The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Comparison of usage frequency between the noun employee and its most common antonym:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun employee
- Phrases with Employee
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Employee
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Employee
- Photos about Employee
- Video language resources about Employee
- Quotes about Employee
- Scrabble value of E1M3P3L1O1Y4E1E1
- Share this page
Employee is sometimes a misspelling of employees.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun employee
What does employee mean as a name of something?
Employee is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: employees
- a worker who is hired to perform a job
- examples: Every boss has his or her favorite employee. | And that's why for almost a hundred years, any employee has been able to go to his employer and insist on being paid in cash. | The outraged employee resigned at once. | Bankruptcy is to the employer what dismissal is to the employee. | Work pace is left up to the individual employee. | Each employee is entitled to a two week paid vacation per year. | The employee asked for the all the members rise in pay. | Every employee is supposed to keep his own vehicle in perfect condition. | The new employee glossed over his first mistake. | He came upon his employee who'd been looking after the place in his absence.
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- antonym: employer
- more generic word: worker = a person who works at a specific occupation
- more specific terms:
- mixologist / barkeeper / bartender / barkeep / barman = an employee who mixes and serves alcoholic drinks at a bar
- clerk = an employee who performs clerical work
- company man = an employee whose first loyalty is to the company rather than to fellow workers
- scrivener / copyist / scribe = someone employed to make written copies of documents and manuscripts
- copywriter = a person employed to write advertising or publicity copy
- crewman = a member of a work crew
- delivery boy / deliveryman / deliverer = someone employed to make deliveries
- dining-room attendant / restaurant attendant = someone employed to provide service in a dining room
- dispatcher = employee of a transportation company who controls the departures of vehicles according to weather conditions and in the interest of efficient service
- dog catcher = an employee of a municipal pound who is hired to round up stray dogs and cats
- floater = an employee who is reassigned from job to job as needed
- floorwalker / shopwalker = an employee of a retail store who supervises sales personnel and helps with customer problems
- gardener = someone employed to work in a garden
- gasman = someone employed by a gas company
- gofer = an employee whose duties include running errands
- hire = a newly hired employee
- hired help = employee hired for domestic or farm work
- pensionary / hireling = a person who works only for money
- jobholder = an employee who holds a regular job
- line worker = an employee who works on an assembly line
- liveryman = a worker in a livery stable
- office boy = a young man who is employed to do odd jobs in a business office
- organization man = an employee who sacrifices his own individuality for the good of an organization
- Pullman porter / porter = a railroad employee who assists passengers
- potboy / potman = a worker in an inn or public house who serves customers and does various chores
- public servant = someone who holds a government position
- registrar = a person employed to keep a record of the owners of stocks and bonds issued by the company
- sales representative / salesperson / sales rep = a person employed to represent a business and to sell its merchandise
- sandwichman = a person with advertising boards hanging from the shoulders
- spotter = a worker employed to apply spots
- spotter = a worker employed at a dry-cleaning establishment to remove spots
- staff member / staffer = an employee who is a member of a staff of workers
- stage technician / stagehand = an employee of a theater who performs work involved in putting on a theatrical production
- stock-taker / stocktaker = an employee whose job is to take inventory
- sweeper = an employee who sweeps
- toll collector / tollgatherer / toll agent / toll taker / tollkeeper / tollman / toller = someone employed to collect tolls
- railroad man / railway man / railroader / railwayman / trainman = an employee of a railroad
- turncock = one employed to control water supply by turning water mains on and off
- typist = someone paid to operate a typewriter
- working person / working man / workingman / workman = an employee who performs manual or industrial labor
Alternative definition of the noun employee
- An individual who provides labor to a company or another person.
- Employee is a fictional character from the 2014 short drama film The Aftermath of the Inauguration of the Public Toilet at Kilometer 375.
- in the film "The Aftermath Of The Inauguration Of The Public Toilet At Kilometer 375", played by Samy Sayed
- Employee is a fictional character from Harvest.
- Employee is a fictional character from the 1953 film Terminal Station.
- Employee is a fictional character from the 1974 film Rabid Dogs.
- Employee is a fictional character from the 1991 film Another You.
- Employee is a fictional character from the 2002 film Confessions of a Dangerous Mind.
- Employee is a fictional character from the tv series Manhattan Love Story.
