The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun economy:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun economy
- Definition of the adjective economy
- Phrases with Economy
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Economy
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Economy
- Photos about Economy
- Videos about Economy
- Sign language
- Quotes about Economy
- Scrabble value of E1C3O1N1O1M3Y4
- Anagrams of ECONOMY
- Share this page
The word economy and its family (economic, economical, economically, economics, economies, economist, economists, uneconomical) are included in the Academic Word List by Dr. Averil Coxhead, which contains the 570 most frequent word families used in academic texts from a variety of subject areas, of interest for students that learn the words most needed to study at tertiary institutions.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun economy
What does economy mean as a name of something?
Economy is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: economies
- the system of production and distribution and consumption
- lexical domain: Groups - nouns denoting groupings of people or objects
- synonym of economy: economic system
- more generic words: scheme / system = a group of independent but interrelated elements comprising a unified whole
- more specific terms:
- industrialism = an economic system built on large industries rather than on agriculture or craftsmanship
- laissez-faire economy / private enterprise / free enterprise / market economy = an economy that relies chiefly on market forces to allocate goods and resources and to determine prices
- mixed economy = an economic system that combines private and state enterprises
- non-market economy = an economy that is not a market economy
- state capitalism = an economic system that is primarily capitalistic but there is some degree of government ownership of the means of production
- state socialism = an economic system in which the government owns most means of production but some degree of private capitalism is allowed
- the efficient use of resources
- frugality in the expenditure of money or resources
- an act of economizing; reduction in cost
- example: it was a small economy to walk to work every day
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- synonym of economy: saving
- more generic word: action = something done
- more specific terms:
Alternative definition of the noun economy
- Effective management of the resources of a community or system.
- Collective focus of the study of money, currency and trade, and the efficient use of resources.
- Frugal use of resources.
- The system of production and distribution and consumption. The overall measure of a currency system; as the national economy.
- [theology] The method of divine government of the world.
- [context: archaic] Management of one’s [l, en, residency].
Definition of the adjective economy
What does economy mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: more economy / most economy
- Cheap to run; using minimal resources; representing good value for money.
- Economy is a borough in Beaver County, Pennsylvania, United States. The population was 8,970 at the 2010 census.
- Economy is a town in Perry Township, Wayne County, Indiana, United States. The population was 187 at the 2010 census.
- Economy a.k.a. Economy, Arkansas is an unincorporated community in Burnett Township, Pope County, Arkansas, United States.
- read more about Economy, Arkansas
Economy is a record label.
- "Economy" is the second studio album by Christian singer-songwriter John Mark McMillan, and it released on November 1, 2011 by Integrity Music. The producers on the album were McMillan, Jeremy Griffith and Joel Khouri.
- "Economy" is a composition.
- "Economy" is a book by Caleb Quizem.
- also known as "Economy: a pindaric tale: in three parts"
- "Economy" is a book by John Lyon-Dalberg-Acton, 5th Baron Acton.
- Economy: An economy or economic system consists of the production, distribution or trade, and consumption of limited goods and services by different agents in a given geographical location. The economic agents can be individuals, businesses, organizations, or governments. Transactions occur when two parties agree to the value or price of the transacted good or service, commonly expressed in a certain currency.
- also known as İktisat, 经济
- Economy: In the Orthodox Church, in Eastern and Latin Catholic churches, and in the teaching of the Church Fathers which undergirds the theology of those communions, economy or oeconomy has several meanings. The basic meaning of the word is "handling" or "disposition" or "management" or more literally "housekeeping" of a thing, usually assuming or implying good or prudent handling of the matter at hand. In short, economia is discretionary deviation from the letter of the law in order to adhere to the spirit of the law and charity. This is in contrast to legalism, or akribia —strict adherence to the letter of the law of the church.
- Economy is a basketball statistical formula that was created in order to determine the ball possession efficiency of ball handlers, mainly primary ball handlers and point guards. It is considered a basic stat of the Greek League.
- Economy is a field of study.
- Economy a.k.a. It's The Economy is a TV program, begun in and completed in (6 years ago).
- read more about It's The Economy
Phrases with Economy
Phrases starting with the word Economy:
Phrases ending with the word Economy:
- Sex Economy
- black economy
- False economy
- mixed economy
- Tiger economy
- token economy
- market economy
- Policy Economy
- Lithium economy
- managed economy
- Planned economy
- Hydrogen economy
- communist economy
- political economy
- socialist economy
View more phrases with the word Economy in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Economy
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Wen-Pei Sung, Jimmy C.M. Kao, Ran Chen
Green economy is an ideal economic model conformed to the requirements of the sustainable development. In the process of production and lifestyle, green economy is a new model to coordinate the relationship in resources, environmental ...
