On this page:
- Definition of the noun ensign
- Phrases with Ensign
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Ensign
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Ensign
- Photos about Ensign
- Video about Ensign
- Quotes about Ensign
- Scrabble value of E1N1S1I1G2N1
- Anagrams of ENSIGN
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun ensign
What does ensign mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: ensigns
- a person who holds a commissioned rank in the United States Navy or the United States Coast Guard; below lieutenant junior grade
- an emblem flown as a symbol of nationality
- colors flown by a ship to show its nationality
Alternative definition of the noun ensign
- A badge of office, rank, or power
- The lowest grade of commissioned officer in the United States Navy, junior to a lieutenant junior grade.
- A flag or banner carried by military units. See standard, color, colour.
- [nautical] The principal flag or banner flown by a ship to indicate nationality.
- A junior commissioned officer in the 18th and 19th Centuries whose duty was to carry the unit's ensign.
- A prominent flag or banner.
Ensign is a hardcore punk band from New Jersey, USA. It was formed in 1995 and signed to Indecision Records in 1996. They signed to the larger label "next door", Dexter Holland's Nitro Records in 1998 and finally came to rest at Blackout Records in 2003 after a brief sortie back to Indecision in 2000.
- genres: Hardcore punk, Punk rock
- albums: "Direction of Things to Come", "Love the Music, Hate the Kids", "The Price of Progression", "Three Years Two Months Eleven Days", "Cast the First Stone", "Ensign", "Fall from Grace", "For What It's Worth E.P.", "Death by Stereo/Ensign", "Good Riddance / Ensign"
- official website: www.ensignnj.com
"Ensign": Ensign's self-titled 7" EP was their first release on Orange County, California record label, Indecision Records. It was released in May, 1996 on 7" vinyl only. The production run was limited to 3336 on black vinyl, 330 on grey, 449 on blue and a further 100 on black vinyl with a different cover to coincide with a European tour. This was in line with Indecision Records tradition of putting out releases by new bands on colored and normal vinyl and was carried through to their next release, the Fall from Grace (EP). It was later re-released on CD as part of a retrospective compilation, Three Years Two Months Eleven Days, in April 2000 after the band had left to join Nitro Records in 1998.
- genre: Hardcore punk
- released in (19 years ago)
- Ensign is a fictional character from the 1998 film Queen Emeraldas.
- Ensign is a fictional character from 1995 film Peculiarities of National Hunt.
- Ensign is a fictional character from the 1943 film Destination Tokyo.
- Ensign is a fictional character from the 2011 film X-Men: First Class.
- Ensign is a fictional character in the 2012 film Battleship.
- Ensign is a fictional character from the 2000 film U-571.
- Ensign is a fictional character from the 2005 film Serenity.
- Ensign is a fictional film character.
- Ensign is a fictional character from the 2008 film Nim's Island.
- Ensign is a fictional character from the 1995 film Crimson Tide.
- Ensign is a fictional character from the 2010 film Beneath the Blue.
- Ensign is a fictional character from the 1975 film Jaws.
- Ensign is a fictional character from the 2012 film Mushrooming.
- Ensign is a fictional film character.
There are other characters with in their name, like Ensign Pulver.
Ensign is a city in Gray County, Kansas, United States. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 187.
- also known as Ensign, Kansas; Gray County / Ensign city
- part of Gray County, Kansas, United States of America
- Ensign: An ensign is a national flag when used at sea as a country's maritime flag, in vexillology, or a distinguishing token, emblem, or badge, such as a symbol of office in heraldry. The word has also given rise to the military rank of "ensign", a rank of junior officer once responsible for bearing the ensign.
- The Ensign of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, commonly shortened to Ensign, is an official periodical of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The magazine was first issued in January 1971 along with the correlated New Era and the Friend, all of which replaced the older church publications Improvement Era, Relief Society Magazine, The Instructor, and the Millennial Star. Unlike some of its predecessors, the Ensign contains no advertisements.
Phrases with Ensign
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Ensign
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Charles B. Husick
The United States yacht ensign is the red- and-white striped flag with a foul anchor in the blue canton within a circle of 13 stars. Originally restricted to documented yachts, it is now flown on recreational boats of all types and sizes instead of the ...
Chambers' Encyclopaedia (1874)
A Dictionary of Universal Knowledge for the People ...
SAINT GEORGE'S ENSIGN is the distinguishing flag of the British navy. It consists of a red cross on a white field, with a union-jack in the dexter chief corner , as shewn in fig. 2 of the article Flag. Under Flag Officer, it is implied that an admiral, ...
Chambers's Encyclopædia (1876)
A Dictionary of Universal Knowledge for the People
SAINT GEORGE'S ENSIGN is the distinguishing flag of the British navy. It consists of a red cross on a white field, with a union-jack in the dexter chief corner , as shewn in fig. 2 of the article FLAG. Under FLAG OFFICER, it is implied that an ...