- Employee is a fictional character from the James Bond film, Tomorrow Never Dies.
- Employee a.k.a. Employée is a fictional character from the 2013 film Diego Star.
- Employee is a fictional character from the 2002 film Minority Report.
- Employee is a fictional character from the 1999 film Big Daddy.
- Employee is a fictional character from the 2009 film Miss March.
There are other characters with in their name, like Insurance Company Employee.
"Employee" is a musical album of Yuco.
- released on
Phrases with Employee
- Employee benefit
- Employee handbook
- employee turnover
- employee ownership
- employee savings plan
- employee-owned business
- employee-owned enterprise
- employee stock ownership plan
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Employee
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Code of Federal Regulations (1995)
Collectively bargained employee means a collectively bargained employee within the meaning of $1.410(b)—6(d)(2). Covered by a collective bargaining agreement. Covered by a collective bargaining agreement means covered by a ...
Collectively bargained employee means a collectively bargained employee within the meaning of § l.410(b)—6(d)(2). Covered by a collective bargaining agreement. Covered by a collective bargaining agreement means covered by a ...
by Richard Earp, Associate Professor Sikha Bagui, Dr, Sikha Bagui, Associate Professor of Computer Science University of West Florida Dr Sikha Bagui
about employees; hence, an employee is an entity. Whereas we used to refer to the employee ...
by United States. Internal Revenue Service
A highly compensated employee is an individual who: • Owned more than 5% of the capital or profits in your business at any time during the year or the preceding year, or • For the preceding year, received compensation from you of more than ...
If the United States or any federal department, office, agency, officer, or employee is a party to be served, service shall be made on the Solicitor General of the United States, Room 5614, Department of Justice, 950 Pennsylvania Ave., N. W., ...
Your employee is a qualified employee (defined later), 2 ) The employee does not use the transportation for personal purposes other ...
The term “employee benefits” describes a form of indirect compensation offered to employees by employers in addition to regular wage or salary compensation ( Rosenbloom, 1996). Flexible benefits are an approach to employee benefits in ...
by Leo Paul Dana
Generally, an employee start-up is defined as a new firm founded by an individual which has been employed by another private firm within the same industry prior to the foundation. With respect to the terminology, there has been some ...
by David E. Marcinko, MBA, CFP, CMP
EMPLOYEE ASSISTANCE PROGRAM (EAP): A service, plan, or set of benefits that are designed for personal or family problems, including mental health, substance abuse, gambling addiction, marital problems, parenting problems, emotional ...
by John Owen Edward Clark
golden handcuffs A contractual arrangement between a company and its employee whereby the employee has a strong financial incentive (other than the loss of normal salary) to remain with the company, such as a low-interest mortgage or ...
by W. Davis Folsom, Rick Boulware
The Age Discrimination Employment Act protects against age discrimination, and the AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT protect employees with physical or mental disabilities. The EMPLOYEE RETIREMENT INCOME SECURITY ACT of ...
by Lawrence Silver, Robert E Stevens, Kenneth Clow
CAFETERIA PLANS Under a cafeteria plan, employers do not simply offer a medical plan and other benefits such as term life insurance, but rather give each employee a certain amount of “benefit dollars” equal to the amount the employer ...
by Robert E. Stevens
EMPLOYEE STOCK PURCHASE PLAN (ESPP) Similar to a stock option plan, an ESPP allows employees to buy stock, usually through payroll deductions, over a three- to twentyseven-month “offering period.” The price is generally discounted ...
Blackleg An employee who continues working when there is a strike. Black List (1 ) A list of goods, people or companies, which have been blacked. (2) A list of people considered by an employer to be too dangerous or disruptive to employ.
by Stewart Clegg, James R. Bailey
Major topics included employee productivity, satisfaction, motivation, and work group dynamics. Conceptual Overview In 1924 the National Research Council of the National Academy of Sciences along with researchers from the Hawthorne ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Employee
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Employee
Click on an item to view that photo:
At Home Depot, flowers are not the only addition for the upcoming spring season. Stores like this one are in the process of hiring seasonal employees. KOMU Photo/ Alex Schupp.
Photo credit: KOMUnews
The DVD in the foreground is Terminator 2.
Photo credit: Clean Wal-Mart
- Sovereign Hill Employee
Note: For Sovereign Hill Museums Association and for Sovereign Hill staff and volunteers, the attribution specified in the copyright is not required. Attribution is not required from any person included in this photo.
