On this page:
- Definition of the noun employ
- Definition of the verb employ
- Phrases with employ
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for employ
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for employ
- Usage statistics about employ
- Photos about employ
- Video language resources about employ
- Quotes about employ
- Scrabble value of E1M3P3L1O1Y4
- Anagrams of EMPLOY
- Share this page
Employ is sometimes a misspelling of employees.
Definition of the noun employ
What does employ mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: employs
- the state of being employed or having a job
Definition of the verb employ
What does employ mean as a doing word?
Employ is one of the top 1000 most common verbs in the English language.
verb - inflections: employed | employing | employs
- put into service; make work or employ for a particular purpose or for its inherent or natural purpose
- example: They employ the animals
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme] [Adverb] I used the money well [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme] [Predicate, variable control with infinitive] I used the cupboard to store food [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme] for [Predicate] I spent the money for my training
- lexical domain: Consumption - verbs of eating and drinking
- synonyms of employ: apply / use / utilise / utilize
- more specific terms:
- consecrate / dedicate / commit / devote / give = give entirely to a specific person, activity, or cause
- play = employ in a game or in a specific position
- play = use or move
- pull out all the stops = use all resources available
- assign / put = attribute or give
- ply = use diligently
- address = address or apply oneself to something, direct one's efforts towards something, such as a question
- waste = use inefficiently or inappropriately
- misapply / misuse = apply to a wrong thing or person
- avail = use to one's advantage
- overdrive / overuse = make use of too often or too extensively
- cannibalise / cannibalize = use parts of something to repair something else
- reprocess / recycle / reuse = use again after processing
- exploit / work = use or manipulate to one's advantage
- exploit / tap = draw from
- extend / strain = use to the utmost
- exercise / exert = put to use
- enjoy = have benefit from
- take = travel or go by means of a certain kind of transportation, or a certain route
- share = use jointly or in common
- put to work / work = cause to work
- implement = apply in a manner consistent with its purpose or design
- fall back / resort / recur = have recourse to
- cause: apply / go for / hold
- engage or hire for work
- example: How many people has she employed?
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme] I hired two secretaries [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme] as [Predicate, not sentential clause] I hired two secretaries as helpers
- lexical domain: Activities - verbs of political and social activities and events
- synonyms of employ: engage / hire
- more specific terms:
- featherbed = hire more workers than are necessary
- fill = appoint someone to
- engage = ask to represent
- ship = hire for work on a ship
- contract / sign on / sign up / sign = engage by written agreement
- rat = employ scabs or strike breakers in
- subcontract / farm out / job = arranged for contracted work to be done by others
Alternative definition of the verb employ
- To give someone work or a job.
- To put something into use or service; to make use of.
Phrases with employ
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for employ
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Elijah Enigma (2014)
The Prophet, King Ahab and the Rebirth of Monotheism in the Book of Kings by Hillel I. Millgram
The method we will employ is an analysis of the text on two different levels.
The reason given for no extra credit for educational improvements by the hard to employ is that one of the barriers defining...
Its Achievements and Failures by Kazuo Seiyama
To specify a good society, or public goods, what line of reasoning we should employ is the most fundamental and most controversial question. If one presupposes the existence of some kind of transcendent being, 44 The Contractarian Model ...
The Blackwell Encyclopedia of Management and Encyclopedic Dictionaries, The Blackwell Encyclopedic Dictionary of Management Information Systems (1999)
by Gordon B. Davis, Gordon Bitter Davis
To reflect this change in emphasis from data processing to management support, the systems and function began to employ the term management information systems. The term included support for various levels of management and for ...
Encyclopaedia Perthensis; Or Universal Dictionary of the Arts, Sciences, Literature, &c. Intended to Supersede the Use of Other Books of Reference (1816)
It is used both as agent ; as, the king employed the minister! or cause, as, the pubttek credit employed the mi- For"thrice, at least, in compass of the yeas, The vineyard must employ the sturdy steer To turn the glebe. Dryden. a. In the following ...
by Encyclopaedia Perthensis
To Employ, v. a. [emploicr, French.] 1. To busy; to keep at work ; to exercise. — It is used both as agent ; as, thf king employed the minister; or, cause, as, the publ' ck credit employed the minister. — For thrice, at least, in compass of the year, The ...
by Louisa Pansegrouw
sovereignty, supremacy empire ruler emperor employ apply, commission, devote, engage, enlist, enrol, exercise, fill, handle, hire, manipulate, occupy, operate, place, retain, service, spend, use, utilise, wield employ again re-engage, re-use, ...
by Donald Ricky
and to employ one superintendent of teaching and two teachers; to build two blacksmiths' shops, to one of which shall be attached a tin-shop and to the other a gunsmith's shop; one carpenter's shop, one wagon and plough maker's shop, ...
VGM's Careers Encyclopedia (2001)
by Editors of VGM
On small newspapers, advertising may be sold by all members of the staff, or the paper may employ a part-time advertising salesperson. Even more advertising dollars are spent on magazine advertising. Magazines use national sales ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for employ
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about employ
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb employ:
Photos about employ
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: ephidryn
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about employ
Click on an item to play that video:
- Employ Meaning
Video shows what employ means. The state of being an employee; employment.. employ synonyms: employment, hire. Employ Meaning. How to pronounce ...
- Straight "A" Vocab - Learn Vocabulary from Sherlock Holmes - Feral Discombobulate Employ
Mr. "A" shares the Straight "A" Word of the Day! - Feral, Discombobulate, Employ (2nd) With Sherlock Holmes, you are most likely to get multiple Words of the ...
- Straight "A" Vocab - Learn Vocabulary from a Superhero/villain - Employ, Agent
Mr. "A" shares the Straight "A" Word(s) of the Day - Employ, Agent Remember to look for Secondary meanings!
- Employ a steam engine to crack a nut Meaning
Video shows what employ a steam engine to crack a nut means. To do a simple task in an overcomplicated manner.. Employ a steam engine to crack a nut ...
See also the pronunciation examples of employ!
Quotes about employ
If you suspect a man, don't employ him, and if you employ him, don't suspect him.
more quotes about employ...
Scrabble value of E1M3P3L1O1Y4
The value of this 6-letter word is 13 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of EMPLOY
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of employ!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of employ to see it in context!