The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb divulge:
On this page:
Divulge (to make known something that is secret) is considered to be an advanced word, according to the Barron's essential words for the GRE, which includes 800 college- and graduate-level words that frequently appear on the Graduate Record Exam.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the verb divulge
What does divulge mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: divulged | divulging | divulges
- make known to the public information that was previously known only to a few people or that was meant to be kept a secret
- example: They divulge that there was a traffic accident
- lexical domain: Communication - verbs of telling, asking, ordering, singing
- synonyms of divulge: break / bring out / disclose / discover / expose / give away / let on / let out / reveal / uncover / unwrap
- more generic word: tell = let something be known
- more specific terms:
- blackwash = bring (information) out of concealment
- muckrake = explore and expose misconduct and scandals concerning public figures
- blow = cause to be revealed and jeopardized
- out = reveal (something) about somebody's identity or lifestyle
- come out of the closet / come out / out = to state openly and publicly one's homosexuality
- spring = produce or disclose suddenly or unexpectedly
- betray / bewray = reveal unintentionally
- confide = reveal in private
- leak = tell anonymously
- let the cat out of the bag / spill the beans / babble out / blab out / babble / tattle / peach / blab / sing / talk = divulge confidential information or secrets
- reveal = disclose directly or through prophets
- cause: break / get around / get out
Alternative definition of the verb divulge
- To make public; to several or communicate to the public; to tell (a secret) so that it may become generally known; to disclose; -- said of that which had been confided as a secret, or had been before unknown; as, to divulge a secret.
- To indicate publicly; to proclaim.
Definition of the verb divulge for high school students
- to reveal something secret
- example: Pressured by the press, the government finally divulged the previously unknown information.
The verb divulge is considered to be a word that all college-aspiring students should know and understand, so it frequently appears on the SAT, ACT and other college admissions tests.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for divulge
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Sean Cullen
Divulge is a fancy word for tell. Divulging, however, is worse than just telling. Only secrets can be divulged. Next time someone tells one of your secrets, point at them and shout, “Divulger!” They will be confused.
Beyond Literary Theory (2001)
Literature as a Search for the Meaning of Human Destiny by Eduard Hugo Strauch
So too the figures in Nausea prognosticate Roquentin as an archetype whose decision leads to the authentic, creative life, 240-241 What medieval figurae divulge is a Presence within reality, an Essence sustaining and directing human ...
by Salleh Mohd Radzi, Mohd Faeez Saiful Bakhtiar, Zurinawati Mohi, Mohd Salehuddin Mohd Zahari, Norzuwana Sumarjan, C.T. Chik, Faiz Izwan Anuar
Having said that, one interesting fact to divulge is that according to an interview with JAKIM, Saad (2014) explained that, out of 12 Chinese Muslim restaurants in Shah Alam, ...
10,000 Alternatives to Wordy Phrases by Robert Hartwell Fiske
bring into the world divulge; expose; herald; indicate; make known; make public; mention; point out; point to; present; proclaim; promote; publicize; reveal; show; tell; uncover; unveil. These experiences are designed to bring into the open some ...
by Robert Hartwell Fiske
bring attention to advertise/announce/blazon/ broadcast/disclose/ divulge/expose/herald/indicate/make known/make public/mention/point out/point ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for divulge
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about divulge
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: justneal
- Guys' Divulge
The dudes as well were not missing in the action.
Photo credit: Shnib Snuff
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about divulge
Click on an item to play that video:
- Divulge Meaning
Video shows what divulge means. To make public; to several or communicate to the public; to tell (a secret) so that it may become generally known; to disclose; ...
- Straight "A" Vocab - Learn Vocabulary from a Pirate - Divulge, Recompense
- ESL Vocabulary : divulge
- ESL Vocabulary : divulge
See also the pronunciation examples of divulge!
Quotes about divulge
All around I souls
Divulge as spheres
Celestial in harmony
The care of our presence
Eternal. (David Lacey)
more quotes about divulge...
Scrabble value of D2I1V4U1L1G2E1
The value of this 7-letter word is 12 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of divulge to see it in context!