For Future Engine Fuel Demands by Ayhan Demirbas
The hydrogen economy is a vision for a future in which hydrogen replaces fossil fuels. There are a variety of methods for generating, storing and delivering hydrogen since no single method has yet proven superior. Economically, the wasteful ...
Choice Extracts on History, Science, Philosophy, Religion, Literature, Etc. Selected from the Standard Authors of Ancient and Modern Times, Classified According to Subject by Charles Noel Douglas
Economy is a high human office, — a sacrament when its aim is grand, when it is the prudence of simple tastes, when it is practised for freedom or for love or devotion. — Emerson. Expense, and great expense, may be an essential part in true ...
by Ying Zhang
Introduction Circular economy is a brand new economic development model proposed aiming at solving conflicts among population, resource and environment. Circular economy is an economic growth mode, taking high efficient use and recycle use of resources as core, and...
by Ahmed M. Hussen
l The human economy is a subsystem of the biosphere. Why is it ...
by Andrew Barkley, Paul W. Barkley
A market economy is an economic organization in which prices determine how resources and goods are allocated (capitalism; free markets). A command economy is an economic organization in which resource allocation is determined by ...
by Charalambos D. Aliprantis, Owen Burkinshaw
An eacchange economy is a tuple 8 = ((X, X'), (X1, *1, wi), • . . ) (Xm, <nown), where:...
The Illuminating Engineer (1912)
Economy is the best hated of all the virtues. It is the...
POLITICAL ECONOMY. INTRODUCTION. Definition of the science.—We propose in the following Treatise to give an outline of the Science which treats of the Nature, the Production, and the Distribution of Wealth. To that Science we give the ...
by David E. O connor
The global economy is the international network of individuals, businesses, governments, multilateral organizations, and civil society groups, which collectively make decisions about the production, consumption, and distribution of goods and ...
A Historical Encyclopedia by Cynthia L. Clark
The American Economy: A Historical Encyclopedia, Revised Edition provides detailed information about the formation and development of economic policy throughout American history and describes its continued importance. Historically ...
by Sir Robert Harry Inglis Palgrave
ABSTEACT POLITICAL ECONOMY. Political economy is sometimes described as a wholly abstract science, dealing with an unreal and imaginary subject, that is to say, not with the entire real man as we know him in fact, but with a ...
2-volume Set by Phillip O'Hara
There are twenty A– Z lists: six relate to institutional spheres (including one on “ family and gender” which includes many of the entries relevant to feminist political economy), nine relate to subjects and five relate to schools of thought.
by R. J. Barry Jones
Fei-Ranis model rigorously analysing the transition process through which an underdeveloped economy hopes to move from a condition of stagnation to one of self-sustaining growth' (Ranis and Fei, 1961: 533). The economy is a labour- ...
by Phillip Anthony O'Hara
cal economy: major contemporary themes; Lewis's theory of economic growth and development; state and government; structural adjustment policies Selected references Behrman, Jere and Srinivasan, T.N. (eds) (1995) Handbook of ...
by Ramesh Chandra Bisht
The economy of Bhutan is one of the smallest economies in the world. The economy is closely aligned with India by its strong trade and monetary links in the present days. Bhutan's economy is based on agriculture and forestry, which provide ...
Global Women's Issues and Knowledge by Cheris Kramarae, Dale Spender
ECONOMY AND DEVELOPMENT Affirmative Action Agriculture Altruism Antidiscrimination Assertiveness Training Charity Child Labor Cooking Determinism: Economic Development: Overview Development: Australia and New Zealand ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Economy
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Economy
Click on an item to view that photo:
Fuji Pro 400H
Photo credit: windy_
Photo credit: teatimer
Photo credit: Michael Rehfeldt
- Economy Inn
Photo credit: amseaman
- Dear economy...
Photo credit: SimonDoggett
- Economy Headed Toward Growth
Gross Domestic Product Percent change from preceding period.
Photo credit: Leader Nancy Pelosi
- Attention Economy Death Star
Brainstorming and playing around with Keynote
Photo credit: dominiekth
- Fuel economy meter
Will be watching this closely indeed.
