Evil appears in the following pangram (a sentence using every letter of the alphabet at least once):
- Grumpy wizards make toxic brew for the evil Queen and Jack. (Used by Google Fonts; 48 letters)
Evil appears in many palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- live evil
- evil olive
- Live not on evil!
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun evil:
Comparison of usage frequency between the noun evil and its most common antonym:
Comparison of usage frequency between the adjective evil and its most common antonym:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun evil
- Definition of the adjective evil
- Phrases with Evil
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Evil
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Evil
- Photos about Evil
- Video language resources about Evil
- Quotes about Evil
- Scrabble value of E1V4I1L1
- Anagrams of EVIL
- Share this page
The word evil is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun evil
What does evil mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: evils
- morally objectionable behavior
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- synonyms of evil: immorality / iniquity / wickedness
- more generic words: evildoing / transgression = the act of transgressing
- more specific terms:
- that which causes harm or destruction or misfortune
- example: the evil that men do lives after them; the good is oft interred with their bones
- lexical domain: Attributes - nouns denoting attributes of people and objects
- more generic words: bad / badness = that which is below standard or expectations as of ethics or decency
- more specific term: Four Horsemen = the four evils that will come at the end of the world: conquest rides a white horse; war a red horse; famine a black horse
- the quality of being morally wrong in principle or practice
- example: attempts to explain the origin of evil in the world
- lexical domain: Attributes - nouns denoting attributes of people and objects
- synonym of evil: evilness
- antonym of evil: good
- more generic word: immorality = the quality of not being in accord with standards of right or good conduct
- more specific words:
- malevolence / malevolency / malice = the quality of threatening evil
- malignance / malignancy / malignity = quality of being disposed to evil
- balefulness / maleficence / mischief = the quality or nature of being harmful or evil
- worst = the greatest damage or wickedness of which one is capable
- nefariousness / wickedness / ugliness / vileness = the quality of being wicked
- reprehensibility = being reprehensible
- villainousness / villainy = the quality of evil by virtue of villainous behavior
- perverseness / perversity = deliberately deviating from what is good
- wrongdoing / error = departure from what is ethically acceptable
- frailty / vice = moral weakness
Definition of the adjective evil
What does evil mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: more evil / eviler / eviller (less preferred form) | most evil / evilest / evillest (less preferred form)
- morally bad or wrong
- examples: evil purposes | an evil influence | evil deeds
- antonym: good
- similar: atrocious / flagitious / grievous / monstrous; bad; black / dark / sinister; corruptive / perversive / pestiferous; demonic / diabolic / diabolical / fiendish / hellish / infernal / satanic / unholy; despicable / slimy / ugly / unworthy / vile / worthless / wretched; devilish / diabolic / diabolical / mephistophelean / mephistophelian; evil-minded
- attribute: evilness = the quality of being morally wrong in principle or practice
- see also: bad; immoral; offensive; wrong; unrighteous; wicked
- having the nature of vice
- having or exerting a malignant influence
Alternative definition of the adjective evil
- Intending to harm; malevolent.
- Morally corrupt.
- synonym: malicious
- See Unpleasant.
- synonym: malevolent
- "Evil" is a 2003 Swedish drama film directed by Mikael Håfström, based on Jan Guillou's semi-autobiographical novel with the same name from 1981, and starring Andreas Wilson, Henrik Lundström and Gustaf Skarsgård. The film is set in a private boarding school in the 1950s with institutional violence as its theme.
- also known as Ondskan
- countries: Sweden, Denmark
- languages: Swedish Language, Finnish Language
- producers: Ingemar Leijonborg & Hans Lönnerheden
- executive producer: Kim Magnusson
- production design by Anna Asp
- written by Mikael Håfström, Hans Gunnarsson, Klas Östergren
- based on "Evil" by Jan Guillou
- Andreas Wilson as Erik Ponti
- Henrik Lundström as Pierre Tanguy
- Gustaf Skarsgård as Otto Silverhielm
- Linda Zilliacus as Marja
- Jesper Salén as Dahlén
- Filip Berg as Johan
- Fredrik af Trampe as von Schenken
- Richard Danielsson as Karlberg
- Martin Svane as Leffler
- Rustan Blomqvist as Bergvall
- Peter Eggers as Von Rosen
- Per Westergren as Lewenheusen
- Marie Richardson as Erik's Mother
- Kjell Bergqvist as Gunnar Ekengren
- Johan Rabaeus as Erik's Stepfather
- music by Francis Shaw
- genre: Drama
- tagline: It's time to take a stand.
