The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun dyad:
On this page:
Definition of the noun dyad
What does dyad mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: dyads
- two items of the same kind
- examples: In this paper I limit the discussion to Emmet's 'dyad' style in his works from 1995. | We use DS as an abbreviation of 'dyad' style. | We deal here with Emmet's 'dyad' style first presented in his experimental works in the late sixties. | It is certain that Emmet contrived his 'dyad' style to facilitate the process of architectural design. | In this paper I would like to examine the notion of "dyad style" and its influence on fine arts.
- lexical domain: Quantities - nouns denoting quantities and units of measure
- synonyms of dyad: brace / couple / couplet / distich / duad / duet / duo / pair / span / twain / twosome / yoke
- more generic words: 2 / deuce / II / two = the cardinal number that is the sum of one and one or a numeral representing this number
- more specific word: doubleton = a pair of playing cards that are the only cards in their suit in the hand dealt to a player
- part: fellow / mate = one of a pair
Alternative definition of the noun dyad
- A set of two different elements.
- [music] any set of two different pitch classes.
- A pair of things standing in particular relation; dyadic relation.
Specialised definition of the noun dyad
Glossary of sports
group composed of two individuals (Mark H. Anshel. 1991. Dictionary of the Sport and Exercise Sciences. Human Kinetics Books Champaign, Illinois)
"Dyad" is a downloadable game for PlayStation 3 and Microsoft Windows, with OS X and Linux versions planned for a later release. It was developed and published by Right Square Bracket Left Square Bracket.
- mode: Single-player video game
- designer: Shawn McGrath
- developer: Right Square Bracket Left Square Bracket Inc
- genres: Music, Puzzle, Shooter game, Puzzle game, Racing video game
- publisher: Right Square Bracket Left Square Bracket Inc
- released on
Dyad is a musical group.
- album: "Who's Been Here Since I've Been Gone"
- Dyad: Sociology defines dyad as a group of two people, the smallest possible social group. As an adjective, "dyadic" describes their interaction.
- Dyad: In music, a dyad is a set of two notes or pitches. Although all chords have three or more notes, in certain contexts a dyad may be considered to be a chord.
- The Dyad is a title used by the Pythagoreans for the number two, representing the principle of "twoness" or "otherness".
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Dyad
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Jungian Psychoanalysis (2010)
Working in the Spirit of Carl Jung by Murray Stein
analytic dyad is an emergent phenomenon that is contingent on interaction in a given moment and is nested within an archetypal field. Without question, reconstruction of family history and life narrative are important in terms of understanding ...
by Charles Sanders Peirce
The dyad is the fact. It determines the existence of the light, and the creatorship of God.
The dyad is an individual fact, as it existentially is; and it has no generality in it.
An Integrated Approach by William N. Friedrich
The dyad is the basic unit of human interaction. Many latency-aged boys have yet to master successful dyadic interaction ...
Public Crisis Management (2000)
by Michael J. Hillyard
Interorganizational networks can be structured as dyads, sets, or networks.509 A dyad is a pair of organizations that work together to solve a common problem. A set consists of separate organizations with a central focal point. The focal point ...
Gender and Parenthood (2013)
Biological and Social Scientific Perspectives by W. Bradford Wilcox, Kathleen Kovner Kline
The maternal-fetal dyad is a remarkable, but vulnerable system. The maternal lifeline to the fetus requires fundamental physical and emotional nourishment, as well as protection from environmental toxins. The social and cultural support and ...
The Dyad is the symbol of ...
Supervision in Social Work (2014)
by Alfred Kadushin, Daniel Harkness
The Worker-Client Dyad The worker-client dyad is the interactional system that serves as the principal focus of social work supervision, because it is principally through interaction that social workers help clients. To the extent that social work ...
by Harry T. Reis, Susan Sprecher
For example, dyad members may be distinguishable on some theoretical basis ( male–female dyad members, first born–second born sibling pairs, supervisor– employee dyads, etc.) or the members may be exchangeable in that there is no ...
A Dictionary of Sociology (2009)
by John Scott, Gordon Marshall
dyad 198 Main Currents in Sociological Thought, ii (1967). See also ANOMIE; DIVISION OF LABOUR; DYNAMIC DENSITY; FATALISM; INFLATION; LAw, SOCIOLOGY OF; MORAL COMMUNITY; ORGANIC (OR BIOLOGICAL) ANALOGY; ...
by Edward Craig
and the Indefinite Dyad, essentially developments of the Pythagorean primal opposites, Limited and Unlimited (see Philolaus §2; Plato §5; Platonism, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Dyad
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Dyad
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about Dyad
Video shows what dyad means. A set of two elements treated as one; a pair.. any set of two different pitch classes.. A pair of things standing in particular relation; ...
Quotes about Dyad
Couldn't select: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MariaDB server version for the right syntax to use near 'dyad"" IN BOOLEAN MODE) LIMIT 1,1' at line 1
Scrabble value of D2Y4A1D2
The value of this 4-letter word is 9 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of DYAD
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Dyad!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Dyad to see it in context!