginia Koerselman Newman
either district is the residence of at least one defendant; and each is located in a state in which all defendants reside.
Human Communication Handbook (1975)
Simulations and Games by Brent D. Ruben, Richard W. Budd
The district is the industrial hub of the country. Products and raw materials are shipped from every district for processing and manufacturing. Such industries include meatpacking and canning, flour mills, furniture making, distilling, ...
by Jeffrey D. Fisher, Dennis S. Tosh
A district is a type of neighborhood that has homogeneous land use, and a central business district is the core of the city where the major businesses are concentrated. A township is a measurement of land containing 36 square miles of land ...
Army, Engineering District, New York, NY U.S. Army, Engineering District, Buffalo, NY U.S. Army, Cold Regions Research and Development, Hanover, NH ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for District
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about District
Click on an item to view that photo:
This is a street scene in the Textile district in Cairo, Egypt.
Photo credit: Keith Yahl
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about District
Click on an item to play that video:
- Jamalpur District Meaning
Video shows what Jamalpur District means. One of the seventeen districts in the Dhaka Division of Bangladesh. Jamalpur District Meaning. How to pronounce ...
- Gopalganj District Meaning
Video shows what Gopalganj District means. One of the seventeen districts in the Dhaka Division of Bangladesh. Gopalganj District Meaning. How to pronounce ...
- Madaripur District Meaning
Video shows what Madaripur District means. One of the seventeen districts in the Dhaka Division of Bangladesh. Madaripur District Meaning. How to pronounce ...
- Patuakhali District Meaning
Video shows what Patuakhali District means. One of the six districts in the Barisal Division of Bangladesh. Patuakhali District Meaning. How to pronounce ...
- Thakurgaon District Meaning
Video shows what Thakurgaon District means. One of the eight districts in the Rangpur Division of Bangladesh. Thakurgaon District Meaning. How to pronounce ...
- Cox's Bazar District Meaning
Video shows what Cox's Bazar District means. One of the eleven districts in the Chittagong Division of Bangladesh. Cox's Bazar District Meaning. How to ...
- Narayanganj District Meaning
Video shows what Narayanganj District means. One of the seventeen districts in the Dhaka Division of Bangladesh. Narayanganj District Meaning. How to ...
- District 9 - Alien / Prawn Explanation
- Bandarban District Meaning
Video shows what Bandarban District means. One of the eleven districts in the Chittagong Division of Bangladesh. Bandarban District Meaning. How to ...
- District 9 Eviction Explanation
- Cities Skylines - 27 - District Policies Explanation and City Beautification
Cities Skylines This is Cities Skylines, a city building simulator almost exactly like SimCity 5, except this one is built right. lol You can actually build a huge city in ...
- Kishoreganj District Meaning
Video shows what Kishoreganj District means. One of the seventeen districts in the Dhaka Division of Bangladesh. Kishoreganj District Meaning. How to ...
- District Meaning
Video shows what district means. An administrative division of an area.. An area or region marked by some distinguishing feature.. An administrative division of a ...
- Lake District Meaning
Video shows what Lake District means. A national park in Cumbria, north-western England characterised by its many lakes.. Lake District Meaning. How to ...
- Check the Appraisal District's Description - Single Family Hearings
- Tony Noun - Candidate for Texas House District 150 - Houston Real Estate Radio
Shannon Register, Broker/Owner of Register Real Estate Advisors and Host of "Houston Real Estate Radio," talks to Tony Noun, Republican for Texas House ...
- Adult ESL in District 833
Learning didn't stop for South Washington County Schools' adult ESL students this summer. Dozens of international community members attended sessions at ...
- Northern Valley Regional High Schools, NJ District Supervisor's Views on Language Lab Technology
Jim Buoye, District Supervisor of World Languages at Northern Valley Regional High Schools in NJ, talks about how progressive technology in the language lab ...
- Huntly District and Tourism Action Group - Scots Language Case Study
Fiona Manson, Huntly and District Tourism Action Group...
- Pawan Fires on KCR in Criticizing Language at Thullur Guntur District
Pawan Fires on KCR in Criticizing Language at Thullur Guntur District VANITHA TV - First Women Centric Channel in India...
- English Language Carnival Rembau District 2013- choral speaking
SK. Seberang Batu Hampar... Tahniah dan terima kasih teacher ucapkan.. Alhamdulillah dapat tempat ketiga :) Tahun depan boleh cuba lagi **pertama kali ...
- Middle School Language Arts: District Performance Assessment
- District 211 ESL, Alternative High School, and Continuing Education Programs
Jerry Trevino, director of Summer School and Community Outreach at District 211, discusses the ESL, Continuing Education, and Alternative High School ...
- Mary Ellen Adkins - Speech-Language Pathologist District 101
- Governor ESL Narasimhan speaks at Maha Sankalpa Sabha in Guntur District | ExpressTV
Governor ESL Narasimhan speaks at Maha Sankalpa Sabha in Guntur District which is being organized by AP Government to mark the completion of one year ...
- The students of District 54 Mandt Township, Minnesota Told in Norwegian Language
The students of District 54 Mandt Township, Minnesota Told in Norwegian Language by Verdie Gilbertson and Verdie Ellingson May 2015.
- English Language Carnival Rembau District 2013- action song
Tahniah dapat tempat keempat.. :) SK Seberang Batu Hampar.
- West Chicago District 33 Dual Language Program
- WEST CHICAGO DISTRICT 33 DUAL LANGUAGE PROGRAM
This video is about the West Chicago 33 Dual Language Program.
View more videos about Feni District, Peak District, Bhola District, Dhaka District, Surat district, Magura District, School district, Sylhet District, Barguna District, Barisal District, Comilla District, Jessore District, Naogaon District, Rangpur District, Chandpur District, District attorney, Kurigram District, Meherpur District, Pirojpur District, Rajshahi District, Sanitary district, Chuadanga District, Jhalokati District, Jhenaidah District, Nawabganj District, Netrokona District, Sunamganj District, Chittagong District, Lakshmipur District, Munshiganj District, Mymensingh District, Panchagarh District, Shariatpur District, District of Columbia, Lalmonirhat District, Maulvibazar District, Brahmanbaria District, and Central business district.
See also the pronunciation examples of District!
Click on an item to play that video:
- Audrey Birkhimer: American Sign Language Solo- District Fine Arts 2011
- Michigan District Fine Arts 2015 - Noel Rathnaw (Sign Language Solo)
- QUEZON CITY POLICE DISTRICT Training on Sign Language
April 15, 2010.
- QUEZON CITY POLICE DISTRICT Training on Sign Language
- Shelby Marshall sign language - 2013 KY District TNT
Shelby Marshall signs to "Mary Did You Know". She won 2nd Place in the Early Youth Sign Language Category.
Quotes about District
Tax reform and expanded trade are going to be so important to the economy of Illinois, particularly the 11th Congressional District, which is a major manufacturing and a major agricultural district. (Jerry Weller)
more quotes about district...
Scrabble value of D2I1S1T1R1I1C3T1
The value of this 8-letter word is 11 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of District to see it in context!