- released on (12 years ago)
- read more about Evil (film)
- "Evil", also known as Το Κακό in Greek, is 2005 Greek zombie horror film. The film is notable for being the first Greek zombie movie.
- also known as To Kako
- country: Greece
- language: Greek Language
- director: Yorgos Noussias
- producers: Lambros Trifillis, Claudio Bolivar, Petros Nousias & Yorgos Noussias
- written by Yorgos Noussias
- Meletis Georgiadis as Meletis
- Yannis Katsambas as Giannis
- Pepi Moschovakou as Marina
- Argyris Thanassoulas as Argyris
- Stavroula Thomopoulou as Dimitra
- Mary Tsoni as Jenny
- Nikos Sabalis as Andreas
- Andreas Kontopoulos as Lieutenant Vakirtzis
- Louizos Aslanidis
- Daphne Larouni as Dafni
- Stathis Kokkoris as Friend in Football Match
- Claudio Bolivar as Man in Night Club
- Christos Houliaras as Garage Zombie
- cinematography by Claudio Bolivar & Petros Nousias
- edited by Yorgos Noussias
- music by Grigoris Grigoropoulos, Thanos Karabatziakis
- set decoration by Lina Motsiou
- genres: Horror, Action Film, Horror comedy, Comedy
- released on (10 years ago)
- "Evil" a.k.a. "The Spreading Ground" is a 2000 Canadian crime film directed by Derek Vanlint. It was entered into the 22nd Moscow International Film Festival.
- read more about The Spreading Ground
- "Evil" is a film.
- "Evil": Ondskan is a Swedish novel by Jan Guillou.
- also known as "Ondskan", The Evil
- language: Swedish Language
- genre: Autobiographical novel
- subject: Music
- released in (34 years ago)
- "Evil" is a book by Paul Ricœur.
- also known as "Evil: a challenge to philosophy and theology"
Evil is a fictional character from the 2009 film 1 Day.
- "Evil" is a song by New York City-based post-punk revival band Interpol and is featured on the band's second album, Antics. It was released 3 January 2005 as the second single from that album, charting at #18 in the UK Singles Chart and #24 on Billboard magazines Modern Rock Tracks chart.
- "Evil", sometimes listed as "Evil", is a Chicago blues standard written by Willie Dixon. Howlin' Wolf recorded the song for Chess Records in 1954. It was included on the 1959 compilation album Moanin' in the Moonlight. When he re-recorded it for The Howlin' Wolf Album in 1969, "Evil" became Wolf's last charting single.
- music and lyrics by Willie Dixon
- "Evil" is the third single from the album Light & Magic by the electronic music group Ladytron. It was released in 2003 and reached a position of #44 on the UK Singles Chart.
- "Evil" is a song by R&B band Earth, Wind & Fire which was written by Philip Bailey and Maurice White. It was released in 1973 as a single and included on the band's 1973 album, Head to the Sky.
- Evil is a song by alternative rock band Grinderman, written collectively by Nick Cave, Warren Ellis, Martyn P. Casey and Jim Sclavunos. The song was featured as the fifth track on the band's second and final studio album, Grinderman 2. On Record Store Day 2011, "Evil" was released as a limited edition single, on 12" vinyl with an enclosed CD, with various remixes.
- lyrics by Nick Cave
- "Evil" is a musical single of Ladytron.
- released on (11 years ago)
- "Evil" is the 2005 single by Interpol.
- released on (10 years ago)
- "Evil" is a musical album of Howlin' Wolf.
- released on (6 years ago)
- "Evil" is a musical single of Monster Magnet.
- released in (23 years ago)
- Evil was a garage rock band from Miami, Florida, active between late 1965 and early 1967. They were known for a hard–driving, sometimes, thrashing 60s punk sound that combined elements of blues, rockabilly, and British invasion influences. Their second drummer, Jeff Allen, who joined after the breakup of another Miami band, The Montells, made occasional visits to England, where he got a chance, firsthand, to see many of the top British bands play live and would then bring home his observations to share with fellow band members.
- Evil is a musical group.
- albums: "Hammerstorm", "A Reflection of the Past / Where the Sun was Never Born", "Southern / Carelian Black Metal Holocaust"
- Evil is a musical group.
- album: "Evil / Sortilège"
There are other groups with in their name, like Evil-Lyn, Pop Evil, Evil Army, Evil Damn, Evil Dead, Evil Eyes, Evil Jake, Evil Nine, Evil Stig, Evil twin, Dream Evil, Evil Blood, Evil Devil, Evil Skins, Evil Wrath, Evil's Toy, Age of Evil, Evil Beaver, Evil Empire.
