The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun emblem:
On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun emblem
What does emblem mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: emblems
- special design or visual object representing a quality, type, group, etc.
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- more generic words: design / figure / pattern = a decorative or artistic work
- more specific terms:
- colophon = a publisher's emblem printed in a book
- colours / colors = a distinguishing emblem
- crest = in medieval times, an emblem used to decorate a helmet
- Cross = a representation of the structure on which Jesus was crucified
- device = an emblematic design
- flag = emblem usually consisting of a rectangular piece of cloth of distinctive design
- heraldry = emblem indicating the right of a person to bear arms
- skull and crossbones = emblem warning of danger or death
- totem = emblem consisting of an object such as an animal or plant
- totem pole = a tribal emblem consisting of a pillar carved and painted with totemic figures
- a visible symbol representing an abstract idea
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- synonym of emblem: allegory
- more generic terms: symbol / symbolic representation / symbolisation / symbolization = something visible that by association or convention represents something else that is invisible
- more specific terms:
- scarlet letter = the letter A in red
- cupid = a symbol for love in the form of a cherubic naked boy with wings and a bow and arrow
- donkey = the symbol of the Democratic Party
- dove = an emblem of peace
- eagle = an emblem representing power
- elephant = the symbol of the Republican Party
- fasces = bundle of rods containing an axe with the blade protruding; in ancient Rome it was a symbol of a magistrate's power
- national flag / ensign = an emblem flown as a symbol of nationality
- hammer and sickle = the emblem on the flag of the Soviet Union
- red flag = the emblem of socialist revolution
- Shield of David / Solomon's seal / Star of David / Magen David / Mogen David = a six-pointed star formed from two equilateral triangles
- badge = an emblem (a small piece of plastic or cloth or metal) that signifies your status
- Paschal Lamb / Agnus Dei = figure of a lamb
- maple-leaf = the emblem of Canada
- medallion = an emblem indicating that a taxicab is registered
- spread eagle = an emblem (an eagle with wings and legs spread) on the obverse of the Great Seal of the United States
- Hakenkreuz / swastika = the official emblem of the Nazi Party and the Third Reich
Specialised definition of the noun emblem
Glossary of sports
in sport, the sign for national origin or nationality of a team. The question of emblems frequently becomes a point of controversy within the framework of sport politics. It also plays an important role in the discussions about the organization of Olympic Games. (Herbert Haag & Gerald Haag. 2003. Dictionary. Sport, Physical Education, Sport Science. Kiel, Institut für Sport und Sportwissenschaften)
Emblem is an unincorporated community in western Big Horn County, Wyoming, United States. The community has an official population of 10 although the surrounding rural area increases the number to over 100. It lies along the concurrent U.S. Routes 14, 16, and 20, west-northwest of the town of Basin, the county seat of Big Horn County. Its elevation is 4,449 feet. Although Emblem is unincorporated, it has a post office, with the ZIP code of 82422.
"Emblem" is a musical album of Yuma Nakamura.
- released on (27 years ago)
"Emblem" is a 2012 short film directed by Hayama Rei.
- country: Japan
- producer: Hayama Rei
- cinematography by Hayama Rei
- edited by Hayama Rei
- music by Hayama Rei
- released in
Emblem: An emblem is an abstract or representational pictorial image that represents a concept, like a moral truth, or an allegory, or a person, like a king or saint.
- also known as İmlek, Belirtke
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Emblem
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
African Children's Masquerades by Simon Ottenberg, David Aaron Binkley
Its primary emblem is a rhomboid-shaped wooden bull roarer whose fearsome sound recalls that of the lion and...
The fourth class, the guinea fowls, alludes to vitality, energy, and fecundity and its emblem is an iron hoe struck by an iron key.
The Circle of Bliss (2003)
Buddhist Meditational Art by John C. Huntington, Dina Bangdel, Robert A. F. Thurman
Akshobhya presides over the V'ajra family, whose emblem is the vajra and whose symbolic animal, or vahana, is the elephant. "Jewel-Born," Ratnasambhava's transcendental insight is the equality of all things (samata jnana). It is the antidote ...
by Princess Sophie Audouin-Mamikonian
Its emblem is a wall of spellblock stones below the OtherWorld sun. Krankar is the land of trolls. Its capital is Kria.
Its emblem is an astrolabe under a star and the symbol for infinity (∞). Vampyrs are sages. They are patient and cultured, and ...
The Fraternal Monitor (1913)
The emblem is a Triangle within a circle, and both within a square. Within the Triangle is a windglass...
