The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Comparison of usage frequency between the noun employer and its most common antonym:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun employer
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Employer
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Employer
- Photos about Employer
- Video language resources about Employer
- Quotes about Employer
- Scrabble value of E1M3P3L1O1Y4E1R1
- Anagrams of EMPLOYER
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun employer
What does employer mean as a name of something?
Employer is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: employers
- a person or firm that employs workers
- examples: Mary was given a raise by her employer. | Tim's employer promised him pie in the sky benefits. | The girl made off with her employer's money. | The employer imposed a heavy task on them. | And that's why for almost a hundred years, any employee has been able to go to his employer and insist on being paid in cash. | Bankruptcy is to the employer what dismissal is to the employee. | The employer was quite taken by her charm. | The employer made a new offer to the workers. | Our employer will not give way to our demands for higher wages. | His employer was sincerely grateful for his cooperation.
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- antonym: employee
- more generic word: leader = a person who rules or guides or inspires others
- more specific terms:
- hirer / boss = a person responsible for hiring workers
- master = directs the work of others
- mistress = a woman master who directs the work of others
- padrone = an employer who exploits Italian immigrants in the U.S.
- Simon Legree / slave driver = a cruel employer who demands excessive work from the employees
Alternative definition of the noun employer
- A person, firm or other entity which pays for or hires the services of another person.
- Employer is a fictional film character.
- Employer is a fictional character from the 1939 film Smith.
- Employer is a fictional character from the 1989 film Akanksha.
- Employer is a fictional character from the 1955 film Missamma.
- Employer is a fictional character from the 1983 film Agar Tum Na Hote.
- Employer is a fictional character from the 2010 film Shadows and Lies.
The employer of this fictional character. Note that this can be either a wholly fictional employer or a real-world employer that has been used fictionally.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Employer
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Business Immigration Law (2000)
Strategies for Employing Foreign Nationals by Rodney A. Malpert, Amanda Petersen
The employer is a nonprofit research organization or gmernmcni.il...
BENEFITS PROVIDED BY CERTAIN INTERNATIONAL ORGANISATIONS TO BE EXEMPT 55 A benefit provided in respect ofthe employment of an employee of an employer is an exempt benefit if: (a) the employer is an organisation that, but ...
Labour Law in Bulgaria (2011)
by Vasil Mrŭchkov
employer is a corporate body, 'employer' not only comprises the corporate body as a whole, but also its subsidiary as well as...
by Simeon Larson, Bruce Nissen
Since the direct employer is the person or institution with whom the worker enters directly into a work contract in accordance with definite conditions, we must understand as the indirect employer many different factors, other than the direct ...
Including Evanston, Oak Park, Schaumburg, Wheaton, and Naperville by First Books, Mark Wukas
The town's largest employer is the corporate headquarters of telecommunications firm, Andrews Corporation, followed by School District 1 35.
by Richard Rognehaugh
according to contract or terms of employment Employee Retirement Income Security Act — see ERISA employee welfare plan — see ERISA plan employer — a fairly wide definition, patterned after the entities listed within the 1938 Fair Labor ...
by Ross M. Mullner
Employer-Sponsored Health Insurance Coverage In the United States, obtaining health insurance coverage through an individual's employer has historically been the most common mechanism for individuals under age 65, although ...
by W. Davis Folsom, Rick Boulware
An employer cannot discharge an employee who wishes to take advantage of the FMLA. Finally, the CONSUMER CREDIT PROTECTION ACT prohibits the discharge of employees on the basis of garnishment of wages. States can also enact ...
Answers to Your Most Frequently Asked Legal Questions by Shae Irving, Nolo Editors
If one employee is harassing another through the company's email or telephone system, for example, the employer has a legal obligation to look into it, which might require monitoring employee communications. And employers have a ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Employer
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Employer
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: mikecogh
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Employer
Click on an item to play that video:
- Employer Meaning
Video shows what employer means. A person, firm or other entity which pays for or hires the services of another person.. Employer Meaning. How to pronounce ...
- An employer's definition of employability
- Definition of Employer's Liability Insurance : Financial Advice & Insurance
- Endevr - Employer Product Explanation
- Definition of Employer, Respondent and Employer
See also the pronunciation examples of Employer!
Quotes about Employer
Hardly a competent workman can be found who does not devote a considerable amount of time to studying just how slowly he can work and still convince his employer that he is going at a good pace. (Frederick W. Taylor)
more quotes about employer...
Scrabble value of E1M3P3L1O1Y4E1R1
The value of this 8-letter word is 15 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of EMPLOYER
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Employer!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Employer to see it in context!