On this page:
- Eleazar or Elazar was a priest in the Hebrew Bible, the second Kohen Gadol - succeeding his father Aaron. He was a nephew of Moses.
- also known as 以利亞撒
- child of Aaron
- profession: High priest
- Eleazar is a Jewish martyr portrayed in 2 Maccabees 6. Verse 18 describes him as "one of the leading teachers of the law," and "of distinguished bearing." We learn from verse 24 that he was ninety at the time of his death. Under a persecution instigated by Antiochus IV Epiphanes, Eleazar was forced to open his mouth and eat pork, but he spat it out and submitted to flogging. He was then privately permitted to eat meat that he could pretend was pork, but he refused and was flogged to death. The narrator relates that in his death he left "a heroic example and a glorious memory,".
- Eleazar was one of the Three Mighty Warriors and an officer under David, according to 2 Samuel and 2 Chronicles. His father was Dodai or Dodo, and he was a Benjamite through his ancestor Ahoah.
- Eleazar was a Jewish High Priest during the time of the Second Temple. He was the son of Onias I and brother of Simon I.
- born in 0259 B.C. (2274 years ago)
- nationality: Israel
- profession: High priest
- died in 0244 B.C. (2259 years ago)
- Eleazar, son of Aminadab, was an inhabitant of Kiriath-Jearim and was "consecrated" to guard the Ark of the Covenant, while it remained in the house of his father Abinadab.
- Eleazar was son of Pinhas associated with the priests in taking charge of the sacred vessels brought back to Jerusalem after the Babylonian Exile.
- Eleazar: Spanish painter and sculptor who was born in Siles in 1954. He lives and works in Barcelona, the city where he has his workshop since 1979.
There are other people with in their name, like Eric Eleazar, Eleazar Gómez, Eleazar Ortiz, Eleazar Avaran, Eleazar Chisma, Eleazar García, Eleazar Lipsky, Eleazar Osorio, Eleazar Jiménez, Eleazar Rodgers and many others.
Eleazar was a member of the Denali Coven. He was originally a guard of the Volturi until he met his mate Carmen, and then later left the Volturi to find peace with his love. Soon after leaving the Volturi, Carmen and himself joined the Denali Coven many years after it was established. Eleazar is a "vegetarian" although he wasn't always one. Edward said that if they had never found the Denali Coven, both Carmen and Eleazar would of found another way to live, one way or the other.
- created by Stephenie Meyer
- in films:
Eleazar is a common Jewish given name for a male.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Eleazar
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Peg Augustine
Later Eleazar and Joshua divided the land by lots among the tribes of Israel. Numbers 20:25-28; 34:17; Joshua ...
by David Noel Freedman, Allen C. Myers, Astrid B. Beck
ELEAZAR (Heb. 'el'azdr) (also AVARAN) 1.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Eleazar
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photo about Eleazar
Portrait of Eleazar Swalmius
Only recently attributed to Rembrandt. Years of varnish and dirt had obscured it somewhat, and it was believed to have been painted by someone else.
Photo credit: Zooey_
Video about Eleazar
Video shows what Eleazar means. Any of a number of men in the Old Testament, including a son of Aaron.. of biblical origin.. Eleazar Meaning. How to ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Eleazar!
Scrabble value of E1L1E1A1Z10A1R1
The value of this 7-letter word is 16 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Eleazar to find many related words and phrases!