The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Usage statistics for the noun environment:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun environment:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun environment
- Phrases with Environment
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Environment
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Environment
- Photos about Environment
- Video language resources about Environment
- Sign language
- Quotes about Environment
- Scrabble value of E1N1V4I1R1O1N1M3E1N1T1
- Share this page
The word environment and its family (environmental, environmentalist, environmentalists, environmentally, environments) are included in the Academic Word List by Dr. Averil Coxhead, which contains the 570 most frequent word families used in academic texts from a variety of subject areas, of interest for students that learn the words most needed to study at tertiary institutions.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun environment
What does environment mean as a name of something?
Environment is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: environments
- the totality of surrounding conditions
- example: he longed for the comfortable environment of his living room
- lexical domain: States - nouns denoting stable states of affairs
- more generic terms: situation / state of affairs = the general state of things
- more specific words:
- circumstance / context / setting = the set of facts or circumstances that surround a situation or event
- ecology = the environment as it relates to living organisms
- background / setting / scope = the state of the environment in which a situation exists
- home = an environment offering affection and security
- surroundings / milieu = the environmental condition
- domain / sphere / arena / field / orbit / area = a particular environment or walk of life
- street = the streets of a city viewed as a depressed environment in which there is poverty and crime and prostitution and dereliction
- the area in which something exists or lives
- lexical domain: Locations - nouns denoting spatial position
- synonyms of environment: environs / surround / surroundings
- more generic terms: geographic area / geographic region / geographical area / geographical region = a demarcated area of the Earth
- more specific terms:
- ambiance / ambience = the atmosphere of an environment
- medium = the surrounding environment
- setting / scene = the context and environment in which something is set
- element = the most favorable environment for a plant or animal
- home ground / habitat = the type of environment in which an organism or group normally lives or occurs
- melting pot = an environment in which many ideas and races are socially assimilated
- parts = the local environment
Alternative definition of the noun environment
- The surroundings of, and influences on, a particular item of interest.
- The natural world or ecosystem.
- All the elements over which a designer has no control and that affect a system or its inputs and outputs.
- A particular political or social setting, arena or condition.
- [computing] The software and/or hardware existing on any particular computer system.
- [programming] The environment of a function at a point during the execution of a program is the set of identifiers in the function's scope and their bindings at that point.
- [computing] The set of variables and their values in a namespace that an operating system associates with a process.
Specialised definition of the noun environment
Glossary of management / IT service management / service support
a collection of hardware, software, network communications and procedures that work together to provide a discrete type of computer service
- note: There may be one or more environments on a physical platform e.g. test, production. An environment has unique features and characteristics that dictate how they are administered in similar, yet diverse, manners.
- "Environment" is a 1917 silent film directed by James Kirkwood.
- "Environment" is a 1927 Australian silent film about a woman who poses for a revealing painting. It was one of two films produced by Vaughan C. Marshall, the other one being Caught in the Net.
- "Environment" is a musical single of Conectivers.
- released on (5 years ago)
- "Environment" is a musical album of Nemessis.
- Environment a.k.a. Climate is a measure of the average pattern of variation in temperature, humidity, atmospheric pressure, wind, precipitation, atmospheric particle count and other meteorological variables in a given region over long periods of time. Climate is different from weather, in that weather only describes the short-term conditions of these variables in a given region.
- read more about Climate
- Environment: The 'biotic environment is the biotic and abiotic surrounding of an organism or population, and consequently includes the factors that have an influence in their survival, development and evolution. The term environment can refer to different concepts, but is often used as a short form for the biophysical environment. This practice is common, for instance, among governments which entitle agencies dealing with the biophysical environment with denominations such as Environment Agency. Whereas the expression "the environment" is often used to refer to the global environment, usually in relation to humanity, the number of biophysical environments is countless, given that it is always possible to consider an additional living organism that has its own environment.
- also known as Biofyzikální prostředí, Biofizička okolina, Sredina, Okruženje, Biološka sredina, Βιοφυσικό Περιβάλλον, סביבה, Biofizičko okruženje, Биофизичко окружење, Životna sredina, Животна средина, Mediu, Medio ambiente, Ambiente biofísico, Medio biofísico, 生态环境
- Environment: In science and engineering, a system is the part of the universe that is being studied, while the environment is the remainder of the universe that lies outside the boundaries of the system. It is also known as the surroundings, and in thermodynamics, as the reservoir. Depending on the type of system, it may interact with the environment by exchanging mass, energy, linear momentum, angular momentum, electric charge, or other conserved properties. In some disciplines, such as information theory, information may also be exchanged. The environment is ignored in analysis of the system, except in regard to these interactions.