* Petrarch calls Sienna, whose ensign is the wolf ...
in the years 1720, 1721, and 1722 by Edward Wright, Edward Wright (Esq.)
Among the rest there arc represented two Lions fair and fat, plac'd in the Water; two others, lean and meagre, upon dry Land; to denote that the Venetians ( whose Ensign is the Lion), while they employ themselves at Sea, will be rich and ...
Guppy Pilot (2011)
by Roger Smith
An ensign is a baby in diapers, whereas a jaygee is out for the team. We had a “ wetting down” party at the “O” Club. Then we went back to flying. FCLP was accomplished at the Naval Auxiliary Air Station at Charlestown on the south coast of ...
Now You Know, Volume 4 (2006)
The Book of Answers by Doug Lennox
” An ensign is a national flag displayed on ships and aircraft, while an insignia is a badge or emblem indicating rank, ...
Now You Know (2006)
The Book of Answers by Doug Lennox
” An ensign is a national flag displayed on ships and aircraft, while an insignia is a badge or emblem indicating rank, unit membership, or nationality. A flag is a cloth ...
Vico: The First New Science (2002)
by Gianbattista Vico, Leon Pompa
Such an ensign is that of the royal house of Spain, after it passed to the house of Austria from the dukes of Burgundy. This is adorned with at least two crests of dragons belching forth fire, which must be two supporters [on the emblem] of the ...
History and Hope by Margee M. Ensign, William E. Bertrand
Ensign is the Dean of the School of International Studies SIS), and Associate Provost for International Initiatives at the University of the Pacific that has campuses in San Francisco (Dugoni School of Dentistry), ...
To which is Added a Compendium of Historical, Biographical, Geographical, Scientific, Religious, and Sociological Names, and a Complete Summary of Human Achievement in the Nineteenth & Twentieth Centuries ...
BOLIVIA, Ensign. GREAT BRITAIN, union Jack. GREAT BRITAIN, MAN-of-war. A: OF ALL |||ONS UNITED STATES, cHINA, iMPERIAL STANDARD. CHINA, MERCHANT. Coch!N-cHINA, MERCHANT ED STATES, Ensign. UNITED STATES ...
The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia: The Century dictionary ... prepared under the superintendence of William Dwight Whitney (1903)
Argentine Republic (Ensign), Austria (Merchant), Belgium (Royal Standard), Bolivia, Brazil, Burma (Merchant), Chile, China (Ensign), Colombia (Merchant), Cuba, Denmark (Merchant, Royal Standard), Ecuador, Egypt, Khedive of, France, ...
The Star Trek Encyclopedia (2011)
by Michael Okuda, Denise Okuda, Debbie Mirek
GUEST CAST: Rosalind Chao as O'Brien, Keiko; John Vickery as Hagen, Andrus; Duke Moosekian as Gillespie, Chief; Craig Hurley as Peeples, Ensign; Brian Tochi as Lin, Ensign Peter; Lanei Chapman as Rager, Ensign; Colm Meaney as ...
A Work of Universal Reference in All Departments of Knowledge, with a New Atlas of the World by William Dwight Whitney
China (Ensign), Colombia (Merchant), Cuba, Denmark (Merchant, Royal StandardiEcuador, Egypt, thdive of, France, Germany (Ensign, Imperial Standard, National and Merchant), (in-5n Britain (Rod Ensign, Royal Standard, Union Jack, White ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Ensign
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Ensign
Click on an item to view that photo:
Ensign Paisley, 1985
Photo credit: instapinch
Progressive Comprehensive High School Mankon, Bamenda, Cameroon.
Photo credit: WABC Certified Business Coach • Counselor
- Ensign's Ensign
Photo credit: Jonathan Miske
- Manx Ensign
Isle of Man Ferry
Photo credit: Dave Hamster
- Macchi, M.5, Ensign Provost
- Ensign Karaberis in whites
- Ensign routemaster
Photo credit: sludgegulper
- Ensign Cameras
Photo credit: 70023venus2009
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about Ensign
Video shows what ensign means. A badge of office, rank, or power.. The lowest grade of commissioned officer in the United States Navy, junior to a lieutenant ...
View more videos about Blue Ensign.
See also the pronunciation examples of Ensign!
Quotes about Ensign
For America's economic future to remain prosperous, we must encourage pro-growth policies so that we continue to be the leader in innovation and entrepreneurship. (John Ensign)
more quotes about ensign...
Scrabble value of E1N1S1I1G2N1
The value of this 6-letter word is 7 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ENSIGN
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Ensign!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Ensign to see it in context!