The emblem is the five-pointed Star typifying the principles of Virtue, Mercy, Charity, Fidelity and Love. The colors are red, white and blue, ...
Army Officer's Guide (2014)
by Robert J. Dalessandro
The emblem is a scarlet ribbon with the Silver Star color design superimposed in the center, set in a gold-colored metal frame with laurel leaves. Meritorious Unit Commendation. Awarded to service and support units for at least six months of ...
by Mavis Maclean, John Eekelaar
Its national emblem is the three colours flag, blue, white, red. The national anthem is la Marseillaise. The Republic motto is 'Freedom, Equality, Fraternity'. Its principle is: government of the people, by the people and for the people ( translation ...
Eighteenth-Century Poetry (2014)
An Annotated Anthology by David Fairer, Christine Gerrard
t 50–5 from Austria (whose emblem is the eagle) in the fourteenth Switzerland ('Helvetia') fought for its independence century, with the help of the legendary archer William Tell. Those in Britain ...
by Jean-Charles Seigneuret
MANFRED WEIDHORN EMBLEM An emblem is a combination of inscriptio ( motto), pictura (picture), and subscripts (poem or prose passage) used collectively to expound some moral or ethical truth. The inscriptio, a short motto or quotation ...
The London encyclopaedia, or, Universal dictionary of science, art, literature, and practical mechanics, by the orig. ed. of the Encyclopaedia metropolitana [T. Curtis]. (1839)
by Thomas Curtis (of Grove house sch, Islington)
Emblematically, Emblem' atist. Yt.tmbleme ; Ital.
A Dictionary of Symbols (2013)
by J. E. Cirlot
Umbrella This symbol is invariably related to the sun-shade, which is a solar emblem of the monarchs of certain peoples. But its mechanism has tended to lend it a phallic significance. It is a fathersymbol for this reason and because of its ...
by Peter Childs, Roger Fowler
Emblem a style, as well as a poem for a specific dead person. This second, looser, definition of elegy is invoked by literary historians to characterize assorted melancholy poems of any period, for example, the so-called 'Anglo-Saxon ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Emblem
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Emblem
Click on an item to view that photo:
Taken during a Nottingham photography meet-up.
Photo credit: ☺ Lee J Haywood
Photo credit: Dekcuf
Photo credit: Ankur's
Photo credit: s.s.minnow
Photo credit: Danielle Scott
Photo credit: commorancy
Photo credit: Lynn Park (I think I'm back)
Photo credit: pelican
Photo credit: Herb Real
Photo credit: mikecogh
Photo credit: chidorian
Photo credit: Drew Coffman
Sam Francis (1923-1994)
Dallas Museum of Art, Dallas, TX
Photo credit: rjhuttondfw
view day at the fire department
Photo credit: MelisaTG
Ryerson Engineers are everywhere..... Southern Toronto.
Photo credit: Saku Takakusaki
- DKW Emblem
Photo credit: mespig
- Holden emblem dealer sign
Holden emblem dealer sign. Taken at the Temora Rural Museum, Temora, NSW.
Photo credit: sv1ambo
- Fiat Emblem (from X1/9) 08-13-11 16:34hrs
Photo credit: BrainThought
- Japanese Police emblem
Photo credit: matsuyuki
- Chevrolet Corvette emblem
Photo credit: derrich
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Emblem
Click on an item to play that video:
- Emblem Meaning
Video shows what emblem means. A representative symbol, such as a trademark or logo.. Something which represents a larger whole.. Inlay; inlaid or mosaic ...
- Ryan Hayashi - Karate Lesson - Meaning of "MEI" (Ming) and JKA Emblem
Ryan Hayashi explains the meaning of the left hand over right fist gesture, and the JKA sun and moon symbol, at the OMNIS Kampfsport Akademie (Omnis ...
- 1969-72 Chevelle Rear Emblem Explanation
Learn how to identify differences between the 1969-72 Chevelle Rear Emblems.
- The Demented Emblem (Explanation)
- Dr Derek Willis explains the meaning behind the 2016 emblem
- Explanation of "Hex Emblem" AI Project
- MEANING OF DOTA 2 EMBLEM
- National emblem Meaning
Video shows what national emblem means. The official emblem that represents a nation.. National emblem Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio ...
- 2013 Aug explanation of Sea Base emblem
- Description of Eternal Mewar Emblem
- Sweet emblem (DESCRIPTION)
View more videos about Fire Emblem.
See also the pronunciation examples of Emblem!
Quotes about Emblem
Scrabble value of E1M3B3L1E1M3
The value of this 6-letter word is 12 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of EMBLEM
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Emblem!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Emblem to see it in context!