- also known as Entorno, Medio ambiente
- Environment: Environment: Science and Policy for Sustainable Development, commonly referred to as Environment magazine, is published bi-monthly in Philadelphia by Taylor & Francis. Environment is a hybrid, peer-reviewed, popular environmental science publication and website, aimed at a broad, "smart, but uninitiated" population. Its Executive Editors are Susan L. Cutter, Anthony A. Leiserowitz, Alan H. McGowan, and Tim O'Riordan.
- also known as Environment: Science and Policy for Sustainable Development
- official website: www.environmentmagazine.org
- Environment is a radio subject.
- The environment where the application is intended to run.
Phrases with Environment
- Environment Division
- Built environment
- Space environment
- Desktop environment
- Web-Based Operating Environment
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Environment
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Beyond Content by Erich Steiner, Colin Yallop
The diagram says that the most global manifestation of cline between 'wider environment' and 'narrower environment' is the hierarchy of stratification: the widest stratal environment is that of context and within that there is a hierarchy of ...
University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill: The immunosuppressive tumor environment is the major impediment to successful therapeutic vaccination in Neu transgenic mice Data detailed in 'The immunosuppressive tumor environment is the ...
by N.H. Afgan, R. Della Morte
In fact the industry's management has more social responsibilities, once environment is a public good. For improving the environmental sustainability, theindustry's management haveto consider theaccount of environmental facts, which is ...
A Systems View of Education (1992)
Concepts and Principles for Effective Practice by Bela H. Banathy
The ENVIRONMENT is the context within which a HAS exists.
First International Workshop, MMAS 2004, Kyoto, Japan, December 10-11, 2004, Revised Selected and Invited Papers by Toru Ishida, Les Gasser, Hideyuki Nakashima
The Intelligent Agent Grid Environment is a scalable, live, sustainable and intelligent networking environment where...
The Environment is the unity of the natural material world, virtual world and cognitive world. Various...
The Intelligent Agent Grid Environment is an ideal interconnection environment that involves in the objective natural world, the virtual electronic world and the subjective cognitive world.
A Strategic Analysis of Manufacturing Industries in Kenya : Textiles, Woodwork, and Metalwork by Kenneth R. Gray
The term environment refers to institutions or forces that are outside the enterprise and potentially affect the firm's...
Environmental Science (2006)
by Y.K. Singh
Environment Explained Literary environment means the surrounding external conditions influencing development or growth of people, animal or plants;
Hence, environment refers to the sum total of condition, which surround point in space and time.
environment is the representative of physical components of the earth.
by Robert H. Friis, Thomas A. Sellers
The environment refers to the domain in which the disease- causing agent may exist, survive, or originate. The external environment is the sum total of influences that are not part of the host and comprises physical, ...
by G. Devries Klein
Only suspension depositional processes occur under these conditions, and therefore the high tidal flat environment is a suspension-dominated environment. (Figure 4.1). Mid tidal flat. The mid flat environment consists of coarser sediment of ...
The Environment Dictionary (2002)
by David Kemp
The Nature of the Environment. PALYNOLOGY 302 era. Most current palynological studies, however, are ...
by Ed. K.R. Gupta
The yield ceiling must be raised and the yield gap narrowed while maintaining sustainable production and a friendly environment. Development of new varieties with higher yield potential and stability is complementary to bridging the yield gap ...
by Ed. K.R. Gupta
Environment. K.R. GUPTA ♢ Introduction The Earth is the only known planet in our solar system that supports life by virtue of its unique environmental conditions : water, an oxygen-rich atmosphere, and a suitable surface temperature.
History, Policy, and Politics by Matthew J. Lindstrom
Environment. before. 1960. Attitudes are born in history. The environmental history developed in the United States before 1960 reveals hundreds of years of laws and policy decisions created for economic prosperity and that discounted the ...
Economics, Science and Policy by R. Quentin Grafton, Harry W. Nelson, N. Ross Lambie, Paul R. Wyrwoll
Environment: A. Primer. Linwood. Pendleton. Much of what we know as environmental economics can best be thought of as applied economics. The positive side of environmental economics uses micro and macroeconomic theory to learn ...
People, Places, Ideas, and Organizations by Andy Crump
A collective Plan incorporating recommendations drawn up by the World Bank's, the United Nations Environment Programme (UNESCO, the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO )O, and the ...