Sovereign Hill, Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
Photo credit: seefit
- Employee of last month!
Photo credit: Starbug
View more pictures about Employee of the Month.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Employee
Click on an item to play that video:
- Exempt Employee Definition
- Definition of loyalty of an Employee | Career Training Video in Hinglish
Tried to explain the definition of Loyalty of a salaried person towards his employer / organisation. Hope you will like it. TSMadaan Motivational Speaker | Life ...
- Wells Fargo Employee Asks For Raise, Shows Internet the Definition of Ballsiness
When it comes to negotiating a raise at your place of employ, what's your strategy? The long con of keeping your head down, grinding for years, and hoping to ...
- Full-time Employee ACA Definition: M3 Insurance HCR
UNDER HEALTH CARE REFORM, WHAT DETERMINES A FULL-TIME EMPLOYEE WITH M3 INSURANCE ATTORNEY With the Affordable Care Act, or Health ...
- The Definition of Employee Advocacy with Charlene Li of Altimeter
Employee Advocacy Defined: An employee's sharing of their support of a company's brand, product, or service. Employee Advocacy is a key part of your digital ...
- Employee Meaning
Video shows what employee means. An individual who provides labor to a company or another person.. employee pronunciation. How to pronounce, definition ...
- Employee Engagement - The role of Meaning in sustaining passion at work
How does passion in the workplace - sustainable high levels of employee engagement - occur? Here, in the second video in the series, Clive Lewis, CEO of ...
- The Definition, Purpose and Roadblocks to Employee Engagement
In this session "The Awesome Power of Employee Engagement" at the 2010 IW Best Plants Conference, Eric Kulikowski, Director of North American Operations ...
- Employee handbook Meaning
Video shows what employee handbook means. A book or manual given to an employee of a business or company that details its guidelines, expectations, and ...
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = Government employee pension schemes
- OA Explanation to State Park Employee
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = Employee relocation services
- Daily Meaning: How to deal with overpromise employee #Cosmopolitan90.4FM
Pernah merasa 'ketipu' saat merekrut karyawan atau tim Anda? Tertipu versi 1: Kualitas berbanding terbalik dengan yang ditunjukkan pada saat interview ...
- Reading Employee Body Language - Contractor Building Tip #99
- Bilingual Cochlear Employee Discusses Miracle of Sound Regardless of the Language You Speak
Like Cochlear on Facebook, facebook.com/Cochlear, and follow Cochlear on Twitter, @CochlearUS, to connect with Elis and the rest of the social media team.
- How to Hire a New Employee : The Job Description: Hiring a New Employee
How to hire a new employee and ensure you make the right decision; get expert tips and advice on hiring practices in this free instructional video. Expert: Tine ...
- Whole Foods revises employee language policy
Facing threats of national boycotts from Latino groups and a slew of online petitions, Whole Foods announced Friday that the organic grocery chain has revised ...
- How to Fire Employee Who Doesn't do Their Job Description - Two Minute Tidbit
Victoria Mavis, an Expert in Human Resources, reviews with an employer how to fire an employee for not doing their job description in this 'two minute tidbit' ...
- Joke of The Day - Swindling Employee (In Afrikaans language) - 28 Jan 2011
Now let's listen to a joke told in Afrikaans, a language spoken in South Africa and Namibia. It is entitled "Swindling Employee." The story is told of the owner of a ...
- Employee group rules description
- Workplace ESL Solutions students role-play employee phone call
Workplace ESL Solutions students perform a role-play scenario as employees at a hotel. Workplace ESL Solutions teaches very specific workplace vocabulary ...
- Employee Work Description
- Employee Position Description Questionnaire
Employee Position Description Questionnaire.
- Government employee's property description
- Skagway Employee Language- Sign Grunting
- De Vries WFM Employee Self Service Module (English language)
- On the Language Required for Employee Criticism
- Learning the local language always helps the expat employee
See also the pronunciation examples of Employee!
Quotes about Employee
I am not a federal employee. I am a constitutional officer. My job is the Constitution of the United States, I am not a government employee. I am in the Constitution. (Tom DeLay)
more quotes about employee...
Scrabble value of E1M3P3L1O1Y4E1E1
The value of this 8-letter word is 15 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Employee to see it in context!