Evil, in a general context, is taken as the absence or complete opposite of that which is ascribed as being good. Often, evil is used to denote profound immorality. In certain religious contexts, evil has been described as a supernatural force. Definitions of evil vary, as does the analysis of its root motives and causes. However, elements that are commonly associated with evil involve unbalanced behavior involving expediency, selfishness, ignorance, or neglect.
- also known as 惡
Phrases with Evil
Phrases starting with the word Evil:
Phrases ending with the word Evil:
Other phrase containing the word Evil:
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Evil
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Orlando O. Espín, James B. Nickoloff
EVIL, PROBLEM OF conviction that the world as created is good and that a plentitude of good /being resides in creation as a whole. Ontologically, the Augustinian and Thomist traditions define evil as privatio boni, an "absence of the ...
For the Use of Students by John R. Clark Hall
evil, ill, bad, wicked, ...
by Rosemary Guiley
evil eye The esbat may take place indoors or outdoors. A coven may have a regular meeting place or rotate it among the homes of coveners. The coveners may wear loose clothing such as robes, or they may be skyclad (nude). Animals ...
by John J. Pilch
When the first hired in the story realize that the last hired are being treated with favoritism, they cast an evil eye on the owner of the vineyard. This is serious, a matter of life and death. Jesus' audience would be horrified to hear him include it in ...
by Jean-Charles Seigneuret
AVERILL EVIL Broadly speaking, evil is simply the difference between the way one wishes the world to be...
Encyclopedia of Judaism (2005)
by Sara E. Karesh, Mitchell M. Hurvitz
evil eye Further reading: Esther Hertzog, Immigrants and Bureaucrats: Ethiopians in an Israeli Absorption Center (New York: Berghahn Books, 1999); David Kessler, The Falashas: A Short History of the Ethiopian Jews (London and ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Evil
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Evil
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: CS_McMahon
Photo credit: BPI Multimedia
The entrance to Christ Church Cemetery
Photo credit: Scott M
The insane killer, Micheal Myers.
Photo credit: Helgi Halldórsson/Freddi
Photo credit: VBC17
Photo credit: Odin Fotografía (aka dskciado)
Photo credit: 9eorge
Slide from an Ignite Baltimore presentation
Photo credit: llimllib
- Evil Geoff
A wee bit late.
Photo credit: timparkinson
- Evil bunny
Photo credit: engla
- Evil Tom
Photo credit: Ben Dickson (dbr)
- Evil clock is evil
It will wake you up at 5am...
Photo credit: derpoly
Photo credit: _iBaNe_
- Shadow Being Evil
He just looks evil doesn't he?
Can be used for manips, post a link though.
Photo credit: Miranda...!
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Evil
Click on an item to play that video:
- Evil Definition Scott Peck
According to M. Scott Peck, an evil person: 1. Is consistently self deceiving, with the intent of avoiding guilt and maintaining a self image of perfection 2. Deceives ...
- Doug Casey Most brilliant 15 Minutes Evil Definition
- Moorwet Definition, Beautiful Sister Teaching Truth about Romance is Evil
- DJ INTER ft EVIL B & MEKAR - AWOL & JUNGLE MANIA - DEFINITION D&B ARENA (OCT 2014)
DJ INTER ft EVIL B & MEKAR - AWOL & JUNGLE MANIA DEF:INITION & SWEET TOOTH D&B ARENA - OCT 2014...
- Vocabulary is apparently evil...
- Maps of Meaning: 10 Figuring Evil (TVO)
Professor Jordan Peterson Subtitled in English and Translated into Farsi by [email protected] English Playlist: ...
- Evil Meaning
Video shows what evil means. Intending to harm; malevolent.. Morally corrupt.. Unpleasant.. evil pronunciation. How to pronounce, definition by Wiktionary ...
- Poll evil Meaning
Video shows what poll evil means. an inflammation identical with fistulous withers except that it is on the poll of a horse. Poll evil Meaning. How to pronounce ...
- Evil vocabulary book!
Bum bum bum bummmmm.
- Projections - No Evil *Explanation*
- Toni Morrison on language, evil and 'the white gaze'
Nobel Prize-winning author Toni Morrison, M.A. '55, returned to Cornell March 7, 2013 for a conversation about literature, politics and, especially, language.
See also the pronunciation examples of Evil!
Quotes about Evil
Scrabble value of E1V4I1L1
The value of this 4-letter word is 7 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of EVIL
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of Evil!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Evil to see it in context!