Photo credit: julianlimjl
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Economy
Click on an item to play that video:
- The meaning economy | Scott Tanksley | TEDxPeachtreeSalon
This talk was given at a local TEDx event, produced independently of the TED Conferences. Much has been written about Millennials. Scott Tanksley offers a ...
- The Blue Economy:Explanation of the Blue Economy 2015
Do you want to live healthy, and have joy in life? Do you want to be an entrepreneur, and figure out how you can make a difference? This is not about the good ...
- Economy Meaning
Video shows what economy means. Effective management of the resources of a community or system.. Collective focus of the study of money, currency and ...
- Gift Economy Explanation
An explanation of the upcoming course's gift economy value exchange. If you're still thinking of signing up check out the course at ...
- Entrepreneurship & the Economy: Definition & Importance
1 - The Dynamic Business Environment.
- Hydrogen economy Meaning
Video shows what hydrogen economy means. A hypothetical future economy in which the primary form of stored energy for mobile applications and load ...
- Creative Economy: Definition
Neil Kleinman gives a definition for the Creative Economy.
- Lithium economy Meaning
Video shows what lithium economy means. a post-carbon economy, based on lithium fuel cells for the generation of power. Lithium economy Meaning. How to ...
- Gameplay eXplanation: Lets Learn Galactic Civilizations 3 - The Economy
Join Kearon as he eXplains the economy of the upcoming 4X behemoth, Galactic Civilizations 3! This video was brought to you...
- 53. A Simple Explanation of the US Economy for Traders
Practice forex trading for free...
- Planetary Annihilation Economy Explanation (Tutorial)
Here is a quick tutorial on how to understand the Planetary Annihilation Economy. This is also relevant for the Supreme Commander economy system. Hope it ...
- Traditional Economy - Definition, Examples, Characteristics, Advantages and Disadvantages
Traditional Economy - Definition, Examples, Characteristics, Advantages and Disadvantages. 'Business | Employment' is a source of business information, ...
- Policy economy Meaning
Video shows what policy economy means. Aspect of the economy that encompasses the economic scale and implications of policy formulation and ...
- Economy Map: An Explanation of the Three Perspectives
Economy Map shows environmental impacts from three perspectives. Direct impacts are those generated directly by the activities of a sector. Sectors with high ...
- Economy Explanation
- Economy | Definition | Vocabulary
a brief description of the word Economy as it is used in an 8th grade American History class.
- Global economy definition - FECIMA.COM
- Saving RS: Stabilizing Economy | Problem Explanation Ep1 by Idk Whats Rc
The economy of Runescape right now is not stable at all. There is an over-accumulation of items, especially coins, in the game. Items brought in the game never ...
- Economy car Meaning
Video shows what economy car means. A car - usually small and lightweight - designed for low-cost operation. Economy car Meaning. How to pronounce ...
- 3.5 Handy Laws and Definition of "Improve The Economy"
- Kpa kpa kpa. Hilarious description Ghana's economy
Ghanaian man describes the economy in Ghana and how to survive it. His explanation is hilarious.
- Hollywood and American Culture, History, Economy: Religion, Violence, Language in Movies (1992)
Hollywood vs. America: Popular Culture and the War on Traditional Values is a 1992 book by conservative film critic Michael Medved. Its purpose is an ...
- Economy of Language
Covers the ways that you can trim down your language and make it more powerful in writing.
- Language Time. Differences between Economy, Economics, Economic and Economical
Language Time. Differences between Economy, Economics, Economic and Economical.
- NPC Affected Economy Description
- Economics and Finance. Global Education, Economy , English Language, From Wikipedia
All Music is from Incompetech and Youtube Library Creative Comons Economics is the social science that seeks to describe the factors which determine the ...
- Mad as Hell: The language of the economy
- S&P Beers - U.S economy downgrade in the language of URGH !!!!
- Hollywood and American Culture, History, Economy: Religion, Violence, Language in Movies (1992)
- Study abroad improves your language skills in global economy
Fatima Serra, study abroad advisor at Salem State University ( Salem, Massachusetts), talks about the ways in which studying abroad helps students acquire the ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Economy!
Click on an item to play that video:
Quotes about Economy
A comprehensive national energy policy is critical to our nation's economy and our national security. Energy expenditures account for about 7% percent of our total economy and influence pricing in the much of the rest of the economy. (Heather Wilson)
more quotes about economy...
Scrabble value of E1C3O1N1O1M3Y4
The value of this 7-letter word is 14 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ECONOMY
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Economy!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Economy to see it in context!