The Environment and Humankind by Prof Ian Douglas, Richard John Hugget, Mike Robinson
The Environment and Humankind Prof Ian Douglas, Richard John Hugget, Mike Robinson...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Environment
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Environment
Click on an item to view that photo:
View more pictures about Environment Day.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Environment
Click on an item to play that video:
- Vocabulary ENVIRONMENT AND CONSERVATION (Lesson 16)
An English vocabulary lesson on the theme of ENVIRONMENT and CONSERVATION. For upper intermediate and advanced learners.
- Learn Environment vocabulary: Learn English vocabulary connected with the environment
Learn Environment vocabulary: Learn English vocabulary connected with the environment If you are an intermediate student of English, this video is ideal for ...
- Environment Meaning
Video shows what environment means. The surroundings of, and influences on, a particular item of interest.. The natural world or ecosystem.. All the elements ...
- Imperatives and Vocabulary about Protecting the Environment
This video covers making imperative sentences. Students learn vocabulary related to protecting the environment and conservation of resources.
- ESL Advanced Vocabulary Environment
To join a class...
- Autism Jargon: Natural Environment Training
Like Autism Live on Facebook at...
- DEFINITION OF NATURAL ENVIRONMENT
- Autism Jargon: Least Restrictive Environment
Like Autism Live on Facebook at...
- Definition of a Literacy rich Environment
- Lee Kuan Yew - Meaning of Life, Management Philosophy and the Environment
A Interview With Lee Kuan Yew Discussing questions asked by the crowd. For...
- MS Office 2010. Excel Basic: Unit 1 Topic A: Terminology and Environment
This video introduces some of the common Excel terminology and the becoming more used to the Excel 2010 environment. Definitely things everyone should be ...
- Definition Environment
- "Environment friendly Product Explanation"
Duration: 1 min 10 sec. Client : Boris Panov State: dorval, Canada.
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = Work environment services
- Adapting and Living Together (alternative explanation) | Ecology and Environment
An alternative introduction to the chapter "Adapting and Living Together" within the Ecology and Environment topic of the virtual school GCSE Biology. Teacher ...
- Desktop environment Meaning
Video shows what desktop environment means. A complete graphical user interface solution to operate a computer.. desktop environment pronunciation. How to ...
- Building Vocabulary in a Caring Environment
- How The Global Business Environment Affects Business: Explanation & Examples
1 - The Dynamic Business Environment.
- Environment Unit Vocabulary
AGIS 5th Grade Environment Unit vocabulary video.
- English Vocabulary - Environment
- Death, Life, World, Environment, Language
- Creating a Language-Rich Environment
Creating a Language-Rich Environment.
- CARTA: How Language Evolves: Rachel Mayberry: How the Environment Shapes Language in the Brain
- Situation Understanding Bot Through Language and Environment
Situation Understanding Bot Through Language and Environment This video is a demonstration of a fully autonomous robot which can be commanded using ...
- Trivia - Encyclopedic Dictionary of the Environment
Can you answer these trivia? All information on the environment and the Dominican Republic are in...
- Language Learning Environment of Young Children with Autism
Delayed and disordered communication and language development is common among young children diagnosed with autism and related developmental ...
- InterState: A Language and Environment for Expressing Interface Behavior
InterState: A Language and Environment for Expressing Interface Behavior Stephen Oney, Brad Myers, Joel Brandt Abstract: InterState is a new programming ...
- Language and the Healing Environment
In this 12 minute educational video, Deborah Hedges, Administrator at the Wilson Health Care Center at Asbury Methodist Village outlines how shifting to a ...
- ELTDP Symposium, A Language Rich Environment; The Potential Impact on Learning, Ganesh
A Language Rich Environment: The Potential Impact on Learning Ganesh presented his research on what a language rich classroom is and why is it a must in ...
- The Leisure Language and Environment
Leisure is an experimental language and environment in development now and will hopefully help people to learn computing. Leisure runs in a browser and ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Environment!
Click on an item to play that video:
- Cool Sign Language Teaching Environment
This is a really cool sign lanaguage teaching application that gives you live feedback on your sign performance use gesture analysis techniques.
- EDF | Built environment | Sign language
Translation: Disabled people should be able to access buildings and facilities in the same way as everybody else. Accessibility is first and foremost a rights issue ...
Quotes about Environment
It is futile for an artist to try to create an environment because you have an environment around you all the time. Any living organism has an environment. (Carl Andre)
more quotes about environment...
Scrabble value of E1N1V4I1R1O1N1M3E1N1T1
The value of this 11-letter word is 16 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Environment to see it in context!